• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Australian Launch

I asked my EB if they were going to do a midnight launch. Manager tells me that they only do a midnight launch for Sony consoles and the 3DS is for "the wider market" :S

CrazedProfessional said:
I asked my EB if they were going to do a midnight launch. Manager tells me that they only do a midnight launch for Sony consoles and the 3DS is for "the wider market" :S

Hah. I live in a suburb in Hobart and we did Midnight launches for the Wii. Will ask about 3DS.

BY2K

Membero Americo
CrazedProfessional said:

I think I just heard one of my nerves blow up.

hirokazu

JAVK said:
AUS $349.95

Why?
Get smart, get it for $298. (I wouldn't buy it for $350.)

I think what pushed me over apart from needing to upgrade my launch DS is that $298 is ever so slightly cheaper than the Japanese price, though still $50 more than the US price. Not too shabby.

markot

Banned
I feel like importing..... BUT WHAT ABOUT CLUB NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!

Also I dont like having to buy allllll my games OS... But hell, it all ends up so much cheaper... but then what if we go bannnnana republic and our dollar = crap?! Huh?!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
markot said:

Also I dont like having to buy allllll my games OS... But hell, it all ends up so much cheaper... but then what if we go bannnnana republic and our dollar = crap?! Huh?!

I know! We're like high risk investors here.

edit: do I need anything specific to plug my 3ds into the wall to charge? like a wottage convertor or anything? or do I just buy one of those plug changery things from a travel shop that are like $5

hamchan

markot said:

Buy a 3DS here. Buy games from the UK!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I was thinking of importing a US 3DS.. but I'm really starting to get tempted to get a Australian one when it launches, since some stores like jb hi-fi are selling units for $300.

Will probably bite the bullet next week, i think.

Boken

Banned
Just a heads up, catchoftheday.com.au has a listing for 3DS at $199, for 30th March - though I hear their deals often sell out VERY fast and I expect this to be no different.

guidop

I have one payed for from that Dick Smith $299 sale with Ghost Recon. It looks like I'll be gifting it to my cousin though so will be selling ghost recon what would be my best bet in selling / getting rid of the game?

trinest

markot said:

I like how your bitching about our dollar going crap when its back to record highs again.

hirokazu

markot said:
Hmmm.. I have unused Club Nintendo codes from as far back as Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii. Have those things expired yet? I should fish out all my codes and redeem them.

I just... haven't given a damn for Nintendo for so long that I never bothered.

Mistle

Boken said:
Just a heads up, catchoftheday.com.au has a listing for 3DS at $199, for 30th March - though I hear their deals often sell out VERY fast and I expect this to be no different.
That's incredibly cheap D:

3DS will be the first Nintendo console I haven't bought on launch for quite some time (not including redesigns). I'm waiting out until Zelda and/or Paper Mario in June, where hopefully they might have a combo deal or something.

Rezbit

Getting pretty pumped about this! Looking forward to having some Streety on the go. Where do you guys think will be the best place to buy games on launch? Getting Rayman with Dick Smith deal, picking up SFIV and Ridge as well. Toss up between JB and Big W?

Gravijah

hirokazu said:
Hmmm.. I have unused Club Nintendo codes from as far back as Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii. Have those things expired yet? I should fish out all my codes and redeem them.

I just... haven't given a damn for Nintendo for so long that I never bothered.

I don't think they expire. I used SM64 DS 6+ years later on the US one.

hirokazu

jambo said:
DS and I assume 3DS game codes don't work for Club Nintendo Australia.
Yeah, I've got a couple Wii and DS games from the UK and the Club Nintendo leaflet is completely different.

Sutton Dagger said:
Kmart will have the 3DS (console only) for $288 on launch day.

Is there a catalog out or something?

EB doesn't price match until launch day, does anybody know if that means I can wander in at midnight and shave 60 bucks off? Or would I have to wait until later in the day?

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Is there a catalog out or something?

EB doesn't price match until launch day, does anybody know if that means I can wander in at midnight and shave 60 bucks off? Or would I have to wait until later in the day?

Not yet mate, it's all over Ecogamer, someone already has the catalogue. A staff member also confirmed so it's all but guaranteed.

You might even be able to get it from Kmart at Midnight on Wed? Not sure about EB price-matching at Midnight though?

RandomVince said:
Eastlands or northgate? I may have worked with you once.

Eastlands, but I'm not an employee. I meant "we" as in "my suburb".

You might even be able to get it from Kmart at Midnight on Wed? Not sure about EB price-matching at Midnight though?

Already put down 100 at EB, had a preorder there for two months now. Not going to risk changing it up now, I can pay the 350 if I have to but I'd rather not if I can bring in a catalog at midnight and only pay 288.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Jintor said:
Man, I really like the MP3 player on this thing. Even the visualisers have 3D.

i've not seen anything of it! nor did I know it had an mp3 player feature.. awesome.

Clipper

HolyCheck said:
I know! We're like high risk investors here.

edit: do I need anything specific to plug my 3ds into the wall to charge? like a wottage convertor or anything? or do I just buy one of those plug changery things from a travel shop that are like $5

I know you already got your answers elsewhere, but for people only in this thread, a plug converter is not enough. You need a way to charge an Aussie DSi (e.g., an Aussie charge cable or USB charge cable for DSi) or a transformer and plug converter. If you don't have any of these, go order this or something similar as they do a great job for a few bucks spend.

markot said:

Club Nintendo US is way better than the Aussie one anyway. I've been juggling both of them all this time, actually! You can hack your Wii for imports and get those from the US too if you want more coins.

And yeah, dollar is best it's ever been and is going to be good for most if not all of this gen.

Basically, if you want to save a ton of money and also get games earlier than they will release here, import. You'll save a ton of money to start with. If the 3DS is ever hacked, you can even start buying local again too. There's barely any downside except for the inability to impulse buy or get games gifted to you.

jambo

4 more sleep, 4 more sleeps! =D

Nowadays I get everything I order online delivered to work, which means I'll get the 3DS day one as our firm is in the CBD and Dick Smith will deliver those first.

Nemesis_

I'm pretty excited.

I'm giving Splinter Cell a try despite all the bad things I hear about it. I never really played Chaos Theory properly and it will be something a bit more fully fleshed out than some of the other stuff I want.

Still, I'm gonna try to sample everything.

Jintor

HolyCheck said:
i've not seen anything of it! nor did I know it had an mp3 player feature.. awesome.

I couldn't find it initially either, but it turns out if you put MP3s on the SD card, the Sound app automatically detects them. It even keeps playing when you close the lid if you have headphones in! Score.

Is there any way to transfer MP3s onto the 3DS without using a card reader to just dump it on the SD directly?
I don't have a card reader :(

polg

New Zealand represent! \o/

I haven't made up my mind about getting one yet. The shop where I pre-ordered didn't have enough stock of blue ones so I cancelled it. I will cruise the shops on Thursday and see what happens.

I've been also considering getting it without games and wait for pilotwings. Though apparently the Ghost Recon game is like a strategy/X-Com game, which sounds interesting.

My hype is reasonably low at the moment.

The fact that the launch line up is horrible is the main reason. I’m getting Rayman for free but I’ve decided that I'm going to trade it in.

I guess I’m just going to have to keep myself busy with the built in stuff until Dead or Alive comes out....I wish it was a launch title! : (

Clipper

Conrad Link said:
How do you guys use the US Nintendo store too? Get things sent to a US address?
I have a friend in the US who I ship my Club Nintendo stuff to. I haven't had to do that yet for the online stores, but I guess I'll just do the same as for the PSN. Get my friend to buy me cards in-store and then tell me the code so I can enter it in, paying the friend back via Paypal.

I think the in-store cards aren't quite as cost effective as buying points on the device, but it'll probably be the only way, apart from setting your country to Brazil, which will apparently let you use an Aussie card to buy points..

Rekwest

hirokazu said:
Get smart, get it for $298. (I wouldn't buy it for $350.)

I think what pushed me over apart from needing to upgrade my launch DS is that $298 is ever so slightly cheaper than the Japanese price, though still $50 more than the US price. Not too shabby.
price in Mexico 400dlls

Top Bottom