• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo becomes Japan's 2nd most valuable company

Datschge

Endgegner said:
how exactly does Nintendo profit from being more valuable?
It makes Yamauchi even more rich on paper. Maybe he'll repeat what he did a couple years ago, sell and re-buy some stock and set up a "Q Fund" with the surplus again.

Nolan.

SovanJedi said:
One probably tires of hearing the same old complaint, but it really REALLY can't be stressed how much of a free pass to market domination Sony handed the competitors with that price, not only in narrowing their own market but in giving the others room to breathe. I really do think Nintendo intentionally held back on their price announcement when they heard the PS3 price, so they could work out on making a relatively insane profit on it while still being a fraction of the cost of its biggest rival.

Well I hope they keep that 199 idea. Also when you buy the hardware here the wii's games are just as expensive as games on the other two platform. So is the price just focused on the hardware aspect or did EU get the short stick.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Talk about overvalued.

Fuckin' A, it's a game company.

... so what else are they going to diversify into?
Why should they want to diversify? For one, they're #2 with the Wii and DS and it's typically that very move that kills most companies. Nintendo is doing great with their current line of products.

Frillen

Andy & Dhrone:

cry-baby-girl-face.jpg

drohne and Andy manage to be even more tired than the Nfans that put their poo in other topics on the forum.

It's not so bizarre to be interested in the industry as a whole when you're into the games. Ever seen a box office thread? Fuck dudes.

Vaandaviii said:
I :lol much more at all the Wii lovers who get more fun talking about nintendo figures than playing wii games.

Casuals, mothers and girlfriends = make money, fans = defend, spread and bore. Mission Accomplished.

Oh ho!

Thought this was pretty damn impressive for a game company, but then I saw... number 2 use to be Canon? eh?

Both Nintendo Canon are greater than something like Honda? Or is Honda not officially a "Japanese" company?

Btw, Nintendo get off your asses with your new success and do something cool with it instead of boasting about it.

karasu

How are they the most valuable? What does this mean? The Wii is selling amazing well, but at the same time there haven't been THAT many Wii's sold. I mean it's not past the ps2 or anything.

karasu said:
How are they the most valuable? What does this mean? The Wii is selling amazing well, but at the same time there haven't been THAT many Wii's sold. I mean it's not past the ps2 or anything.

Umm, Wiis, DSes, assloads of games... most likely ridiculously high profit margins on hardware.

DemDereNads said:
Thought this was pretty damn impressive for a game company, but then I saw... number 2 use to be Canon? eh?

Both Nintendo Canon are greater than something like Honda? Or is Honda not officially a "Japanese" company?

Btw, Nintendo get off your asses with your new success and do something cool with it instead of boasting about it.

Of course Honda is Japanese, and it's in the top 10.

Sometimes companies you don't pay attention to perform well.

karasu said:

Market cap I assume.

ethelred

karasu said:

It's explained pretty well here.

Stele

Holds a little red book
DemDereNads said:
Honda probably has more real assets than Nintendo and Canon combined, but the "value" being measured here is market capitalization, which fluctuates on a everyday basis with the stock price. Just like during the dotcom boom when Cisco was valued at over $500 billion (the largest company in the world in market cap at that time), Nintendo is a flavor of the week stock that gets pushed up a lot with hysteria. Once that dies down, share prices will fall a lot. And when that happens, it will have nothing to do with whether Nintendo is profitable or not (almost all publicly traded companies are profitable, so that's a non-issue), it will have to do with Nintendo unable to continue meeting higher and higher net income expectations from Wall Street analysts.

Evlar

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WHAAAAAAAT ?????????'

O_O Incredible. And the first one is Toyota. What ? Better then Mitsubishi ????
All the little pieces of Mitsubishi are accounted separately I think, and some of them are privately held. Even all together I don't know if they would top Toyota, the world's most profitable (and very near to largest) car company. GM was the largest US company for decades so it isn't odd to see a car company on top.

Stele said:
Honda probably has more real assets than Nintendo and Canon combined, but the "value" being measured here is market capitalization, which fluctuates on a everyday basis with the stock price. Just like during the dotcom boom when Cisco was valued at over $500 billion (the largest company in the world in market cap at that time), Nintendo is a flavor of the week stock that gets pushed up a lot with hysteria. Once that dies down, share prices will fall a lot. And when that happens, it will have nothing to do with whether Nintendo is profitable or not (almost all publicly traded companies are profitable, so that's a non-issue), it will have to do with Nintendo unable to continue meeting higher and higher net income expectations from Wall Street analysts.

Ahh okay, guess I should have read the actual post better. Thought they were talking actual value like cash plus assets, etc.

Culex

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
Talk about overvalued.

Fuckin' A, it's a game company.

... so what else are they going to diversify into?

It's been said so many damn times, but Nintendo does own the Seattle Mariners, one of only a handful of profitible teams in the AL.

They have quite a few investements in other areas.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
I think you give too little credit to their first 115 years.
DS changed everything, rise to heaven and all that.

drohne said:
remember when japan was a world-class economic power and a center of technological innovation

now their second most valuable company is a producer of cut-rate hardware and software bearing some distant resemblance to video games

sad to see
Well executed :lol

You are quickly approaching Drinky Crow at the pinnacle of his game. hands down the best active trolling on neo-gaf. :D

Stele

Holds a little red book
Great Rumbler said:
Does anyone know where I can find the chart that shows profits for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony over the past six years?
103rd issue of Nintendo Power has a chart.

Google. Yahoo Finance

Neomoto said:
It's amazing that Nintendo is still rising so high in such a fast pace.

Funny how people here say things like "how about releasing some actual games!" and such. I don't know guys.. I see them releasing one of, if not their biggest holiday line-up in more than a fucking decade. It's incredible, so many new installments of their biggest franchises all coming in such a relatively short period of time. How can you possible expect more from a first party output standpoint? Seriously, and we don't have much information on 2008 line-up but we don't know that too for DS. That doesn't mean that they won't release good stuff.. both platforms are market leaders.

Who could have imagined that 3 years ago ? What is incredible, is how fast Nintendo came on top once again.

Shares in Nintendo were up 2.6 percent at 58,900 yen in afternoon trade on Tuesday, bringing its market value to 8.34 trillion yen ($72.6 billion), surpassing Canon's market capitalisation of 8.20 trillion yen.

O_O

drohne said:
it's difficult to feel much patriotism as an american -- america having become some noxious cocktail of obesity, ignorance, and military aggression

but when i compare the xbox 360 and halo 3 to the wii and whatever garbage nintendo is pushing these days -- i think i feel a certain stirring in my breast -- a stirring not wholly unpatriotic

plus i've been watching 'the war,' which hits patriotism buttons i didn't know i had

we'll beat back the nintendo menace yet -- halo 3 will be like the pivotal american victories at midway and guadalcanal, so powerfully depicted by burns and co.

off to attend midnight launch. i'm wearing red and blue. and there's this ugly white hoodie i've got half a mind to put on.
Oh COME on :lol :lol

Can't we just all share in the success?
so long as Sony dies amirite

Threi

notag
drohne said:
it's difficult to feel much patriotism as an american -- america having become some noxious cocktail of obesity, ignorance, and military aggression

but when i compare the xbox 360 and halo 3 to the wii and whatever garbage nintendo is pushing these days -- i think i feel a certain stirring in my breast -- a stirring not wholly unpatriotic

plus i've been watching 'the war,' which hits patriotism buttons i didn't know i had

we'll beat back the nintendo menace yet -- halo 3 will be like the pivotal american victories at midway and guadalcanal, so powerfully depicted by burns and co.

off to attend midnight launch. i'm wearing red and blue. and there's this ugly white hoodie i've got half a mind to put on.

I feel nerdy just reading this.

Very nice. I still root for Nintendo - it was the company which introduced me to console-gaming, after all ( my first console being a Super Nintendo ). Wii is a very sexy machine, and I can't wait to get my hands on Metroid Prime 3 ( which will be released next month here in Europe - boo for the delay, though! ).

Oh, and Wii Fit? I am actually excited! I excersize quite a bit, and if I could do it from the comforts of my own home... Ah, it would be heavenly! <3

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
This doesn't account for third party releases, but Nintendo is publishing more games for Wii than they were for GCN, even if you exclude the ones that most frequently get shit for being nongames, kiddy games, or minigame fests.

That defense only holds water if people didn't also say that Nintendo needed to make more games for the stillborn GameCube. But... they did! And it's just as true now as it was then: the company needs to be delivering more games.

ethelred said:
That defense only holds water if people didn't also say that Nintendo needed to make more games for the stillborn GameCube. But... they did! And it's just as true now as it was then: the company needs to be delivering more games.
True. It's more a defense to "Nintendo has shifted focus to nongames." and is somewhat misused against "Nintendo should make more games."

CTLance

ethelred said:

The way Nintendo operates now leaves enough space and genres for third party devs. If they managed to churn out too many great or even good titles in quick succession in all genres third party devs would publicly commit suicide in front of Nintendos HQ.

So they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. At least that's the way I see it.

Me? I'd like them to stay the way they are, but actively sponsor third-party devs.

Hold public contests where you get to turn in your game idea, the winner gets a free SDK and a starting credit and access to a developer network or something. They need to encourage 3rd parties to develop for their platforms. Give the SDKs away for free for universities, of course restricted to academic, non-commercial use. Release a severely stripped-down SDK for WiiWares to the general public and a PC emulator to testdrive it. Hold contests/votes and sell the winners game for a limited time in the Wii shop. Award a Nintendo prize of excellence at the end of the year, for the 3rd party game with the best reviews or something. Ok, that last one sounds stupid, but I hope I could get my idea across nonetheless.
Disclaimer: This will never happen. It'd cost money whout immediate or even likely return -> Nintendo wouldn't do it.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
True. It's more a defense to "Nintendo has shifted focus to nongames." and is somewhat misused against "Nintendo should make more games."

Until Nintendo presents a more compelling 2008 lineup beyond Wii Fit, Mario Kart, nothing at all for the DS, and the canceled Project Hammer, that criticism, too, seems perfectly valid.

If gamers are to be expected to far and wide agree that Nintendo is continuing to make game development a priority, then Nintendo can, by all means, try being a little bit more forthcoming than Pravda.

CTLance said:
So they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. At least that's the way I see it.

Nope. They're just damned if there's an exceedingly sparse library of games across a small number of genres and if there's almost nothing to look forward to in the future because the company refuses to try to actively retain the interest of the gamers who've already given them support or are unsure of whether or not that would be a prudent course of action.

If Nintendo is more valuable than Sony, then they must be waaaaay more valuable than SCEI which is just one part of Sony. Presumably Nintendo also dwarfs the xbox division of MS in terms of resources. I mean MS doesn't make all of its cash available to the xbox division by any means, and by all accounts that division is under pressure to stop asking for cash from MS. It's weird to think about that because I tend to see Nintendo as this plucky underdog going up against the big boys.

ethelred said:
Until Nintendo presents a more compelling 2008 lineup beyond Wii Fit, Mario Kart, nothing at all for the DS, and the canceled Project Hammer, that criticism, too, seems perfectly valid.

If gamers are to be expected to far and wide agree that Nintendo is continuing to make game development a priority, then Nintendo can, by all means, try being a little bit more forthcoming than Pravda.
An unknown future is not a counterpoint to past and present.
Pope Benedict XVI said:
If Nintendo is more valuable than Sony, then they must be waaaaay more valuable than SCEI which is just one part of Sony. Presumably Nintendo also dwarfs the xbox division of MS in terms of resources. I mean MS doesn't make all of its cash available to the xbox division by any means, and by all accounts that division is under pressure to stop asking for cash from MS. It's weird to think about that because I tend to see Nintendo as this plucky underdog going up against the big boys.
The worth of their stock has little to do with the human and monetary resources they employ relative to Sony and MS.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
An unknown future is not a counterpoint to past and present.

Yes, actually, it is. You want to refute the criticism that Nintendo is shifting away from game development? That's an active process -- the only way to make such a refutation is to point to solid, consistent, ongoing support for gamer-oriented software. That can't be done because Nintendo steadfastly refuses to present such a lineup.

Without evidence one way or the other, people can think whatever they like. Hearts and minds aren't won through stoic silence and braggartly self-congratulation.

ethelred said:
Yes, actually, it is. You want to refute the criticism that Nintendo is shifting away from game development? That's an active process -- the only way to make such a refutation is to point to solid, consistent, ongoing support for gamer-oriented software. That can't be done because Nintendo steadfastly refuses to present such a lineup.

Without evidence one way or the other, people can think whatever they like.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the actual lineups, but I've heard people throwing the exact same accusation of a seemingly empty 2008 at Microsoft - and the reason Sony doesn't get accused of the same thing is because all their big 2008 games were announced who knows how long ago like MGS4 and FFXIII.

ethelred

Pureauthor said:
I haven't been paying too much attention to the actual lineups, but I've heard people throwing the exact same accusation of a seemingly empty 2008 at Microsoft - and the reason Sony doesn't get accused of the same thing is because all their big 2008 games were announced who knows how long ago like MGS4 and FFXIII.

Microsoft has tons of noteworthy gamer-oriented published games slated for 2008 and beyond -- Halo Wars, Banjo 3, Alan Wake, Lost Odyssey, Kingdom Under Fire, Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human (ahaha), Fable 2... they've hinted heavily at Gears of War 2 and Bioware's confirmed that they're going to have (the Microsoft-published) Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 on the 360. Microsoft was set to publish Infinite Undiscovery up until a week ago, and they're still likely funding it heavily. And Microsoft has confirmed that they've got both Marvel Universe Online and more Mistwalker projects, such as Sakaguchi's planned MMO, in the works.

If that's empty, then wow, I'd quiver at the idea of a full lineup.

Top Bottom