• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Delay-Age (Metroid Other M and S&P 2 Delayed)

I dont know why you guys were so worried. There is no way Nintendo could expect a Metroid Game to carry its holiday season. Also, it was on track to release in less than two months, its highly unlikely they ran into so much trouble this late in development that they would have to delay it for 6 months into Q4

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alright, here's my prediction: Zelda will not make the holidays. Instead, it will come in some time in March or April of 2010.

Instead, The holiday season will see Xenoblade, whatever the vitality sensor is being used for, and MAYBE The Last Story depending on accessibility. Xenoblade will likely be an early October release with a push befitting of previous Monolith title performance. Vitality Game will be mid to late November in time for the holiday rush with an expected media push. Finally, The Last Story, if it comes, will be late November to early December with a significant media push. Keep in mind, the only way I see it coming out this Holiday is if it provides a place as a "bridge title" meaning that if the game was designed for people who don't typically play RPGs to be able to learn and enjoy them. If The Last Story is your standard JRPG fair, expect instead a 2011 Summer release.

In any case, I believe that all of the above, including TLS, will be shown off at E3 this year, where the final date for Zelda will be announced to be in 2011. I want to eat my words on this one though. I would LOVE Zelda Wii for this holiday, but I'm unsure of the validity of such a release.

doomed1 said:
Alright, here's my prediction: Zelda will not make the holidays. Instead, it will come in some time in March or April of 2010.

Instead, The holiday season will see Xenoblade, whatever the vitality sensor is being used for, and MAYBE The Last Story depending on accessibility. Xenoblade will likely be an early October release with a push befitting of previous Monolith title performance. Vitality Game will be mid to late November in time for the holiday rush with an expected media push. Finally, The Last Story, if it comes, will be late November to early December with a significant media push. Keep in mind, the only way I see it coming out this Holiday is if it provides a place as a "bridge title" meaning that if the game was designed for people who don't typically play RPGs to be able to learn and enjoy them. If The Last Story is your standard JRPG fair, expect instead a 2011 Summer release.

In any case, I believe that all of the above, including TLS, will be shown off at E3 this year, where the final date for Zelda will be announced to be in 2011. I want to eat my words on this one though. I would LOVE Zelda Wii for this holiday, but I'm unsure of the validity of such a release.

OMG IT'S OUT?!

Seriously, I think the release list is pretty good already.
With April they've pushed Monster Hunter Tri
May - Super Mario Galaxy 2
June - S + P 2
July - FlingSmash
August - Metroid: Other M

That leaves potentially Zelda, Vitality Game, Last Story, Xenoblade, and any number of randomly announced titles for the Fall schedule.

Don't forget about the rumored 3DS release for Fall, too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
doomed1 said:

so you list all this but you basically don't suggest what nintendo will release in japan, the region they actually care about

Guevara

TheUnknownForce said:
OMG IT'S OUT?!

June - S + P 2
July - FlingSmash

That leaves potentially Zelda, Vitality Game, Last Story, Xenoblade, and any number of randomly announced titles for the Fall schedule.

It's hard to be upset with Nintendo this year, boy howdy.

This is a good thing, methinks. Sin and Punishment 2 probably isn't destined to make sales records no matter how you slice it, but it was certifiably fucked when it was jammed between Galaxy 2 and Other M, all basically releasing within the space of a month. Now at least it has a chance of getting picked up by people trying to fill the gap between Mario and Metroid.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
There was no way Metroid Other M comes out just weeks after SMG2, Nintendo rarely if ever releases big titles so close together. Expect it to hit in late August or September. Possibly could get delayed to the last 3 months if their true Christmas hit (zelda?) isn't going to be ready.

upandaway

truly101 said:
There was no way Metroid Other M comes out just weeks after SMG2, Nintendo rarely if ever releases big titles so close together. Expect it to hit in late August or September. Possibly could get delayed to the last 3 months if their true Christmas hit (zelda?) isn't going to be ready.
You are deluding yourself if you think either Zelda or Metroid can function as Nintendo's holidays center. Not even close.

Edit: fixed it a little

Sadist

[Nintex] said:
And Mario Galaxy 2 is released in may because gamers need enough time to fully entertain themselves with New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I recently read a Dutch article from someone who was hired by NoE to translate a few Virtual Console related things. It's more or less the easiest job in the world. They're playing Galaxy 2 and Metroid for 'research'(and they're not even assigned to work on those games) and type about 8 lines of dialog/manual a day. The other 'workers' explained to him that when there's a sudden important release they have to work harder but there's hardly any pressure.
I need this job.

Osuwari

damn. how did i miss this?

i always thought Other M was too close to galaxy but TBD seems to be too extreme. that seems like the kind of delay given to a game where a massive glitch was found and they had to redo a lot of stuff to fix it. if it was just to fill a gap, july/august would have been fine (august is the usual metroid release date recently)

i had even heard about promotions in my country about the game. this delay will hurt the game's hype.

Vizion28

Banned
A timely release of the black Wii since the summer time is the time sales are slowest.

I really curious how much the black Wii can spur sales. It's interesting to note how people would buy something just because like the color.

Osuwari said:
damn. how did i miss this?

i always thought Other M was too close to galaxy but TBD seems to be too extreme. that seems like the kind of delay given to a game where a massive glitch was found and they had to redo a lot of stuff to fix it. if it was just to fill a gap, july/august would have been fine (august is the usual metroid release date recently)

i had even heard about promotions in my country about the game. this delay will hurt the game's hype.

Actually, it's not TBD.
It's August 31.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
d-didn't even look that good

:'(((((((((()()()(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid in August! :lol

Who called it? Me! :D
And like 50 other people but still!

Zizbuka said:
So in other words it hasn't really been confirmed? Is funcoland in the US? Never heard of it.

Nintendo sent out an official press release.
It doesn't get much more confirmed than that...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It's not too surprising, actually I'm shocked they haven't had more games delayed, but then again they haven't released a hardcore title in awhile. Also, the chances of a new Zelda releasing on Wii this year in the US is slim to none. I thought Miyamoto was pretty clear on that. I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back as a Wii2 launch game.

MadOdorMachine said:
It's not too surprising, actually I'm shocked they haven't had more games delayed, but then again they haven't released a hardcore title in awhile. Also, the chances of a new Zelda releasing on Wii this year in the US is slim to none. I thought Miyamoto was pretty clear on that. I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back as a Wii2 launch game.

Man, I really hope this post was sarcastic, because if you were being serious, then I feel sorry for you...

cooljeanius said:
So which NPD does this put Metroid in? If it counts as August, it's pretty much screwed as far as August NPD numbers go.

Don't really think it matters, since it isn't going to chart in the top 10 either way.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cooljeanius said:
So which NPD does this put Metroid in? If it counts as August, it's pretty much screwed as far as August NPD numbers go.

Sometimes the NPD data doesn't stop recording right when the month ends or begins.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AceBandage said:
Man, I really hope this post was sarcastic, because if you were being serious, then I feel sorry for you...
Everyone always asks me if I'm being sarcastic. I was being serious, but please tell me what made you think that.

doomed1 said:

Why on Earth do people think that Xenoblade and The Last Story will be significant components of Nintendo's holiday lineup?

Again, we're not even sure NA is getting either title. And even if we do, do you really expect Nintendo of America to give either game a huge marketing push?

NoA is not going to spend a bunch of money and resources on two new and unproven JRPGs. It's that's simple.

MadOdorMachine said:
Everyone always asks me if I'm being sarcastic. I was being serious, but please tell me what made you think that.

Well, a few things.

1. Being "hardcore" has nothing to do with a game being delayed or not.
2. Miyamoto hasn't stated that Zelda Wii would come out next year as opposed to this year, unless you go back over a year. All recent statements say that it's not only on track for this year, but that it'll be playable at E3.
3. The "Wii2" won't be out until 2012 at the earliest. No way they're delaying it for the Wii2. Has TP really messed people up that badly? The only reason it was delayed was because it would have done no good on the GC.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
cooljeanius said:
NPD month calculator:
Every* quarter (3 months) is broken into a pattern of 4, 4, 5-week months and then repeats.

Quiz:
If March was a 5 week month ending April 3 (and it was), which month will August 31 be in on NPD? (must show your work)

Answer: It's very, very screwed as far as August NPD numbers!!
But looks good for September.

April
4/4-5/1

May
5/2-5/29

June
5/30-7/3

July
7/4 - 7/31

August
8/1 - 8/28

September
8/29-10/2

*Once every so-many years, January will be a 5 week month. The last time this happened was in 2007; it be a few more years until that happens again.

reggie.jpg

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AceBandage said:
Well, a few things.

1. Being "hardcore" has nothing to do with a game being delayed or not.
2. Miyamoto hasn't stated that Zelda Wii would come out next year as opposed to this year, unless you go back over a year. All recent statements say that it's not only on track for this year, but that it'll be playable at E3.
3. The "Wii2" won't be out until 2012 at the earliest. No way they're delaying it for the Wii2. Has TP really messed people up that badly? The only reason it was delayed was because it would have done no good on the GC.
1. I would think they would need more time to develop than say something like Mario Kart or NSMB which I consider to be more casual.

2. I don't keep track of every announcement made about Zelda, but the only comment I remember hearing about it this year didn't sound like it was set in stone. I thought it was understood that the game was to be unveiled at E3 and not necessarily playable, although that would be nice. I thought the game was so early along in development that they couldn't even show it last year. Saying the game would be out in 2010 has always been hopeful but not set in stone.

3. I agree unless Wii2 is a lot closer than we think. It has just as much chance to come out in 2011 as Zelda does to release in 2010. 3DS was just announced last month and it will be released in October. If it is coming out that soon, it would make sense to push a game like Zelda back as a release title.

Edit - I also meant that Nintendo have had very few delays this gen. They've been good about hitting their target even with games like SMG. In either case SMG2 is on time and S&P2 is only being pushed back a few weeks. It's still going to be a great year for Wii.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Willy105 said:
I was going to do the thread, but since you guys started doing it, here's the opening I was going to use.

It's supposed to be mysterious, then to build up to the logo. I used the beta logo because it would relate to both European and US releases instead of having to choose one or the other. You can use if you like it.

Sending you a PM right now.

AceBandage said:
Don't really think it matters, since it isn't going to chart in the top 10 either way.

Corruption charted in the top 10 in its first month. I think August/September is Madden season so expect that to take up 2 spots.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hey, there's always that bizarrely obscure "Guy in Spacesuit Floats through Space" game we haven't heard about in ages - or was/is that Cosmic Walker, which we haven't heard about in ages?

Danielsan

[Nintex] said:
And Mario Galaxy 2 is released in may because gamers need enough time to fully entertain themselves with New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I recently read a Dutch article from someone who was hired by NoE to translate a few Virtual Console related things. It's more or less the easiest job in the world. They're playing Galaxy 2 and Metroid for 'research'(and they're not even assigned to work on those games) and type about 8 lines of dialog/manual a day. The other 'workers' explained to him that when there's a sudden important release they have to work harder but there's hardly any pressure.
Where do I sign up?
Sounds like a great job. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DavidDayton said:
Hey, there's always that bizarrely obscure "Guy in Spacesuit Floats through Space" game we haven't heard about in ages - or was/is that Cosmic Walker, which we haven't heard about in ages?

I figure that, much like HAMMER, it doesnt exist anymore.

[Nintex]

TheUnknownForce said:
OMG IT'S OUT?!

June - S + P 2
July - FlingSmash

We have all the reason to be mad

Reggie: "Look guys it's Animal Crossing Wii hardcore Wii Speak Edition"
*tumbleweed*
NOA: "Oh shi... here's ExciteBots?"
*tumbleweed"
NoE: "Lol what's ExciteBots?"
NOA: "Punch-Out!! remake Yo!"
NOA: "Wii Sports Resort will release in Spring!"
*spring passes*
NCL: "NINTENDO BUYS JAPAN AND CHANGES CALENDAR, SUMMER NOW OFFICIALLY SPRING"
Reggie: "We have loads of new exciting games to release like... New Super Mario Bros. Wii!"
Geoff: "Like New Super Mario Bros Wii.?"
Reggie: "Well just NSMBWii actually..."
Me: "Well that lasted about a month..."

*6 months later*

NoE e-mails me: "Hey guys running fansites, how about you go play something that's like ZELDA at our HQ!"
Me: "You mean Monster Hunter?"
NoE: "YES YES YES"
Me: "That's not like Zelda at all..."
NoE: "No really it is!"
*Me goes there*
NoE: "We haven't tested it yet, but it's supposed to be like Zelda, also our Wii is hooked up with component cables but not set to Widescreen or 60hz"
Me: "Let me fix that 'framerate' for you... lol"

NCL: "ZELDA MARIO METROID OUT THIS YEAR, FOR REAL!"
NOA: "WILL SHOW SHIT AT MEDIA SUMMIT FOR PRESS"
NOA: "HEY WHAT'S THIS S&P2 DOING IN MAH SUPER MARIO PRESS RELEASE?"
Everyone: "Yay!"
NCL: "LOL OOPS SAKAMOTO NOT NEARLY FINISHED WITH METROID OTHER M, SEE YOU NEXT MONTH!"
NOA: "LOL 16 NEW SUPER MARIO GALAXY TRAILERS INCOMING!"
NoE: "SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 WILL RELEASE IN JUNE BECAUSE WE SUCK AND HATE YOU"
NOA: "S&P2 IS FINISHED BUT... DELAYED ANYWAY"
NoE: "WELL FUCK WAT DO WE DO I'TS OUT IN TWO WEEKS?"
NCL: "PLASTIC AND DVD SHORTAGES HIT AGAIN, MIGHT EFFECT S&P2 EUROPEAN RELEASE..."
NOA: "LOL WHAT A.. WAIT WHY ARE WE PRESS RELEASING THIS?"
Everyone: "WTF Nintendo well at least we have Galaxy... and Metroid/Zelda this year"

Iwata: "Oh lol, I meant Zelda this fiscal year..."
Iwata: "But you will get the GCN Kirby retooled, after all the hard work Project Sora was not in vain!"
Iwata: "No I was actually misunderstood by the press about Zelda, I meant this century"

Iwata: "Well, Mr. Sakamoto is a great designer and I have confidence that he'll never escape his dungeon...eerr office again.. what I mean is that we're working really hard to make Metroid: Other M the best Metroid yet."
Geoff: "Team Ninja was disbanded 3 years ago..."
Iwata: "Well time certainly flies, remember when Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out, that wasn't 3 years ago was it?"
Geoff: "Well actually..."

Reggie: "Retro Studios? Well those boys are hard at work!"
Reggie: "They released 3 games in the last five years, sure all one disk but still 3 games a year is quite an achievement!"

Top Bottom