• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo CEO Kimishima says Direct is alive, with at least one coming this year

Shiggy

Some of the best Nintendo games have come at end of a console's lifetime.

And some of the worst (Skyward Sword *cough*). But seriously, from a financial perspective it makes no sense to put any resources into further WII U games. With the lineup in the second half of this year and also the one we know about for next year, it looks like Nintendo thinks in the same way. Mostly cheap cash-ins and low budget releases.

And some of the worst (Skyward Sword *cough*). But seriously, from a financial perspective it makes no sense to put any resources into further WII U games. With the lineup in the second half of this year and also the one we know about for next year, it looks like Nintendo thinks in the same way. Mostly cheap cash-ins and low budget releases.

Well considering the NX isn't coming 'til 2017 they've got to have something.

It made no sense for them to put resources into Bayonetta 2 or The Wonderful 101 but sometimes filling out libraries can outweigh dollar signs.

georly

Things I need nintendo to announce/reveal:

TP HD
Picross 3D 2 for the west
Rhythm Heaven the best for the west

That is all.

I hope Reggie doesn't do the Americas Direct. Him coming out with his boring PR, expressionless face, and awkward eye movements as he noticeably reads off a teleprompter is not my bag, baby.

Bill's a big dork, but he's a lovable dork.

yeah, Bill Trinnen should take over this videos , Reggie should stay in the office.

It's alive!!

nintendo-back-from-the-grave-iwata-coffin-shocked-13884007960.gif

I hope you dont get banned , I got banned 1 month for posting this gif.

Shiggy

Well considering the NX isn't coming 'til 2017 they've got to have something.

How do you know that?

It made no sense for them to put resources into Bayonetta 2 or The Wonderful 101 but sometimes filling out libraries can outweigh dollar signs.

That's not true. Publishers only invest money into projects they believe turn out to be profitable. It's a fanboy dream that they fund projects just for making their lineup look nice, without any financial consideration.

Why did Nintendo fund Bayonetta 2 and W101? It's pretty obvious. Lack of market research and bad planning. Suggestions that Iwata and his team were living in a bubble weren't far-fetched. You also remember how they thought to have a big hit with Wii Fit U and Brain Training 3DS?

If there's one thing that should have become extremely clear over the past year, then it's that Nintendo finally realized how insular they have been. The switch to a shared platform such as NX, consolidated software production, and mobile gaming were changes that were long overdue.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Here, have some Tatsumi GIFs instead:

tatsuuksnf.gif

tatsu7uwuh6.gif

tatsu67fujs.gif

tatsu55yuds.gif

tatsu4nbup5.gif

tatsu3saues.gif

Feel free to caption.

Revven

That doesbt make any sense...its not that they started the development of the system just last year.

Exactly. Like every console manufacturer they started work on this once the Wii U was launched (or even slightly before). Work meaning probably started with R&D and then got past a conceptual phase pretty quickly. It would not be impossible for this to come out in 2016.

Bakkus

"at least one" That means that a new direct have to come within just a few weeks, because there won't be any room whatsoever for more than one if it comes in the later half of November.

Anth0ny

Well, it's a Wii U game so of course :)

they aren't going to announce big, new wii u projects

everyone has moved on to NX behind the scenes. all that's left is to release previously announced stuff and maybe a couple of low budget projects that haven't been announced yet (twilight princess HD, maybe a mario spinoff, maybe a kirby platformer).

retro has certainly moved on to NX
to make donkey kong
. zelda team is working on the NX version of zelda wii u. ead tokyo is working on mario universe for NX.

gotta be ready for that november 2016 NX launch, friends.

Dremark

Banned
No. That gif is hilarious.

Anyway, its hardly poor taste to show Iwata's spirit and legacy returning to us via a Direct.

Honestly it differs from person to person. Honestly it seems a bit in poor taste to me, but I know the spirit it's intended in so I can't really find it offensive.

Honestly I think we all understand so hopefully everyone keeps that in mind and we all stay on the same page here.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Retro's game wouldn't be a new project, it'd be a project a few years in the making.
I've suggested a few times they are working on Eternal Darkness. I'm quite certain Nintendo at least has some plans for that franchise anyway.

Shiggy

People have been saying that ad nauseum and we still got games like Splatoon.

And we're also getting Zelda(I laugh at those that think it's been cancelled).

The Wii U is wrapping up for sure.

And what else is coming 2016? A low budget Star Fox game. A strange and cheap looking Fire Emblem spinoff. Another Mario & Sonic game which will surely be as "good" as the other games in that series. Sure, the Wii U is not dead.

Dremark

Banned
People have been saying that ad nauseum and we still got games like Splatoon.

And we're also getting Zelda(I laugh at those that think it's been cancelled).

The Wii U is wrapping up for sure.

The WiiU is definitely winding down, but were still getting good games on it. I'm happy with what's on there right now but I'm hoping we get some more before Ninty moves on to the next platform.

Rösti;183262163 said:
I've suggested a few times they are working on Eternal Darkness. I'm quite certain Nintendo at least has some plans for that franchise anyway.

I don't see it happening but that'd be exciting and interesting.

And what else is coming 2016? A low budget Star Fox game. A strange and cheap looking Fire Emblem spinoff. Another Mario & Sonic game which will surely be as "good" as the other games in that series. Sure, the Wii U is not dead.

People said the Wii U was dead even before Splatoon dropped.

That means nothing because if it was the case, the Game of the Year wouldn't have been released.

TheJoRu

Rösti;183261548 said:
Feel free to caption.

Interview with Kimishima:

So you announced a new Mario Maker-update recently. I think a lot of our readers were happy to see some of the additions, especially checkpoints.

tatsu55yuds.gif

Now a lot of people are wondering; what about slopes?

tatsu7uwuh6.gif

I'm in the camp that Retro's next game is for the Wii U and most likely uses recycled assets. In other words, a sequel to Tropical Freeze. Donkey Kong Country 3 came out after the launch of the Nintendo 64, so there's some historical precedence there.

Red Hood

Banned
I hope you dont get banned , I got banned 1 month for posting this gif.

That's ridiculous. Does that mean we can't post Heath Ledger's Joker any more as well? You should report the mod in question, because I'm fairly certain no rules are broken if someone posts that GIF.

Brofield

Rösti;183261548 said:
Here, have some Tatsumi GIFs instead:

tatsu3saues.gif

Feel free to caption.

I would sooner take the Iwata rising from a coffin GIF over unlikely memes from Kimishima. I sincerely hope his demeanor is more cheerful in front of a camera than what I get off these little clips, even if sped up to hilarious speeds.

Vive la Coffin, Iwata's smile shall brighten our days forever more from beyond.

casiopao

A strange and cheap looking Fire Emblem spinoff.

Hey, i agree with u on Wii U is going to slow down a lot on 2016 to allow NX to come here. But cheap? Console Jrpg have been one hell of a rare thing here and from what we see, Genei is surely had quite a big budget there.

Anth0ny

I'm in the camp that Retro's next game is for the Wii U and most likely uses recycled assets. In other words, a sequel to Tropical Freeze. Donkey Kong Country 3 came out after the launch of the Nintendo 64, so there's some historical precedence there.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

snes wasn't dead as dogshit when n64 launched

wii u is

ZombAid82

Why did Nintendo fund Bayonetta 2 and W101? It's pretty obvious. Lack of market research and bad planning. Suggestions that Iwata and his team were living in a bubble weren't far-fetched. You also remember how they thought to have a big hit with Wii Fit U and Brain Training 3DS?

Do you really think Nintendo is so stupid, that they would pay a large amount of Money to someone without knowing they are never gonna make it back?
It's to make a wider portfolio for they're console to make it more attractive for the People, nothing more, nothing less.

But Nintendo knew, that both games wouldn't sell much. No Platinumk Game did that before, and cerainly not on a Nintedno console.
Nintendo is often clueless, but not when it comes to money juggling.

That doesbt make any sense...its not that they started the development of the system just last year.

No but new dedicated game platforms take a lot of time and money to not only develop but market properly. The PS4/Xbone were more exceptions to the rule (though I would argue both their launches were rushed) because they were pretty straightforward game boxes. Nintendo has already they're not going for that with the NX and it's "unique concept". They have some pretty big changes coming up in the long term and let's face it, they need the time to get their shit together. What's most important is getting people to get what they're going for with this thing. They don't have the advantage of launching a new console ahead of next gen systems anymore. There's no point in fast tracking a launch like they did with the Wii U.

What bugs me the most is if the NX was coming out in 2016 it could've been in a presentable state by E3. Nintendo's E3 was pretty bare bones as far as new announcements go and it could've been the perfect time to steal the show and present a new console. But they didn't. So it makes me think that if wasn't ready for this E3 and ready to go for a launch 12-18 months from now like all their other console announcements that it will be revealed in 2016 like Nintendo said and ready to go 12-18 months from then for a 2017 launch. Is there a chance that the NX could release next year? Yeah, but as of right now I'm not seeing it outside of the Wii U dying (which hasn't stopped Nintendo before when it comes releasing new consoles).

TI82

Banned
I would sooner take the Iwata rising from a coffin GIF over unlikely memes from Kimishima. I sincerely hope his demeanor is more cheerful in front of a camera than what I get off these little clips, even if sped up to hilarious speeds.

Vive la Coffin, Iwata's smile shall brighten our days forever more from beyond.

I really don't care, as long as he can turn the business around.

Shiggy

Do you really think Nintendo is so stupid, that they would pay a large amount of Money to someone without knowing they are never gonna make it back?
It's to make a wider portfolio for they're console to make it more attractive for the People, nothing more, nothing less.

But Nintendo knew, that both games wouldn't sell much. No Platinumk Game did that before, and cerainly not on a Nintedno console.
Nintendo is often clueless, but not when it comes to money juggling.

I'm sure you have no background in business. The objective of broadening the portfolio is to make more people buy the platform. This is not achieved by creating games that nobody wants. So your argument lacks basic logic.

And when it comes to juggling money, Nintendo had been extremely clueless from 2010-2014. Just look at their drop-off in sales and profits.

Hey, i agree with u on Wii U is going to slow down a lot on 2016 to allow NX to come here. But cheap? Console Jrpg have been one hell of a rare thing here and from what we see, Genei is surely had quite a big budget there.

Perhaps for an Atlas game it does. In general, the game still looks extremely low budget, especially for a Wii U game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Rösti user of the year. Congrats.

Btw: the next Direct:

TP HD Wii U reveal:
tatsu55yuds.gif

Zelda U demo to be included in TP HD Wii U:
tatsu7uwuh6.gif

Zelda U Wii U exclusive, no "NX" delay à la TP:
tatsu3saues.gif

Top Bottom