• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Kirby 20th Anniversary Wii disc

@MUWANdo

Banned
What made the Mario 20th collection was that All Stars isnt availible anywhere else. With Kirby...most of the games aside from Dreamland 2, are either already on the Wii / 3DS VC, or have been remade. Wonder how they'll set them apart.

Maybe this one will have, like, menus and control configs... y'know, the sort of stuff every other ROM-dump ever has had. If they expect people to play with a sideways Wiimote like the did with the Mario collection then they're gonna have to.

Do you know how much intergalactic calls cost in this economy? Of course Samus isn't going to get a call for her greatest games.

Hopefully the Prime series wouldn't be on a Greatest Games disc.

Tookay

I'm just happy to see Kirby receive so much love this gen. It kinda felt like he was the neglected stepchild a while back, during the 64-GCN era.

Now Metroid is.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well depending on the games I'm much more likely to buy this than the Super Mario Bros 25th anniversary collection. I already had All Stars, but my Kirby Collection is pretty small; Fun Pak, Dream Course and Power Paintbrush and the one on GBA as part of the ambassador package, so there's a good chance for something in this collection that I don't have.

also

Banned
The 31st Kirby game this generation, wow!
I'd buy this if they added some of the dead prototypes...
Why did you have to remind me ;_;
maboroshi03.jpg

maboroshi02.jpg

And just this morning I rounded out my collection on the recent deluge of Kirby games this gen with mass attack then this is announced, I swear the Kirby releases are never ending.
Hopefully it will include the few games I haven't played like Dreamland 3.

Now as for you people upset about the lack of Metroid celebratory stuff at least there was the MP Trilogy right?
So you know who really got shafted here, Donkey Kong again!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is that what became Epic Yarn?

No, it's one of the many prototypes HAL worked on (and scrapped) between Crystal Shards and Return to Dreamland.

Epic Yarn was developed by another company (Good-Feel) and later became a Kirby game, but the yarn aesthetic was present from the very beginning.

wrowa

No, it's one of the many prototypes HAL worked on (and scrapped) between Crystal Shards and Return to Dreamland.

Epic Yarn was developed by another company (Good-Feel) and later became a Kirby game, but the yarn aesthetic was present from the very beginning.

I know that Epic Yarn was developed by Good-Feel. That's actually the reason I asked the question: The high-res 2D resembles very much what Good-Feel have done with Wario Shake Dimension.

Though, that HAL went from this beatiful prototype to the ugly 3D graphics is quite a sad turn.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan and I've never played a Kirby game. The shame of it.

At the risk of being obliterated in this thread; you'll have fun with pretty much any of the Kirby games, but none of them are really life-changers and the more you play, the more you'll realize how much overlap there is between them.

Luigiv

I know that Epic Yarn was developed by Good-Feel. That's actually the reason I asked the question: The high-res 2D resembles very much what Good-Feel have done with Wario Shake Dimension.

Though, that HAL went from this beatiful prototype to the ugly 3D graphics is quite a sad turn.

Umm, the graphics are quite obviously cel-shaded 3D (well at least the characters are). Also the high-res 2D artwork of Wario Shake Dimension was actually done by Production IG, not Good-Feel internally.

zroid

Banned
At the risk of being obliterated in this thread; you'll have fun with pretty much any of the Kirby games, but none of them are really life-changers and the more you play, the more you'll realize how much overlap there is between them.

I would say there are two absolute must-play Kirby games. Super Star and Epic Yarn. As you said, the others, while good games in their own right, don't bring anything else particularly new to the table (although Crystal Shards' fusion mechanic was a lot of fun).

edit: forgot about Canvas Curse, that's probably worth playing too. :)

No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid. No Metroid.

No Metroid=The Baby

I was at a half priced book store and saw the SNES cart for this. Sad thing is I don't have a SNES anymore or else I would have snatched it up.

As someone who has only played Kirby's Dream Land on the Game Boy about eight years ago, this disc may apply to me. Hopefully it has a good games to price ratio. Come on, Nintendo.

Air Ride with 16:9 would be worth the price of admission, but I don't expect it.

Nintendo should've re-released the Zelda collection from the GC as a Wii game, or something. Weren't there problems with the games on it?

If Nintendo actually put in playable demos of the canned GC games... *dies*

Surely the original Kirby GC game is fully playable, the trailer looked nice and polished with plenty of stages.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I agree actually, with the one caveat that Canvas Curse (which is really its own thing) is the one Kirby branded product everyone should play even if they're not looking for a platformer.

Still one of the more creative and interesting games of the last decade imho.

wrowa

Umm, the graphics are quite obviously cel-shaded 3D (well at least the characters are). Also the high-res 2D artwork of Wario Shake Dimension was actually done by Production IG, not Good-Feel internally.

The animations have been done by Production IG, not the art itself. And art isn't limited to the characters on screen...

FyreWulff

Could the game work on just a Wii Remote? I was under the impression that the game uses very few controls, but it might need that analog stick.

I imagine it'd have turning remapped to either the dpad or motion control, or maybe just require the chuck, especially since they took the GameCube ports out of the new Wiis, so they can't rely on a GC control scheme as an option.

They'd probably have to go in and strip out LAN mode too

abasm

Metroid needs to actually be one of their significant franchises first

It is, but not in Japan. Japan couldn't care less about Metroid. "Other M" was their attempt to make a Metroid that could appeal to Japanese audiences, and they botched it.

My guess: any future Metroid games will either be eShop downloadable titles or western-made from now on.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Again?

Just like the Super Mario 25th Anniversary Disc.

Does Nintendo not understand that nobody wants these old games on a disc unless there is something added?

I'd pay for all the old metroid games(not prime) on one disc.

kinda sucks nothing like this happened for its 20th

FyreWulff

It is, but not in Japan. Japan couldn't care less about Metroid. "Other M" was their attempt to make a Metroid that could appeal to Japanese audiences, and they botched it.

My guess: any future Metroid games will either be eShop downloadable titles or western-made from now on.

It's not a significant franchise in the West, either. Nintendo's top core franchises are stuff like Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Wii Fit. They bring in significant amounts of money and licensing fees.

Metroid, on the other hand, continues a downward trend with each new release. Nintendo fans (which I am one of) overvalue Metroid's market value, even though the games are well received critically. It's not one of their core franchises. Retro actually gets to work on franchises that actually sell like Donkey Kong now.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

You're already seeing that most people sort of agree with you actually.

I myself always think "hey, maybe I'll get THIS new Kirby game" and then I never do because very few look exciting. Apart from the spin-off Kirby's Pinball Land (which is awesome), I've only ever bought 3: Kirby's Adventure (NES, my favorite), Canvas Curse (which, as original and well made as it is, sorta bored me) and a couple of days ago Return to Dreamland/Kirby's Adventure Wii because it's a full blown console Kirby game with multiplayer.

I'm not sure I'm interested in a compilation, honestly.

Trike

Eww, people liked Epic Yarn. Is it just because the pretty visuals? That was the only good thing about that game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Eww, people liked Epic Yarn. Is it just because the pretty visuals? That was the only good thing about that game.

I love nearly every game in the Kirby franchise, but yes, Epic Yarn bored me. It does have amazing presentation with its graphics and music though.

Top Bottom