• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 64 Vs. Sega Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

this is the same guy that tried to argue that the SNES had the best shooter library of the 16-bit era. he's shaming his poor avatar :(

...oh god i must've repressed that; no one could seriously hold that view

What are the good Saturn RPGs that are currently affordable? Say $30 and under.

Do you read japanese?

pretty much this, tragically. i can't stress enough emulating or backups or whatever works for your personal ethics because prices - especially in the last year or so - have gotten stupid-high.

LOL!

To be fair though, it doesn't even work there. Robyn and Janelle Monae fans really get the short end of the stick, lol.

ahaha, i know pop-GAF shade when i see it

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Rumor is that there was a far-in-development Saturn version of VF3 that Sega had no interest in releasing... they clearly decided to drop the Saturn after 1998, even if it could have made them more money to release VF3 and Shenmue on Saturn too (since Shenmue was also mostly finished for Saturn, it seems).
Sega's been weirdly fickle on VF for a loooong time.

The holiday 96 sales were due to a promotion where they cut the price drastically and gave away free games. Like I said, Bernie was there to save money and not pump it into a predetermined failure. If Tom K had just not botched the initial launch the whole gen would have been different.

Stolar was only good at releasing consoles, which makes it kind of amusing that he was fired by Sega in early '99. I forget the particular reason, but I think it had something to do with the $199 price point.

He was at Sega until a short while before the DC launch. He did a damn good job arming the DC with a launch lineup and getting the whole esthetic of the machine ready for North America. As soon as he was gone Sega of America began doing odd things like reversing the white packaging.

RAIDEN1

Just to clarify where I was coming from, when I said that the sales spoke for themselves as to which console was better....the consumers put the money where their mouth was, and brought more N64s than Saturn's...

If we are going to compare a 64 bit system to a 32 bit machine, then what was the problem with me comparing the Neo Geo to a Saturn? Both systems were highly capable 2-d machines...both were renowned for their 2-d capabilities...

Or I assume I mis-interpreted the thread?

nkarafo

The DC ran in a higher resolution than model 3. Naomi really destroyed Model 3 is many ways.
No way, Sega Rally 2 and Scud Race are both technically above anything on Naomi. Virtua On is also better looking than the newer Naomi version.

Then again, there's also Naomi 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No way, Sega Rally 2 and Scud Race are both technically above anything on Naomi. Virtua On is also better looking than the newer Naomi version.

That's up for debate but I think you're too easily dismissing the resolution difference.

Model 3 only rendered at 496x384 while Naomi/Dreamcast could handle 640x480. That's a pretty significant jump.

Perhaps what you like about Model 3 stems from its lack of mipmapping? It produces more shimmering at a distance but gives the impression of sharper textures. This is how the PS2 functioned as well, interestingly.

Unlike the N64 vs PS1 thread, this one actually is not 100% in favor of one or another for me. The Saturn while a rushed, over priced and quickly killed system was home to some of my favorite games, namely: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3 (pt 1 lol) , Shining the Holy Ark, Panzer Dragoon 1&2, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth, NiGHTS, and Guardian Heroes.

The N64 for me consists of Mario 64, Wave Race, Zelda OoT and MM, Yoshi's Story, Kirby, Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario

I guess I would say Saturn, but only slightly for my love of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Just to complete my 2 cents in all of today's "vs" threads: N64. This is the worst mismatch of the bunch. Saturn vs. Jaguar or 3DO would've been a better match.

Crisium

Just to complete my 2 cents in all of today's "vs" threads: N64. This is the worst mismatch of the bunch. Saturn vs. Jaguar or 3DO would've been a better match.

We forgive you only because your avatar shows you clearly are a Jaguar fan. Not everyone is unbiased like me.

Mzo

Unlike the N64 vs PS1 thread, this one actually is not 100% in favor of one or another for me. The Saturn while a rushed, over priced and quickly killed system was home to some of my favorite games, namely: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3 (pt 1 lol) , Shining the Holy Ark, Panzer Dragoon 1&2, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth, NiGHTS, and Guardian Heroes.

The N64 for me consists of Mario 64, Wave Race, Zelda OoT and MM, Yoshi's Story, Kirby, Ogre Battle 64, Paper Mario

I guess I would say Saturn, but only slightly for my love of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I agree that it's not a blowout like the other thread. This is a close race if you stick to US only titles. Once you get into the imports the Saturn starts to pull away.

Talking video resolution, which is the hot topic of this era and has always held true to performance this is what we have.

Model 3 Step 2 = 496x384 = 190464 pixels per frame
Dreamcast = 640x480 = 307200 pixels per frame

It is also conclusive due to Virtua Striker and Virtual On OT that the DC did these games just as well or better and at the same frame rate at the higher resolution. Your memory of Scud Race is coloured by perception during the era and isn't as good as your memory makes it out to be. Trust me, I dumped at least $100 into it and ruled the scoreboards. Sega Rally 2 on DC ran on Windows CE for networking purposes so a 1:1 comparison is not that valid however that version has far better alpha texture rendering than the Model 3 game (model 3 was not good at alphas) and even at a disadvantage got close.

The arcade never had a dedicated VS mode. So it's closer to being arcade perfect. :p
What the hell? I literally can't comprehend that happening.

We forgive you only because your avatar shows you clearly are a Jaguar fan. Not everyone is unbiased like me.

image.php

TBH I'd forgive you even if you were biased :)

Eusis

Huh, I forgot to give my thoughts.

I feel like it's almost like the SNES vs Genesis again, except there's a new titan that stole much of what Nintendo had, and Sega managed to pinch off a good chunk of what Nintendo had left (it certainly came ahead for RPGs anyway). I'm more favorable to the Saturn, and perhaps if I knew Japanese and readily imported it'd be a much easier win, but either way it feels like the Saturn addressed my niche desires more, while Nintendo delivered more on the bigger, more ambitious games. Kind of why the PS1 slaughtered both really, it had both at mildly reduced strength at worst.

GamerJM

Banned
Huh, I forgot to give my thoughts.

I feel like it's almost like the SNES vs Genesis again, except there's a new titan that stole much of what Nintendo had, and Sega managed to pinch off a good chunk of what Nintendo had left (it certainly came ahead for RPGs anyway). I'm more favorable to the Saturn, and perhaps if I knew Japanese and readily imported it'd be a much easier win, but either way it feels like the Saturn addressed my niche desires more, while Nintendo delivered more on the bigger, more ambitious games. Kind of why the PS1 slaughtered both really, it had both at mildly reduced strength at worst.

I think this is kind of disingenuous to the Genesis. It had a longer lifespan than the Saturn and excelled in a couple areas that the Saturn didn't as much.

The holiday 96 sales were due to a promotion where they cut the price drastically and gave away free games.
You mean they cut the price to match Sony's price, and included a 3-game bundle of early titles with the system. Sega did not go under the PS1's price, and all three of the included games were from 1995; they were not new games. Neither one of those things are anywhere near as extreme as you make them sound.

Also, of course, they did some okay marketing, and also had NiGHTS that year, certainly one of the bigger system sellers the Saturn had. And it worked. There's no reason that something like it couldn't have worked again, other than that Bernie wanted the Saturn dead, NOW, regardless of whether it was a sane idea or not.

Like I said, Bernie was there to save money and not pump it into a predetermined failure.
Destroying your company's primary source of revenue and replacing it with nothing isn't something anyone should be defending, ever. Getting rid of most of your staff, releasing few games, making little money, and allowing the public to forget about you are NOT the way to convince anyone to buy your next system a few years down the line! Those things will, of course, have very bad effects long-term, which is exactly what happened.

If Tom K had just not botched the initial launch the whole gen would have been different.
Kalinske didn't mess up the launch, Sega of Japan did. He just did what they made him do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom