• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EctoPrime

Seems weird that pressing reset is the only option to get back to the main menu when hitting start and select at the same time would work just as well. Literally hundreds of Sony Ps1 demo discs worked this way to get back to the menu and Nintendo had a similiar button combination for Gamecube kiosk demos.

univbee

OK, do you know what adapter it uses?

Would it be the same as the 3ds one by any chance?

It's straight-up USB powered, so any wall adapter which gives you USB ports will work, as will plugging it straight into your TV if your TV has a free USB port for power.

Do we know yet if the EU games will be 60Hz?

Yes; by all accounts the US and EU units are identical, minus the EU versions not including a power-to-USB adapter.

I have absolutely no problem with this.

69RFCU2.jpg

That's ridiculous.

I was going to buy one. Not anymore.

jwhit28

That's ridiculous.

I was going to buy one. Not anymore.

If you already own a Wii or Wii U with a lot of these games, might as well just grab a NES controller. You don't get nearly as much value buying all the games separately on VC, but how many people are actually gonna play all 30? You get a wireless controller and Wii U in Wii mode is just as good visually. I'm just gonna pick up a 25ft HDMI cord.

Yukinari

Was really hoping that this would pop up on Amazon so i could make use of the Prime discount. No idea why this thing isnt being sold online.

Shiggy

It is really ridiculous.

If you still want one and are ok with paying an additional $10, pre-order one of these.

Basically, if anyone wants an NES Classic, consider it a $70 purchase.

Link? I haven't heard about this.

Source B (Ubisoft) claims that the current version of Just Dance in development supports Wii Remotes, or Joy-Cons, for multiplayer play. Source A (Nintendo) confirmed Wii Remote support on dev kit, and confirmed the Joy-Cons as phasing out Wii Remotes over time.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

If you want to get this thing in Europe before Christmas, you really might be out of luck. Not sure how they could mess up the launch this badly. People are paying 50€ just for the controller now...

explodet

Fellow Canadians: Nov. 11 is a holiday.....so Nov. 12 for us at brick and mortars?
Remembrance Day is a little funny in that it's a federal holiday but it's not statutory in many provinces. And even if you get the day off, stores in your province may still be open.

Googling "What's Open on Remembrance Day" may get you older articles but should give you an idea of what to expect.

Shiggy

Thanks. I wish Nintendo would phase out the Wii remotes quicker (as in, no Switch support for them at all), but oh well. The one positive is being able to use these new NES controllers on that system, which is nice.

What's your problem with them? Isn't it good to have controllers for multiplayer fun already at home?

Was really hoping that this would pop up on Amazon so i could make use of the Prime discount. No idea why this thing isnt being sold online.
Um...I don't think the Prime discount applies to video game consoles or hardware. At least I didn't get a discount for the PSVR pack, Xbox One S, and now the PS4 Pro.

dock

USGamer's excellent review mentions that the manuals are all QR Code based, meaning you have to scan the QR code on the screen with your phone to access a website.

I have an iPhone and iPad which natively doesn't support QR Code scanning, and I'm unwilling to install an annoying QRcode scanning app. I'm hoping that someone will compile links to all the browser based manuals.

Looking forward to playing this next week. Luckily I have a HDMI cable looped around my room which pops out under the couch, so the cable lengths are a non-issue for me.

What's your problem with them? Isn't it good to have controllers for multiplayer fun already at home?

A new, non-BC platform that allows the use of controllers of a console from two generations in the past is weird and could potentially lead to consumer confusion. There's no need for Wii-anything on Switch.

Vitten

NES Ghosts'n Goblins doesn't belong on this list. I'm sorry but the game is legit crap: very poor port that is WAAAY to hard to be even remotely enjoyable. Perhaps with safe states it will now finally be able to get somewhere in this game but I would be much happier with something like Faxanadu or Crystalis.

NES Ghosts'n Goblins doesn't belong on this list. I'm sorry but the game is legit crap: very poor port that is WAAAY to hard to be even remotely enjoyable. Perhaps with safe states it will now finally be able to get somewhere in this game but I would be much happier with something like Faxanadu or Crystalis.

It's a great game and although your suggestions are definitely better overall, they're not nearly as well-known. This is a nostalgia-box.

Micronics for the lose

ghosts n goblins is the 8 bit dark souls though

Yeah that game is insanely hard, super ghouls n ghosts is much more lenient but still hard. Ending is a mess too, made me go wtf

Celine

If you want to get this thing in Europe before Christmas, you really might be out of luck. Not sure how they could mess up the launch this badly. People are paying 50€ just for the controller now...
Yeah demand seems to outstrip offer by a large margin at the moment.

Though I've just preordered the NES Classic Mini for 50€ eh eh.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I have an iPhone and iPad which natively doesn't support QR Code scanning, and I'm unwilling to install an annoying QRcode scanning app. I'm hoping that someone will compile links to all the browser based manuals.

That's so weird.
They make very utilitarian, bare-bone scanning apps useful for all kinds of barcodes. Never know when you need it.

Syril

A new, non-BC platform that allows the use of controllers of a console from two generations in the past is weird and could potentially lead to consumer confusion. There's no need for Wii-anything on Switch.
As a consumer nothing upsets me more than devices having more compatibility than initially expected. When I found out that my PS3 supported practically any controller connected with USB I was fuming.

They should have replaced it with another Capcom game.

Gamervana84

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in UK after one then the Nintendo uk store is restocking in december and game have extra controller for pre order again at the moment

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Just saw on kotaku that an old Nintendo help line will be running agian for 2 days

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-brings-back-the-power-line-for-a-weekend-1788573658

The Mini-NES, a tiny, $60 box that plays 30 classic NES games, comes out on Friday, November 11. From then until Sunday night (November 13), Nintendo will reopen their classic customer service system, allowing players to call the crusty old Power Line for tips and tricks. Sadly, there won’t be any real people on the line—just automated messages. But it’s still bound to take us all back to 1989, big hair and all.

Vitten

They should have replaced it with another Capcom game.

Yeah, the original Bionic Commando for instance . Much better game allround.

I was pretty hardcore as a kid and had no problem finishing stuff like Zelda 2 or even Mission Impossible but I still have nightmares from Ghost's N Ghoblins.
No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get passed the mansion with all those brown guys with a heart tattooed on their biceps who would bumrush you will you also had to deal with crows flying around ( if memory serves me right).
Was pretty frustrating being stuck so early cos I only got a new game maybe every 3 -4 months.

OmegaFax

Yes; by all accounts the US and EU units are identical, minus the EU versions not including a power-to-USB adapter.

Is the version of Super C the Probotector version or the US version? Sorry if that's been asked before. Curious if they're using 60hz US NTSC releases across the board or whether there's a few regional exceptions.

Pandy

Giving customers an option that saves them money is weird?

I assume you want them to release a new batch of Switch-only GC controllers for Smash too, huh?

EDIT: On topic, I just checked the Nintendo UK store, where I pre-ordered, and they are sold out. Both systems and controllers.

woopWOOP

I only got to stage 3 once in Ghost & Goblins through hard work and I was rewarded with a cave level full of Red Arremers.
I'm gonna abuse the hell out of the save state feature when I play that game and even then I don't know if I'm gonna bother to get the true ending.

Also 2-player Ice Climber is pretty fun and I'm glad it got included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom