• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Controller cable length is outrageous.

Why the hell would they do this? What's the point? Surely someone over at Nintendo looked at the concept kit and said "yo listen dude, how close to the tv do you think people sit these days?"

It might have to do with the fact that you can't enter the menu without hitting the reset button.

It might have to do with the fact that you can't enter the menu without hitting the reset button.
Also since it's supposed to serve as a Wii CC it would just be a bunch of excess cord for those users.

They should have done this differently for sure. But there's a tiny bit of reason in this madness. But only a bit.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
According to my order on amazon.de, delivery is now on November 30th. So it gets delayed?

Was really looking forward to this but that cord has instantly killed it for me. Makes no sense whatsoever, how they thought it was a good idea is beyond me.

According to my order on amazon.de, delivery is now on November 30th. So it gets delayed?

is that Denmark? If there's a delay on a worldwide release, usually PAL countries get hit with the delay first. Wouldn't surprise me if its delayed in Euro and Australia, but on time in US and Japan

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
is that Denmark? If there's a delay on a worldwide release, usually PAL countries get hit with the delay first. Wouldn't surprise me if its delayed in Euro and Australia, but on time in US and Japan

Germany

chemicals

Balloon Fight™
- really old but still a mindless-fun kinda game.

BUBBLE BOBBLE
- classic puzzler. great game.

Castlevania™
- not much to say. it's freaking Castlevania. Great game.

Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
- a game that started a new genre of games.. super essential classic stuff here. GREAT game.

Donkey Kong™
- the original arcade version of DK. Super essential and perfect.

Donkey Kong Jr. ™
- another fabulous classic. My personal favorite among DK 1, Jr, and 3.

DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
- was fun when it came out. Not sure how it would hold up. I would have preferred the original Double Dragon NES edition.

Dr. Mario™
- classic classic classic puzzler. Essential gaming. Video Games 101.

Excitebike™
- The game I got on christmas morning with my NES. Classic.. Essential.

FINAL FANTASY®
- Still one of my favorite RPG's. Amazing from start to finish. Another game that spawned a genre. CLASSIC

Galaga™
- The NES version of Galaga is okay... it pales in comparison to the perfect XBLA version.

GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
- One of the hardest games ever. A Capcom classic. OG. Great stuff.

GRADIUS™
- Essential space shooter. YET another game that spawned an entire genre. Classic as fuck.

Ice Climber™
- not very good at all. still a classic Nintendo property and not a waste of storage space.

Kid Icarus™
- NES Adventure Classic! Super difficult! Essential Gaming.

Kirby’s Adventure™
- Kirby is amazing... one of the later NES games. Amazing from top to bottom. Killer stuff.

Mario Bros. ™
- for some reason I always loved the original single screen Mario Bros. Classic gameplay. Used to have this on my Atari 5200.

MEGA MAN® 2
- Probably the best Mega Man game ever released. Sick gameplay, hard as hell, classic Capcom. Can't miss.

Metroid™
- It's fucking METROID. Enough said.

NINJA GAIDEN
- original NES version of one of the most essential hard-as-fuck action games. First game with cinematic cut scenes.

PAC-MAN™
- again, like Galaga... there are many better Pac-Man arcade ports out there. See XBLA.

Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
- truly one of the best NES games ever released. I was mesmerized by Mike Tyson's Punch Out and I still enjoy playing it.. amazingly satisfying gameplay.

StarTropics™
- this game was so complex... a late era NES RPG that was far ahead of it's time. One of Nintendo's great lost IPs.

SUPER C™
- eh.. another NES Contra. Very different and better than the arcade version. Killer stuff.

Super Mario Bros.™
- It's Super Mario Brothers

Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
- it's SMB2!

Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
- one of the best video games ever made in the history of all games... every era included.

TECMO BOWL
- another timeless classic. Ridiculously essential sports game from the NES era.

The Legend of Zelda™
- still one of the best Zelda games ever. A genre-defining game that is still fun as hell today. Possibly the best game on this list.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™
- I'm not a fan of Zelda 2.. but hell. Some people consider this an essential 8 bit game.

SystemUser

Balloon Fight™

BUBBLE BOBBLE

Castlevania™

- a game that started a new genre of games.. super essential classic stuff here. GREAT game.

Donkey Kong™

Donkey Kong Jr. ™

- was fun when it came out. Not sure how it would hold up. I would have preferred the original Double Dragon NES edition.

Dr. Mario™

Excitebike™

FINAL FANTASY®
- Still one of my favorite RPG's. Amazing from start to finish. Another game that spawned a genre. CLASSIC

Galaga™
- The NES version of Galaga is okay... it pales in comparison to the perfect XBLA version.

GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®

GRADIUS™
- Essential space shooter. YET another game that spawned an entire genre. Classic as fuck.

Ice Climber™
- not very good at all. still a classic Nintendo property and not a waste of storage space.

Kid Icarus™

Kirby’s Adventure™
- Kirby is amazing... one of the later NES games. Amazing from top to bottom. Killer stuff.

Mario Bros. ™
- for some reason I always loved the original single screen Mario Bros. Classic gameplay. Used to have this on my Atari 5200.

MEGA MAN® 2
- Probably the best Mega Man game ever released. Sick gameplay, hard as hell, classic Capcom. Can't miss.

Metroid™

NINJA GAIDEN
- original NES version of one of the most essential hard-as-fuck action games. First game with cinematic cut scenes.

PAC-MAN™
- again, like Galaga... there are many better Pac-Man arcade ports out there. See XBLA.

- truly one of the best NES games ever released. I was mesmerized by Mike Tyson's Punch Out and I still enjoy playing it.. amazingly satisfying gameplay.

StarTropics™
- this game was so complex... a late era NES RPG that was far ahead of it's time. One of Nintendo's great lost IPs.

SUPER C™
- eh.. another NES Contra. Very different and better than the arcade version. Killer stuff.

Super Mario Bros.™

Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
- it's SMB2!

Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
- one of the best video games ever made in the history of all games... every era included.

TECMO BOWL
- another timeless classic. Ridiculously essential sports game from the NES era.

The Legend of Zelda™
- still one of the best Zelda games ever. A genre-defining game that is still fun as hell today. Possibly the best game on this list.

- I'm not a fan of Zelda 2.. but hell. Some people consider this an essential 8 bit game.

A few mistakes in your post:

Bubble Bobble is not a puzzle game. It is an action game that has lots of platforming. You are probably thinking of Puzzle Bobble (aka Bust-A-Move).

Donkey Kong on the NES is not quite the arcade version. The arcade version has four different screens of platforming, but the NES version is missing the "Pie/Cement Factory". DK64 had the real arcade game as an unlockable in the NOA region. The NES version is a passable port, but not arcade perfect. I assume the NES Classic features the NOA NES version of Donkey Kong. Correct me if I am wrong.

Gradius in no way spawned a genre. It wasn't even Konami's first space themed horizontal scrolling shoot'em up.

Pac Man NES has less missing from the game compared to Donkey Kong NES which you called perfect. It is not a perfect Pac Man, but if you know Pac Man well enough to tell the difference you probably own other version of this game already.

Randam

I have absolutely no problem with this.

69RFCU2.jpg

I think I've said it until I'm blue in the face but I'm totally sold on the controller. Making them use the existing Wiimote extension port is the most design sensible thing they've done with it.

It should work on anything that uses bluetooth and pairs with the Wii remote.

It really was a smart idea.

AgeEighty

Just going to use a long HDMI cable myself; I'm pretty sure that's what Nintendo has in mind. Do we know how long the included one is?

VanWinkle

SOOO bizarre/disappointing that they made the cord so short. I can't understand what they were thinking there. Clearly not that it would be plugged into a TV and played like a console.

Agent X

SOOO bizarre/disappointing that they made the cord so short. I can't understand what they were thinking there. Clearly not that it would be plugged into a TV and played like a console.

While the cord length is a shortcoming (*rimshot*), keep in mind that the controller can also be connected to a Wii Remote for use with games on Wii or Wii U. If the cord were significantly longer, then it might be unwieldy when used in that situation.

If it's any consolation, the good news is that the controller itself sells for a measly $10. If you spend another $10 for a third-party extension cable, then you would have shelled out a total of $20 for a reproduction NES pad with a "full-length" cord. That's about what you'd pay for a decent aftermarket "NES-style" joypad anyway, but this has the benefit of being a genuine Nintendo product, with the look and feel of the original pad from three decades ago.

I have absolutely no problem with this.

69RFCU2.jpg
I'm pretty lucky with my current setup, so this won't bother me, but that looks like it'll start tugging as soon as you sit down and pull it above your waist.

dat fab hot dogs card tho

Bane

Metroid came out over a year before.

FINAL FANTASY®

Dragon Quest came out over a year before.

AdanVC

Welp, some rumors are saying that this thing will cost here in Mexico around $1800 pesos wich is around $93 dollars.... Almost $100 US Dollars, people! I didn't wanted to get one of this anyway, with that ridiculously short cable controller and cheap plastic in the shape of an NES. (I'm salty as you can see)

Koppai

I'm not too worried about picking this up now. My store is getting a good number. I ready have one ordered at Target.

Anth0ny

im not going out of my way to buy one of these. it should just pop up on amazon, no fuss.

it won't even become my primary way of playing NES games (original hardware on a CRT)... or even my primary way of playing emulated NES games! (wii VC)

but i'm a sucker for cool hardware like this. ahhh

So yesterday I asked the lady from our local game/dvd/etc shop ( a chain) if I can preorder the NES mini.
she said there is no need for preorder because they will get "plenty" on release day.

I'm sure you can hop in a shop and just buy that damn thing off the shelf

mollipen

That's quite a foreboding picture with the Neo Geo X hanging out back there. Surely that can't be foreshadowing.

That's my office, and it's been sitting there since I brought it in for us to play some fighting games. I didn't mean anything by having in the shot.

...or did I?!?

Having to buy accessories defeats a major appeal of this thing.

I think there is an appeal in buying the NES Advantage knock-off for this as well as the other NES Classic third party controller variants. But having to buy some controller extension cords is pretty lame.

UberTag

In the Giantbomb quicklook they seem to have taken the player names and numbers out of Tecmo Bowl. Have fun playing as the great mysterious Los Angeles RB.
Shame you can't manually tweak the rosters with custom names so you can name that dude Gurley even with the absence of an NFL license.

UberTag

My rocket science solution... have the controller cable be a proper length - AND - add a switch/button on the NES controller replica that replicates the Reset button functionality.

So what's probably the easiest/cheapest route to go here? Buy two cord extensions for the controllers, or buy a long HDMI cable and a long AC cable? Or is the AC cable long enough already? I'm a little confused on that one.

Justinh

IGN's review saying what we're thinking.

Its high quality emulation wipes the floor with the WiiU's ugly NES console, but for all its remarkable authenticity the ridiculously short controller wires make it a pain to use.

Score:
which of course, means angry people in the comments for some dumb reason.

I think I'm just going to get the controller extensions. I don't mind having to get up to press reset and I'd rather do that than have a cord running through the center of the room.

Celine

Good, I've just preordered the NES Classic Mini for 50 bucks on Amazon.
I will probably need to wait a couple of weeks but at that price I'm happy.

Bedlam

Just checked my order from Amazon.de. It still says 11. November for the delivery date. Fingers crossed!

However, they cancelled my pre-order of the second controller two days ago, saying they received notice from Nintendo that they can't guarantee shipments.

b3b0p

Balloon Fight™

BUBBLE BOBBLE

Castlevania™

Donkey Kong™

Donkey Kong Jr. ™

Dr. Mario™

Excitebike™

FINAL FANTASY®

Galaga™

GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®

GRADIUS™

Ice Climber™

Kid Icarus™

Kirby’s Adventure™

Mario Bros. ™

MEGA MAN® 2

Metroid™

NINJA GAIDEN

PAC-MAN™

StarTropics™

SUPER C™

Super Mario Bros.™

Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
- it's SMB2!

Super Mario Bros. ™ 3

TECMO BOWL

The Legend of Zelda™

So, in summary, 30 great games that don't require an internet connection, require some skill and patience, that are actually fun to play unlike that majority of games released today. Got it. Sounds like a winner to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom