• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

DR2K

Banned
Yes, it's like a sandwitch. Color-black-Color

Well that's not too bad then. Might get the blue one.

Nintendo_DS.jpg

like playing with Samus' Gunship

dat hinge

Dat Dpad though has yet to be beaten on a Nintendo portable.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm getting one but I was really hoping that Nintendo was going to do a radical redesign, sort of like the change from the GBA to the GBA SP. As nice as the 3DSXL looks the design still seems archaic compared to most modern gadgets.

AJSousuke

Yes, it's like a sandwitch. Color-black-Color

So it comes down to sandwich vs cake then?

I still prefer my yummy cake.

But seriously guys, the ones that want to trade their 3ds for this should wait and see if this thing has the flaws from the OG corrected. It would suck to have a bigger scratched screen =/.

Eusis

No it didn't. They're both completely different.
That's equally wrong. It's the same style, but the GB Micro D-pad was constructed better. I'm thinking that clicky buttons simply work better for folding handhelds, given so far only the lite did mushy buttons/D-Pads of Nintendo handhelds. Though the Vita ended up beating Nintendo at their own game with clicky D-Pads, it's amazing how Sony went from a somewhat dumb design to the best one just by tweaking it a bit.
Expiring patents probably helped lots too.

abasm

I'm getting one but I was really hoping that Nintendo was going to do a radical redesign, sort of like the change from the GBA to the GBA SP. As nice as the 3DSXL looks the design still seems archaic compared to most modern gadgets.

Phones are highly public devices, and are held to higher standards of appearance. Game systems should be built for comfortable grip over long periods--ergonomics trump beauty. The 360 controller practically melts into your hands, but doesn't exactly look like a thing of beauty. The iPhone is sleek as hell, but also slippery and brittle. Nintendo handhelds are built to withstand drops from around waist-height.

So I say, let the Nintendium flow like wine!

Bullza2o

I love the DSi's D-pad. However, it's my sister's DSi and it's pink, so I have to stick with my DS Lite with broken hinge when I play outside the house :\

I hope this 3DS XL will have just as good a D-pad, or at least hopefully a 3DS revision will make us all happy (I assume DSi made everyone happy when it released).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I still like the DSphat. Rumble pack, paddle controller both made it worthwhile.
Aw yeah, dat paddle controller. Forgot all about that beast. More games needed to support that. Wasn't it just the two?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
just this morning i had become so angry at the helicopter stage in Gunstar Superheroes for gameboy micro that i had to finally utelize the finger claw technique AND IT WORKED. i finally beat the stage.

you do what you gotta do.
Most random reply I've ever gotten on a forum.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am worried about the scaling. Will wait until then to decide. Would be awesome if Nintendo packed a good, decent scaler or something so it doesn't look like shit,

Phones are highly public devices, and are held to higher standards of appearance. Game systems should be built for comfortable grip over long periods--ergonomics trump beauty. The 360 controller practically melts into your hands, but doesn't exactly look like a thing of beauty. The iPhone is sleek as hell, but also slippery and brittle. Nintendo handhelds are built to withstand drops from around waist-height.

So I say, let the Nintendium flow like wine!
What you're saying is true ergonomics and modern design don't have to be mutually exclusive. Nintendo is sticking with this design because they're comfortable with it and the clamshell is the ideal way to protect the screens.

It's not a terrible decision for them to make but I just don't think that the 3DSXL is going to change things for them much in the increasingly i-design centric west.
Best redesign ever, to me it was like a new console entirely. Difficult now though, the SP is still influential today - whats the thing 3DS needs that will make such a big change?

Difficult to say (for me). SP was the perfect portable console.
For a start the clamshell design has to go. Most people associate that with old flip phones today. I'm not sure what alternative would work better but a slider might not be a terrible idea, PSPGo notwithstanding.

Eric C

my main issue is the pixel density on this bad boy. I guess I will have to wait and see.

The 3DS XL at 96ppi is comparable to the pixel density of the GBA or the DSi
By my calculations... someone correct me if I made a mistake

GBA = 97 ppi
GBA Micro = 144 ppi
DS Lite =107 ppi
DSi = 98 ppi
DSi XL = 76 ppi
3DS = 132 ppi
3DS XL = 96 ppi

Compare that to the DSi XL's low ppi of only 76.

If the consoles are the exactly the same I don't see why they didn't just make the outer shell something that could clip on/off and sell better colors separately.

But I guess that market is still smoldering after Microsoft thoroughly razed it.

FyreWulff

If the consoles are the exactly the same I don't see why they didn't just make the outer shell something that could clip on/off and sell better colors separately.

After the GBA Micro and 360 faceplate markets going nowhere, it's basically pointless to engineer the console to be able to do it (it does have size considerations for the faceplate anchors)

Eusis

Just realized how much better Netflix will be on the XL. Cannot wait.
Then you end up using something like the Vita.

Admittedly, yeah, part of the problem is the small screen, but RESOLUTION is also a problem, and the Vita surpasses SD there.

Kokonoe

Banned

Admittedly, yeah, part of the problem is the small screen, but RESOLUTION is also a problem, and the Vita surpasses SD there.

Well, it's kinda nice that the DS is like a laptop and you can just set it down instead of holding it.

hwy_61

Banned

Oh, no doubt the Vita is leaps and bounds over the XL in that respect, but I was speaking personally, as I don't own a Vita, but will be buying an XL.

Eusis

Well, it's kinda nice that the DS is like a laptop and you can just set it down instead of holding it.
True, while the Vita has a cradle that's... what, $20?
Oh, no doubt the Vita is leaps and bounds over the XL in that respect, but I was speaking personally, as I don't own a Vita, but will be buying an XL.
Yeah, I can definitely understand as the only choice without a larger smartphone/tablet, but personally I've gotta have at least 480p or its equivalent.

Top Bottom