• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

MarkusRJR

Depending on battery life and comfort, I'm gonna pick this up as my carry-around 3DS. I have like hundreds of dollars in download able games on my main 3DS, to the point where I'm scared I'll get mugged (really common where I live) or lose the thing.

I understand why they didn't keep it clamshell though. Both the 3DS and 3DS XL have issues regarding the top screen being scratched by the bottom screen. Given the target market, making no hinge makes it both more durable and less expensive to produce.

L.O.R.D

better version
nVqwtXG.jpg

introducing...the NEW CIRCLE PAD PRO for the NEW 2D

hZrSVX2.png

i have master degree in ms paint
Looking at photos the system has no IR port. Its not going to happen, the peripheral can not talk to the hardware...

Wonder what this means for developer support. It'll join my DK bongos and MotionPlus in under-ultilised...

gkryhewy

I understand why they didn't keep it clamshell though. Both the 3DS and 3DS XL have issues regarding the top screen being scratched by the bottom screen. Given the target market, making no hinge makes it both more durable and less expensive to produce.

Also, clamshells are essentially dead as a tech design paradigm aside from the 3DS -- to the degree that having a clamshell may be a brand liability.

Symphonic

So this is basically them announcing 3d is dead and everyone should stop worrying about implementing it on 3ds. Very disappointing.

Why remove 3d for any reason (other than cost cutting)? If someone doesn't like it, they can turn it off!

Uh..that's exactly why? Just to cut costs. This is the iPhone 5C of Nintendo. If anything this'll make 3DS more valued because it'll cost "premium" or some shit.

The real problem here is the lack of clamshell, imo.

I guess they couldn't drop their manufacturing costs enough on the original to hit the fisher price toy market.

Chances are they could easily have sold this at 99 but why bother when Pokemon is about to come out.

apana

I wonder how much money they are making off of this at such a low price point? There is no doubt in my mind that 4DS will be a very conservative console. The twist will be some kind of new touch capability (haptic feedback???) but everything else will be the absolute cheapest they can build. No 3D screen, graphics not much better than 3DS, etc.

jedimike

Depending on battery life and comfort, I'm gonna pick this up as my carry-around 3DS. I have like hundreds of dollars in download able games on my main 3DS, to the point where I'm scared I'll get mugged (really common where I live) or lose the thing.

How is an exposed screen more durable? And since you can't put it in your pocket, how are you less likely to be mugged?

soultron

Banned
This thing is probably super cheap to manufacture compared to the OG 3DS and XL, but its tablet-like form factor is befuddling; 2 screens separated on the same surface and having different sizes/resolutions. I'd imagine someone without any exposure to the DS/_DS family would be slightly confused by the unit's appearance as well.

Interesting move by Nintendo. Looking forward to seeing sales numbers for it at the end of the fiscal year.

Say what you want but i think this design is much more "understandable" and open to the general public than a clamshell. I see a glorious future as a kids/household device.

I... what the fuck? I was dead certain this was a joke article or thread or something when I opened it and even after I read the OP I thought it was a joke. Damn, Nintendo you crazy.

Orayn

• Microsoft releases Xbox One
  • Sony releases PS4
  • Nintendo releases 2DS

Nintendo wot r u doin?

New economy compact car unexpectedly released in same timeframe as luxury sedan and sports car.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING, THEY'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO COMPETE! IDIOTS!

QaaQer

But they are still going to lose that battle because tablets offer much more utility and much cheaper games.

samsung-galaxy-tab3-kids-big.jpg

freetime-unlimited-image.jpg

As a parent, I would much rather give kids either of those....

I think if the 2ds has a finger friendly (so bigger plus capacitive) + highly scratch resistant screen, then I would respect the kid-friendly nature of this device. As it is, tiny screen + stylus + a screen that scratches as easily as polycarbonate CDs = kid unfriendly. So yeah, I agree with you.

I wonder how much money they are making off of this at such a low price point? There is no doubt in my mind that 4DS will be a very conservative console. The twist will be some kind of new touch capability (haptic feedback???) but everything else will be the absolute cheapest they can build. No 3D screen, graphics not much better than 3DS, etc.

4DS will be an xtra large tablet

Vibranium

Banned
I think I need to get a 3DS XL soon before they discontinue it.

They won't discontinue it, since the 2DS model is aimed mainly at casuals and kids. The XL will stick around until the next generation portable.

Heh, I could see the system gaining a cult following like the Game Boy Micro.

Now everyone seems to hate it but in a few years there will be a 2DS appreciate thread, filled with thousands of comments of how great this device was! ;)

Eric C

Mono speaker?

I know Nintendo probably wanted to cut costs for this model, but they couldn't even put in stereo speakers?

Top Bottom