• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo details how physical games bigger than 32GB will work on Switch

jonno394

This is not the digital download version box, is it? Is there even such a SKU planned/announced? Retailers all only list a single SKU for the standard and legend editions:
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/nba-2k18-early-tip-off-edition/148342
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/nba-2k18-legend-edition/148347

October 17 is the release of the retail edition.

Yeah i think we've been operating on the assumption it's for the digital version releasing day and date with the others, but that seemingly is an incorrect assumption.

However, the "early tip off" edition makes no sense with its "4 day early" stuff from 15th September if its not releasing until October, which is why many think there are issues with the listing and that this is for a digital code in a box launching in September, unless that's no longer coming to the switch version.

Shiggy

Yeah i think we've been operating on the assumption it's for the digital version releasing day and date with the others, but that seemingly is an incorrect assumption.

However, the "early tip off" edition makes no sense with its "4 day early" stuff from 15th September if its not releasing until October, which is why many think there are issues with the listing and that this is for a digital code in a box launching in September.

The problem seems to be that it's just a copy/paste job from the other versions and that even the 2k Store still lists the Switch retail version for a release on September 15. Looks like somebody at 2k hasn't really taken due care of this.

ggx2ac

This is not the digital download version box, is it? Is there even such a SKU planned/announced? Retailers all only list a single SKU for the standard and legend editions:
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/nba-2k18-early-tip-off-edition/148342
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/nba-2k18-legend-edition/148347

October 17 is the release of the retail edition.

My mistake for assuming it from this thread which said it was a DL code in a box from Best Buy which lists the September release date for the Early Tip-Off edition: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nba-2k18-early-tip-off-edition-nintendo-switch/5721413.p?skuId=5721413

That's why we really need clarification on this stuff because it feels like a repeat of what happened with Lego City Undercover.

jariw

We'd need more clarification. As you mentioned, IGN are citing the digital download version box, nothing in the article has been confirmed about the physical version.

As I pointed out in my post Game Informer interviewed the developers and they want to get the game down to 25GB in size, and they confirm the physical release date but didn't say if the physical version is the same size as the digital download.

Either we have to wait for the physical release or if we could get clarification from someone at 2K.

Yes, this is the most reasonable conclusion at this point. The physical version is so far away yet, that I personally will wait until close to release to see how the physical version actually will appear.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Wait.. Am I required to download additional data to get the physical game working after I have installed it? Isn't that basically a useless card without servers to back it up?

Shiggy

My mistake for assuming it from this thread which said it was a DL code in a box from Best Buy which lists the September release date for the Early Tip-Off edition: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nba-2k18-early-tip-off-edition-nintendo-switch/5721413.p?skuId=5721413

That's why we really need clarification on this stuff because it feels like a repeat of what happened with Lego City Undercover.

It would be really deceiving if they just send a download code on Sept 15 to those who preordered the retail version.

Wait.. Am I required to download additional data to get the physical game working after I have installed it?

You don't install Switch games. You can even play part of the game without the download. But if you want the full game, you apparently need to download additional data in addition to having the game card inserted.

ggx2ac

Yes, this is the most reasonable conclusion at this point. The physical version is so far away yet, that I personally will wait until close to release to see how the physical version actually will appear.

Note: Edited the first paragraph of my post since nothing has been confirmed for a digital download boxed retail version.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It would be really deceiving if they just send a download code on Sept 15 to those who preordered the retail version.

You don't install Switch games. You can even play part of the game without the download. But if you want the full game, you apparently need to download additional data in addition to having the game card inserted.

That's stupid. I can't believe we have this issue so early into its life cycle. Basically makes some games none collectable.

The same thing will probably happen on consoles.

RoyalFool

Banned
I don't really think this is much different than day one patches. I get it's a handheld but if your out the county just head to a Starbucks.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't really think this is much different than day one patches. I get it's a handheld but if your out the county just head to a Starbucks.

As long as you can play the complete title without the day one patch I'm fine. They have removed chunks of the base game with this game. Completely unacceptable.

This is getting out of hand. With 4K textures incoming on newer consoles, games like Forza 7 is already confirmed to be 100 GB. I promise you they won't release it on two discs. Please enjoy your 50-70 GB mandatory update if you bought it physically.

gafneo

Banned
NBA 2k is probably 13 gb. By the time you install the full game & all the dlc, it will be 38 gigs. Can't imagine last gen stuff going beyond 50 gigs. That game would be an MMO like Wold of Warcraft.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Some games require additional downloads/updates to be fully functional - thats nothing new. And yes you might have to increase your storage options in order to do that.

If some people dont wanna support this its fine....but lets not act like this is some weird exotic approach when people have been upgrading/expanding their storage options for over a decade now.

You can get a 128gb micro SD for like 25 bucks on every other Amazon sale.

sneas78

Banned
What a shit show. Come on Nintendo ..

Some games require additional downloads/updates to be fully functional - thats nothing new. And yes you might have to increase your storage options in order to do that.

If some people dont wanna support this its fine....but lets not act like this is some weird exotic approach when people have been upgrading/expanding their storage options for over a decade now.

Well exactly so why did they cheap out on internal memory. What a joke.

cw_sasuke

Well exactly so why did they cheap out on internal memory. What a joke.

Cheap out ? Because 2 of 50 games might need a bigger micro sd card everyone should have to pay extra for bigger storage flash memory ? I dont think so. Unless you think a Switch for 50 bucks more and 128gb of internal memory would be a better solution.

Gamezone

Gold Member

When parts of the base game is missing, that's different.

ISee

Not the end of the world, but that's a stupid move for a 'cartridge' based console. You should have thought about that more earlie Nintendo and have already a way to produce 64 GB flash cartridges.

duckroll

Put the game on 64GB game cartridges u cheap bastards.

Do you want 80 dollar games?

Cheap out ? Because 2 of 50 games might need a bigger micro sd card everyone should have to pay extra for bigger storage flash memory ? I dont think so. Unless you think a Switch for 50 bucks more and 128gb of internal memory would be a better solution.

Considering how much people are willing to pay for the Switch as it is, actually, that's a fine solution.

sneas78

Banned
Hey they are the ones with their billions . I'm an average joe ... Put the games on 64GB game cartridges you cheap bastards.
Even if they had doubled the internal storage, this would have been an issue eventually. And it's honestly not rational to expect Nintendo to put in more than 64 GB for $299.

Yes it would Have. However on a PS4 Xbox.. you get 500GB to begin with ..

Hey they are the ones with their billions . I'm an average joe ... Put the games on 64GB game cartridges you cheap bastards.

Those corporations are not going to eat the cost of 64 GB cartridges. The consumer will and these companies are well aware that most people won't spend $80+ for a game up-front (this is why DLC exists, in hopes some customers will pay that much or more over time). You won't see any pubs going for 64 GB carts until they are much cheaper to produce.

Remember multi-disc games? This is like that, only you already own the other discs. And they're re-writable! I don't really mind this at all.

This is a good point actually. If someone wanted to they could buy a 16GB SD Card just for this game and preserve it with the cart for years. No need to ever redownload or worry about servers. And for only $8-$10 for a 16GB. Same as a Nintendo tax for a 32GB card might be. They should put a Micro SD card holder spot inside the game case.

cw_sasuke

When parts of the base game is missing, that's different.

Well then you expand for system for 20 bucks and you are good with it ? Honestly thats like complaining about not being able to use the coop and multiplayer mode in every console game because you arent willing to pay for XBL or PS+.

People have had to pay up or expand their options in some way or the other to be able to use everything games have to offer for years now....but we are gonna cry foul now because a portable system might require additional storage to handle +30/40gb games ?

This was always going to be the case. cant. blame the devs for using every feature the console has to offer to get their games running on it. This might change down the line when bigger cards are less expensive and more available....and/or the team manage to get the data down for the Switch version. But as of now thats whats necessary if you want the full 2K experience on Switch in 2017.

Shiggy

This is a good point actually. If someone wanted to they could buy a 16GB SD Card just for this game and preserve it with the cart for years. No need to ever redownload or worry about servers. And for only $8 for a 16GB. Less than a Nintendo tax might be. They should put a Micro SD card slot inside the game case.

Does the SD card data work on other Switches or just the one it was downloaded to?

Directly comparing the flash storage of a hybrid device to a hard drive on a stationary console doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If the Switch were a traditional home console device that forced every software title to be fully installed, you'd have a point.

Fredrik

And that's why this is wrong. So speak up.
I totally agree. The whole point buying physical games is that you don't need any extra storage or internet connections or whatever, you buy the console and insert the card and play. And this way of thinking by the publishers will spread to games that don't need 32GB cards too. Within a year someone will have gone for a 4GB card just to save costs.

duckroll

I totally agree. The whole point buying physical games is that you don't need any extra storage or internet connections or whatever, you buy the console and insert the card and play. And this way of thinking by the publishers will spread to games that don't need 32GB cards too. Within a year someone will have gone for a 4GB card just to save costs.

If companies are cheaping out on cards and charging the same price, they should be (and are being) called out on it. That's what this entire thread is about. The solution is not to go "time for 64gb cards" right now because that will obviously result in 80 dollar games.

sneas78

Banned
No, that's why I'm happy to support digital distribution and any means which pushes the burden of space away from physical manufacturing.
And you are still in the same boat .. you either delete a few games to make room for one huge game.. because your not going to be able to transfer the game to your pc.. and later re download the game again. I'm digital too. Same problem.

And you are still in the same boat .. you either delete a few games to make room for one huge game.. because your not going to be able to transfer the game to your pc.. and later re download the game again. I'm digital too. Same problem.

Or you buy one or two large microSD cards and that problem goes away for a very long time. I mean, when my PS4 hard drive ran out of space, I bought an external one. And that thing cost a whole lot more than a couple microSD cards will.

I really don't know if patch data is transferable between Switch systems or if it's tied to accounts/systems.

Well hopefully the cart will just recognize the patch data on the installed microsd card and be good to go no matter the account or system. I don't see why it would be tied to a system but we'll see. If that's the case I would say this situation isn't ideal but it's not terrible either.

Bottom line is just keep your data I guess. Whether it's a bigger card with multiple games, or you get a small card for one game. So you're keeping the data on 2 cards instead of one. Not too much different tbh.

duckroll

Not being able to backup game data is a huge flaw in the Switch OS. It is something that needs to be addressed and will hopefully be before larger games come out later in the system lifespan. MicroSD prices will also continue to go down, making expandable space cheaper. These are solvable problems. Asking for 64gb cards now is not a solvable problem. In future there will absolutely before 64gb cards if they are required, simply because memory cost goes down over time.

I'm absolutely not in the same boat because I had a Switch since day one, and I still don't need a MicroSD card. More than half my games are digital.

Fredrik

If companies are cheaping out on cards and charging the same price, they should be (and are being) called out on it. That's what this entire thread is about. The solution is not to go "time for 64gb cards" right now because that will obviously result in 80 dollar games.
No problem, then go with $80 for the physical complete games, that's what we payed for SNES games anyway. And go with the usual $60 for the digital purchases. Getting half a game on the card and the rest as a download code is not ideal even if the price is lower.

Last I checked all PS4 and Xbox games require a mandatory full game download regardless if its a physical disc or not. Switch games dont/didn't until this and even then we still dont know full details. Also PS4/XBox games on average are over 50gb with more and more games pushing the 100gb mark. That's literally only 5 games available to put on your hard drive. Majority of switch games are less than 10gb. DQ Heroes 1+2 is 32GB and as long as you have a physical version you didn't need to worry about Switches internal memory at all.

Also to the people okay with $80 games. You are an outlier. To the average consumer they see Switch game $80 compared to $60 on PS4/Xbone they'll scoff and walk away from Switch. $80 game would be DoA.

No problem, then go with $80 for the physical complete games, that's what we payed for SNES games anyway. And go with the usual $60 for the digital purchases. Getting half a game on the card and the rest as a download code is not ideal even if the price is lower.

I'll take the complete disc/chart for $80. Give me the option.

Guys. Come on. You and a handful of other consumers aren't going to be enough for publishers to make this a viable part of their strategy. Heck, there are some games I'd gladly pay $100 for, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for a publisher to release a game at that price point. And until larger carts are cheaper to produce, you're just not going to see many, if any companies use them. Period.

ISee

Do you want 80 dollar games?

From a "I want my physical cartridge games still work in 20 years" perspective, once the online service is gone (maybe). Sure, I'm willing to pay a bit extra for the one-two games per year that need more then 32GB of storage.

From a "I want my physical cartridge games still work in 20 years" perspective, once the online service is gone (maybe). Sure, I'm willing to pay a bit extra for the one-two games per year that need more then 32GB of storage.

But why not just keep the download data on a Micro SD and keep 2 physical cards instead of one? It won't be anymore expensive than the $80 and you never have to redownload. You'll have all the data right there in physical form.

Gamezone

Gold Member

For some reason people only complain about this with PC games that have Denuvo.

13ruce

Banned
What the fuck this is dumb just make bigger cards.

What if i want to play my game 15 years later? I will just use a emulator then if i own the game card still.

Top Bottom