• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeathbyVolcano said:
Blugh, if all Nintendo is showing for it is Animal Crossing, fuck this system.
Yeah

I really, really question the logic of releasing a system and only ever releasing one game for it

It's a bold strategy, for sure, but not one I see working out

I echo the fuck this system sentiment. Why even call it a 3DS successor if all it will play is Animal Crossing? That's fucking deceptive.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Blugh, if all Nintendo is showing for it is Animal Crossing, fuck this system.

Yeah, that's the only thing it will show, FUCK IT :lol :lol

-EDIT- Yeah, Shocking Alberto put it better :lol . Did Gaf used to be smarter? I cannot remember anymore.

-Double Edit- I'm trying to get my hands on any kind of leak, preferably from Microsoft. Last year i got early news about Halo Reach and Natal (check my tag :) ), hope i fish something this year as well.

Glix

ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah

I really, really question the logic of releasing a system and only ever releasing one game for it

It's a bold strategy, for sure, but not one I see working out

I echo the fuck this system sentiment. Why even call it a 3DS successor if all it will play is Animal Crossing? That's fucking deceptive.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

They were probably just showing it a tech demo of how the 3d effect looks. Geez. It might have even been the DS/Wii code, just mocked up for 3d or whatever...

Peeps be CRAZY

Yknow, assuming that Nintendo will try harder with online, I'm totally expecting a pretty big online focus. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Nintendogs. Plus, if there's a decent accelerometer inside of the 3DS, MK3DS could be awesome.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A Link to the Snitch said:
Yknow, assuming that Nintendo will try harder with online, I'm totally expecting a pretty big online focus. Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Nintendogs. Plus, if there's a decent accelerometer inside of the 3DS, MK3DS could be awesome.
I'm not sold on this accelerometer handheld thing, you normally don't want to move your display that way. And yes, i have played those iPhone games.

1-D_FTW

Glix said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

They were probably just showing it a tech demo of how the 3d effect looks. Geez. It might have even been the DS/Wii code, just mocked up for 3d or whatever...

Peeps be CRAZY

I'm not jumping off the roof over one game, but come on. If Animal Crossing is the showcase game for their tech demos, this thread is going to be a epic meltdown of disappointment. Animal Crossing? Tech showcase? I shudder at the two DS' duct taped together comparisons.

1-D_FTW said:
I'm not jumping off the roof over one game, but come on. If Animal Crossing is the showcase game for their tech demos, this thread is going to be a epic meltdown of disappointment. Animal Crossing? Tech showcase? I shudder at the two DS' duct taped together comparisons.
Oh, it will be terrible

But I'm a big proponent of not living and dying by what's shown at E3. E3 is a cog in a machine of marketing, it is not the machine itself.

wsippel

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I'd say the camera angle and the scrolling makes it very well suited to showcase 3D. It might be a nice piece to show off the networking infrastructure as well.

The only way I could see Nintendo "wooing" developers with AC would have to be because they significantly overhauled their online system.
Because heaven knows they aren't updating the look of that series any time soon.

Also, don't think this was posted yet.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...lopers-greenlight-to-announce-3ds-titles.aspx

Nintendo apparently JUST gave the go ahead to announced 3DS games at E3. Most likely because they didn't want games appearing on pre-E3 lists or something.

1-D_FTW said:

Well I cant think of anything Ive seen from Nintendo first party where theyve actually shown that they can push their hardware to any sorta limits.

As long as Animal Crossing isnt full of jagged lines and really rough polygons, cant really complain much.

1-D_FTW

Dedication Through Light said:
Well I cant think of anything Ive seen from Nintendo first party where theyve actually shown that they can push their hardware to any sorta limits.

As long as Animal Crossing isnt full of jagged lines and really rough polygons, cant really complain much.

There's not pushing hardware to the limits and then there's Animal Crossing. Animal Crossing didn't really even push the N64. It got its attention from it's charm and uniqueness. But let's be honest, the game hasn't evolved a whole lot from that.

I understand and welcome the appeal of simple games for the casual market. But something from Retro is what you want for your tech demo. Somebody who can push hardware and show people what's really possible.

Vinci

Danish
ShockingAlberto said:
I'm expecting Wild World with 3D effects!

This way I can not be disappointed.

Honestly, given how long they've had to properly put together a true follow-up to Animal Crossing - a relatively inexpensive title to develop if ever there was one - I'd be shocked if this isn't a new game entirely that takes parts of Tomodachi Collection and fuses them within an Animal Crossing backdrop. Integration of Miis, possibly some more advanced communication features to show off the 3DS's optimized online system.

Really, I think the 3D aspect of this Animal Crossing is another minor note on what could be a pretty substantial release.

neoanarch

If they are showing Animal Crossing its certainly not for the graphics. I'm willing to bet AC 3DS is a showcase for Nintendo's new online strategy.

neoanarch said:
If they are showing Animal Crossing its certainly not for the graphics. I'm willing to bet AC 3DS is a showcase for Nintendo's new online strategy.

Exactly.
And that's something that devs and pubs will love much more than better graphics.

GDGF

Soothsayer
One thing I'd like to mention is by all accounts the people who have seen the 3DS have been impressed by its visuals, with comments ranging from 'it's cool' to 'OMG PS360' (not that I believe the hyperbole, but follow me for a moment)

If developers (who by and large have proven themselves to be graphics whores as a group) are impressed by the 3DS's visuals, do you really think the only thing Nintendo has been showing around is Animal Crossing?

GDGF said:
One thing I'd like to mention is by all accounts the people who have seen the 3DS have been impressed by its visuals, with comments ranging from 'it's cool' to OMG 'PS360' (not that I believe the hyperbole, but follow me for a moment)

If developers (who by and large have proven themselves to be graphics whores as a group) are impressed by the 3DS's visuals, do you really think the only thing Nintendo has been showing around is Animal Crossing?

Again, they aren't showing it to show off the 3DS's graphical prowess. They're showing it off to showcase a new online strategy.

AceBandage said:
Again, they aren't showing it to show off the 3DS's graphical prowess. They're showing it off to showcase a new online strategy.
Or they're showing it off because they're saying "Hey guys, we're not releasing Zelda at launch, so grab the hardcore now"

GDGF

Soothsayer
AceBandage said:

That I can buy, but I'm saying it's certainly not the only thing they're showing, as we've been hearing about this thing's graphics capabilities, not its online infrastructure.

GDGF said:

If you were Alberto I'd be quoting your tag right about now.

3rd party devs could be impressed by raw specs and what they can get out of the machine. Nintendo could still bring out Animal Crossing and people would be wowed by Ubisoft's Prinz of Persiaz running on a handheld.

Either that, or they'll have AC ready for launch and something else in the pipeline for later that's currently only in the form of a tech demo.

GDGF said:
That I can buy, but I'm saying it's certainly not the only thing they're showing, as we've been hearing about this thing's graphics capabilities, not its online infrastructure.

I'm really beginning to wonder whether we're seeing another bit of misdirection from Nintendo. As has been noted elsewhere, the DS' dual-screen setup was known about before its formal unveiling, but the touchscreen etc. was not.

I'm wondering whether the 3D display and its graphical oomph is the 3DS' version of the dual screen, obscuring the other developments that make this Nintendo's next-gen handheld. If Animal Crossing is being shown behind closed doors as a demonstration of the system, I'd be inclined to think that it's because a 3DS version of AC will showcase another aspect of the system, something unrelated to the 3D display.

Given that AC is a social game, and that Nintendo have already taken some steps toward making it an online title, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they're showing a 3DS version off because it can demonstrate to devs what online setup and connectivity they're bringing to the table.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
3rd party devs could be impressed by raw specs and what they can get out of the machine. Nintendo could still bring out Animal Crossing and people would be wowed by Ubisoft's Prinz of Persiaz running on a handheld.

Either that, or they'll have AC ready for launch and something else in the pipeline for later that's currently only in the form of a tech demo.

I really really doubt that AC is the only game that Nintendo will have ready for the 3DS.

HAL_Laboratory said:
Still got my fingers crossed for Pilotwings as it would match my mock up quite nicely :D

3DS-Mockup_april2nd2010_ryancooper.jpg
Holy shit at that top screen :^O

Need.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Did Gaf used to be smarter?

Oh, the irony.

What the hell is this? Twilight Princess didn't push the GameCube? Majora's Mask didn't push the N64? Mario Galaxy/Smash Bros doesn't push the Wii?

FoxHimself said:
Oh, the irony.

What the hell is this? Twilight Princess didn't push the GameCube? Majora's Mask didn't push the N64? Mario Galaxy/Smash Bros doesn't push the Wii?

No handheld examples?

I didnt think Galaxy 1 did, Smash Bros Brawl just seemed to have lots of stuff to load.The other games, Ive never touched.

ne1

Vinci said:
Honestly, given how long they've had to properly put together a true follow-up to Animal Crossing - a relatively inexpensive title to develop if ever there was one - I'd be shocked if this isn't a new game entirely that takes parts of Tomodachi Collection and fuses them within an Animal Crossing backdrop. Integration of Miis, possibly some more advanced communication features to show off the 3DS's optimized online system.

Really, I think the 3D aspect of this Animal Crossing is another minor note on what could be a pretty substantial release.

I honestly gave up on them ever having the decency to develop a sequel, that isn't a cheap iteration of the n64 game, when they released City Folk.

M3d10n said:
BTW, what has been Retro doing since Prime 3?

They did some work on the Metroid Prime Trilogy collection, and there was some scuttlebutt about a project that got canned (the GAF rumour was a Zelda spin-off, but take that with a big pinch of salt).

They also lost several of their leads (who went on to form Armature, IIRC) so that may have set back any ongoing projects.

No handheld examples?

I didnt think Galaxy 1 did, Smash Bros Brawl just seemed to have lots of stuff to load.The other games, Ive never touched.
Man

You didn't think Galaxy did.

Who do you think did?

DarkWish

Leaky lips?

Anyway, of all the franchises to choose that?! I mean, come on man. I almost threw up just reading the quote.

Why not something more classic or lucrative
Screw you, Animal Crossing rocks. It's your own fault you had an insanely negative view of the game before you tried it, and you tried the worst one.

Cosmonaut X said:
They did some work on the Metroid Prime Trilogy collection, and there was some scuttlebutt about a project that got canned (the GAF rumour was a Zelda spin-off, but take that with a big pinch of salt).

They also lost several of their leads (who went on to form Armature, IIRC) so that may have set back any ongoing projects.
Man, someone needs to settle this Retro rumor.

They PITCHED a Sheik spin-off to Nintendo. Nintendo passed. They moved on to something else.

The Zelda game was never in anything resembling production

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lonely1 said:
October, no Nvidia/Tegra based. As powerfull as a 360/Ps3.

Thank you. I heard the latter but dont really put any weight in it. Didn't think it would be an Nvidia gpu, but an October release would be amazing.

ShockingAlberto said:
Man, someone needs to settle this Retro rumor.

They PITCHED a Sheik spin-off to Nintendo. Nintendo passed. They moved on to something else.

The Zelda game was never in anything resembling production

Cool - cheers for the correction. I couldn't recall what the exact situation was, but that clears it up a little. Where did the rumour start, anyway?

And, yeah, Retro staff were supposed to have lent a hand to the RS2 dev team but I got the impression it was limited and informal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom