• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

Plasma

Banned
Erm is anyone else having trouble with their start button? Any time a game says press start it doesn't work but select does, it looks like they're mapped around the wrong way.

syoaran

Amazon prime delivery still a-waiting (Okamiden, Pokemon Black, Ridge Racer 3DS), but the van is moving about. Luckily I asked for it to be sent to my office which is just behind...

... HMV oxford street, where my black 3DS and Piloetwings is waiting for me (along with Crysis 2 which I'll try and sneak out of the midnight launch...).

What, just 12hrs until I've got everything, 6 of those hours I'm working, 4hrs I'm drinking. Not a bad day at all.

But you guys have got me depressed about the 3DS's DS emulation.... Is it really that bad? or if I haven't seen the game on the DS yet, will I still notice how bad it is?

Britprog

BGBW said:
I work just south of London Bridge so I could have easily made it if I had known about it. Then again, loud music isn't my cup of tea.

Best launch event I remember is the GBASP one. It was in a small building just off Oxford Street and hardly anyone was there. The entrance had a stack of GBAs to play but downstrais was an exhibition of Nintendo history and pockets (yes really). A bit arty farty since it was during the period when NoE really had no clue what their image was. Wish they did something like that again.

Ok, I'm not sure what to expect, my sister assures me that Russell Cane is very funny and Plan B are good too. I'm just hoping that I get to play loads of 3DS games in a comfortable enivorment, I wanted to play Star Fox 3DS ever since I saw a video of it running at 3DS preview event in Feb.

Shanadeus

Banned
I don't know what to make of Amazon right now.

They're right now saying the following:

Delivery #1: Dispatching Soon We are preparing these items for dispatch and this part of your order cannot be cancelled or changed. Need information on returning an item?
Delivery estimate:25 Mar 2011 (More about estimates)

Maybe my address is just closer to one of their warehouse?
Because I have no idea how they're going to get it here in time for tomorrow.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
syoaran said:
But you guys have got me depressed about the 3DS's DS emulation.... Is it really that bad? or if I haven't seen the game on the DS yet, will I still notice how bad it is?

I'm going to guess that they mean the scaling makes DS games look dodgy. Luckily you can play it without scaling.

Woffls

SpacePirate Ridley said:
BTW Theres a 3DS UPDATE today for europe

Consists in a 3D 1:30 minutes video of people skydiving, fireworks, animals...
Its really neat. 3D works better depending on the scene of the video.

But NA gets OK GO :(

syoaran

Shanadeus said:
I don't know what to make of Amazon right now.

They're right now saying the following:

Maybe my address is just closer to one of their warehouse?
Because I have no idea how they're going to get it here in time for tomorrow.

If you live in the UK, it should get there tomorrow morning if its been picked by 5:30PM. It can obviously be delayed because of the post service, but amazon are quite good at getting it all out.

I remember that royal mail did a special service for Burning Crusade and the Wii, both of which were not picked up until 9-10PM. Don't fret (yet)

Fritz

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Been playing Super Street Fighter IV and Pilotwings.
Manual of SSFIV is awesome, full of colour and fat, just as I like them. Thank god fonr Nintendo bring it in here (although I wanted the 3D boxart :( ).
Im a starter with Street Fighter (played SFII and SSFII on super nes when I was small and beat with two characters arcade in SFIV in PC) and Im not very good.
But I could beat yesterday the arcade mode with Guile and Vega, and Seth in normal. I remember Seth giving me a VERY hard time in SFIV (and I played that game in easy) but in this game I could beat it not easy, but it was not as difficult, have they toned it down? (it was more difficult to beat Ryu nearly at the end of the arcade path with Vega than Seth, fuck the hadoken spamming the cpu does). Also played fast fight in online, one with a spanish (becuase of the name) and the other with a japanese. It really works great, no lag and it connects very fast. The first time it was a guy woth Blanka spamming the rolling attack, he one the first one and I won the second one. The next fight with the japanese, he had lots of player points already and he beat the shit of me.

Great game, I really love the music, particularly in the rival stage (of course, the classic melodies are simply awesome) much better than vanilla SFIV shitty soundtrack and shitty commentator. The graphics and the 3D are incredible. There are even achievements.

Pilotwings is not easy guys. Well, its easy to beat the game, and very fast. But thats not what Pilotwings consist. Three stars is relatively easy, but the perfect score 3 red stars is difficult, in some missions REALLY difficult (when you see you score at the end sometimes you will ask how the heck is possible to do it perfect). Thats how you play pilotwings, trying to get the perfect score in all missions, and that feels great.
Music is REALLY good, reminds me of SimCity music.

THANK YOU! Those are the two I am undecided about. And I am in the same spot, haven't really played Street fighjter since the SNES. Could you give a final judgement? Which one is the better game in your opinion. No need to elaborate, just which one you had more fun with.

Celine

gofreak said:
Eurogamer has an article on the UK pricing, but tbh, compared to Europe I'm not sure there's a lot of room for complaint.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-24-why-the-nintendo-3ds-costs-GBP230-article

More interesting is that it has info on the first estimated BoM for 3DS that I've seen, from UBM TechInsights. For whatever it is worth, they reckon a 3DS's components cost Nintendo $101.
d1755babc7c65bcbf1079cb06f8abe72.gif

My friend just received his 3DS from Amazon UK.

His dispatched a day before mine (Tuesday!) so I think I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow. And he pre ordered his later than me!

NO JUSTICE

Donnie

syoaran said:

I'm depressed with you man having tried a few games out :-(
Played in native resolution (which it's fair to say is pretty tiny) the games look great, better than my DSi in fact, but when scaled to the size of the screens (default option) they do look very poor. I have 7 DS games unplayed waiting to go too, so guess it's either keep a separate DS to play them on or get used to the tiny screens on 3DS which will allow me to use the (great) analogue. Hmmm.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
QR codes are awesome: it takes 2 seconds to import a Mii. I imported some posted on the Japanse launch thread (Andy from Toy Story, Goemon...) but someone needs to create a dedicated thread for it.

Dabookerman said:
Mine has arrived! From Tesco Ent

Only thing is, the receipt doesn't have a record of the discount...
What about you guys?

Im reading that on other forums too mate, i wouldnt worry about it check your bank and or phone tesco just to make sure.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
demonturkey said:
My friend just received his 3DS from Amazon UK.

His dispatched a day before mine (Tuesday!) so I think I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow. And he pre ordered his later than me!

NO JUSTICE

I've emailed them, told them about all these apparent discrepancies, and asked them to get cracking. Told them I'd be looking for a refund on my Priority Express if everything doesn't get to me tomorrow or on Saturday.

:'(

Linkified

Dabookerman said:
Mine has arrived! From Tesco Ent

Only thing is, the receipt doesn't have a record of the discount...
What about you guys?

Havung ordered products from there before, it doesn't show discount on your receipt but will be at the price you ordered it at.

Rekubot

Linkified said:
Havung ordered products from there before, it doesn't show discount on your receipt but will be at the price you ordered it at.
Yes, this happened to me when I pre-ordered Halo Reach.

Linkified said:
Thanks. I credit carded it, and it's not shown up yet. Should be fine in that case :)

Hmmmm anyone waiting for a tnt to bring them there 3ds order better make sure they check it before signing for it. A lad on another forum had his opened nicked the contents of the box and sealed back up.

Britprog said:
I won two tickets to the Nintendo 3DS VIP Launch Event event at Old Billingsgate in London which starts at 7pm tonight!!! Getting really hyped for it now!!

Just in case anyone particularly wants to watch the launch party its being broadcast tomorrow night on sky 1 and sky 3d

Rekubot

BGBW said:
So anyone tried going for the tshirt or do we assume they're all gone by now.
No way they're all gone yet. My 3DS is showing up today at some point so I'll try then. In the meantime, I'll keep staring at Super Monkey Ball...

Nicktendo86

Similar story with my Amazon UK order here, Street Fighter 4 is 'despatching soon' while my 3DS not yet been despatched, god I hope it arrives tomorrow.

Ugh. Just got a Amazon email in my inbox, got all excited and rushed to read it only to see that it was just Pilotwings shipping. Still waiting on SSFIV and Nintendogs + Cats, and no sign of my 3DS on its way although all three are listed as "Dispatching soon". Of course, as I live in the Highlands I'm probably fooked for getting anything tomorrow now, even if it does all go in the next hour or two...

Shanadeus

Banned
syoaran said:
If you live in the UK, it should get there tomorrow morning if its been picked by 5:30PM. It can obviously be delayed because of the post service, but amazon are quite good at getting it all out.

I remember that royal mail did a special service for Burning Crusade and the Wii, both of which were not picked up until 9-10PM. Don't fret (yet)
Well that's somewhat reassuring.
Might be worth mentioning that I only have the "Delivery Option: First Class "

1-2 business days or 2-3 business days for orders coming from Indigo Starfish

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Belgium here: Just got a message on my phone that I can pick up my 3DS in the local gamemania shop.
Now howling at the door in the office like a dog in heat. Come on! End this working day already!

Frillen

FUUUU! Both Pilotwings and the 3DS got shipped on Tuesday. Got Pilotwings today but no 3DS. Is it possible to go down to the mail office and just ask if they have it, so that I don't have to wait another day?

teeny

Amazon UK have me raging. It could all turn out fine, but the system and games I preordered back in Feb are set to "Dispatching Soon", whilst the system and games that I preordered late last week on behalf of my mum (for dad) have already been dispatched.

I mean, isnt there some kind of fucking queue? Ill be pissed if his pitches up before mine.

syoaran

Shanadeus said:
Well that's somewhat reassuring.
Might be worth mentioning that I only have the "Delivery Option: First Class "

Thats fine, but it does mean that as long as it was not "lost" in transit, it can still arrive Saturday.

To further explain this:

This does happen when theres tons of parcels in one area and the local dispatch office can not get enough staff to cover the amount of deliveries. This is just a question of how many people have parcel deliveries that day, where you live, and how hard the staff work. In my experience, its normally ok - but I can understand the frustration - felt the same when the Wii came out (8AM the day of launch, for the record).

Shanadeus

Banned
syoaran said:
Thats fine, but it does mean that as long as it was not "lost" in transit, it can still arrive Saturday.

To further explain this:

This does happen when theres tons of parcels in one area and the local dispatch office can not get enough staff to cover the amount of deliveries. This is just a question of how many people have parcel deliveries that day, where you live, and how hard the staff work. In my experience, its normally ok - but I can understand the frustration - felt the same when the Wii came out (8AM the day of launch, for the record).
Would I be able to get a delivery fee refund at the very least if it doesn't arrive on saturday?

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Been playing Super Street Fighter IV and Pilotwings.
Manual of SSFIV is awesome, full of colour and fat, just as I like them. Thank god fonr Nintendo bring it in here (although I wanted the 3D boxart :( ).
Im a starter with Street Fighter (played SFII and SSFII on super nes when I was small and beat with two characters arcade in SFIV in PC) and Im not very good.
But I could beat yesterday the arcade mode with Guile and Vega, and Seth in normal. I remember Seth giving me a VERY hard time in SFIV (and I played that game in easy) but in this game I could beat it not easy, but it was not as difficult, have they toned it down? (it was more difficult to beat Ryu nearly at the end of the arcade path with Vega than Seth, fuck the hadoken spamming the cpu does). Also played fast fight in online, one with a spanish (becuase of the name) and the other with a japanese. It really works great, no lag and it connects very fast. The first time it was a guy woth Blanka spamming the rolling attack, he one the first one and I won the second one. The next fight with the japanese, he had lots of player points already and he beat the shit of me.

Great game, I really love the music, particularly in the rival stage (of course, the classic melodies are simply awesome) much better than vanilla SFIV shitty soundtrack and shitty commentator. The graphics and the 3D are incredible. There are even achievements.

Pilotwings is not easy guys. Well, its easy to beat the game, and very fast. But thats not what Pilotwings consist. Three stars is relatively easy, but the perfect score 3 red stars is difficult, in some missions REALLY difficult (when you see you score at the end sometimes you will ask how the heck is possible to do it perfect). Thats how you play pilotwings, trying to get the perfect score in all missions, and that feels great.
Music is REALLY good, reminds me of SimCity music.

Nintendo translated Ghost Trick. At least in Spain, and we didnt had hear any spelling mistakes. Which country are you talking about?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I too have ordered Pilotwings & SSFIV. Please can you let me know what the d-pad & the analog/slider pad are like when doing special moves such as sonic booms, dragon punches & fireballs etc. Is it a pleasant experience? I've read some reviews saying bad things about the d-pad & analog/slider pad. I really hope that they are good. :D

syoaran

Shanadeus said:
Would I be able to get a delivery fee refund at the very least if it doesn't arrive on saturday?

Not knowing amazon's playbook off by heart, I doubt it. Unless you ordered guaranteed next day delivery, you only get a refund if the item took longer than 1-2 working days from the day it got dispatched. So, Monday afternoon then

Fritz said:
THANK YOU! Those are the two I am undecided about. And I am in the same spot, haven't really played Street fighjter since the SNES. Could you give a final judgement? Which one is the better game in your opinion. No need to elaborate, just which one you had more fun with.

Well, I played more yesterday night with SSFIV than Pilotwings (only becuase I didnt want to blow pilotwings in one setting, although as I have said, thats not how you play pilotwings, the fun is to get perfects, and thats not easy)
I had lots of fun with Pilotwings from what I played, but thats maybe becuase I really like Pilotwings (played more the supernes version). I need to play more though.

Played 3 hours of SSFIV, the game is awesome, too bad Im really not very good with it. Maybe with a little practice I have more fun. But yeah, it amazing, feels just like a big console fighter, with excellent graphics (static backgrounds dont bother too much, and look great in 3D), achievements, excellent internet play, lots of modes. Although the characters are unlocked and I thought that would be bad, I think now its for the better, every time you play with a character you can unlock stuff for him, like fun quotes for you as a player (Guile has one thats called "king of hairspray") and images for the avatar, and there are TONS to unlock.
Theres is a challenge mode were you can learn how to do moves for everyone, you can take it as training althought its not really that.
Had lots of fun (and some frustration) with SSFIV.

Hope that helps.

dc89 said:
OMFG!

I will have my 3DS at 5pm. What's all this about points and t-shirts?

First 3000 people to register their 3DS on Club Nintendo will apparently gets a t-shirt with an AR card on it. I saw no indication I'd get anything when I registered mine though, so maybe they're all gone or something.

angelfly

Shanadeus said:
They've always refunded my shipping on stuff that arrived after the guaranteed date. However that's Amazon US so EU may have a different policy.

dc89

DeadRockstar said:
First 3000 people to register their 3DS on Club Nintendo will apparently gets a t-shirt with an AR card on it. I saw no indication I'd get anything when I registered mine though, so maybe they're all gone or something.

dayum.

Still hyped to get my console later today though!

BillyG_3001 said:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I too have ordered Pilotwings & SSFIV. Please can you let me know what the d-pad & the analog/slider pad are like when doing special moves such as sonic booms, dragon punches & fireballs etc. Is it a pleasant experience? I've read some reviews saying bad things about the d-pad & analog/slider pad. I really hope that they are good. :D
Well, as I have say im not a good Street Fighter player, but from what Ive played doing moves is a little tricky.
Yesterday I played challenge mode with Ryu and at the end I could do Hadokens, Shoryukens and Metsu Hadokens with relative ease (without using the touch scren of course). The normal combo moves they made you do (fast kicks combined ith punches, etc...) are challenging and I couldn pull them, but it was the same when I tried to do them in SFIV in PC with keyboard (lol), and seems more that you need to be good doing combos than fault of the console.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
gofreak said:
For whatever it is worth, they reckon a 3DS's components cost Nintendo $101.

Hopefully people realize the system costs are more than just the components. There are development costs, marketing, packaging, trademark royalties, shipping etc.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
teeny said:
Amazon UK have me raging. It could all turn out fine, but the system and games I preordered back in Feb are set to "Dispatching Soon", whilst the system and games that I preordered late last week on behalf of my mum (for dad) have already been dispatched.

I mean, isnt there some kind of fucking queue? Ill be pissed if his pitches up before mine.

Hey, I pre-ordered, EXPEDITED delivery, on the very day Amazon made the 3DS available and it is still not 'preparing to be dispatched'. :<

Also, Dispatching soon means they will be dispatched on that day, so you should be fine.

Top Bottom