• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo becomes Japan's 2nd most valuable company

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's difficult to feel much patriotism as an american -- america having become some noxious cocktail of obesity, ignorance, and military aggression

but when i compare the xbox 360 and halo 3 to the wii and whatever garbage nintendo is pushing these days -- i think i feel a certain stirring in my breast -- a stirring not wholly unpatriotic

plus i've been watching 'the war,' which hits patriotism buttons i didn't know i had

we'll beat back the nintendo menace yet -- halo 3 will be like the pivotal american victories at midway and guadalcanal, so powerfully depicted by burns and co.

off to attend midnight launch. i'm wearing red and blue. and there's this ugly white hoodie i've got half a mind to put on.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
drohne said:
it's difficult to feel much patriotism as an american -- america having become some noxious cocktail of obesity, ignorance, and military aggression

but when i compare the xbox 360 and halo 3 to the wii and whatever garbage nintendo is pushing these days -- i think i feel a certain stirring in my breast -- a stirring not wholly unpatriotic

plus i've been watching 'the war,' which hits patriotism buttons i didn't know i had

we'll beat back the nintendo menace yet -- halo 3 will be like the pivotal american victories at midway and guadalcanal, so powerfully depicted by burns and co.

off to attend midnight launch. i'm wearing red and blue. and there's this ugly white hoodie i've got half a mind to put on.

Project Midway eh. More like Project Red Rings amirite?

justchris

Okay, this is exciting news in a 'wow, nice accomplishment' kind of way, but once you started linking it to patriotism you lost me.

Can't we just give them a golf clap and move on?

Andy787

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, it's actual news, and I know I found it interesting. It's perfectly viable to not care about industry financials, but I can't imagine why you'd bother clicking into a thread about financials if that's the case, let alone posting in the thread. Unless you're just here to fling poo at eteric rice, in which case, you have my full support.
This is my goal, yes.

drohne said:
remember when japan was a world-class economic power and a center of technological innovation

now their second most valuable company is a producer of cut-rate hardware and software bearing some distant resemblance to video games

sad to see
I like drohne a good deal.

Deku said:
Interesting cyclicality to this all. During the late 80s, Nintendo and Toyota were also the top companies in Japan.
I wouldn't really call it a cycle if it's just now the second time this has happened. More of a coincidence.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
drohne said:

but when i compare the xbox 360 and halo 3 to the wii and whatever garbage nintendo is pushing these days -- i think i feel a certain stirring in my breast -- a stirring not wholly unpatriotic.

But America 2.0's Wii represents gaming for the common man, and that's the spirit America was (vaguely at one point) founded on!

Now I want to compare MS's hardware construction with the cheaply run exploitation factories... is it real meat or chemicals and sawdust? The buyer doesn't know! Bwahahaha...

Actually, I must admit I've vaguely lost my point, but I will say that you, Mr. Drohne, get vaguely annoying at times -- but enjoy the camp!

Andy787

Banned
bostonwiiparty.jpg

Pokeylongo said:
I wouldn't really call it a cycle if it's just now the second time this has happened. More of a coincidence.

I don't think it's much of a coincidence. If you take a close look, Nintendo and Toyota share similar business philosophies.

Deku said:
Interesting cyclicality to this all. During the late 80s, Nintendo and Toyota were also the top companies in Japan.
I remember Nintendo repeatedly being a contender for measures like "most profitable per employee", but that's quite a different measure.

Jokeropia

Haha, I didn't expect this many bitter tears in here. :lol (It's mostly drohne and Andy787 doing the crying, but man can they cry a lot. :D)

Keio

For a Finer World
kame-sennin said:
I don't think it's much of a coincidence. If you take a close look, Nintendo and Toyota share similar business philosophies.
Wii == Prius? Cool, female-friendly with great press?

Nice idea.

maxmars

drohne said:

Actually, here, Wii was launched Dec 7th. :D
I really found it amusing at the time, although I'm sure not many thought about the irony.

Cdammen

Now how about you make more quality GAMES for the Wii Nintendo? Like new hardcore oriented franchises. Or why not releasing some Japan only NDS games here in the west? And you know, you could always make Club Nintendo equally as good in any region. Also, why not offer Europeans the choice to play their VC titles in 60Hz?! Please me goddamnit!

kame-sennin said:
It's still more coincidental because those two markets have nothing to do with each other.

Interesting about their philosophies, though.

robertsan21 said:
:lol
at all the Wii haters who said noo way this will get big!
I told you guys after I first played wii at E3 2006 you wait and see wii will put the big N at place nr 1!

and now this Nintendo 2nd most valued company in japan! WOW

I :lol much more at all the Wii lovers who get more fun talking about nintendo figures than playing wii games.

Casuals, mothers and girlfriends = make money, fans = defend, spread and bore. Mission Accomplished.

psy18

Vaandaviii said:
I :lol much more at all the Wii lovers who get more fun talking about nintendo figures than playing wii games.

Nah, They're having fun in both playing games AND talking figures.

Avrum

Vaandaviii said:

Casuals, mothers and girlfriends = make money, fans = defend, spread and bore. Mission Accomplished.

Oh, you have the Wii owners that do have fun playing their games, it's just stuff like this is far more prominent due to the river of tears still flowing as asses have been kicked since day one and the deluge still pours true.

Are YOU tapped out yet?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Cdammen said:
Now how about you make more quality GAMES for the Wii Nintendo? Like new hardcore oriented franchises.

Because these don't make money? They're still investing in that area, but very conservatively obviously.

F#A#Oo

Banned
This news is good for us gamers...with all the money Nintendo is making their can afford to go that little bit extra with their next-generation of Nintendo products.

Also I don't know about anyone else but atleast Nintendo tried to do something different with each new console they bring out. Sony and MS are very happy just to re-bundle you the same controller each generation and selling you a more powerful console. No change and nothing new in the way of experience except...the games themselves being more realistic looking and expansive.

I mean if they can't even come up with a new controller scheme then how can people expect the likes of MS and Sony to take the industry forward on the philosophy of just adding more power...? I think it's exactly that line of philosphy that has allowed Nintendo to rise to where it is now...more power doesn't offer a better experience or make games more fun or enjoyable...

The more that videogames companies try to make interactive movies as opposed to games the more boring this sort of gaming is getting...and tbh I thank Nintendo for just concentrating on trying to make people play and look at gaming differently...also I might not like all the games Nintendo is making/devloping and pushing out...but I can see where they are with it and it validates videogames...

gconsole

drohne said:
remember when japan was a world-class economic power and a center of technological innovation

now their second most valuable company is a producer of cut-rate hardware and software bearing some distant resemblance to video games

sad to see

And japan still is. Let me know when there is another country that bigger than Japan in economic power besides US.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Dani said:
China says Hi.

US, EU and Japan still represent over 75% of the world economic powers...

One day China will be an economic power bigger then the US but it isn't yet...add in India too at some stage...

tnw

Banned
gconsole said:
And japan still is. Let me know when there is another country that bigger than Japan in economic power besides US.

enh, most of that is just momentum from the 80's. It's not going to last much longer.

What drohne said is pretty darn true. Uniqlo, 100 yen stores, Muji. All essentially cheap crap for the masses, and it's all post bubble japan.

Stele

Holds a little red book
Segata Sanshiro said:
And #1 is a car company. What's your point? While diversity is a good risk-reducer, you don't need it to be king of the hill. Microsoft's value pretty much sits on two products, for example.
A car company with probably over 200 billion in annual revenue. Nintendo does about 8-9 billion in net sales. It's probably not too hard to be a big company in Japan though. You look at the Global 2000 list -- most of the largest companies in this world are European and U.S. companies. Japan has only a handful in the top 100.
I haven't played Accountant Training, but I wouldn't think their stock price would really affect their money intake unless they started selling off more of the company.
Accountants aren't responsible for equity offerings. That's what investment bankers do. Accountants record things after they happen. Higher stock prices allows Nintendo to buy other companies easier by exchanging their stocks for shares of other companies as well as take in more money on equity offerings -- not that they really need to raise money cause they already sit on too much idle cash.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
F#A#Oo said:
This news is good for us gamers...with all the money Nintendo is making their can afford to go that little bit extra with their next-generation of Nintendo products.

:lol People said the same thing before. Nintendo didn't stop making money with Gamecube. They still had huge cash reserves.

This greater success will only encourage them to continue penny-pinching. I hope not, but I fear that will be the case.

Endgegner

JoshuaJSlone said:
I haven't played Accountant Training, but I wouldn't think their stock price would really affect their money intake unless they started selling off more of the company.

Yeah, I was going to bring up that as well. I don't really now a lot about the the stock market, but how exactly does Nintendo profit from being more valuable? They just can make money, if they sell some of their own stock, no? If I recall correctly, Nintendo was rebuying their shares lately.

I either don't know shit about the stock market or the people who are hoping for money to fund games are in for a disappointment.

Even if I don't know shit and this makes Nintendo actually money, I wouldn't get my hopes up

Neomoto

It's amazing that Nintendo is still rising so high in such a fast pace.

Funny how people here say things like "how about releasing some actual games!" and such. I don't know guys.. I see them releasing one of, if not their biggest holiday line-up in more than a fucking decade. It's incredible, so many new installments of their biggest franchises all coming in such a relatively short period of time. How can you possible expect more from a first party output standpoint? Seriously, and we don't have much information on 2008 line-up but we don't know that too for DS. That doesn't mean that they won't release good stuff.. both platforms are market leaders.

F#A#Oo

Banned
gofreak said:
This greater success will only encourage them to continue penny-pinching. I hope not, but I fear that will be the case.

WTH...The Wii is Nintendo first console that they intentionally under-powered and that doesn't make them penny-pinching.

I think they just realised that power is not everything and that being the most powerful console doesn't translate well into leadership according to history. Weakest hardware has tended to win over in the end. Strange and bizzare trend as it is. Same formula can be applied to the handheld space...Nintendo has dominated even when other have come in with far better hardware.

I'm glad Nintendo stayed within the usual price range for a console even though I think Nintendo added $50 more to the price once Sony announced their price-bases...

Endgegner

Neomoto said:
It's amazing that Nintendo is still rising so high in such a fast pace.

Funny how people here say things like "how about releasing some actual games!" and such. I don't know guys.. I see them releasing one of, if not their biggest holiday line-up in more than a fucking decade. It's incredible, so many new installments of their biggest franchises all coming in such a relatively short period of time. How can you possible expect more from a first party output standpoint? Seriously, and we don't have much information on 2008 line-up but we don't know that too for DS. That doesn't mean that they won't release good stuff.. both platforms are market leaders.

It's amazing that the "hardest of the hardcore" actually believe more in Nintendo pr than they look on the actual release lists.

Nolan.

gofreak said:
:lol People said the same thing before. Nintendo didn't stop making money with Gamecube. They still had huge cash reserves.

It's great to dream though.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
F#A#Oo said:
I'm glad Nintendo stayed within the usual price range for a console even though I think Nintendo added $50 more to the price once Sony announced their price-bases...

One probably tires of hearing the same old complaint, but it really REALLY can't be stressed how much of a free pass to market domination Sony handed the competitors with that price, not only in narrowing their own market but in giving the others room to breathe. I really do think Nintendo intentionally held back on their price announcement when they heard the PS3 price, so they could work out on making a relatively insane profit on it while still being a fraction of the cost of its biggest rival.

Top Bottom