Fucking hell Nintendo, your naming conventions are getting annoying.
I was excited about the possibilities when I read the title...
...yeeeeah I'll stick with my 3DS thanks.
Will 3DS software boxart continue to have "3DS" on the side or some other kind of moniker? Is this digital-only?
Honestly, I think the clamshell is done. Nintendo see itself competing with tablets and slates. Whatever comes after the 3DS is going in that direction, rightly or wrongly. The 2DS is just the beginning.Why the fuck have they not made it a clamshell ?
edit: and a MONO SPEAKER ? WHAT.
Alright, fuck that shit.
This device makes a lot of sense:
- Tablet design to play into the booming tablet market, less intimidating for children/familes that are only used to tablets.
- Unessential features (3D, stereo sound) cut to drive production cost down, so it can be sold to children/families for cheap.
- Sell alongside Pokemon for mass casual appeal.
- No vulnerable hinges kids can easily damage.
- No second stick because that would be stupid. This is a budget 3DS, not an upgrade.
- No 3DS brand to avoid "why can't this [3DS Lite] not play 3D? I want my money back!" questions.
The only two things I can't wrap my head around are
- It's designed to cut production costs as much as possible, yet there's still a 3D camera in there?
- Pokemon is a system seller, it's gonna sell a shit ton of 3DSs anyway. If I was Nintendo, I wouldn't want to give them a cheap option.
If you are not a kid/don't have kids/already have a 3DS (XL) you are not supposed to be interested in this device. You are not the target audience.