• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Crosses 4 Million Mark; two million sellers (US)

Considering the size of the userbase, that's some monstrous sales numbers.

3 millions over a 12-16 million 3DS userbase, not bad actually.

Incidentally, if Mario kart has supposedly sold 3 million copies worldwide, Super Mario land 3D should have sold not much less than that, like 2.5 millions having a wild guess.

FoneBone

Yes. What's stopping it? .

They view online play as a necessity for future MH localizations:
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/05/what-makes-monster-hunter-click-in-the-west/
In addition to its accessibility, Capcom recognize that Monster Hunter Tri’s online system was an important factor in its success as well. “The other major thing that Tri brought to the table which the PSP titles have not, is a proper online multiplayer implementation,” Svensson continues. “Monster Hunter at its heart is a cooperative multiplayer game and for our market, online play is essential. The adhoc-only approach for the US market is, more often than not, too large of a barrier to find mass acceptance.”

Medalion

Banned
Pssh the Kindle Fire has sold 4 million in less than 7 weeks. Gaming handhelds have a long way to go.
image.php

wsippel

Banned
Great news :D
Well, NoE also localized Fatal Frame just to shelve it, so grain of salt and stuff. But again, it's supposedly happening, and it'll supposedly be released much sooner than most people would anticipate. Like early next quarter. Supposedly.

Razlo

Looking forward to what this success brings in terms of games. I'm hoping more 3rd party games of quality come out this year.

I'm sure Nintendo will do their job, by releasing great games (hopefully more quickly this year).

FoneBone

Perhaps it's overly optimistic, but I just took that quote as tacit confirmation that MH3G will have online play added for the Western releases.

It could be taken that way - all we know is that it's probably not coming over as is. (Unless Nintendo's footing the localization bill entirely, which I guess is conceivable.)

donny2112

Remember when Nintendo said "over 3 million Wii units" in Dec. 2009, NPD turned out to be 3.9 million, so don't feel completely restrained to those ranges -- it can be more or less.

That was Iwata, and he gave no decimal point numbers. This PR includes decimal point numbers, so it should be safe to assume that when they say 4.5m, they don't really mean 5m or something. 4m is probably ~4.0m, in context.

So Nintendo titles are selling like usual, how is this good news for 3rd party devs?

Given your username, you should probably know that Capcom has 3 of the most successful 3rd party games on the platform, 2 of which should be over 1 million WW as of this week. Somewhat importantly, both are "core" games.

So Nintendo titles are selling like usual, how is this good news for 3rd party devs?

You know there is something i have always been curious about with people who bandy around this stupid opinion (that no one can compete with nintendo).

What happens if nintendo ever went 3rd party? Would all of the other 3rd party devs just pack up shop and leave the market altogether? I mean who can compete with nintendo right?

Unless I missed it, the OP doesn't specify or mention NPD or anything, that's why I'm assuming it's shipped.

Do they normally say sold when they mean shipped (just wondering)? It specifically says Nintendo sold 12 millions over the year of 2011 and then proceeds to break down the numbers, so I'm guessing they're talking about units sold.

Top Bottom