• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

corn_fest

I don't get it. 90% of 3.02 is 2.718 so the screen would have to be 5.7 inches for it to be 90 % bigger wouldn't it? Or am I just incredibly stupid right now (I always sucked at math) and missing something obvious?
Both the width and height of the screen are increasing. Therefore, the total amount of area (width x height) is increased by 90%.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Huh, I didn't know the bottom was coloured, as well.

I thought it was just the outter top. I kinda like that red now.

cCar_3DS_Xl_pn.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nah, it't still not the same as for example DSi. I played Pokemon Black head to head on 3DS and DSi, and the colors still looked much worse on the 3DS, even after the update.

IMO the screen is just shitty.
That's odd because I checked copies of 999 side by side at the same scene and they were identical when previously they were very off.
Sure "power saving" was off?

That photo makes it look worse to me. :-\

Ah well, I'll buy it and just return it (or deal with it) if I don't like how it looks.

Why?
It's still pretty ugly in it's cheap-Chinese-piece-of-shit-knock-off kinda way but that picture really emphasises how much the bezel around the top screen has been reduced which is one of the main draws for me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Lol. One new pic of the "ugliest system ever" and suddenly everyone thinks its sexy. Never change, GAF. =P

Anyway, I hope the blue one is colored on the bottom like that, too. I already have a black and red DS Lite, but none that are blue. I'd like that.

Ragus

Banned
Huh, I didn't know the bottom was coloured, as well.

I thought it was just the outter top. I kinda like that red now.

cCar_3DS_Xl_pn.jpg

And how can anybody say that 3DS looks better? This is so sexy <3.

That's odd because I checked copies of 999 side by side at the same scene and they were identical when previously they were very off.
Sure "power saving" was off?

Yup, power saving is off. Now I compared the same scene in pokemon again. Maybe the colors are quite simmilar, but I've got to say, that DSi's brightness is simply better.

Raw64life

Looks great but with no second stick I'll wait for a redesign that includes it. If not for the fact that you can't sell your 3DS without losing all the data unless you transfer it to another 3DS I would've sold mine by now.

M3d10n

NoA wins!? :O

It comes with a cost: lazy eShop updates, terrible localization track record, etc.

Looks great but with no second stick I'll wait for a redesign that includes it. If not for the fact that you can't sell your 3DS without losing all the data unless you transfer it to another 3DS I would've sold mine by now.

Better sell it now, because I surely doubt Nintendo will put an IR port inside the console just to make an integrated the 2nd stick work.

Boney

Banned
Hate the dual color thingy, that's why I think white is the only good looking one.

I don't get it. 90% of 3.02 is 2.718 so the screen would have to be 5.7 inches for it to be 90 % bigger wouldn't it? Or am I just incredibly stupid right now (I always sucked at math) and missing something obvious?

30 x 30 = 90

hwy_61

Banned
Can't wait! I hope Amazon makes it available for pre-order. All DS systems end up being sold by a third party, and they're always like, $30 above MSRP.

Salsa

Am I the only one that absolutely hated the fact that the original 3DS had different inside colors for top and bottom?

hardware_blue.png

I swear it's the best thing about this revision, even if it's still just black.

Ragus

Banned
Am I the only one that absolutely hated the fact that the original 3DS had different inside colors for top and bottom?

hardware_blue.png

I swear it's the best thing about this revision, even if it's still just black.

I'm with you bro. For me, 3DS as a whole is the worst looking handheld of all time. Can't wait for the XL.

Boney

Banned

http://www.nintendo.com/images/3ds/home/hardware_blue.png[IMG]

I swear it's the best thing about this revision, even if it's still just black.[/QUOTE]

I actually like this but hate that it's entirely black on the inside now.

M3d10n

Nah, it't still not the same as for example DSi. I played Pokemon Black head to head on 3DS and DSi, and the colors still looked much worse on the 3DS, even after the update.

IMO the screen is just shitty.

You don't have power saving on, do you? It washes out the image on both 3DS and DS games and is useless IMO. I have a Lite and the colors are identical on both (with power saving off).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
if it does not come with the ac adapter can the user just charge via usb?
That's my guess. They can't seriously get away with not including a way to charge the device in the package. I'm guessing it'll be a small iPhone-like cable.

I mean, what are the alternatives?

Top Bottom