• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somnid said:
For everything else it's a bad idea to use the touch screen anyway. I can't think of any DS game that required both a direction input and the touch screen whose controls I would describe as good. This is why it's unecessary to have 2 sticks and if anything is saving devs from themselves.

If the new screen responds better to sliding thumbs, fps style controls would work well while holding the DS normally. They kind of do already with the thumb strap (or the edge of an overgrown thumbnail), but a wider, borderless screen would improve this quite a bit.

v0yce

Somnid said:
If you're looking for shooters it doesn't get much better than Metroid Prime Hunters in terms of controls. This is also the type of game that doesn't need a stick.

For everything else it's a bad idea to use the touch screen anyway. I can't think of any DS game that required both a direction input and the touch screen whose controls I would describe as good. This is why it's unecessary to have 2 sticks and if anything is saving devs from themselves.

How many buttons can you use while using touch and dpad/analog stick? One. That's why it sucks. And on of the many reasons MP Hunters control sucked.

Durante

Celine said:
However I believe the main problem for 3D right now isn't only the tech but the lack of unified standard to encode in 3D and 3D contents .
3D (that is, 3D rendered) games are already 3D content. I don't see the need to "encode" anything there. Or are you talking about movies?

KevinCow

Banned
Made a couple edits to this one, I think it looks a lot better and less busy.

1gm79h.png

Though I'd still worry about my palm hitting the sticks. If it does have sticks, I think maybe the it should be a bit wider, and the sticks should be under the screen like this:

ra2jpy.png

zoukka

You guys are just torturing yourself in the end with those analog sticks. You think suddenly Zelda stops using the touch controls and go dual analog :b

I mean think about a handheld as powerful as the Wii... with touch controls and old style dual analog. Nintendo would kill the Wii as that thing launched.

donny2112

charlequin said:
The 3DS will also have an advantage over the PSP in this sense in that it'll launch at a time when no home console that anyone actually develops third-party games for is comparable in power and therefore there will be no obvious source of ports of current games.

The lack of Wii third-party support was all part of Nintendo's plan to get third-parties to put new games on the next DS instead of Wii ports. It's all according to keikaku.

Celine

Durante said:
3D (that is, 3D rendered) games are already 3D content. I don't see the need to "encode" anything there. Or are you talking about movies?
Yes, I was talking about movies with the "encode" thing.
I know that there is the nVidia driver that , using the Z buffering, can produce 3D ( stereoscopic ) output but the effect shouldn't be perfect and must be tweaked to get good result ( at least that's what I heard, never tried it ).

As of now 3D in gaming is treated as a bonus and nothing more because there isn't readily available a system that can provide the experience first hand as a de facto standard ( like the touch screen on the DS ).
With 3DS, Nintendo would bring its know how and the needed awareness to the general public in a similar way they did in the past with motion controls.
Still I believe 3D visual won't be the only defining feature of Nintendo next handheld.

ntropy

i'm left-handed and i'd rather learn to use the stylus with my right-hand than have two analog sticks cluttering up the form. one is good enough

KevinCow

Banned
ntropy said:
i'm left-handed and i'd rather learn to use the stylus with my right-hand than have two analog sticks cluttering up the form. one is good enough

I'm right-handed and I'd rather have proper camera control than worry about how my system looks.

Mantorok

Raydeen said:
Nice quality render - but that's moving too far in the opposite direction. Love or lothe Apple and the iPad - the minimal buttons (or no buttons) is the way the industry is going. One of the reasons I'm dreading Natal - I don't want to jump around infront of my TV screen making stupid gestures...gimme a controller pad anytime (grumpy old bastard/)

Don't worry, I'm sure that we'll go around this huge merry-go-round and 10 years later they'll realise that controllers 'are' still the best method of input and it'll back to controller wars - yay!

KevinCow said:
I'm right-handed and I'd rather have proper camera control than worry about how my system looks.
I'm right-handed and I'd rather have an intelligently and thoroughly tested camera than an entire stick to control the camera. I also think that the FPS genre is silly on a handheld.

ntropy

KevinCow said:
i'm not worried about the looks. i'm worried about comfort—or does form play no part in this?

KAL2006

Banned
neo2046 said:
another fans mock-up
ELIYWIG92z_CcxXZtpct8KASjExdWHmW

I think this design is perfect. Just switch around the analog stick placement with the buttons and the D Pad. I also like the idea of the speakers giving the analog sticks extra space. Anyways to all the dual analog haters, if there is an analog stick 2 is needed to support lefties. Not only that dual analogs are needed, just look at the PSP. People saying that it's confusing and complicating for casuals to have dual analogs are crazy. PS controllers have had dual analogs for years, I think people have gotten use to them. Also not everygame has to be dual analog games, I'm guessing the majority of games will still be touch screen games for casuals, it's just good to let the developers have a choice if they want to create a dual analog game.

I have also checked out this design
http://hamstern.air-nifty.com/mogumogu/2010/04/post-3c64.html
Seems like a pretty nifty idea. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I think it's ok, as long as the screen part is a lot slimmer and lighter. However I still prefer clamshell, just so I can have the screen protected.

KevinCow said:
Made a couple edits to this one, I think it looks a lot better and less busy.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1gm79h.png

Though I'd still worry about my palm hitting the sticks. If it does have sticks, I think maybe the it should be a bit wider, and the sticks should be under the screen like this:

Lol that one is particularly nice, though Im still a bit on the side of the necessity of two joystiqs. Though I like how it sinks into the speakers side.

turnbuckle

Vinci said:
Many of the mock-ups in this thread done by GAFfers have been far superior to that. HAL's earlier one was beautiful, IMO, and I'll be disappointed by whatever Nintendo finally releases with on account of it.

Fuck you, HAL. ;)

EDIT: This one specifically...

3DS_mockup3b_ryancooper2010.jpg

I like this one a lot.

Vinci

Danish
At best, we're getting one analog stick, folks. The dual analog sticks concept isn't going to happen. Nintendo doesn't give a damn about developers making FPS titles for the thing. And honestly, I've yet to understand why any of you do.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'd prefer a design where one configuration was just the two screens opened up beside each other with minimal/no margin between them. Just two screens on top of each other.

Then a second configuration where the controls on either side of the bottom screen slide out. Maybe with a pop-out analog stick that can be compressed down before sliding in.

So basically the controls can be hidden when not needed, for pure touch apps/games. Could allow it to look a lot sleeker and more minimalist in that config.

edit - yeah, like that Shogmaster design...except maybe not swivelly, but just more simply slide-outs on either side.

Would there be a lot of precision lost if Nintendo just made the analog sticks really tiny so they don't take up a lot of space, but still somewhat long? I'm not sure.

Also, it would be a cool idea to place two trackballs on the bottom of the 3DS, after all you'll still have a lot of fingers left to use those. This may be a bit tricky to manufacture, though.

KevinCow

Banned
Vinci said:
At best, we're getting one analog stick, folks. The dual analog sticks concept isn't going to happen. Nintendo doesn't give a damn about developers making FPS titles for the thing. And honestly, I've yet to understand why any of you do.

The right stick is used for more than shooters. It's a vital part of most 3D games. Given the rumors of it being as powerful as a Gamecube and the focus on stereoscopic 3D, we'll probably be seeing far more full 3D games than the DS, and it's going to really suck if there's not a good camera control solution.

And yeah, it would be great if developers just made great auto cameras from the start, but I've played enough PSP and Wii games to know that they aren't going to do that just because the system lacks a right stick. Instead, they'll force camera controls onto the shoulder buttons or d-pad, which either removes two potential buttons and an axis of camera control or forces you to relinquish control of your character to move the camera.

Vinci

Danish
KevinCow said:
The right stick is used for more than shooters. It's a vital part of most 3D games. Given the rumors of it being as powerful as a Gamecube and the focus on stereoscopic 3D, we'll probably be seeing far more full 3D games than the DS, and it's going to really suck if there's not a good camera control solution.

Honestly, till we see the thing it's really impossible to conjecture what sort of games are going to be put on it. The fact that the whole 'console games on a handheld' movement didn't pan out spectacularly with the PSP tells me that publishers either have learned their lesson or will continue to wonder why they aren't selling as well as Nintendo games on the thing.

And yeah, it would be great if developers just made great auto cameras from the start, but I've played enough PSP and Wii games to know that they aren't going to do that just because the system lacks a right stick. Instead, they'll force camera controls onto the shoulder buttons or d-pad, which either removes two potential buttons and an axis of camera control or forces you to relinquish control of your character to move the camera.

True - but if the developer can't come up with a good auto-camera, why am I going to support their choice of a lazy, half-ass option? Again: I don't see how arguing on behalf of developer inability or laziness is really endearing them to potential customers.

KAL2006

Banned
Shogmaster said:

Very nice. I can see Nintendo actually using version B with added analog sticks.

Here are the reasons why
1. Get a big widescreen
2. Still backwards compatible with DS game, with the vertical setup
3. Casuals will love touchscreen mode as there will be no buttons, think of iPhone
4. With the widescreen buttons setup, there is enough space to have dual analogs at the same time you can hide all the buttons and analogs so casuals don't get scared

Durante

I really like that sliding joint concept.

Celine said:
I know that there is the nVidia driver that , using the Z buffering, can produce 3D ( stereoscopic ) output but the effect shouldn't be perfect and must be tweaked to get good result ( at least that's what I heard, never tried it ).
Actually it has nothing to do with the Z buffer, it just renders the scene from 2 slightly different viewpoints. It is true though that some tweaking is necessary, but that is mostly because 3D vision is used on devices ranging from 22" monitors to 100" projected screens.

Polari

I don't think the form will be that different from the DS's. I think one of the innovations could be some versatility to the controls. Imagine a recessed "controller port" on each side of the lower screen in which you can plug in an analog stick, d-pad, set of face buttons or even like a trackball or "vitality sensor". Ship the system with just the analog stick and face buttons, and you retain the simplicity that makes the product appeal to the masses, while not alienating the hardcore or lefties and create a potentially lucrative line of accessories.

Dogenzaka

Banned
These concepts are too wacky, lack cohesion, and look too jumbly and complicated, like the GCN controller.

Remember, Nintendo likes to go Apple.

The 3DS will probably look more stripped down, sleeker and focused than the DSi or DS Lite.

If there are analog sticks, expect them to be very fitly-snugged and inoffensive to the design of the handheld. Not these big jumbly boobies sticking out of plastic.

They'll either stick with a much simpler and thinner clamshell design, maybe even some brushed aluminium or a curved "seashell" design....

Or they'll go with a one-giant-screen approach with a symmetrical and simplistic button layout.

This one gets the idea (though I insist it will have 2 analog sticks, or none)
3DS_mockup3b_ryancooper2010.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
KevinCow said:

You could use the second screen as a trackpad (if it is the right type of screen, and doesn't require a stylus). My laptop trackpad is smaller than a DS screen and it is serviceable as a mouse replacement, although the DS form factor might make it less feasible.

Dogenzaka said:
Keep your shitty opinions to yourself.

MPH was beast. <3

Yeah it was, only when there was no online play and when people didnt implement cheats and other things to hamper the gameplay.

I just cant see playing an FPS on any handheld. If one is playing them when they are traveling then there be tons of sensitivity options since the road is bumpy or such. I cant see playing it while walking or doing any other motion. Perhaps FPS's should just stick to being on consoles. (though is playing an FPS on iPod Tocuh/iPhone any better without any joysticks at all?)

Dogenzaka

Banned
bmf said:
It was a shitty game with a shitty control scheme. May have been decent with a proper control scheme.

You are wrong and you should be ashamed.

If one is playing them when they are traveling then there be tons of sensitivity options since the road is bumpy or such. I cant see playing it while walking or doing any other motion. Perhaps FPS's should just stick to being on consoles. (though is playing an FPS on iPod Tocuh/iPhone any better without any joysticks at all?)

I never had trouble playing MPH in the car. Can you use an iPhone in the car? Seriously, it doesn't take advanced motor skills.

Everyone needs to stop "dooming" genres to certain platforms.

If you don't like the game, don't fucking buy it.

bmf said:
It was a shitty game with a shitty control scheme. May have been decent with a proper control scheme.

It was a disgrace to the Metroid name but it was a good Quake clone that had fantastic FPS controls.

The fact that we haven't seen any other good FPS games on the DS that can compete with MPH is an even bigger disgrace.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
neo2046 said:
yes, that is fake :lol
the poster originally is ready this for April Fool
however he keeped on changing the idea and missed the best timing to reveal this

if the real 3DS has all of the tech he mentioned in the article, then it is really a monster :lol

- GC level graphic, VC transferable from Wii
- light sensor touch screen for touching
- light sensor touch screen for scanning (you see it says it can scan the Weekly Jump magazine)
- upscaling function (works for both 2D, polygons) when playing back DS games
- 2 switchable digital cameras for 3D photo shooting, 3D pointing, 3D assembling
- mobile phone function, available to send 3D photo, 3D assemble video
- etc ...

:lol :lol
Haha, I missed completely the scanner and mobile phone thingys :lol

Dogenzaka said:
You are wrong and you should be ashamed.
I would be happy to give it another try with a proper control scheme. Mouse/keyboard, Dual Analog (either Metroid Prime style or otherwise), or Wii style. I believe I still have that waste of $30 on my shelf, if I haven't goozexed it yet.

Dogenzaka

Banned
bmf said:
I would be happy to give it another try with a proper control scheme. Mouse/keyboard, Dual Analog (either Metroid Prime style or otherwise), or Wii style. I believe I still have that waste of $30 on my shelf, if I haven't goozexed it yet.

You honestly believe Wii or mouse/keyboard is better? You don't even have direct input with those control schemes. With the DS stylus, you literally touch where to shoot. It doesn't get more direct than that.

Dogenzaka said:
You honestly believe Wii or mouse/keyboard is better? You don't even have direct input with those control schemes. With the DS stylus, you literally touch where to shoot. It doesn't get more direct than that.
And I absolutely hated it. Put it down after 2 hours and never picked it up again.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nuclear Muffin said:
It was a disgrace to the Metroid name but it was a good Quake clone that had fantastic FPS controls.

The fact that we haven't seen any other good FPS games on the DS that can compete with MPH is an even bigger disgrace.
This.

Dogenzaka said:
These concepts are too wacky, lack cohesion, and look too jumbly and complicated, like the GCN controller.

Remember, Nintendo likes to go Apple.

The 3DS will probably look more stripped down, sleeker and focused than the DSi or DS Lite.

You gotta remember that those concepts are from almost 3 years ago and that is before there was a DSi(& iPhone?). I don't expect 3DS to look anything like that, I was just pointing out how that fake concept reminded me of the designs we played with years ago when we were speculating on how the DS could evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom