• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: Dragon Quest X Presentation (37min NOM NOM NOM)

BriBri

It was a reality check after watching all 37 mins that I can't import that damn thing:( Hopefully we'll see a translation of the Wii U version in 2013.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Go to ~34m53s after skipping through the dev talk for what appears to be the full CG intro, it's pretty cool, if a tad tame.

What are the best gameplay parts for those who watched all or most of it? Any very cool town showcases or encounters?

~13m42s has a glimpse of a nice looking open field and also shows the combat start, when you touch an enemy it's just like IX, it could have more enemies show up than what was visible before you got into combat mode, the on field enemy represents a group.

~16m40s has a nice looking city area with unique architecture and lots of green but then it cuts into wholly different bland indoor areas, maybe it's the customizable player housing stuff they're showing at that point, and you can fill it with decorations further.

Well, it looks like a proper MMO with some fun ideas and a nice art style, I'd try it if it came here with a reasonable price.

For such a long presentation it didn't really show much, just glimpses of the different features, not even a new lengthy trailer.

Rootbeer

Banned
dat Glow.

I knew he was Jesus all along.

It looks fun. But I'm only playing it on Wii U, so they'd better hurry up and get that released :3

Hex

Banned
Love Dragon Quest, and this looks fun and smooth but not fun enough to get a new system for.
Would be nice to see the Wii version make it over but as has been said I am not expecting to see it.

Rehynn

Well, that actually looks fun. I'll still wait for reviews and probably a price drop (on the Wii U version), I'm just not an MMO guy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Really going to be fascinating to see how this does in Japan.

watershed

Banned
Is anyone else reading that the kids free time has been canceled? I just saw a tweet and an article about it. I forget which site.

schuelma

Is anyone else reading that the kids free time has been canceled? I just saw a tweet and an article about it. I forget which site.

Yeah the latest Iwata Asks has something about kids time and one article says it was scrapped. I'm skeptical of that translation.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The last video I saw still advertised that but it was maybe a couple weeks ago. Why would they cancel it though, it's not like anyone who truly gets into it would be satisfied with just a couple hours a day, and they didn't even seem to be very convenient hours for anyone other than kids for the most part, though I don't know what time they usually get off work there so maybe it worked for adults too. It's a pretty novel idea that should ensure a decently populated game even while sales are slow, making more people enjoy it (and so subscribe) at least during those hours, I hope they don't cancel it and even actually get it worldwide.

gN7DF.jpg

schuelma

The last trailer I saw still advertised that but it was maybe a couple weeks ago. Why would they cancel it though, it's not like anyone who truly gets into it would be satisfied with just a couple hours a day, and they didn't even seem very convenient hours for anyone other than kids for the most part, though I don't know what time they usually get off work there so maybe it worked for them too.

I think it was a misreading of the translation of Iwata asks.

Effect

I'm getting a very strong feeling this could very well stay Japan only, even on the Wii U. The cost to localize and run could very well be to much for the return they might expect to get. Dragon Quest is not on the same level as Final Fantasy when it comes to the non-Japanese market and Square Enix has to know this. Dragon Quest IX was a success outside of Japan in part because of Nintendo's backing. To jump to a MMO after recent wide scale (even that's questionable) acceptance might not be a good idea. I will not be surprised if they don't release this outside of Japan. How well it does in Japan is still up in the air as well.

schuelma

I'm getting a very strong feeling this could very well stay Japan only, even on the Wii U. The cost to localize and run could very well be to much for the return they might expect to get. Dragon Quest is not on the same level as Final Fantasy when it comes to the non-Japanese market and Square Enix has to know this. Dragon Quest IX was a success outside of Japan in part because of Nintendo's backing. To jump to a MMO after recent wide scale (even that's questionable) acceptance might not be a good idea. I will not be surprised if they don't release this outside of Japan. How well it does in Japan is still up in the air as well.

Yeah depends on what kind of support Nintendo promised. Does seem like a huge proposition for the West.

Forever

Banned
I want to see how it looks on Wii U, because that's the only way I would ever try it.

Show us, Iwata!

Also show DQXI please, we know you're hiding it.

atbigelow

Looks solid, actually. I'm a little saddened by the framerate, but it seems mostly choppy in towns and such, which any WoW player has adjusted to. :)

I'm still confused a bit by the battle system. I couldn't tell if there was an auto-attack or not.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Am looking forward to trying this out. Cant wait to see what kind of day 1 MMO server issues will make history with this title lol

Maedhros

So... When DQ will return to be a traditional RPG series again? First I didn't like IX, then a game like FFXI... Which I hate too...

Boss Man

Reminds me so much of FFXI.

I'm telling you, Wii owners would do well to check this game out. I got so many years of enjoyment out of FFXI, it gave my PS2 purpose way after its time had ended.

Top Bottom