• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

Yeah the camera stuff is there for devs; might as well leave it but don't force up the cost. I liked the face invaders game that game with launch. Others might do similar fun things.

My hopes for the retail wars over 3DS are that:
a) Price drops to £149
b) An adapter is included (even if the wee sitting thing isn't)

But this all depends on demand. At the moment the XL is far too expensive compared to the normal 3DS - its bonkers pricing atm.

Cameras still the same shitty quality?
Even if resolution were higher the tiny size means the capture no light which is more why the image quality is bad.

But this all depends on demand. At the moment the XL is far too expensive compared to the normal 3DS - its bonkers pricing atm.
DSi didn't really drop from 1.5*DSLite despite little demand (demand only picked up when DS Lite seemed to go out of production). Wholesale costs limit the amount you can go down.

Given this is 1.4*3DS it might be different.

Rich!

I have a question:

We know that the 3DS XL is matte - but is the screen glossy? One thing I can't stand about the 3DS is just how goddamn shiny the screen is - reflections are everywhere if you're in light, and it really does break the 3D effect sometimes.

I can't actually remember if the DSi XL screen was glossy or matte. I'm thinking it was matte, but I could be wrong.

It's been about three years for me, yeah. Completely forgotten.

The top screen of the 3DS original is 3538.944mm squared. The 3DS XL top screen is 6767.064mm squared. If we add 90% to the 3DS original square area, we get 6723.9936mm squared. Rounded up, it's basically the 3DS XL screen area, give or take an additional 40 square mm.

Shiggy

I have a question:

We know that the 3DS XL is matte - but is the screen glossy? One thing I can't stand about the 3DS is just how goddamn shiny the screen is - reflections are everywhere if you're in light, and it really does break the 3D effect sometimes.

I can't actually remember if the DSi XL screen was glossy or matte. I'm thinking it was matte, but I could be wrong.

All my Nintendo screens are glossy. Actually, which device doesn't use glossy screens nowadays?

Curufinwe

Yeah the camera stuff is there for devs; might as well leave it but don't force up the cost. I liked the face invaders game that game with launch. Others might do similar fun things.

a) Price drops to £149

$30 more is not bonkers.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ok Nintendo, take some notes.

3ds-xl-blue.png

3ds-xl-red.png

3ds-xl-yellow.png

This is how you do launch colors. You used to know that, but I don't know what happened.

Well now you've gotten me to cancel my preorder and wait for new colours. Damn, thanks.

Negator

I'll swap my old 3DS for this new one, if I like how the games look on it.

Also depends on how much trade-in value I can get for my old 3DS

Rich!

$30 more is not bonkers.

Did you not read the post, or did you totally ignore the £ in it? It's not $30 more. We live in the UK. We don't use dollars.

It's £179.99 on amazon, which is £60 more than the 3DS pricing of £119.99. That's far more than $30 more. In dollars, it's actually $93.

So, the $30 difference you quoted is actually near enough a hundred dollars extra if we go by the price difference here in the UK. Bonkers? Of fucking course it is.

lachesis

Can't believe they won't include AC Adapter.
I understand if they won't include the cradle, for sure - but at least make it chargeable via USB! :(

Anyhow, this seem to be much more comfortable to hold - it used get pretty painful after long session... I wonder if this mean the death of Circle Pad Pro compatible games in the future...?

not sure how to feel about this, its definitely ugly though. Why would they bring back the cheap looking colored top with matte black combo, it did not look good on DSLite. Anyone else think the screen sizes and form factor are a bit over kill? Sure Vita still has a bigger screen but its a completely different design and I think this thing is going to be way too big. Also since the screen resolution is the same I imagine games are going to look pretty crappy, especially the DS games. I wonder if Amazon US will actually sell 3DS's now lol.

So, the $30 difference you quoted is actually near enough a hundred dollars extra if we go by the price difference here in the UK. Bonkers? Of fucking course it is.

Blame Londons extra disposable income because politicians were lazy and couldn't be arsed just reducing the cost of living and improving city wide transport systems. The money left over from their home costs means these sort of prices are achievable.

The rest of us have to pay more; as do Londoners who are on the minimum side of the wage as they usually have next to no disposable income.

Hopefully it gets pushed down.

TriGen

I'll swap my old 3DS for this new one, if I like how the games look on it.

Also depends on how much trade-in value I can get for my old 3DS

Yeah I'm tempted as well, I'm just not sure how much trade-in value the 3DS will have. I'm getting a Wii U at launch this year and will get the next Xbox, and PS when they come out as well. I always save for hardware launches and I hate the thought of spending too much on an XL when I already have a system that plays the games (I've never bought a revision of any console ever, that's always been my rule, buying extra consoles is okay but revisions are a waste of money). There needs to be a good trade-in deal or I won't bite, even though some of these games seem like a bigger screen would really help.

It worked for the DSi XL.

I never played on the DSi XL so I really can't say much. I did just go through the reviews for the DSi XL on Amazon, and the resolution did not seem like much of an issue for people. One thing I do like about having a bigger screen is that I can hold it further away. So maybe it won't be an issue.

I never played on the DSi XL so I really can't say much. I did just go through the reviews for the DSi XL on Amazon, and the resolution did not seem like much of an issue for people. One thing I do like about having a bigger screen is that I can hold it further away. So maybe it won't be an issue.

I never had an issue with DS games on the XL but then again most of those were 2D sprites, I don't know if with most of these games being 3D how the games will hold up being stretched, especially with some games not having much if an AA.

Eric C

Yeah, many people really like the screens on the DSi XL.

The DSi XL has 76 pixels per inch

3DS XL has 96 ppi ...that's comparable to the regular DSi's 98 ppi or the GBA's 97 ppi

Ragus

Banned
How do you think, when will we get first impression videos/aricles from major gaming webistes?

I'm so curious about the screen quality and build quality.

Yeah, many people really like the screens on the DSi XL.

The DSi XL has 76 pixels per inch

3DS XL has 96 ppi ...that's comparable to the regular DSi's 98 ppi or the GBA's 97 ppi

Thanks for the info, it might not actually be as bad as I thought.

How do you think, when will we get first impression videos/aricles from major gaming webistes?

I'm so curious about the screen quality and build quality.

The only thing I am curious about is the screen quality, the build materials will likely be identical to the DSiXL. My launch 3DS screen is way brighter and clearer then the Zelda bundle I also own and it would be criminal to make these bigger screens look as bad as the new 3DS screens.

Mrbob

Yuck, those colors suck for NA launch. I just realized we aren't getting the white 3DSXL? What's with the two tone fascination? Looks like cheap toy garbage. Guess I'll be waiting, hopefully NoA doesn't drag their feet on more colors like I expect them to do.

jgkspsx

Those all look great to me. I just don't like the two tones with those particular tones.

I think they want black for the inner bezel for contrast. Dunno what the white one's excuse is.

Is it possible to copy the activity log to your computer (via the SD card?), sell the 3DS, get another one later (i.e. the 3DS XL) and copy the activity log back to the 3DS XL?
I am an ambassador, but played through most that was interesting, so I'm actually thinking about selling my 3DS with the ambassador games and then getting the 3DS XL in a month.
The only thing I actually really care about are all the stats though :/

Yuck, those colors suck for NA launch. I just realized we aren't getting the white 3DSXL? What's with the two tone fascination? Looks like cheap toy garbage. Guess I'll be waiting, hopefully NoA doesn't drag their feet on more colors like I expect them to do.

There will probably be a new one in time for Christmas, if the initial batch sells well. So, it may be a few months.

Rich!

Oh god. Dilemma.

Do I carry on playing through my 3 heart run of OOT 3D (at forest temple right now) and finish it likely this weekend, or do I wait until the end of july when I'll have my XL?

Decisions, decisions.

Link83

a) Price drops to £149

Did you not read the post, or did you totally ignore the £ in it? It's not $30 more. We live in the UK. We don't use dollars.

It's £179.99 on amazon, which is £60 more than the 3DS pricing of £119.99. That's far more than $30 more. In dollars, it's actually $93.

Completely agree, in the UK I think a £159.99 pricepoint would be fair, but the current £179.99 is just too much.

For comparison:-
USA - $199.00 | ¥16,005 | €158.24 | £127.68 (Includes AC Adapter)
JPN - $235.00 | ¥18,900 | €186.87 | £150.77 (No AC Adapter)
EUR - $251.50 | ¥20,227 | €199.99 | £161.36 (No AC Adapter)
UK - $280.54 | ¥22,563 | €223.09 | £179.99 (No AC Adapter)

So the 3DS XL is cheapest in the USA, and that includes the AC Adapter :/ The pricing just makes no sense.

Rich!

So the 3DS XL is cheapest in the USA, and that includes the AC Adaptor :/ The pricing just makes no sense.

Well, the current VAT rate is 20% over here. £127.68 is what the USA price is converted to GBP, like you said. With VAT, it's £153.22 - which would imply a £159.99 price point...

...so why the hell are we paying an extra £20 minimum over that price, when there's not even an AC adapter in the box? It's because Nintendo and our retailers are greedy fucking bastards.

I would import a USA unit, but it'd end up being roughly the same amount after shipping, and it wouldn't work with any of my UK games.

Trike

There will probably be a new one in time for Christmas, if the initial batch sells well. So, it may be a few months.

Considering Nintendo has had a special (3)DS system during Christmas for the past few years, I think it is safe to say there will be one regardless. Probably bundled with NSMB2.

madmackem

not to mention the cost of a ac adapter to even use the thing. This has got to be the most fucked up thing in a long time, and i see nothing is being made of it by the games media because usa gets an adapter in the box.

Banned
They're not really THAT "Fisher price", though I'd need to see them in person. It does give that feel though, that they're only thinking of kids in the US and not people who might want something that looks "mature". Nintendo loves putting out more colors though, and at worst it's not like the 3DS launch with that awful blue and one of the worst blacks I've ever seen.
You shut your mouth about my sexy Cosmo black 3DS! *Cries in corner while petting his 3DS "it's okay...he didn't mean it"*

Considering Nintendo has had a special (3)DS system during Christmas for the past few years, I think it is safe to say there will be one regardless. Probably bundled with NSMB2.

ok then THAT will be the one i buy... i waited this long to get a 3DS, a few more months won't kill me!

Chopper

Completely agree, in the UK I think a £159.99 pricepoint would be fair, but the current £179.99 is just too much.

For comparison:-
JPN - $235.00| ¥18,900 | €186.87 | £150.77 (No AC Adapter)

So the 3DS XL is cheapest in the USA, and that includes the AC Adapter :/ The pricing just makes no sense.
These numbers have made me angry enough to send a shitty email to Nintendo about their rubbish pricing policies. Will be interesting to hear their excuses. I explicitly asked them not to mention exchange rates and tax in the reply, cos those excuses are not good enough.

slit

not to mention the cost of a ac adapter to even use the thing. This has got to be the most fucked up thing in a long time, and i see nothing is being made of it by the games media because usa gets an adapter in the box.

Well of course. That's why they did it. USA is number 1. Nothing else matters.

Bumhead

Banned

Yep, and it makes me a little nervous regarding potential Wii U pricing.

These numbers have made me angry enough to send a shitty email to Nintendo about their rubbish pricing policies. Will be interesting to hear their excuses. I explicitly asked them not to mention exchange rates and tax in the reply, cos those excuses are not good enough.

All companies treat the UK the same. US gets it so cheap because its so big and widespread; there are no areas which are so productive and large that you can just sell to them (UK/EU capitals) - you need to sell everywhere.

UK has its own problem. London has caused inflation on a lot of goods. You can sell there at a high mark up just fine; rest of the country balances out with 'medium' demand at that price.

Its a complete bitch. Wonder if it explains NoA's poorer import speeds...

dose

JPN - $235.00| ¥18,900 | €186.87 | £150.77 (No AC Adapter)

Cool comparison, and needs quoting many times. This makes no sense whatsoever. Well done Nintendo, well done. Along with the amazing price there's no adaptor, crap colour choice and it's (still) region locked. I'm out.

Top Bottom