• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
brain_stew said:
If the single screen is both physically larger and much higher resolution, honestly what is the difference in the end? Well apart from not having a big ugly hinge in the middle and not being able to properly view both screens at the same time because of shitty viewing angles.

It was a gimmick, and a shitty one at that, on a par with the Wii remote's craptastic speaker. Its also an extra cost, $5-$10 or whatever that extra screen costs buys you a lot more performance in the SOC world, and that's an area I'd much rather that part of the budget be reallocated.
Gotta say...

Never, ever had this problem. On either DS or DSL.

Boney

Banned
Somnid said:
I find the fact that most people seem to play portables at home kinda sad. While I think it's a great idea to have a product to carter to the people that choose to use their system in such a way, I actually take my DSi with me everywhere and I'd hate to see it get any bigger as it already needs a cramped and dedicated pocket. I think as a portable it needs to be, well, portable over anything else.
I always play them when I go to bed or if I'm going someplace for a fewdays, and I played them in class. It's really comfy for me since I hate turning on the console and be stuck with the TV.

brain_stew said:
If the single screen is both physically larger and much higher resolution, honestly what is the difference in the end? Well apart from not having a big ugly hinge in the middle and not being able to properly view both screens at the same time because of shitty viewing angles.

It was a gimmick, and a shitty one at that, on a par with the Wii remote's craptastic speaker. Its also an extra cost, $5-$10 or whatever that extra screen costs buys you a lot more performance in the SOC world, and that's an area I'd much rather that part of the budget be reallocated.

A hinge means a clamshell design, which protects the screens, and I have never had viewing angle problems on my three DS's.

Instro

Somnid said:
I find the fact that most people seem to play portables at home kinda sad. While I think it's a great idea to have a product to carter to the people that choose to use their system in such a way, I actually take my DSi with me everywhere and I'd hate to see it get any bigger as it already needs a cramped and dedicated pocket. I think as a portable it needs to be, well, portable over anything else.

I take it college once in a while, but 90% of the time its impossible to play a handheld anywhere but a house or car since sunlight makes it impossible to see the screen, so the only way I can use it is if I can find a nice spot indoors somewhere anyway.

Keyouta

A leak!

071213_p16_manmain.jpg

NomarTyme said:
I can't believe there is no leak image of this shit yet!

Who would have a dev kit and be foolish enough to leak screens/info of it to the public?
That would lead to massive backlash from Nintendo (namely, the slaughter of you and your entire family).

Somnid said:

I thought there were people sworn to being portable only people. Regardless, I find the only times I can ever play it is rarely anywhere that is not my bed or on some form of "smooth" transportation (or waiting times).

I dont think size is that important, I havent heard of anyone complaining of the iPad not being portable.

Somnid

Instro said:
I take it college once in a while, but 90% of the time its impossible to play a handheld anywhere but a house or car since sunlight makes it impossible to see the screen, so the only way I can use it is if I can find a nice spot indoors somewhere anyway.

I really do wish more could be done about this. Maybe in 20 years we'll have screens that can change their properties from light emitting in low light to reflective "e-ink" properties in high light. They'd also have insane contrast as a result.

NomarTyme

AceBandage said:
Who would have a dev kit and be foolish enough to leak screens/info of it to the public?
That would lead to massive backlash from Nintendo (namely, the slaughter of you and your entire family).
True. :( 5 more days.

Somnid said:
I really do wish more could be done about this. Maybe in 20 years we'll have screens that can change their properties from light emitting in low light to reflective "e-ink" properties in high light. They'd also have insane contrast as a result.

What? I can see my iPod Touch in the sunlight just fine?

Hobbun

Somnid said:

Why is it sad? Maybe some of us playing portables away from home is not feasible. I drive back and forth to work, so no train or bus where I can play. Of course I cannot play when I get at work. If I am going somewhere, I am going there for a reason and I am not going to whip out my DS and start playing.

The only realistic times I can take my portables with me and actually be able to play them is when going on vacation and have some down time during the trip. So for that reason, I play my handhelds at home.

Which really, is why I do prefer home consoles over handhelds. Because one of the big benefits handhelds have, being the portability aspect, is really not a factor for me. And really, I would much prefer to play my video games on my big screen tv with my surround sound than sit on my couch playing my DS or PSP.

But hey, that is where the market is going now, so I take what I can get. But just because I am playing at home with my handhelds doesn't make it 'sad', it's just what is the most feasible for me.

Somnid

Dedication Through Light said:
What? I can see my iPod Touch in the sunlight just fine?

Outside and sunlight aren't the same thing.

Hobbun said:
Why is it sad? Maybe some of us playing portables away from home is not feasible. I drive back and forth to work, so no train or bus where I can play. Of course I cannot play when I get at work. If I am going somewhere, I am going there for a reason and I am not going to whip out my DS and start playing.

The only realistic times I can take my portables with me and actually be able to play them is when going on vacation and have some down time during the trip. So for that reason, I play my handhelds at home.

Which really, is why I do prefer home consoles over handhelds. Because one of the big benefits handhelds have, being the portability aspect, is really not a factor for me. And really, I would much prefer to play my video games on my big screen tv with my surround sound than sit on my couch playing my DS or PSP.

But hey, that is where the market is going now, so I take what I can get. But just because I am playing at home with my handhelds doesn't make it 'sad', it's just what is the most feasible for me.

That's a pretty sad situation. I wish you the best.

Eteric Rice

Hobbun said:

Considering how fast the strength of portables is growing, I don't think it'll be long before handhelds and televisions work together. So eventually, you'll be able to play portable games on your TV.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Somnid said:

Honestly, I've always used my portables like a laptop. They get some use outside of the house in the right situations, but often when I'm out I have other plans that dont give me the time to play. Around the house I can play in bed, laying on the couch, or chillin' in my backyard.

They probably get more use around the house than outside, simply because they let me game without having to turn on the TV and sit in the lounge room. Again like a laptop; sometimes its nicer to work elsewhere in the house without having to sit a your desk.

Somnid said:

You ever played a DS outside? You have to shift around like you're afraid of the dark because the sun light out shines the screen. I can barely see shit with max brightness. I think I've ranted about this 5 or 6 times in this thread alone.

Somnid

EatChildren said:
Honestly, I've always used my portables like a laptop. They get some use outside of the house in the right situations, but often when I'm out I have other plans that dont give me the time to play. Around the house I can play in bed, laying on the couch, or chillin' in my backyard.

They probably get more use around the house than outside, simply because they let me game without having to turn on the TV and sit in the lounge room. Again like a laptop; sometimes its nicer to work elsewhere in the house without having to sit a your desk.

spritex said:
I simply like lying on the bed and playing the DS. It's refreshing away time from the computer or TV somehow.

I agree with both, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Portables should do more to enhance this, otherwise you could just be playing a console. Playing outside would be really sweet but we aren't completely there yet.

lunlunqq

what??!?!?!?! you guys have seen the leaks yet????

Someone who has seen the 3DS at a Foxconn factory made this. Foxconn's security should have got him by now...

2u8ifso.jpg

lunlunqq said:

Someone who has seen the 3DS at a Foxconn factory made this. Foxconn's security should have got him by now...
]

Yeah a bit old, and honestly, it's probably fake.

If you say it enough times it may come to pass...

LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK! LEAK!

brain_stew said:

I don't have trouble viewing both screens at the same time, but I agree that having two screens is pointless. I can't think of a good example (not a gimmick like closing the book in hotel dusk...which was cool! don't get me wrong here) of when two screens would be preferable to one large one. You can point to things like Castlevania games and how they have a map, but I'd much rather have a better view of the action and what matters and a small mini-map. I think of all the DS games I have (I have a ridiculous amount) and how they use the two screens and it is such a waste.

Right now I'm playing Picross 3D (Amazing game. Buy it.) all that's on the top screen are two clocks, chances left, and little animated thing that dances around. That doesn't need an equal amount of space as the puzzle itself.
3160oj8.jpg

It will probably have to carry through for that backwards comparability and it's a shame, but hopefully the rumors of the screens being closer together can help.

and again about the viewing angle, while I don't have a problem seeing both screens at once, wide screen is more natural and preferable.

EmCeeGramr said:
A hinge means a clamshell design, which protects the screens, and I have never had viewing angle problems on my three DS's.

I don't really get that excuse anymore. The iphone and dozens of devices have come out with an exposed screen and it hasn't been a problem. I mean, I saw a video the other day of someone stabbing the new Dell tablet with a pen and the screen wasn't harmed at all.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1449/1.109

crazy stuff. even the most hardcore ouendan games wouldn't damage it.

Linkzg said:
I don't really get that excuse anymore. The iphone and dozens of devices have come out with an exposed screen and it hasn't been a problem. I mean, I saw a video the other day of someone stabbing the new Dell tablet with a pen and the screen wasn't harmed at all.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1449/1.109

crazy stuff. even the most hardcore ouendan games wouldn't damage it.

Those tests never do everyday situations, how often does the iphone screen get scratched from just being in their with car keys and house keys. I like clamshell design but i hate how my cobalt blue ds will have scratches from keys on it. If only someone would come with some material that is resistant to everyday scratches and scrapes from keys and coins.

Those tests never do everyday situations, how often does the iphone screen get scratched from just being in their with car keys and house keys. I like clamshell design but i hate how my cobalt blue ds will have scratches from keys on it. If only someone would come with some material that is resistant to everyday scratches and scrapes from keys and coins.

why would you put it in your pocket with keys in the first place? :lol but I see what you're saying. I'm not an expert on this stuff and that video caught my eye because it's a dude pounding away at it with a pen.

personally, the only system I ever carried around in my pocket was the gameboy micro. I miss elementary school days when I had my Gameboy and Pokemon Blue in my bag.

wait, omg, I know what game the 3DS needs to launch with:

MOLE MANIA 2

MAKE IT SO

I'm in the camp that mostly plays my portable systems at home as well. I rarely have a chance to play it when I'm outside of the house due to how active I am. I could play it at work, but I'm usually talking to the ladies I work with, so it's not really on my mind at that point lol

Linkzg said:
why would you put it in your pocket with keys in the first place? :lol but I see what you're saying.

yeah lol, thats probably the most obvious solution, but sometimes in the busyness of the day its just convenient to cram everything into the pockets. My cellphone gets scratched like crazy cause its just convenient to throw it in my pocket with my keys, though I could separate but I hate putting my cell phone in my pocket with the iPod touch cause then it gets to be too much

Eteric Rice

lunlunqq said:

2u8ifso.jpg

That doesn't fit with what we've been told. Of course, what we've been told can be wrong.

Supposedly the screens are much closer on the 3DS. So that mock up isn't quite right.

Eteric Rice said:
That doesn't fit with what we've been told. Of course, what we've been told can be wrong.

Supposedly the screens are much closer on the 3DS. So that mock up isn't quite right.

But that was a rumor or speculation as well, so which is right and which is not right?

But that was a rumor or speculation as well, so which is right and which is not right?

They're both rumor/speculation.

We do, however, have the FCC board, which shows an analog device and a widescreen.

DarkWish

Maybe the screens are closer together... cause it's a sliding device and the screens are on top of each other when closed. See? I can make both rumors work.
I'm probably wrong though.

I'm more curious than excited to be honest. The DS is so awesome, I'm not sure I want to give it up so soon. I'm also very wary of the battery life and price of the 3DS. I need these 2 questions answered before I can be excited.

Eteric Rice

Cow Mengde said:
I'm more curious than excited to be honest. The DS is so awesome, I'm not sure I want to give it up so soon. I'm also very wary of the battery life and price of the 3DS. I need these 2 questions answered before I can be excited.

The DS was reaching the end of it's potential, now it's time for something new. :)

I must say, I think the DS was one of the few systems to ever be pushed to the very edge of what it could do. It was a lot like the PS2 in that sense.

Alright, so we've talked about graphics, framerates, launch titles, speakers, dinner plans, love/hatred/indifference about dual screens, shitty kotaku and whatnot...

How about the home screen interface? What way can they best use it to display a great 3D effect while keeping it simple and clean?

abstract alien said:
Alright, so we've talked about graphics, framerates, launch titles, speakers, dinner plans, love/hatred/indifference about dual screens, shitty kotaku and whatnot...

How about the home screen interface? What way can they best use it to display a great 3D effect while keeping it simple and clean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRrkSVxre7Q

Anyway, I think that a version of the Wii Channels would work, except that the highlighted Icon would be in 3D.
And also, have Miis walking in the background of your friends that are online, and when they send you a message, there's a chat bubble above their head that shows in 3D.

Twig

Banned
abstract alien said:

Animal Crossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom