• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3d10n

JoshuaJSlone said:
Games that are just 3DS enhanced seems really unlikely to me. If the "GameCube level" rumors are at all true, this isn't just a half-assed upgrade like GBC was to GB, or DSi was to DS, that would make games compatible across both easy.

Thinking on how it could still be done, though, maybe they'd have to do it through a sort of virtual platform? That is, have specs and standards for a true half-assed 3D upgrade to the original DS, which 3DS can then be backward compatible with. It's just... the half-assed 3D original DS never exists on its own.
It should be possible if Nintendo provides a "transitional" API of sorts, which allows the same code to be compiled for DS(i) and 3DS.

This basically means the 3DS-enhanced cart would need two "executables" in it (and I'm almost certain that's what happens with DSi-enhanced titles), the 3DS one running in a higher resolution, with texture filtering and stereo 3D, but using the same models/textures as the DS version.

AceBandage said:
Why FFXI?
JonnyBrad said:
I assume he means VI
Possibly, but not necessarily. Here's something I wrote elsewhere a week ago:

Me minus a week said:
So I was wondering the other day when someone will seriously try to put an MMORPG on a portable. Certainly as far as processor tech goes they've been as capable as computers were for the early ones for quite some time, but storage was lacking. With flash storage so cheap now, that's not really a problem anymore. The 3DS and whatever follows the PSP will probably have at least a few gigabytes of storage standard, with expandability to dozens of gigabytes through SD cards (or MemoryStick or whatever Sony's latest is).

That out of the way, I was thinking it might be easier to just port an old game, rather than risk something all-new that might just flop as do most of them for PCs. So the ideal candidate would be something old enough to be low enough tech to play on ~GCN level hardware, yet still enjoyed and active enough that people wouldn't look at it as a joke. It would also need to be playable with limited controls--something slightly less capable than a PS2/GCN generation controller, but with touch screen there to help make up the difference. It would also help to be something popular in Japan, since that's the place where portables have exploded most strongly and become the dominant gaming machines over home consoles.

So basically what it came down to is I'm thinking it would be pretty interesting if Final Fantasy XI was put on the portables, to keep it relevant (and keep moneys coming in) even long after Final Fantasy XIV releases. Also, Vana'diel in 3D would be pretty cool.

m3d10n said:
It should be possible if Nintendo provides a "transitional" API of sorts, which allows the same code to be compiled for DS(i) and 3DS.

This basically means the 3DS-enhanced cart would need two "executables" in it (and I'm almost certain that's what happens with DSi-enhanced titles), the 3DS one running in a higher resolution, with texture filtering and stereo 3D, but using the same models/textures as the DS version.
Hmm, would be good. I believe GB/GBC titles did the same.

Well sure, an MMO would be possible on the 3DS, especially if it's close to GC power.
Though, unless it actually does use a 3G connection, I just don't see it being all that feasible.

orioto said:
Full circle, let's bring the shaking mock ups now:lol

Heh youre right, lol.
FFVI-1.gif

Mario-1.gif

But in all seriousness though, someone should do it to that new Pokemon battle screen.

KevinCow

Banned
Oh are we posting pictures again.

2psim2h.png

Incidentally I feel like an idiot for not thinking of using in-game screenshot modes like this earlier.

Businessweek fluff piece:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...o-be-biggest-handheld-product-since-2004.html

April 13 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.’s forthcoming 3-D player is the company’s biggest product introduction from the handheld business since it began offering the DS machine in 2004, according to the game maker’s U.S. head.

“We have ideas of what we want to bring to the consumer that we can’t do with the current” DS model, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview yesterday. “The Nintendo 3DS for us is our next handheld platform.”

The Kyoto-based game maker, projecting its first annual drop in DS machine sales, joins Sony Corp. in embracing the 3-D technology that helped “Avatar” break box-office records. The 3DS, going on sale this fiscal year, will compete against Sony’s PlayStation Portable and Apple Inc.’s iPad in the market for portable game players.

Nintendo, maker of the best selling Wii console, last month said the new handheld device will allow users to see 3-D images without the need for special glasses. Fils-Aime declined to give further details about the product, saying the company’s announcements at the E3 show in Los Angeles in June will focus on the player.

Fils-Aime likened the 3DS’s debut to when Nintendo transitioned from the Game Boy to the DS. Since the introduction in November 2004, DS player sales have exceeded 125 million, according to Nintendo’s Web site. Game Boy, the company’s first handheld platform, sold more than 200 million units since the first model went on sale in 1989.

Software Sales Slump

The company in January projected the number of DS players sold would drop 3.8 percent to 30 million and software sales slump 24 percent in the 12 months ended March 31. The decline in the handheld business, combined with a 23 percent drop in Wii sales, would reduce the company’s net income 18 percent to 230 billion yen ($2.5 billion), Nintendo said at the time.

The touch-screen iPad, which can be used to play games, surf the Internet, watch movies and read books, sold 450,000 units in less than a week after its release in the U.S. on April 3, Apple said earlier this month. More than 7 million iPads may be sold globally in the first year, according to El Segundo, California-based researcher iSuppli Corp.

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, expects combined sales of the iPhone and iPod Touch to reach 100 million units by summer, Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs said this month. Both devices allow users to download games, media and software programs.

Nintendo fell 1.1 percent to close at 31,300 yen on the Osaka Securities Exchange, narrowing its gain this year to 42 percent. Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average slid 0.8 percent.

3-D PlayStation

Sony, which has said it will update software to allow PlayStation 3 machines to run games in 3-D, plans to start selling game titles as well as Bravia televisions capable of showing the format in June. PS3 users will have to wear special glasses to play 3-D games, the company said.

“Fundamentally, this business is about software, not hardware. Software is what drives engagement by the consumer,” Fils-Aime said. “For us technology is not the end, it’s the means to an end, which is around a great consumer experience.”

Cipherr

-WindYoshi- said:
Maybe, unless the PSP2 with a 3D screen and much better graphics is somehow marketed at a similar price.

I dont even understand the thinking of this here. The current PSP has a better screen and better graphics than the current DS. And we arent seeing worldwide parity in sales at all.

camineet

Banned

“We have ideas of what we want to bring to the consumer that we can’t do with the current” DS model, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview yesterday. “The Nintendo 3DS for us is our next handheld platform.”

cannot wait.

camineet

Banned
Nintendo to push 3DS as its next handheld gaming pillar
Leo Chan - Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 | 11:51AM (PT)
Not just any old DS revamp, but a whole new platform

Nintendo was recently forced to make a hasty paper announcement for its mysterious 3DS, a new handheld boasting screens with built-in 3D technology that don't require special eyewear. Additional details are expected to remain slim until the days leading to this year's E3 (ground zero for the official 3DS unveiling), but initial reports had noted that the 3D in the Sharp-designed screens is attributed to a unique parallax scrolling visual effect.

One thing is certain, Nintendo won't be treating the 3DS as just another iteration of its DS handheld. In an interview with Bloomberg, Nintendo of America's president Reggie Fils-Aime confirms the 3DS will officially be their next generation platform for handheld gaming, like the transition from the GameBoy product line to the DS.

When quizzed about the stronger competition which the 3DS will find itself facing, particularly from Apple's App Store and free to mostly-free social network gaming, Fils-Aime is confident that Nintendo still has the content support where it counts:

"Fundamentally, this business is about software, not hardware. Software is what drives engagement by the consumer. For us technology is not the end, it’s the means to an end, which is around a great consumer experience."

Nintendo's 3DS announcements are still scheduled for this coming E3 in June. That's when we'll likely be treated to both launch and pricing info for the new handheld, in addition to the launch library.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/13598-nintendo-to-push-3ds-as-its-next-handheld-gaming-pillar/

KevinCow said:

2psim2h.png

Incidentally I feel like an idiot for not thinking of using in-game screenshot modes like this earlier.

Since Banjo skipped DS I find it unlikely he'll make it to the 3DS, but I'd LOVE to see DK64 3DS, imagine that remade in GC graphics! :Q

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
camineet said:
"Fundamentally, this business is about software, not hardware. Software is what drives engagement by the consumer. For us technology is not the end, it’s the means to an end, which is around a great consumer experience."
Faith in 3DS +1

camineet

Banned
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20002388-17.html

April 13, 2010 3:34 PM PDT
Nintendo: The 3DS is no DS
by Don Reisinger

Although Nintendo has said little about its plans for the Nintendo 3DS, its upcoming 3D-capable portable gaming device, company President Reggie Fils-Aime recently said in an interview with BusinessWeek that the 3DS isn't just another version of the DS. Instead, the device will replace Nintendo's DS line.
Nintendo's decision to push the DS aside in favor of a new platform is rather interesting. The company stuck with the Game Boy for more than 15 years until it opted for the Nintendo DS. It sold more than 200 million Game Boy units because of it.

Like its predecessor, the DS has sold extremely well, tallying more than 125 million unit sales worldwide since its 2004 launch. Based on those sales figures and the fact that Nintendo recently launched the DSi XL for those who want larger screens, the DS wouldn't seem like an obvious candidate for replacement.

Sony agrees. The company's marketing director for hardware, John Koller, said recently that the 3DS "is a little bit of a stretch given where some of [Sony's] research is right now."

But it seems that Nintendo is trying to once again push the envelope with a technology that may or may not appeal to gamers. And in the process, it's making it clear that the 3DS is the next generation of its handheld devices, not a rework of current-gen products. Whether or not that means that Nintendo will discontinue the DS or if it will support both platforms while the 3DS is trying to gain traction in the market still remains to be seen. Fils-Aime would only say that Nintendo will provide details on the future of its mobile division at E3 in June.

Sony agrees. The company's marketing director for hardware, John Koller, said recently that the 3DS "is a little bit of a stretch given where some of [Sony's] research is right now. As in we had no idea they were coming out with a 3D handheld so soon, FUUUUUU-"

It's funny that they keep asking Sony questions about how successful they think Nintendo will be in the handheld arena.

1-D_FTW

It's not really that, it just they keep recycling that asinine quote he made about market research showing they couldn't sell 2000 dollar 3D televisions to 8 years old and had to target older people. It's amazing that something so stupid could continue to get posted into articles.

timetokill said:
It's funny that they keep asking Sony questions about how successful they think Nintendo will be in the handheld arena.

They havent spoke to Microsoft or Apple (is Microsofts Handheld still in the rumored pile or has it been discarded?)

Ugh whats Sony to do!

Nessus

I like how they keep talking about the "Game Boy" as if GBA was the same system.

Original Game Boy + Pocket + Color "only" sold 118 million.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Hero of Legend said:
Since Banjo skipped DS I find it unlikely he'll make it to the 3DS, but I'd LOVE to see DK64 3DS, imagine that remade in GC graphics! :Q
Nintendo really needs to do something about DK. It's one of their most well known brands and could reach Mario levels of popularity again if they would just give it some TLC. It's been too long since a true DK game was made. I've been flamed for this before, but I don't consider Jungle Beat a real DK game anymore than I would say Paper Mario is a real Mario game. Nintendo needs to re-invent the series again like they did with SMS. It's time for a reboot and I really wish people would start pushing Miyamoto and company about this rather something like Kid Icarus. I imagine DK would have a much higher chance of getting done if people would just ask for it.

dk_jungle_climber_nintendo_ds_video_game_image.jpg

swerve

MadOdorMachine said:
Nintendo really needs to do something about DK. It's one of their most well known brands and could reach Mario levels of popularity again if they would just give it some TLC.

Well if putting him in your finest 2D platformer since Yoshi's Island with your premiere platformer development team wasn't giving him TLC then I don't...

MadOdorMachine said:
I don't consider Jungle Beat a real DK game anymore than I would say Paper Mario is a real Mario game.

:/

Dogenzaka

Banned
Why is everyone fapping to the regular PR bullshit spewing from Reggie's mouth?

I'll judge for myself the worth of the handheld when they release it, I don't fall for that Nintendo PR nonsense anymore.

Dogenzaka said:
Why is everyone fapping to the regular PR bullshit spewing from Reggie's mouth?

I'll judge for myself the worth of the handheld when they release it, I don't fall for that Nintendo PR nonsense anymore.
Oh, you rebel!

spwolf

MadOdorMachine said:
Nintendo really needs to do something about DK. It's one of their most well known brands and could reach Mario levels of popularity again if they would just give it some TLC. It's been too long since a true DK game was made. I've been flamed for this before, but I don't consider Jungle Beat a real DK game anymore than I would say Paper Mario is a real Mario game. Nintendo needs to re-invent the series again like they did with SMS. It's time for a reboot and I really wish people would start pushing Miyamoto and company about this rather something like Kid Icarus. I imagine DK would have a much higher chance of getting done if people would just ask for it.

DK was my first "handheld" and i played it for years ;-).
definitely a lot of history there..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MadOdorMachine said:

I want the DK Rare created in DKC2, and it pisses me off that I will never, ever get it. The DK I want is dead and never coming back.

*tears*

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
KevinCow said:

2psim2h.png

Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to be viewing these "3D" images? When I shrink them down and do the whole "cross-eyed"ish thing, they're always backwards.

What's going on?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dacvak said:
Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to be viewing these "3D" images? When I shrink them down and do the whole "cross-eyed"ish thing, they're always backwards.

What's going on?

That shot isnt the best due to stuff like the butterflies being in different positions.

But why are you shrinking them down. Basically look at the middle of the pictures, cross your eyes, and a 'third' image should be created in the middle with each other image on sides. Then focus your eyes on that newly created third image and whammo, you have yourself some brainache 3D.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
you know what game i hope to see on the 3DS

a Ninja Gaiden DS sequel. i really loved the scheme of the first game and i wish more developers followed suit with action games like that. unfortunately the ds isn't exactly capable enough for a 3d action game like NG, so if the 3DS is really a beast like rumors say, i hope we see a spiritual sequel by Valhalla games or whatever. plz itagaki plz.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
EatChildren said:
That shot isnt the best due to stuff like the butterflies being in different positions.

But why are you shrinking them down. Basically look at the middle of the pictures, cross your eyes, and a 'third' image should be created in the middle with each other image on sides. Then focus your eyes on that newly created third image and whammo, you have yourself some brainache 3D.
This is wrong. First off, those images are huge... At least, too huge for me, and I rock at magic eye stuff. Secondly, if you did the whole "third 3D image magic eye thing" too, you'd notice that the 3D portions are inverted. And so I ask again,

How should I be viewing these huge GAF-made 3D dual image things?

EatChildren

Dacvak said:
This is wrong. First off, those images are huge... At least, too huge for me, and I rock at magic eye stuff. Secondly, if you did the whole "third 3D image magic eye thing" too, you'd notice that the 3D portions are inverted. And so I ask again,

I am viewing them with ease at that size and they work. What's wrong with you?

pulga

Banned
Dacvak said:

You must be doing it wrong. Works fine for me. With that said, I want MOAR.

Dacvak

pulga said:
You must be doing it wrong. Works fine for me. With that said, I want MOAR.
You guys are able to push both of those images together without resizing? Jesus.
The more puzzling aspect is why it looks correct to you...

magiceye.gif

When you look at this, is the heart pointing inward or outward?

Edit:
THIS one looks correct to me. (I flipped the images.)
BhyoM.png

EatChildren

Dacvak said:
When you look at this, is the heart pointing inward or outward?

The image moves deeper, into the screen, towards the center.

Dacvak

EatChildren said:
The image moves deeper, into the screen, towards the center.
That is the exact opposite effect it should have. It should be bursting out.

This is mind-blowing. Is there something wrong with your monitor, or your eyes?

What about this one? Is the text popping out, or sinking into the screen?
emc2+magic_eye.jpg

EatChildren

*shrug*

I've taken depth perception tests to see 3D and I'm fine. There are two ways to view those stereoscopic images though. I use the crosseye method. I cant remember what the other is, but I know you need to reverse the images to make it work.

Maybe you're doing one and I'm doing the other?

D-Pad

I can quick glance the magic-eyes easy. It's those super large side-by-side-images GAF posts when I have to zoom the page out.

EatChildren said:
*shrug*

I've taken depth perception tests to see 3D and I'm fine. There are two ways to view those stereoscopic images though. I use the crosseye method. I cant remember what the other is, but I know you need to reverse the images to make it work.

The images posted above use the look-through method. I just tried cross-eyed and the effect was inversed. It hurt too. Your poor eyes.

Dacvak

EatChildren said:
*shrug*

That's gotta be it. Magic Eye books are designed for people who use the method I do, though.

Edit: Yeah, the "look-through" method. That's what I'm doing.

EatChildren

Then we have our answer. I havent done magic eyes since I was a kid, but the crosseye method works a treat for the images posted here and in the 3D thread.

So yes, the Nuts 'N Bolts image would look backwards for you. The method the rest of us are using involves crossing our eyes and creating a third image using a combination of the two, focusing on that, and kablamo! 3D. That is stereoscopic 3D.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm using the look-through technique for the magic eye and it still looks like it sinks in to me. Whatevers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom