• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked by amiibo

There’s no need to get upset at people exercising their right to boycott. The question is do you really expect a boycott started on Neogaf to make any discernible difference? Probably not.

Metroid will be fine and there’s no need to panic about Nintendo ending support for this franchise.

As I said before, choosing to not support this amiibo stuff, would mean you boycott the Amiibo, not the game.

Those people aren't boycotting an amiibo, they are boycotting a company's shitty practices. They reached the conclusion that giving them $50 instead or $80 isn't enough for them.

Thanks, Mr Mii, for telling me that being against a Nintendo practice is silly.

Lmaoooo

Some of the attitudes we get in threads like this are nonsensical. Just because fans have been wanting a new Metroid game doesn't mean we can't criticize what they do with it or refuse to buy it based on a bad practice.

etrain911

Because I'm against nintendo doing this, but also am level headed and not going to boycott the game.

You don't sound very level-headed. This isn't a kickstarter, Nintendo isn't entitled to my money, and if they want to know why a game isn't successful they have enough in their war chest for market research.

yuoke

Banned
You don't sound very level-headed. This isn't a kickstarter, Nintendo isn't entitled to my money, and if they want to know why a game isn't successful they have enough in their war chest for market research.

Okay, then you don't have to get the game if you want to.

Shin-Ra

Artificially splitting content between game SKUs works for Pokémon since Red/Blue so why not lock a little content behind cheaper NFC figures!

Dimmle

I'm not sure why this doesn't bug me as much as it probably should. It's shitty, but it's not the first time a mode or feature has been locked behind another accessory. Metroid Prime had entire extra games and skins locked behind their connectivity initiative. I guess there's a difference between being a Metroid fan asked to buy more Metroid games (in a time where three (probably four) Metroid games were on shelves simultaneously, oh my god) and being a Metroid fan asked to buy plastic shit they may have no desire for otherwise.

Yeah, it's not a great look, actually.

ramparter

Banned
This is bad imo. I really don't care, it won't affect my decision to buy the game or not but it's the wrong call and imo they don't even need to do that, people will buy their amiibo anyway. They probably just wanted to make people feel like their amiibo has some value other than being just a figurine but it sends the message that they are locking content behine extra paywalls.

yuoke

Banned
This is bad imo. I really don't care, it won't affect my decision to buy the game or not but it's the wrong call and imo they don't even need to do that, people will buy their amiibo anyway. They probably just wanted to make people feel like their amiibo has some value other than being just a figurine but it sends the message that they are locking content behine extra paywalls.

To be fair, a ton of people have been complaining about that for awhile

ckaneo

How often do game series do this? Identify the problem and return as opposed to just being shelved?

I guess I won't buy the amiibo for this game then.

The dream is dead.

Are you saying you were going to buy this amiibo but might not because of this, or that you might buy another amiibo that doesn't unlock anything instead or that you might still buy this amiibo but not because of this game?

Oh, and what was the dream?

Anth0ny

Excusing shitty practices by saying "It's [CURRENT YEAR] has to be the most tired argument on this forum. Game difficulty modes have not been DLC in any significant capacity this year or any previous year until Nintendo decided it'd be cool to charge people for a previously free game feature. It's just Nintendo doing this. The year has absolutely zero relevance beyond the observation that Nintendo is quickly becoming one of the worst companies with regards to DLC practices.

nintendo setting trends brah

and I'm pretty clearly NOT excusing anything... I'm just saying that's the reality. Things that were once free are now paid DLC. This is a fact, and it's not going anywhere because companies make more money this way.

To be fair, a ton of people have been complaining about that for awhile
But as a consumer of video games for a video game console, I don't give a shit about what some people think about the value of their cheap plastic figurines in relation to their ability to unlock video game content. Nintendo as a business likely cares, but as a consumer, I'd be just as happy if Amiibo never existed.

and I'm pretty clearly NOT excusing anything... I'm just saying that's the reality. Things that were once free are now paid DLC. This is a fact, and it's not going anywhere because companies make more money this way.
Sorry I wasn't incredibly clear. You didn't excuse it, but many others across multiple threads have. I just used your post because it mentioned the year :)

On the plus side, if the protests are loud enough this might make the evening news which could make the Samus amiibo really iconic. Although, this would probably increase sales tenfold.

As I said before, choosing to not support this amiibo stuff, would mean you boycott the Amiibo, not the game.

We dont even know if Hard Mode is there and maybe this is Super Hard mode.

Regardless, you funnily said it yourself. "It's hard mode, not a new story or a new area added".
So if it is something so small, why for the love of god, make such a fuss about that.

Yes, putting it back behind a amiibo is uncool, I get that, I think so too, but people come here and lash out like they get a Early Access game with half the content scrapped and Season passes announced.

Yeah, the hyperbole is extreme. It makes me even defend those stupid decision from nintendo, because boycotting the game because one extra-mode is locked behind a Amiibo is even more stupid.

It's totaly fine to critizise the decision, but boycott calls only hurt the franchise, not the Amiibo. That has sold well even before the information about the functions.

We can't be even sure that all the boycott screamers would have bought the game anyway. I feel like if theres some criticism to make about Nintendo all the console warriors jump on the wagon too.

Speaking of year, it's 2017 and they are still asking full price for a game that looks like it's from 2002. That alone should disqualify Nintendo from asking for any additional investments.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Some people are drawing a line in the sand and saying that's enough. The reason things are getting worse is because of consumers who unconditionally accept everything.

Future

In this thread people are pissed that Nintendo actually puts something worthwhile in an amiibo.

That's what these things are for. If you are like me and haven't bought one, it's because there has been nothing important bundled with one yet. Arguably even this isn't that important for a lot of people. But I expect them to test the waters and see what actions promote more amiibo purchases

It is a slap in the face to the Nintendo fan that isn't so lost in the sauce that they buy every amiibo no matter what. But nintendo has been slapping this fan in the face for years. Whatever. I'll buy this one shitty amiibo. 1 out of like 50 made is pretty good for me considering I owned both a Wii U and now a switch. Who knows, maybe I'll be on the look out long term and see what else this amiibo does for me

In this thread people are pissed that Nintendo actually puts something worthwhile in an amiibo.

That's what these things are for. If you are like me and haven't bought one, it's because there has been nothing important bundled with one yet. Arguably even this isn't that important for a lot of people. But I expect them to test the waters and see what actions promote more amiibo purchases

It is a slap in the face to the Nintendo fan that isn't so lost in the sauce that they buy every amiibo no matter what. But nintendo has been slapping this fan in the face for years. Whatever. I'll buy this one shitty amiibo. 1 out of like 50 made is pretty good for me considering I owned both a Wii U and now a switch. Who knows, maybe I'll be on the look out long term and see what else this amiibo does for me
imo amiibo work best when they offer small cosmetic incentives to "use" the amiibo in the games they're compatible with, such as how using, say, a Sonic amiibo grants you a Sonic design in Yoshi's Woolly World.

That's what these things are for.

Amiibo is a "Toys to Life" ripoff. That's what they kind of still stood for in Smash Bros. and maybe it still made sense when characters could get costumes that looked like the Amiibo that was "inserted". Now, how does beating a game and then using your figurine to get access to standard unlockables serve the initial concept in any way? It's completely nonsensical from that perspective and a convoluted way to sell extremely overpriced DLC from any other.

Hellers

The weird thing is they'd sell every single one of those amiibos even without tying the difficulty mode to it. It's a very nice amiibo and they never make enough anyway. There's no need for what they did.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yeah, the hyperbole is extreme. It makes me even defend those stupid decision from nintendo, because boycotting the game because one extra-mode is locked behind a Amiibo is even more stupid.

It's totaly fine to critizise the decision, but boycott calls only hurt the franchise, not the Amiibo. That has sold well even before the information about the functions.

We can't be even sure that all the boycott screamers would have bought the game anyway. I feel like if theres some criticism to make about Nintendo all the console warriors jump on the wagon too.

Yep, I'm increasingly of the opinion that some of the Metroid fan base is prone to overreaction. Other games had amiibo locked content without all this furore. Also, I don't care what anyone says, both Other M and Fed Force were incredibly fun games and definitely not worth 1/10 of the handwringing the games received. They also were not the end of the series. I fully predict more drama surrounding MP4's release too.

This game is a test to see if Classic 2D Metroid is still viable. Basically, if you've been one of those people who've been whining about the way Nintendo's mistreated the franchise, it is clearly time to put your money where your mouth is. (For the record, Metroid isn't my thing and I won't be buying it. But, equally well, I haven't been crying over the last decade about the lack of a new game in the series either.)

yuoke

Banned
How much do you think this game was going to sell if everything went perfect PR wise?

The worst selling metroid game sold just under a million with zero mission, until fed force which is an obvious exception. This could break a million on the 3ds, maybe up to 1.5 mil.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Fuck.

I really, really wish shit like Skylanders and Disney Infinity never existed. Amiibos were obviously a result of Nintendo being extremely desperate after how much of a failure the Wii U turned out to be, so they looked at how popular the whole toys to life gimmick was at the time and decided that they wanted their piece of the pie. And now it's leading us to garbage like this.

How can something be "obvious" when it's factually incorrect?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Speaking of year, it's 2017 and they are still asking full price for a game that looks like it's from 2002. That alone should disqualify Nintendo from asking for any additional investments.

Yes, Nintendo should start pricing their games based on how Spieler Eins on NeoGAF personally values them.

Dynheart

Banned
imo amiibo work best when they offer small cosmetic incentives to "use" the amiibo in the games they're compatible with, such as how using, say, a Sonic amiibo grants you a Sonic design in Yoshi's Woolly World.

I agree, but I can also see why Nintendo is pushing the envelop. I mean, Sony and Microsoft, Activison, EA, UBIsoft, basically the big players, have been finding ways to bend over the consumer and milk them dry. Consumer complains, invests anyway, complains some more, invests some more...these companies make large as bank.

Meanwhile, back at Nintendo, through out the Wii era everything came on the disc. DS, the same. Wii U, out side of maybe 3 games(?), same thing. I do not know if it was incompetence, or respect towards the gamer (Iwata), but they were obviously losing out on a lot of cash with this model. I mean, look at the Sony and Microsoft platform. Consumers were spending money, not happily, but doing it anyway!

Bring in amiibos. Sure, they can make things cosmetic...but what is so desirable about that other than collecting them? Add some functionality? Modes? DLC like qualities? Better yet, these are not one time investments, an amiibo can be used to unlock content in other games as well.

The idea, in theory, seems fun. The execution, however, has not been so great. Availability has been an issue. Also, secondary functions have also been lacking.

They do have a market with these, but Nintendo has to find a way to make they desirable to everyone.

How much do you think this game was going to sell if everything went perfect PR wise?
Well, considering that only two titles in the main series have ever not hit a million copies, decidedly quite a bit more than 50,000. That'd be an incredible failure for the series, and one that I don't see as realistic at all, even in my most pessimistic visions.

How much should the game cost?

As much as a 3DS game. And then they should consider themselves lucky that they can still get away with selling Gamecube-tier titles in this day and age, instead of turning standard features into pseudo-DLC of potentially up to 80 bucks.

nynt9

The weird thing is they'd sell every single one of those amiibos even without tying the difficulty mode to it. It's a very nice amiibo and they never make enough anyway. There's no need for what they did.

Heh, good point. Makes this even sillier. Just a different Samus costume would have been enough value to justify the amiibo.

Then $40 is fine.

And the DLC is not. As I've said elsewhere, one of the common excuses for bad DLC and microtransactions is that AAA productions cost too much to produce for the publisher, so they'd need that kind of practice to compensate losses. Yet this game is 240p remake. There's absolutely no justifying any kind of on-disc DLC, let alone this Amiibo mess that goes beyond even the most nightmarish DLC pricing.

... It does. It's $40.

I said the nature of this game disqualifies Nintendo from asking for additional investments (from the consumer). Because the 40 bucks are already pushing it for what feels like early 2000s tech.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I said the nature of this game disqualifies Nintendo from asking for additional investments (from the consumer). Because the 40 bucks are already pushing it for what feels like early 2000s tech.

But you're wrong as it clearly doesn't "disqualify" them from that. Sales won't be hurt because of this and the amiibo is already sold out.

So you can of course be upset about it but it certainly does not "disqualify" them from doing anything. The game will come out, sell the same as it was always going to but with a sold out amiibo on top of it, and life will go on.

royox

But this is 2017. Shit that was once free is now paid DLC. That's just what this industry has become...

I'm sorry but I'm trying to remember as hard as I can any other major game having a difficulty mode locked behind dlc and I can't find a single one game even if I search on the PS360 era.

Ah yes...

-Zelda BOTW
-Zelda TP HD

Care to help me with the list?

This thread is filled with so many "it's ok if Nintendo does it" it's scary.

I'm sorry but I'm trying to remember as hard as I can any other major game having a difficulty mode locked behind dlc and I can't find a single one game even if I search on the PS360 era.

Ah yes...

-Zelda BOTW
-Zelda TP HD

i can't even sleep at night because of the thought that a toy company produced a toy that works with other toys

truly terrifying

Hellers

Heh, good point. Makes this even sillier. Just a different Samus costume would have been enough value to justify the amiibo.

Yeah. I was hoping to buy that particular amiibo because it's squishy and weird. I have no plans to buy the Metroid game.

But you're wrong as it clearly doesn't "disqualify" them from that.

True, they are doing it anyway and people complain about it.

Sales won't be hurt because of this and the amiibo is already sold out. So you can of course be upset about it but it certainly does not "disqualify" them from doing anything. The game will come out, sell the same as it was always going to but with a sold out amiibo on top of it, and life will go on.

Good for them. Though then I don't see the reason why some people keep attacking people's purchase decisions in this thread.

Well, considering that only two titles in the main series have ever not hit a million copies, decidedly quite a bit more than 50,000. That'd be an incredible failure for the series, and one that I don't see as realistic at all, even in my most pessimistic visions.

I think 500k would be amazing for what it is.

Dynheart

Banned

Ah yes...

-Zelda BOTW
-Zelda TP HD

Metro: Last Light

Off the top of my head.

The infamous "premium DLC" quote.

Top Bottom