• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo CEO talks Switch sales, sales outlook, and user age/gender demographics

Jodast

Not really surprised about the age breakdown. It'd be pretty likely that most early adopters of the Switch would be long time Nintendo fans and entering early to mid thirties by now.

I would guess if you ran this survey again in a month or so aimed at the household users, the numbers would probably be more even given the first major family friendly title just released.

Platy

That gender distribution :/ rip

That gender is not badly made ... the actual question was THE GENDER OF WHO WANTED THE SWITCH MORE IN YOUR HOUSE, not "what are the genders of the people playing"

Considering that the second question was how many people play and the MAJORITY was more than one than the gender difference is AT LEAST wrong

ldar247

Banned
69% are 19-34 years old and 90% male. Excellent news because it seems to line up with the AAA demographic. Maybe western publishers will start looking at bringing their games to the Switch if this keeps up? Did they release statistics like this for 3DS or Wii U?

This isn't true at all. "These are the results of an Internet survey that was given to consumers in the U.S. market who had linked a Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system after launch." Seems to me that respondents are more likely to be the actual primary users of the console.

Ah, fair point, apologies. Still, the general point remains; it's not the clearest indication of who may or may not be using the system overall, as it doesn't really address joint ownership/usage. So 90% of primary users are male by the data, but that's not 90% of all users.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anecdotally, having shown off the system to many people, the system is initially appealing to those who played Zelda in their youths, which are likely to be young adult males. Zelda is the system seller at the moment, and I expect the gender disparity will even out once a variety of software launches for the system.

NewGame

Banned
The hardcore, dedicated wait outside a brick and mortar store peeing inside plastic bottles levels of dedication is exclusive to the Y chromosome.

Take that women! You'll never be as GAMER as us and I have the bar graphs to prove it.

Wait for Animal Crossing + Pokemon + Nintendo Dogs HD

Gaardus

I'm a little surprised at the split, given how enthusiastically Kass and Sidon were received.

selection bias in my social media

Disappointed abut the gender ratio, but one month of sales isn't going to tell us anything about the long term. Nintendo has done more than other manufacturers in the last few years (particularly with DS and 3DS marketing) to market to female gamers, so I have confidence the ratio will hopefully even out.

Platy

Women don't give two shits about the Switch?

It can be just that single people don't give two shits about the switch

Like 72% of the people with the switch has a household with 2 or more people.

In the those households + single people that live alone = the people in the house who most wanted the switch was a guy 90% of the time.

This does not mean that women didn't wanted the switch.

Hell, it is completly possible that of the people with 3 or 4 people playing in the household there are more women than men.

Women could just be "dude the joycons are giving problem, wait for a new batch and/or we need more games confirmed before we buy" like lots of people on gaf and the guys were like "new console at launch ! what could go wrong" which is the classic idea that we have better memory than men =P

jwhit28

I don't know why people here are surprised by the gender disparity. Console gaming is still predominantly a male interest by some margin. It's only when you factor in mobile that you get large numbers of female gamers.

The figures also match up to the eStore demographic survey Nintendo did a few years ago. The split then was 93% male / 7% female.

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/...sers-males-account-for-93-and-females-only-7/

I don't think the disparity comes down to interest. It's probably about who is more likely to wait outside a store before opening right now.

Mory Dunz

gender would be the hot topic of course, but I was surprised at this

20170428_023934_thumb.jpg

Seems like a lot of people are buying it for their families. Did not expect that off the bat and before Christmas,

Regarding the gender thing well if a dad buys it for a family of three-four, there's probably a woman or girl in there you would think.
It's just based off an email survey right

Platy

Regarding the gender thing well if a dad buys it for a family of three-four, there's probably a woman or girl in there you would think.
It's just based off an email survey right

And if there is a girl the chance of also having a woman is pretty big.

Saddly the question don't ask the sexual orientation to know how many gay dads are buying and playing with the daughters

The figures also match up to the eStore demographic survey Nintendo did a few years ago. The split then was 93% male / 7% female, with very similar age usage.

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/...sers-males-account-for-93-and-females-only-7/

THIS is a better measure, but then again, we know how much people LOVED to be digital only on nintendo platforms in 2014

Seems to me, that the survey says more about males being more responsive to internet surveys than women...

In my social circle the figure is more like 60/40. Most gamer women there already got one, the rest are waiting for more games.

Oresama

More than 70% of Switches age group was over 16yo, so I hope they introduce a steady stream of mature titles.

Payday 2 and Skyrim is a good start, but one of the biggest turn offs for me over the years, (and for alot of my friends whom got older) was Nintendo's focus on general audience, family friendly games.

Edit: by mature, I'm not referring to M-rated content.

Nictel

From an Nintendo email survey sent to consumers who linked a Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system. Email recipients: about 800,000 / Response Rate: about 3.5% (as of April 17)
Question: What is the age and gender of the person in your household who had the strongest desire to purchase Nintendo Switch?

1: That response rate is terrible but I guess people were to busy playing Zelda
2: Considering how the question is formulated the 90/10 gender ratio isn't that surprising. As I believe women are more outward looking and men more inward. So women will be more likely to fill in their significant other and men more likely themselves. This is of course generalization but I do think there is some truth to it.

Are people that surprised that a severely supply constrained video game system in its launch month is overwhelmingly male? Age and gender will even out over time. It's clear that it is video game enthusiasts buying the system at launch. Not too mention the only major title is Zelda. I'd also argue that given over 70% of users share the Switch with another person that those answers are a little deceiving. As they do not fully represent the audience and what games may appeal to the Switch base.

redcrayon

Interesting as a snapshot of who early adopters are rather than who the audience will likely even out as over the next five years. Young men are far more likely to drop hundreds of pounds on a new computer game system at launch for their personal use because of a couple of games, and by having to be the purchaser and link a Nintendo account, that would favour adults too.

Melchiah

Are people that surprised that a severely supply constrained video game system in its launch month is overwhelmingly male? Age and gender will even out over time. It's clear that it is video game enthusiasts buying the system at launch. Not too mention the only major title is Zelda. I'd also argue that given over 70% of users share the Switch with another person that those answers are a little deceiving. As they do not fully represent the audience and what games may appeal to the Switch base.

Yet the Switch demographic goes in line with that of Wii U, like I posted above.

kirby_fox

Banned
3.5% reporting? That's not great numbers.

Could really skew some of this. Though I personally fit into both majority age groups...so what do I know?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Since women generally are invested in the mobile sector I doubt they'd be the core audience for a handheld-home-console-hybrid. Why have console quality graphics when they're more interested in gameplay? This is a console for boys.

Not surprising that a large chunk of owners in the Usare 25-34. Most of them probably grew up with Nintendo stuff. Take heed, Nintendo - make sure you cater to the crowd that keeps buying system after system.

Fredrik

How do they track the age and gender of the customers? Are they tracking it by the first one who created an account?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
That gender distribution :/ rip

Completely expected.

It'll even itself out later but so far, the buzz for the Switch is primarily among those who "have to" have the latest hardware so Millennial Men, frankly.
Not surprising that a large chunk of owners in the Usare 25-34. Most of them probably grew up with Nintendo stuff. Take heed, Nintendo - make sure you cater to the crowd that keeps buying system after system.

Er, no, unless if you don't count the DS, Wii, 3DS demographics as valid. This "crowd" has only a limited amount and Nintendo have always been good at broadening their audience, and will do for Switch as well. When they go for just the hardcore, like the N64, and to an extent the GC they sell well to begin with then crater. The Wii U was just awful in terms of messaging so appealed to nearly nobody.

I guess Northern Europe doesn't qualify as a region because you can find Switch consoles in every single store. I guess this is a region Nintendo doesn't really care about, because there's no advertising at all and the store self displays are almost nonexistent.

Franziska

Since women generally are invested in the mobile sector I doubt they'd be the core audience for a handheld-home-console-hybrid. Why have console quality graphics when they're more interested in gameplay? This is a console for boys.

I don't think that this argument holds. Having console quality graphics won't repel women, and you can have good graphics and good gameplay simultaneously.

If we take your premise to be true, having good gameplay will attract women's interest. BoTW exists and thus should attract them.

Yoda

Switch design and color contribute to gender distribution I think.

Not really, it's well crafted piece of tech, with the amount of aesthetic design (I'm aware of the scratching issues, hence aesthetic) that a company like Apple would give to its products. Early adopters = "hardcore" gamers, it's not terribly surprising that this skews male. I bet after a year that ratio will be closer to 7:3

MoonFrog

It can be just that single people don't give two shits about the switch

Like 72% of the people with the switch has a household with 2 or more people.

In the those households + single people that live alone = the people in the house who most wanted the switch was a guy 90% of the time.

This does not mean that women didn't wanted the switch.

Hell, it is completly possible that of the people with 3 or 4 people playing in the household there are more women than men.

Women could just be "dude the joycons are giving problem, wait for a new batch and/or we need more games confirmed before we buy" like lots of people on gaf and the guys were like "new console at launch ! what could go wrong" which is the classic idea that we have better memory than men =P
Think it's more likely that yes, hardcore console gamers who buy consoles at launch are more likely to be male than general console gamers. Although I do agree that just because the main Switch consumer in households tends to be male, that doesn't mean that there aren't female Switch gamers in the house. So the statistic is a bit awkward.

Don't think that's a "memory" thing. Think it is a "guys are more likely to be extra enthusiastic about the newest and hottest games and consoles" thing, which, well, you could chalk up to gender expectations alongside interests imo. I bet it is much more natural for a man to see himself as the sort to be a launch console consumer than a woman.

Also Nintendo didn't really lead with the titles that drive women to its systems. We'll see what happens when the wider audience games start hitting the system, when the system is more available, etc. I bet Nintendo will do better with women than the console competition (percentage-wise, not total consumer-wise, perhaps, pending Switch sales).

Still 90-10 looks ridiculous and honestly not what I'd expect. Wouldn't have been surprised with like 75-25 probably though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
E-mail surveys are. It the best, but this image shatters the kiddie women inclusive Nintendo image (or how to lie with statistics could take this image as ;)):
20170428_023908_thumb.jpg

Vast majority of consumers in the 19+ and especially 25+ demographic, but that is to be expected at launch with a much pricier handheld than usual.

TLZ

Banned
That male to female ratio.

Didn't expect it.

Edit: well OK after reading some posts I guess makes sense. So far we have the hardcore (and scalpers) buying these first. Will see how it looks like down the line.

Toki767

I'm curious if the gender ratio is more indicative of females not being the type to want to really make an effort to find the thing on shelves.

I'm guessing once supply meets demand (and stuff like Animal Crossing comes out) it'll even out much more.

gtj1092

^THIS

The people who are going to such great lengths to get a scarce Switch are majority male. With Nintendo's pretty universal appeal, the gender imbalance will be more female dominated once you can walk into a store and pick it up.

That didn't stop women from staking out stores for Wii.

Survey just shows switch is tapping the Zelda fan demo. This will change with Mario Kart.

Top Bottom