• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo - Amiibo Milestone: Shipments Reach 10.5 million

I've got Marth, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Bowser (Super Mario line). The only one I actually wanted was Bowser.

And I'm getting Splatoon Girl and Wooly Yoshi soon.

I don't even know what to do with them.

Sendou

They don't even have stock for the retailers.

Besides one of the ideas behind Amiibos was getting Nintendo shelf space in retail stores thus increasing Nintendo IP's visiblity. Plus I'm sure some retailers feel good when there's a popular product Nintendo isn't selling digitally. Of course former doesn't work until Amiibo stock is plenty.

I have a Toon Link, Mario, and Peach. My son is fascinated by the fact that he can put these toys into Smash Bros.

Nintendo isn't doomed at all.

XaosWolf

Jesus christ People, stop buying these damn things.

So that I can find a Megaman Amiibo :[

Most ridiculous thing is how I got a Mega Man so damn easily, but King fucking Dedede is one of the super rare ones. /=,

As for the Splatoon amiibo, I got an email from Nintendo saying they were available, and the link took me straight through to see that they were all sold out. Fantastic.

I got all of them preordered somehow via mixed sources now so that point is moot

Even though the stock has been shit and preorders a giant clusterfuck, I think the frenzy really helps sell them more than they otherwise would.

They're fringe feature figures for the poorly selling wiiu and a new 3ds model.

I wouldn't have bought 10 without the bullshit urgency clashing with my collectors disease.

There are plenty of more people with the same collectors disease. It's something that a lot of Nintendo fans have wanted for a long time; little figures of their favourite characters from Nintendos best games.

6 months later and we are STILL in the same position as before, with the rare figures from the 1st and 2nd waves.

22l.jpg

Source : http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/150508/03.html

10% of those european shipments are for germany only. The rest of countries have to battle themselves for them lol

Soul Lab

10% of those european shipments are for germany only. The rest of countries have to battle themselves for them lol
Switzerland is pretty blessed tbh. I could have had all of the amiibos (at their launch, no need to preorder) without big problems. Yes also rare ones like Meta Knight. But If you wait too long, they're also impossible to get ofc.
Atm I have Mario, Link, Luigi, Mega Man, Fox, Captain Falcon, Shulk, Marth, Pit, Toon Link, Villager. So I got all I wanted.... almost
My fault was I waited too long to buy Lucina, Robin and Pacman. The first amiibos which were sold out on launch day. This wave seems pretty rare :/

I think that's a gross understatement. amiibo are massively successful for the amount that have been shipped and put in stores..

Not even close, In less than a few months Skylanders sold 22 million alone.

It has taken Amiibo's over half a year to sell 10.

If Disney, which started slow, moved faster than this. Amiibo's success is slightly exaggerated. It's doing great, just not super amazing.

Fox Mulder

Not even close, In less than a few months Skylanders sold 22 million alone.

It has taken Amiibo's over half a year to sell 10.

If Disney, which started slow, moved faster than this. Amiibo's success is slightly exaggerated. It's doing great, just not super amazing.

Skylanders and Infinity are multiplatform. Of course nintendo is selling less when they are also producing fewer. Amiibos are doing fine for the amount of nintendo consoles out there and has no problem selling out as soon as they hit shelves.

Rocky

Banned
I feel like one of the reasons they became popular and why they sell out within minutes is because collectors, and then resellers, realized some are produced in limited quantaties. If all were constantly available I have doubts that the current frenzy would exist. It's definitely helped fuel the frenzy but if thet were all readily available I'm not certain they would have sold significantly more.

I agree. I think the majority of buyers aren't getting them for their NFC capability. I have over 20 of them and haven't scanned one of them into my WiiU.

I wonder if it would make sense for Nintendo to release a version of Amiibo without the NFC chip. They could be cheaper to produce without the chip and be sold at a lower price than the NFC amiibo. Then collectors could get the non-NFC ones and people who want to use them the way they were intended could get the normal ones.

Circinus

Really don't understand the appeal, but more power to Nintendo (and Amiibo fans) for having something that - strangely enough - people seem to enjoy purchasing.

Neoxon

I jokingly (?) hold all those people saying that there would be a ton of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer Amiibos on clearance in a few months for what happened.

Seeing so many posts mad me decide to not get both be I thought they would get discounted later.

...they were in my hand.
oE5xaqR.gif

OuterLimits

I must admit they are neat. I wasn't planning to buy them when they were announced but now I have four. Even simple things like using them each day in Hyrule Warriors to see what random item I get is rather fun.

Skylanders and Infinity are multiplatform. Of course nintendo is selling less when they are also producing fewer. Amiibos are doing fine for the amount of nintendo consoles out there and has no problem selling out as soon as they hit shelves.

Skylanders did around 30 million on the 360 alone in the same time frame as Amiibo.

Disney Infinity did over 10 in the same time frame on the 360 alone.

They are doing ok, not that great. People are putting way to much into these numbers. Heck, Wii Skylanders did better.

Kouriozan

And before launch I thought it would fail because it was too little too late, but at least I could get them all.
Oh wrong I was, everything is sold out and lock me out of some games's content.

Draxal

I often hear the shortages are worse in EU and AUS. AUS, especially has such low stock all the time. NA is just much more louder in their anger about shortages.

Nah, Europe had it great until Americans started importing from Europe starting with wave 3. Aus had about the same shortage rate as the States.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Skylanders did around 30 million on the 360 alone in the same time frame as Amiibo.

Disney Infinity did over 10 in the same time frame on the 360 alone.

They are doing ok, not that great. People are putting way to much into these numbers. Heck, Wii Skylanders did better.

Could you tell me where did you find 30 millions on 360 alone? All the sources I've found so far talk about 30 millions toys sold in general up to March 31st, 2012.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/05/09/skylanders-toy-sales-exceed-30-million.aspx
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oc...-ct-skylanders-video-game-activision-20121023
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/call-of-duty-has-40-million-active-users

No reference at all to those being 360 only numbers, so I assume they're the numbers across all consoles, all SKUs (starter packs, toy packs, etc.).

About Disney Infinity, what I could find was the amount of starter packs sold up to December 31st: 3 millions.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-20-disney-infinity-sells-3-million-starter-packs
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/bl...rter-packs-sold-and-big-game-downloadable-toy

This means 9 millions in three months at least (the Starter Packs of the original Disney Infinity had 3 toys included). Again, overall, not just on one console.

If you have other sources that confirm what you said, feel free to post them. More infos about sales are better, after all!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's selling well, but how much did it add to Nintendo profits? 50 millions at best? Obviously it will keep selling for months/years, so that's a nice new pillar for Nintendo. But it's not the main reason why Nintendo made profits again this year.

*edit* wrong thread

Seems to be gone for the moment

Holy crap I just got a Marth from Amazon for $13. Backordered but estimated delivery May 15!

Randomly checked Amazon while looking up a NuWave oven while watching infomercials.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nintendo should just become a toy company,

They are a toy company, see themselves as a toy company, and see the products they make - including video games - as toys.

I think Nintendo is just realizing how aggressively they need to pursue their positioning as as a toy company rather than trying to be something they're not; such as a competitor in the bloody red ocean of the "hardcore" game console market for 18-30 year olds.

Stanng243

Whatever happened to the 2nd wave of Shulk that you had to preorder at Gamestop? i thought that was supposed to ship the 2nd?

Top Bottom