• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

well there is SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked (US, but no PAL release)

That's a DS game in a 3DS box as far as I can tell.

The wait for RPGs is going to be long I think. Not bothering with the Tales game personally as the time for accepting DS up-ports (in regard to other games like the Harvest Moon game, Devil Survivor) and ports from older system is over.

IrishNinja

wait, is Tales an up-port?
id bet on DQ, FF remakes/games at some point; for me the party starts with a TWEWY sequel.

seriously, wada. all sins will be forgiven.

Mileena

Banned
That's a DS game in a 3DS box as far as I can tell.

The wait for RPGs is going to be long I think. Not bothering with the Tales game personally as the time for accepting DS up-ports (in regard to other games like the Harvest Moon game, Devil Survivor) and ports from older system is over.

well FF6 3D would be the best game on the system for its whole lifetime so you are wrong buddy

Thoraxes

How is this? I'm fiending for a 3DS RPG but I know nothing about the game/series. Is it gonna be really daunting for someone who tends to be overwhelmed by complex/difficult RPG's?

If you don't want a difficult game, don't buy it. I've only played on normal/hard modes, but the people who played it on the easy had a tough time, they tell me.

RPGs always take a little while to get up and running on a new system. Usually between years 1-2 after a console releases they start coming out. This was true for the DS as well.

Lijik

Nice, let us know how it is.

I'm gonna pick up one more game tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I should go for a 3DS game or a DS game I missed. I haven't played 999 yet so I might get that.

Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D came in today and I played two stages of it. Given how similar they were, I'm going to take that to mean I've essentially played all of the game. Allow me to talk more about this game than anyone ever should:
The original DS game has a lot of love from me because despite being a shallow, repetitive game it didn't take itself too seriously and had concepts that'd make for a cool game if expanded on.
The 3DS iteration takes a step back in every aspect from what I've played of it. For starters- you get to name your dinosaur. In the DS version I had enough character space for the name "BADASS REX". In this iteration I have just enough room to squeeze out "MRBADASS". Fuckin bogus.
Things continue to feel sour as I move on to customizing the dinosaur's skin. Crazy stripe patterns like stars and flames are nice, but a vast majority of color options are locked. You unlock these seemingly at random in the game, so theres no real way to customize the dinosaur to one's liking until seemingly a good way into the game.
Next, part of the appeal for me in the DS version was attaching equipment to the dinosaur. There were horns, scales, and claws that could be equipped and they would be visually apparent in the character. While you can still attach things in the 3DS version, as far as I can tell they don't impact the model at all which is a bummer.

But these are all minor quibbles compared to what takes a major step back- the gameplay. The original had a sort of quasi-RPG sim thing going on. You wandered in an overhead map and found other dinosaurs to fight. You kept fighting till every dinosaur in the map was dead, at which point you move onto a new map. In the meantime you had to eat and drink to keep stamina up. Every map also had a hidden fight against a random assortment of objects such as telephone booths, tanks, school houses, and rocket ships. I remember the fights having a funky drawing mechanic during that was kinda interesting.

The 3DS version boils all of this down to its dullest basics. Instead of an explorable map, you go down what is essentially a linear corridor. Along the way you run into things which when destroyed sometime yield equipable items or unlock skin colors. At predetermined points you fight a dinosaur, which so far are all the same exact type per stage (i.e. one stage is all triceratops etc.) The fights make no attempt at being interesting and boil down to "dodge right before enemy attacks, mash B while they are confused". At the end of each stage is a boss dinosaur who only differs by having a different design and twice the health.

I dunno, the original felt engaging despite being the same damn thing over and over because its set up made me feel like I was surviving as this increasingly more badass dinosaur who sometimes punched out double decker buses. The 3DS game feels like a one button fighting game sandwiched between an equally dull dino-themed hallway simulator. Nothing even pretends to be remotely fun.
Despite that, the production values are legitimately really nice. The graphics are pretty decent and everything animates well. The 3D adds nothing to the gameplay, but it looks nice and doesn't hurt my eyes unlike some other Ubisoft releases (fuckin Rayman 3D). Its just too bad it wound up being an even more shallow game than the original and lost most of the crazy in the process.

According to reviews it stays exactly the same throughout with no surprises so I don't think I'm gonna bother to see this one through to the end.

Luigiv

They fixed the loading times and made it widescreen. And locked the framerate. Otherwise it's a straight port.

Yeah, I should probably Edit my OP in the |OT|. The framerate on the field isn't quite as improved as I had originally thought. There is still a fuck-tonne of slowdown, unfortunately.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks for the write-up, Lijik. The concept sounds awesome, too bad the execution sucks. I'll give the DS game a shot if I ever find it in a bargain bin.

Portugeezer

Hope they announce a 3DS Lite soon (E3 maybe?

QesZ9.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
Here are some impressions of all the 3DS games I've owned so far.

Pilotwings Resort - This game is still the best demonstration of 3D in my opinion. The controls are tight, the missions are well designed, and it's just a LOT of fun. Unfortunately it is kind of short. Even getting perfect scores on every mission should only take 20-25 hours. If you can find it for <$20, definitely pick it up.

Nintendogs + cats - One of those games you could play daily forever and ever ... or just forget about quickly. Personally, after I beat the top tier of the competitions, I stopped playing. There's just not much to do, and I wasn't motivated enough to keep playing to unlock all the items and stuff. It's okay for what it is. I wish Nintendo was more ambitious with this game.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D - A good game for quick play sessions. The circle pad feels surprisingly nice to me. If you're looking for a portable fighting game, you can't go wrong here.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - A modern military styled SRPG? It's a very neat idea, but unfortunately wasn't well executed. Tactically it's pretty shallow; the units are unbalanced and strategy isn't particularly needed. The story missions are incredibly boring, although the side missions are actually more interesting. I wouldn't recommend this game.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Sooooo good. Everything about this game is very polished. The controls are solid, dungeons and bosses well designed, pacing is smooth, the graphics are great, the camera seems improved and the Master Quest offers a nice challenge. A well-designed game like OOT holds up perfectly fine over time.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - Now this is a great SRPG. Overclocked introduces a number of improvements over the original: full voice acting, improved graphics and smoothed font, awesome new content, three save slots, easy mode, new/tweaked demons/skills for better balance, and the Demon Compendium feature which makes party building so much nicer. However, the pacing is a bit whack, and the story/characters get a bit tiring. Anyways, if you're looking for a good RPG, this is it.

Star Fox 64 3D - This game is a classic. It's still one of the best rail shooters ever. I don't really know what to say about it. You'll get out of it exactly what you expect. But no online lol.

Super Mario 3D Land - Another very polished and well-designed game from Nintendo. However the variety is a bit lacking, and the challenge level too low for the first half of the game. You can't go wrong with this game, although it didn't really "wow" me. Compared to the other mainline Mario games, I'd put SM3DL somewhere in the middle. Of course all Mario games have been pretty awesome though.

Mario Kart 7 - This is the best Mario Kart and the best 3DS game so far. For two reasons: the gameplay mechanics (drifting, tricking, gliding, coins, kart customization) are naturally improved over past games, and the online system is amazing (surprising for Nintendo!). However, the track design is kind of weak. But I would definitely recommend this game to anyone and everyone.

Lijik

Forgot to replace the cartridge in my 3DS, so I played more of fucking Combat of Giants today.

I got through one campaign as a "predator" type, and the game told me to play through each of the other three types to unlock the final level. So I chose a different type (represented as a different "region" on a prehistoric Earth) and picked a raptor.

This is the same damn first level I just played played with the same enemies except they're a little faster.

This is the laziest fucking game I've ever played holy shit, Im glad I only dropped 10 bones on it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised by how much fun Starfox still is today.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Eyeing quite a few of those. Is there any confirmation of Smash Bros for 3DS? I'd fuggin love to see that happen.

IrishNinja

wait, OoT is Master Quest, or do you have to unlock it?
and yeah, im gameflying Shinobi, Sonic Generations, and now Starfox 64 since i never did play that one anyway.

IrishNinja

jesus, look at those posts - OP needs updating! games to now look up and learn about just so i can weep when they're never localized:

James Noir's Hollywood Crimes - hotel dusk-ish?
Shinrei Camera: Tsuiteru Techou - this is fatal frame yes
Beyond the Labyrinth
Fantasy Life
Time Travelers
Guild01 (wtf)

games i will riot if we dont get
999 sequel
rhythm FF thing

jesus, look at those posts - OP needs updating! games to now look up and learn about just so i can weep when they're never localized:

James Noir's Hollywood Crimes - hotel dusk-ish?
Shinrei Camera: Tsuiteru Techou - this is fatal frame yes
Beyond the Labyrinth
Fantasy Life
Time Travelers
Guild01 (wtf)

games i will riot if we dont get
999 sequel
rhythm FF thing

Level 5 game that is actually 4 mini games from developers Suda 51, Saito, Matsuno, and Yoshiyuki Hirai.
The game shown is Suda's game (which has animation from the Bones studio who did Eureka Seven and Soul Eater among others).
Should be amazing.

IrishNinja

Level 5 game that is actually 4 mini games from developers Suda 51, Saito, Matsuno, and Yoshiyuki Hirai.
The game shown is Suda's game (which has animation from the Bones studio who did Eureka Seven and Soul Eater among others).
Should be amazing.

....shutupandtakemahrupees.jpg

over/under on the lot of these getting localized? factor 5 prolly has a chance, i'm thinking. FF game too. i really can't see Phoenix and Layton stuff not making it over at this point.

As far as I can tell, you have to unlock it. The option isn't there from the start.

yeah, i didnt see it either...was hoping it was the default, prolly not. off to the internets!

*edit: yup, unlocked. also, why don't i remember luigi's hidden mansion...

b3b0p

FUUUuuu... So many great games coming.

I think i have already preordered over half of those from Amazon too. Can't even keep track.

Rhythm Thief, Tekken 3D, Tales of the Abyss, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid 3D, and Mario & Sonic all in February...:O

Anyone picked up Samurai Sword Destiny yet?

I didn't think this was thread worthy, so I'll ask here:

Can anyone help me figure out what I was doing in Link's Awakening? I'm returning to it after not touching it for months, and I'm a bit lost. I don't think I'm very far--I have only the first two instruments, bombs, a shovel, and the thing that allows you to lift stuff. I haven't seen the right half of the map yet.

Effect

Do we know if Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D has improved any visually? Or does it still look the same as when footage of it was first shown?

Lijik

I didn't think this was thread worthy, so I'll ask here:

Can anyone help me figure out what I was doing in Link's Awakening? I'm returning to it after not touching it for months, and I'm a bit lost. I don't think I'm very far--I have only the first two instruments, bombs, a shovel, and the thing that allows you to lift stuff. I haven't seen the right half of the map yet.

I think on the right edge of the village there are rocks you can lift up?

I havent played it in years so im probably completely wrong!!

The Boat

Do we know if Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D has improved any visually? Or does it still look the same as when footage of it was first shown?

Well we can assume that with the extra time they add, it might look better by now, but honestly graphics weren't the problem, it was the controls. Seriously, controlling it was a pain in the ass. They included a first person mode now too. We'll have to wait and see.

-KRS-

wait, OoT is Master Quest, or do you have to unlock it?

I'm not sure but I think the "Master Quest" in the 3DS remake is not really the Master Quest game, but only a mirrored version of the game is it not? So the dungeon layout is still the same just the game is mirrored. I remember being a bit disappointed in that when hearing it at least. But I could be wrong.

docmoc

Neo Member
I'm not sure but I think the "Master Quest" in the 3DS remake is not really the Master Quest game, but only a mirrored version of the game is it not? So the dungeon layout is still the same just the game is mirrored. I remember being a bit disappointed in that when hearing it at least. But I could be wrong.
I've only finished the great deku tree so far but it has a different layout from the normal version + everything being mirrored. You also take double damage, something i don't think was included in the GC version.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Nah, the Master Quest in the 3DS game is the same as the original Master Quest game; the layouts are mirrored from the original N64 Master Quest.
...if that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom