• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

I guess I'm going with the blue in the USA then since I got the red 3DS last year. I wish it was the blue like the first DSi, which was beautiful.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We will. ASDA and Tesco will have their prices next week, going by a memo I saw earlier on. It's not going to be a big focus for them, but it'll drive the prices down - just like the 3DS did originally.

Remember, it ended up with £50 being knocked off the original listing price by the time it launched due to the supermarkets battling against eachother - and amazon matched those prices.

Yeah, I think it'll happen this time too. Seriously, £180 is too fucking much, Amazon went crazy with the pricing. But, as you said, prices will go down surely. And so, 3DS XL will be a success in UK too!!! XD

Probably, at the end of the day, it'll be £155-160

Chopper

Cool comparison, and needs quoting many times. This makes no sense whatsoever. Well done Nintendo, well done. Along with the amazing price there's no adaptor, crap colour choice and it's (still) region locked. I'm out.
I quoted those figures in my email to Nintendo. The inflated UK price is too ridiculous to ignore. I honestly don't understand how they can justify it when Shibata clearly and specifically spoke about the compromise of not including the charger to keep the price down. If I get fobbed off with "Nintendo do not set a price for their products..." or "fluctuations in exchange rates and current tax levels..." I'm gonna be pissed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm going with the blue in the USA then since I got the red 3DS last year. I wish it was the blue like the first DSi, which was beautiful.
The blue DSi is my favorite looking handheld ever, but I think that shade of blue wouldn't look right on the 3DS XL design. I'm starting to warm up to the blue XL, though I'd much rather have the silver/black one.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't see there being a UK retail price war on this.

It's a premium addition to the 3DS line... the 3DS still exists and retailers are going to charge what they can get away with.

Were there price wars for the DSi XL? Last I checked the DSi XL is still £150 in stores.

milanbaros

Member?
Completely agree, in the UK I think a £159.99 pricepoint would be fair, but the current £179.99 is just too much.

For comparison:-
USA - $199.00 | ¥16,005 | €158.24 | £127.68 (Includes AC Adapter)
JPN - $235.00 | ¥18,900 | €186.87 | £150.77 (No AC Adapter)
EUR - $251.50 | ¥20,227 | €199.99 | £161.36 (No AC Adapter)
UK - $280.54 | ¥22,563 | €223.09 | £179.99 (No AC Adapter)

So the 3DS XL is cheapest in the USA, and that includes the AC Adapter :/ The pricing just makes no sense.

Why haven't you at least included VAT for UK and Eurozone?

gwarm01

When people say the UK version doesn't include an AC adaptor.. do they mean just not a traditional one? Is there at least a charge cradle or something? There's no tucking way they would ship it without a method of charging the damn thing.

fernoca

I quoted those figures in my email to Nintendo. The inflated UK price is too ridiculous to ignore. I honestly don't understand how they can justify it when Shibata clearly and specifically spoke about the compromise of not including the charger to keep the price down. If I get fobbed off with "Nintendo do not set a price for their products..." or "fluctuations in exchange rates and current tax levels..." I'm gonna be pissed.
Better get pissed already, because that's probably the response you'll get; as that's what they said already. :p

Seeing some of the prices...
Play.com: £179.99
ShopTo: £179.84 (says recommended retail price is £199)
Zavvi / The Hut: £209.95 (says recommended price is £249.99)

...and some of the excuses, is like Nintendo sais something like "price this between X and Y amount"; and some are obviously going for the higher price. Until others join and with lowered prices; those will stay high.

When people say the UK version doesn't include an AC adaptor.. do they mean just not a traditional one? Is there at least a charge cradle or something? There's no tucking way they would ship it without a method of charging the damn thing.
No charger/cradle/anything. Sold separately.
There's the expectation I guess that most of the early buyers will be upgrading, and since the charger is the same as the 3DS, DSi, DSi XL those will use that one instead.

And that others could just grab one cable "for cheap" too. Seems of the usual experiment more than anything; seeing how it includes one in the US.

Vidiot

I might just pick one of these up around the holidays if I can find a good deal. I'll let my little bro use (not have) my original 3DS and we can play some Resident Evil Mercenaries/Revelations, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, NSMB2, eventually Smash Bros and whatever else the future holds. Like I said, not a day one but if a good deal comes my way I just might go for it. Sounds like a good deal to me. :)

Mpl90

I don't see there being a UK retail price war on this.

It's a premium addition to the 3DS line... the 3DS still exists and retailers are going to charge what they can get away with.

Were there price wars for the DSi XL? Last I checked the DSi XL is still £150 in stores.

It could still be a premium addition, and not the new default model, but I don't think it'd be convenient such a price, since retailers wouldn't sell so much of it, especially considering the actual economic situation right now. Probably, ASDA and Tesco and the other supermarkets will drive the price down, and it'll be £160.

Rich!

Look at the box on amazon. It explicitly states there's no AC adapter included. You'll need to buy one separately.

Link83

Why haven't you at least included VAT for UK and Eurozone?
I'm not sure what you mean? The UK and European prices I quoted already include VAT, and I said I could understand a UK price of £159.99 (When including VAT)

The USA prices dont include sales tax, but thats standard practice over there since it varies by state. Some states dont even charge sales tax, and even if I did take sales tax into account (Apparently the average is 6%?) it still doesn't explain the price difference and no AC Adapter.

Utako

Banned
I would like to remind everyone what the DS Lite's (the first DS revision) battery life was like:

Battery: Lithium ion battery delivering from 15 to 19 hours of play on a three-hour charge; power-saving sleep mode; AC adapter.

RPGCrazied

Is there a chance it can be a glossy finish? From the very few pics and video, its hard to tell. The inside does look matte, but the rest?

I guess there is no more pictures or videos of it anywhere? Guess we will have to wait until next month when it launches in EU.

fernoca

Nothing Nintendo can do about that. Battery tech just hasn't progressed much.
Yep and the Nintendo 3Ds is doing way more stuff too.
Can also be seen on how the updates to the DSlite (DSi and DSiXL) the battery didn't improved a lot.
•DS Lite - 15 to 19 hours
•DSi XL/LL - 13 to 17 hours
•DSi - 9 to 14 hours

Heck, an XL with max brightness and everything lasted me like 4-5 hours top. Hence why I ended getting an USB charger/cable. :p

I would like to remind everyone what the DS Lite's (the first DS revision) battery life was like:

What takes the most battery power in a handheld is the backlight. The 3D screen of the 3DS requires a brighter light because only half the light is visible to each eye, and the XL's larger screens will require more or larger lights. Not to mention the more powerful CPU/GPU. So these devices need a lot more power than the DS Lite. The only way to improve battery life significantly at this point, would be to make the device even larger to hold a larger battery.

The battery probably is quite a bit higher capacity, but mostly being canceled out by having nearly double the screen to light up.
chrislowe said:
What i can see, the 3ds screen doesnt use double the amount of light.
Its a parallaxbarrier screen.
When it's in 3D mode it turns brighter, but it's not immediately apparent because each eye is then only seeing half the pixels at a given time.

Eric C

What takes the most battery power in a handheld is the backlight. The 3D screen of the 3DS requires a brighter light because only half the light is visible to each eye, and the XL's larger screens will require more or larger lights. Not to mention the more powerful CPU/GPU. So these devices need a lot more power than the DS Lite. The only way to improve battery life significantly at this point, would be to make the device even larger to hold a larger battery.

OLED

but I don't know if Sharp can make these 3D screens with OLEDs

When you turn the 3D mode on you can see backlight brightness change... It's not immediately noticeable because Nintendo did a good job matching the 2D and 3D brightness levels. Try it a few times and see for yourself.

It basically uses 2x as much backlight in 3D mode... If it didn't we'd get a similar dim, dark 3D that people complain about at some movie theaters.

Directly from Nintendo:

IwataAsks said:
Umezu: What eats more electricity than anything in a handheld gaming device is the LCD backlight.

Iwata: Nintendo 3DS has two of those—and the upper one is for 3D.

Umezu: Right. And the 3D one has to delivery separate images to the left and right eyes. Which means that in 3D the amount of light delivered to each eye is halved. In order to make it look just as bright as usual, you have to increase the brightness of the backlight, which increases the power used by even more.

Iwata: Choosing 3D led to the need to double the graphics and increase the brightness of the backlight, so there must have been a lot of challenges with regard to power.

Umezu: I knew from the very start that the LCDs would require lots of power...

Really like the design, white looks great and very wii u tablet like. Hope the 3ds was just a blip in Nintendos usually top notch build quality, that thing didn't have a nice feel about it.

AC adapter missing is frankly odd, surely they could of bundled a USB power lead?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Is there a chance it can be a glossy finish? From the very few pics and video, its hard to tell. The inside does look matte, but the rest?
Inside should be matte, just like the dsiXL. The problem with the original 3ds was that it had a homogeneous upper half faceplate, psp style. The part located over the screen had to be glossy for better transparency, which imposed the glossiness to the entire surface. The 3dsXL does not seem to be designed that way.

Yep and the Nintendo 3Ds is doing way more stuff too.
Can also be seen on how the updates to the DSlite (DSi and DSiXL) the battery didn't improved a lot.
•DS Lite - 15 to 19 hours
•DSi XL/LL - 13 to 17 hours
•DSi - 9 to 14 hours

Heck, an XL with max brightness and everything lasted me like 4-5 hours top. Hence why I ended getting an USB charger/cable. :p
Those numbers are a 'joke'; I have a DSi with a healthy battery, at at a reasonable brightness for day it won't even last 3 hours. 3DS battery min life of 6 hours for DS games is just superb.

Tabris

Why are there no blue and red iPhones and iPads? This is why a handheld game console will always be considered a "toy" instead of an electronic device. Argh, this really annoys me as there's some games I really want to play on 3DS but I'm not going to spend the money on an ugly device. Yes, design is an important factor on whether I buy a device or not.

All they had to do is include the white version, to go along with my white DS Lite (don't get me started on DSIXL not being available in any "non-toy" colours).

Guess I'm waiting for 3DSi in a year.

madmackem

Yeah, I think it'll happen this time too. Seriously, £180 is too fucking much, Amazon went crazy with the pricing. But, as you said, prices will go down surely. And so, 3DS XL will be a success in UK too!!! XD

Probably, at the end of the day, it'll be £155-160

I really cant see it selling to be honest, the ds crowd didnt jump over to 3ds and a part of that crowd has been lost to ios. I just think expensive hardware and games mean they wont see this selling massively.

Bgamer90

Banned
Heh, I'm now more okay with the Red. Really wish the US got the silver one or the white one though.

I was looking at my Street Fighter fight stick (which is also red and black) and the shades of red and black on it seem similar to how they will look on the red and black 3DS XL.

So yeah, looks like I'll be getting the red (especially since the blue is just terrible imo).

dsk1210

The resolution is going to look really poor on a screen that size, still not enough good games for me to even consider a 3ds yet.

Shame really.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why are there no blue and red iPhones and iPads? This is why a handheld game console will always be considered a "toy" instead of an electronic device. Argh, this really annoys me as there's some games I really want to play on 3DS but I'm not going to spend the money on an ugly device. Yes, design is an important factor on whether I buy a device or not.

All they had to do is include the white version, to go along with my white DS Lite (don't get me started on DSIXL not being available in any "non-toy" colours).

Guess I'm waiting for 3DSi in a year.

You can make your iPhone red or blue, but yeah, I definitely get where you are coming from and pretty much agree.

Psi

I get the feeling that NoA will launch white and black XLs along with the WiiU for hype. So I'm just going to wait for the holidays and see before buying anything.

Mpl90

At least, normal 3DS price dropped a bit through Amazon, and considering other retailers should adequate, it should have better sales since XL sales, without counting XL sales themselves.

P.S. Strangely, New Art Academy preorders haven't started yet. I expect good things from it, especially in UK, where it did pretty great, in the end.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lots of crow eaten I see.
And I guess black around the top 3D screen wasn't necessary as Nintendo had previously stated though most of us knew that was bunk.

I'm buying a NA XL as soon as silver or an all white version is available.
Going to be hard to resist until then, c'mon holiday bundles!

Lots of crow eaten I see.
And I guess black around the top 3D screen wasn't necessary as Nintendo had previously stated though most of us knew that was bunk.

I'm buying a NA XL as soon as silver or an all white version is available.
Going to be hard to resist until then, c'mon holiday bundles!

They probably realized that it didn't matter against a white background either but any other colors besides those two would affect the 3D effect.

Eusis

They probably realized that it didn't matter against a white background either but any other colors besides those two would affect the 3D effect.
Alternatively, it's BETTER against black but not ESSENTIAL. Though you may be right anyway, if it's going to be non-black then white may be the second best choice.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Completely agree, in the UK I think a £159.99 pricepoint would be fair, but the current £179.99 is just too much.

For comparison:-
USA - $199.00 | ¥16,005 | €158.24 | £127.68 (Includes AC Adapter)
JPN - $235.00 | ¥18,900 | €186.87 | £150.77 (No AC Adapter)
EUR - $251.50 | ¥20,227 | €199.99 | £161.36 (No AC Adapter)
UK - $280.54 | ¥22,563 | €223.09 | £179.99 (No AC Adapter)

So the 3DS XL is cheapest in the USA, and that includes the AC Adapter :/ The pricing just makes no sense.

NoA wins!? :O

Eusis

It's probably worth keeping in mind each of those price points is under 200 for their respective regions. They'd probably charge more in the US if it weren't for the psychological effect, and would keep the price the same if the USD were stronger.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Alternatively, it's BETTER against black but not ESSENTIAL. Though you may be right anyway, if it's going to be non-black then white may be the second best choice.
People have stickered up the borders of the top screen with all sorts of colors and designs. It doesn't affect the 3D at all.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They had a chance to redeem themselves with this, but instead they've just confirmed they ain't got a clue.

I won't say epic fail thou, this is the XL that nobody but a few buys, I'll wait to their next revision

Eusis

People have stickered up the borders of the top screen with all sorts of colors and designs. It doesn't affect the 3D at all.
I'm thinking it's easier for the eye to reconcile the edges where images may overlap being black as that's close to how the eyes naturally work. But I doubt it's something that makes a huge difference anyway, we're talking about the very edges of the screen afterall.

Top Bottom