• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces Kirby 20th Anniversary Wii disc

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I was surprised by the 20th anniversary logo...

I'd have bet anything that they'd have used Kirby with mouth open as the "0".

Madao

Kirby gets a 20th anniversary disk and F-Zero doesn't? there's no justice.

i filed the no 20th anniversary for F-Zero thing as "they only do 25th anniversaries" but this is salt and pepper in the wound.

and that's not even considering Metroid...

edit: you guys will kill me but i found Return to dreamland more fun than Epic Yarn.

Teknoman

Ignoring the lazy room decorating (which is completely disposable anyway), the game was near flawless.

Epic Yarn is an absolute delight to play.

Its fun for awhile in co-op, until you realize you cant die/ there isnt any kind of ultimate mode or unlockable mode after beating the game. I guess I just prefer the more hectic pace and soundtrack style of the other titles. Mass Attack's compositions were different, but they still had that Kirby feel. Epic Yarn's stuff didnt sound like anything you'd hear in a Kirby game.

Also no amazing final boss battle.

i filed the no 20th anniversary for F-Zero thing as "they only do 25th anniversaries" but this is salt and pepper in the wound.

edit: you guys will kill me but i found Return to dreamland more fun than Epic Yarn.

Return to Dreamland is amazing, so no killing today :p Great boss fights, really nice final stage sequence, top notch soundtrack, along with really nice environment art. 2-4 player co-op with different characters and team up attacks made the game even better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450006

Last years music appreciation thread in honor of anniversary. Too bad a few of the images I used appear to be completely missing from minus' servers.

Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii is the best traditional Kirby game, though I probably prefer Adventure (NES) more myself for some reason, i'd say nostalgia but the GBA remake nightmare in dreamland was my first foray into that entry so maybe it's just the Butter Building music which is the god of kirby themes.

zroid

Banned
Its fun for awhile in co-op, until you realize you cant die/ there isnt any kind of ultimate mode or unlockable mode after beating the game.

This didn't bother me even a little. The conceit of dying was never needed in this game because of the way it encourages you to find your own challenge through amassing beads. It was brilliant design.

This didn't bother me even a little. The conceit of dying was never needed in this game because of the way it encourages you to find your own challenge through amassing beads. It was brilliant design.

Also the fact you rarely die in other Kirby games makes the lack of death feel normal, in fact being knocked down a pit spilling beads on the way and then losing more to the void upon being pulled back out was far more devastating than any demise in a previous Kirby game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Its fun for awhile in co-op, until you realize you cant die/ there isnt any kind of ultimate mode or unlockable mode after beating the game.

cf

Return to Dreamland is amazing, so no killing today :p Great boss fights, really nice final stage sequence, top notch soundtrack, along with really nice environment art. 2-4 player co-op with different characters and team up attacks made the game even better.

Return to Dream Land is actually quite a bit easier than Epic Yarn (to achieve the central goal of the game or to 100%), and yet people think Epic Yarn was easier because when you fall in a hole or get whacked by a no-doubt near-motionless baddie, you don't get a black screen and a decrementing number.

I died somewhere between 5 and 8 times when I played Return to Dream Land. 3 of them were in one of the Kuribo's Shoe levels because I never really clicked with that mechanic. I had to replay about 4-5 stages, mostly stages that had treasures you could easily continue past. There's no stage in Return to Dream Land that goes anywhere near the difficulty of golding the scrolling pirate ship bonus stage in Epic Yarn, for example.

The thing that really, really kills me about RTDL--and this is not a gameplay complaint, it's a presentation complaint--is those hideous Saturday Morning TV CG sequences in Return to Dream Land, that unfold silently, with no voice acting, encoded poorly, and surrounded by thick static borders. The game doesn't come anywhere near filling up the disc, so they don't even have that excuse. Epic Yarn, by contrast, had an engaging and vibrant storybook presentation with a narrator that evoked, say, Winnie the Pooh.

NIGHT-

Still need to pick this up. Some how it flew past my radar

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
People than want a really challenging Kirby game should try 100%ing Mass Attack. It's an amazing game, and brutally difficult in the later stages to 100% (ie; no damage runs, etc)

Kangi

People than want a really challenging Kirby game should try 100%ing Mass Attack. It's an amazing game, and brutally difficult in the later stages to 100% (ie; no damage runs, etc)

Oh goodness, no. The second I beat the final boss I stopped playing that game. It kicked my rear end horribly, and this is someone who managed to beat The True Arena in Super Star Ultra.

Also, I'm neutral on whether RTDL or Epic Yarn is better. The former is a definitive Kirby experience, but the latter is so charming and clever.

also

Banned
Oh goodness, no. The second I beat the final boss I stopped playing that game. It kicked my rear end horribly, and this is someone who managed to beat The True Arena in Super Star Ultra.

My interest in Mass Attack suddenly increased.

cf

Return to Dream Land is actually quite a bit easier than Epic Yarn (to achieve the central goal of the game or to 100%), and yet people think Epic Yarn was easier because when you fall in a hole or get whacked by a no-doubt near-motionless baddie, you don't get a black screen and a decrementing number.

I died somewhere between 5 and 8 times when I played Return to Dream Land. 3 of them were in one of the Kuribo's Shoe levels because I never really clicked with that mechanic. I had to replay about 4-5 stages, mostly stages that had treasures you could easily continue past. There's no stage in Return to Dream Land that goes anywhere near the difficulty of golding the scrolling pirate ship bonus stage in Epic Yarn, for example.

Nah, RtDL is much, much harder than Epic Yarn to 100%. Getting Platinum on the challenges is really tough, not to mention the True Arena. Epic Yarn didn't have any really difficult parts, just maybe getting a couple gold and a few challenges were a bit hard.

Boerseun

Banned
There has never been a bad Kirby game, as far as I can remember.

Kirby Air Ride is certainly my own personal favourite of the bunch, but I'd be happy with whatever they deemed worthy of putting on the disc, I reckon. The more games the better though.

Here's what they should do

Kirby Console Collection

Kirby's Adventure
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby's Avalanche
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Kirby Air Ride

Kirby Handheld Collection

Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Kirby: Squeak Squad

Pipe dream :v

Jackano

Well, this is even harder for the Metroid anniversary ^^

Not gonna buy it if they didn't impriove their forumla over the shamefull Super Mario Collection of badly emulated roms with joke 16 tunes music CD.

But, since Satoru Iwata, as the former HAL Lab. boss, is in love with his Kirby, I think this disc can be good. I hope they include a full GC or Wii game, and complete with some interesting SNES games. And a great music CD, naturally.

Yuterald

Nah, RtDL is much, much harder than Epic Yarn to 100%. Getting Platinum on the challenges is really tough, not to mention the True Arena. Epic Yarn didn't have any really difficult parts, just maybe getting a couple gold and a few challenges were a bit hard.

This is very true. I just finished RtDL 100% (all Platinum Medals on Normal and EX, as well as both Arenas completed) two days ago and it's probably the hardest Kirby game in terms of 100%'ing (next to Mass Attack, I suppose). Those EX Platinum Medals require near perfect memorization and accuracy (especially the Wing Challenge on EX, that air tunnel with the row of coins, oh my god, so frustrating). The True Arena is pretty tough, even if you are using the Leaf Ability. I've played a lot of the older Kirby titles too, but I don't remember how difficult their Arenas were. I can't even recall beating many of the Boss Rush modes in previous Kirby titles so forgive me if there are in fact more challenging Arenas.

I LOVED Epic Yarn, but it's definitely not too hard to get Gold Medals. The hardest thing in that game were some of the Apartment Challenges. I think in general the most difficult thing about Kirby games are always its bonus mode/boss rush challenges. I always find it funny when people complain about the games being easy yet they probably have never completed an Arena in a Kirby game. They are certainly no pushovers!

I'm not a fan of judging Kirby difficulty by the arenas, it's not the main draw of the game and it's like one optional part of the experience that derives difficulty from being an endurance run for the most part.

But on this note getting a AAA rank for Canvas Curse Paint Roller boss on the hardest difficulty is the absolute tip top of the aggravating side of the Kirby experience for me, never again!

Tookay

The thing that really, really kills me about RTDL--and this is not a gameplay complaint, it's a presentation complaint--is those hideous Saturday Morning TV CG sequences in Return to Dream Land, that unfold silently, with no voice acting, encoded poorly, and surrounded by thick static borders. The game doesn't come anywhere near filling up the disc, so they don't even have that excuse. Epic Yarn, by contrast, had an engaging and vibrant storybook presentation with a narrator that evoked, say, Winnie the Pooh.

I agree with that. RTDL's story sequences felt extremely half-assed. Epic Yarn and even Superstar (particularly Revenge of the Metaknight) did a better job telling a simple, charming story.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Having played a majority of Kirby games, I never liked any of them. I haven't played the recent Wii games nor Superstar Saga, but none of the GB, NES, and GBA games ever impressed.

Just never got the appeal I suppose. Changing powers is great, but the backtracking for specialized powers to open new pathways and doors always annoyed me. That and the lack of sustainable challenge, what is the hook?

Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are probably my favorite, but not exactly Kirby games proper.

Having played a majority of Kirby games, I never liked any of them. I haven't played the recent Wii games nor Superstar Saga, but none of the GB, NES, and GBA games ever impressed.

Just never got the appeal I suppose. Changing powers is great, but the backtracking for specialized powers to open new pathways and doors always annoyed me. That and the lack of sustainable challenge, what is the hook?

Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are probably my favorite, but not exactly Kirby games proper.

son

Here's what they should do

Kirby Handheld Collection

Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Kirby: Squeak Squad

Pipe dream :v

Since I lost my copy of Amazing Mirror some time ago, I'd really like a re-release of this, preferably with multiplayer intact. Squeak Squad kind of falls flat in comparison.

Brandon F

Problem? Always bummed me out when I had to exit to the overworld map because I need an ability that breaks through this special wall to reach that secret door. Which level door has that ability? Ugh, why am I even playing this?

Tookay

So... you've played the majority, but you haven't played the best ones? I'm sorry.

Problem? Always bummed me out when I had to exit to the overworld map because I need an ability that breaks through this special wall to reach that secret door. Which level door has that ability? Ugh, why am I even playing this?

You are playing Kirby with the worst mindset (also they almost always give you the power you need in the level, or right before the thing you need it for except for a couple notable exceptions in Crystal Shards.)

Brandon F

So... you've played the majority, but you haven't played the best ones? I'm sorry.

Maybe the 13th Kirby game will actually be gud!

Well, that may be true...I've really been meaning to snag Superstar Saga DS. If it's on the collection I'll be sure to do that instead.

Tookay

Maybe the 13th Kirby game will actually be gud!

Well, that may be true...I've really been meaning to snag Superstar Saga DS. If it's on the collection I'll be sure to do that instead.

Eh, you know what. Don't bother. The series isn't for you and that's okay. Even though there are a couple versions that are clearly better than others, they're better for their nuances and their applications of the same concepts you are railing against. They probably won't change your mind.

Neo Child

Banned
epic yarn is the best kirby game ive ever played. first one i owned was the gameboy one and have played basically every one since then (missed out air ride, never found it).

also havent played return to dreamland, really want to play that. but epic yarn, 2player on that, the creativity, levels, music, super powers, rope, everything - AH perfect 2player game. much better than littlebigplanet in my opinion (lots of folk seemed to think it was a rip off of that ) ><

If it's real good and has most of the older console titles, I can consider selling off my CIB copy of Kirby Superstar. Shame Dreamland 3 is so tough to find.

zroid

Banned
This thread/news has got me listening to the Epic Yarn soundtrack again. Forgot how totally awesome it was.

Dat piano.

Guys,
Famitsu has its title in this week preview section.
Scans are out somewhere, can someone translate them? It seems there are 6 games inside.

Edit: nvm, the scan is out on Famitsu website:

l_4fb3233cdd84d.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
Yeah, it's definitely just a list of the games. The games pictured are:

(1992) Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
(1993) Kirby's Adventure (NES)
(1993) Kirby's Pinball Land (GB)
(1994) Kirby's Dream Course (SNES)
(1995) Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
(1995) Kirby's Block Ball (GB)

Are you including the second playthrough mode when you're talking about RtDL? I heard that was a lot harder but I had never tried it.

And I thought the cutscenes were done in that style to evoke memories of Kirby 64.

Berordn

Are you including the second playthrough mode when you're talking about RtDL? I heard that was a lot harder but I had never tried it.

The challenge in RtDL and Epic Yarn is significantly different. While RtDL is a fairly easy action game, the extra mode kicks it up to 11 once you hit the boss fights and a few of the later levels. Epic Yarn makes you do some pretty tricky platforming challenges, but the no-death thing makes it appear trivial.

I guess I lost what I was trying to say, so I'll say that RtDL's True Arena is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Top Bottom