• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fourth Storm said:
I'd say some explanation is definitely in order. What are the two small buttons on the right? L and R? How about the giant thing under the dpad? The win button?

I'd like to see a mockup that reduces the screen gap while keeping a clamshell design. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how this would be done without using one of those folding OLEDs.
the two buittons are obviously start and select

Earl Cazone said:
the two buittons are obviously start and select

Haha, brain fart on my part.

Edit: Upon further thought, I am guessing the giant button is the 2d/3d selector. Definitely in order, but I doubt it needs to be that huge.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Branduil said:
Hey has anyone seen this stuff yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRq7GhBLRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE

1zf7cb7.jpg

2im5kjn.jpg

Also, does anyone else think it's lame they're releasing another DS revision right after the XL?

Funny, you are not.

Doorman

Fourth Storm said:
I'd say some explanation is definitely in order. What are the two small buttons on the right? L and R? How about the giant thing under the dpad? The win button?

I'd like to see a mockup that reduces the screen gap while keeping a clamshell design. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how this would be done without using one of those folding OLEDs.
Based on the little design on it, I'd hazard a guess that it looks like it's something along the lines of a "DS" button, since it has the two screens on it. As for what it would actually be used for, I have no idea.

Doorman said:
Based on the little design on it, I'd hazard a guess that it looks like it's something along the lines of a "DS" button, since it has the two screens on it. As for what it would actually be used for, I have no idea.

You're probably right. I'm not thinking very well this afternoon. I also should probably be using my time a bit better than speculating on a mockup. :lol

Overall, it's well made, HAL. I am just not a big fan of the aesthetics.

Doorman said:

My guess was a home button.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Branduil said:
Also, does anyone else think it's lame they're releasing another DS revision right after the XL?

why? The XL is mopping up the last few people on the planet that don't have a DS. People on this forum would have already bought a DS years ago. The 3DS just starts that cycle again. We'll buy it immediately, then kids, then normal people, then old people.

What i've been wondering is if the gap between screens is really as small as the rumors say, then what does this thing look like? Wouldn't the hinge have to be much smaller?

zigg

Fourth Storm said:

The solution is actually pretty simple—the top screen's bottom edge would extend into the hinge itself, and the bottom's right up flush against the edge of the hinge. It's not enough to eliminate it, but make it "negligible"? Sure.

EDIT: Coupled with a reduction in hinge diameter, I should add.

I bet the sales of that little 3D DSi-ware game exploded. Well, at last in the Japanese store. There's so much publicity and awareness now.
I remember how no one cared when it was posted here some weeks ago. :lol

Effect

ShockingAlberto said:
I'd say 3D for the PSP2 is likely

In fact I would bet money they planned to announce it at E3, but are now likely going to keep it quiet for a little bit and retool it

Possible but I get the feeling Nintendo has been looking into this for some time now. Sony I very much doubt has given it any attention in terms of hand helds, console yes though. If they half ass it, which more then likely will be the case due to time and R&D the 3DS will stomp the PSP2. Sony if they want to do this as well shouldn't rush their next hand held but chances are they will rush it and it won't help them.

Haunted

slaughterking said:
I bet the sales of that little 3D DSi-ware game exploded. Well, at last in the Japanese store. There's so much publicity and awareness now.
I remember how no one cared when it was posted here some weeks ago. :lol
I remember people going all "oooh" and "neat!" but nobody bought it anyway.

But yeah, this has definitely created a nice bit of inadvertent publicity for that game. :lol

bdouble

I don't get the gripes of this announcement before the XL. I mean really Gaf is so far removed from the market that Nintendo set for the XL. They said it was for an older market from the get go. At least take it back to the DSi. Even then its sort of like a stop gap GBAmicro type of thing in my opinion.

Its time for a new handheld. I for one can't wait to see how this thing works and also get into my second handheld ever after the DSlite. Also really hope they fix the gap between the screens because I absolutely can not play games with images that are crossing both (Contra).

Zenith said:
If you did that on a video game, so the y-intercept of the player camera rotated around a close object it as looking at, would you get the same extreme DoF/pseudo-3D effect? You could use motion-blur to tidy up the edges.

Yeah but it would probably give you a headache after a while!

The motion blur thing gave me an idea, does this look any good as a still? Each pixel is blurred based on how different it is to the second frame.
11gkj10.jpg

Haunted

HAL_Laboratory said:
:lol @ the Mario surfing on my mock-up pic.

I'm working on another one right now guys...
Yes please, keep em coming. :D

The previous mockup gave me a nice Game Gear vibe. Big, black, bulky.

PSGames

replicashooter said:
I've always liked the "two iPods stuck together" mock up:

kdri1x.jpg

358ne5s.jpg

aljcio.jpg

ivioe9.jpg

Smexy

I would really love this design but they need to make the hinge more like the HP Mini's where the top screen's bezel drops behind the bottom half of the device. Bringing the screens closer together.

hp-mini-2140_1.jpg

Branduil

BikoBiko said:
Adjusting the image for your viewing angle using a camera sounds like it's been made especially for the 3DS :p
Especially since we already know the 3DS will have at least one camera facing the player.

Vinci

Danish
Simplistic as all hell, but I had to do this in a few minutes while the boss was out. Someone can flesh it out and make it look nice if they want to. Just wanted to try for an image explaining the system's possible layout. The L and R buttons are obviously hidden in the normal locations.

3DS Mock-Up

EDIT: Mostly I was trying to figure out how to put a decent analog stick on the thing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Vinci said:
Simplistic as all hell, but I had to do this in a few minutes while the boss was out. Someone can flesh it out and make it look nice if they want to. Just wanted to try for an image explaining the system's possible layout. The L and R buttons are obviously hidden in the normal locations.

3DS Mock-Up

it has an analog stick.

i like what you've done here.

upandaway

What if the analog stick...

IS the D-pad?

Edit: Vinci, the bottom has to be touch. The system is backwards compatible, so that's confirmed.

My internet has been out for the past 2 days.

All can say for this is HOLY SHIT!!!!

This is so typical of Nintendo. They're so weird.

In one way they are by far and wide the most conservative company in the industry. But in another way they are by far and wide the most progressive.

Anyway Day 1 if this is true.

Vinci said:

3DS Mock-Up

EDIT: Mostly I was trying to figure out how to put a decent analog stick on the thing.

The biggest concern with the analog stick seems to be symmetry for lefties, seems like 2 would be required.

But here's a thought, what if, instead of a d-pad and an analog stick, they tried something like the old neogeo pad stick to get some functionality of both (also a relatively low profile design)? I can see nintendo actively trying to avoid putting both a pad and a stick on the thing.

PAD.jpg

-WindYoshi- said:
What i've been wondering is if the gap between screens is really as small as the rumors say, then what does this thing look like? Wouldn't the hinge have to be much smaller?

Put a hinge on each side and move the screen down to the edge. You can sink the top screen into the top half, and raise the bottom screen up a bit to make them more flush.

Here's my bad mockup, with 'sticks' on the top screen! My sketchup skills aren't great right now.

b7lunl.png

JaseC said:
I find the 3D effect to be less pronounced. *shrug*

It should be as it's only a still, was just trying to add depth compared to using a single frame of the gif.

Flying_Phoenix said:
My internet has been out for the past 2 days.

All can say for this is HOLY SHIT!!!!

This is so typical of Nintendo. They're so weird.

In one way they are by far and wide the most conservative company in the industry. But in another way they are by far and wide the most progressive.

Anyway Day 1 if this is true.
Yep. This is the same company that put Pictochat in the ds, one of the most innovative systems ever, and didn't bother to make it online.

Vinci

Danish
upandaway said:
What if the analog stick...

IS the D-pad?

Edit: Vinci, the bottom has to be touch. The system is backwards compatible, so that's confirmed.

I know. I copy and pasted that from the top screen to the bottom and forgot to edit out that part. =(

upandaway

Graphics Horse said:
Put a hinge on each side and move the screen down to the edge. You can sink the top screen into the top half, and raise the bottom screen up a bit to make them more flush.

Here's my bad mockup, with 'sticks' on the top screen! My sketchup skills aren't great right now.

b7lunl.png
Aside from the analog sticks, that looks really, really good. I think we can count on a design that looks a bit different than the DS though.

By the way, I was totally serious. The analog sticks will be on the D-pads. I swear to god Nintendo should hire me.

gerg

upandaway said:
Aside from the analog sticks, that looks really, really good. I think we can count on a design that looks a bit different than the DS though.

I don't think that Nintendo needs to. They've been following Apple recently in regards to their handheld line, and I think that releasing a 3DS which bears a family resemblance to the DS Lite/DSi/DSi XL is no bad thing.

Anyways, +1 for the mock-up.

Dragmire

The DSi has two cameras, so if they make one or both of them swivel forward and backward, you could use it just like the DSi as well as take 3D pictures by pointing them both in the same direction.

MoxManiac

abstract alien said:
Yep. This is the same company that put Pictochat in the ds, one of the most innovative systems ever, and didn't bother to make it online.

I'm pretty sure nintendo was afraid predators would draw pictures of wangs and send them to kids.

upandaway

gerg said:
I don't think that Nintendo needs to. They've been following Apple recently in regards to their handheld line, and I think that releasing a 3DS which bears a family resemblance to the DS Lite/DSi/DSi XL is no bad thing.

Anyways, +1 for the mock-up.
I... I guess, that's a possible route, but that's if they want to market it as another DS iteration. If it's really a whole new handheld, and not just a graphical upgrade (accelerometer/rumble and, in a way, the 3D), why would they want to do that? People who already got one DS, and there are 125 million of them, might look at the new design and immediately write it off because they "already have one of those".

I don't know about you guys but I personally just want one feature of the system that nobody else has talked about yet.

Region Free

Zozz said:
Where are people getting these GC like graphics nonsense from?

- Previous Leaks

- It's 2010 now, GC like graphics are very cost efficient now for a portable.

mclem said:
Pictochatroulette 3D!

Maybe not.

Yay now when I see people wack off their penis's are right on my face!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom