• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: Dragon Quest X Presentation (37min NOM NOM NOM)

watershed

Banned
Damn that opening cinematic is beautiful. Too bad it will be 4+ years if not next gen before we see a DQ game that looks anything close to that in real time.

BD1

Banned
Wasn't the idea of the Wii U version to serve as a path for owners to "upgrade" from the Wii version? My guess is if the game is successful, the Wii U version launch alongside an expansion.

I'd like to see the game in the US, but who knows. Maybe NOA will cover the heavy lifting in NA, like DQIX?

This looks fantastic, and the WiiU controller offers a lot of potential for MMO functions. I'm not a MMO guy at all though, and the monthly fee really is a bother.

They should feature Horii's hair as a quest boss, yikes.

Onesimos

The major nitpick for me is the lack of density shown. So much wide open space is not that much fun to me for an RPG.

The changing weather could be a nice addition if it affects the gameplay in any way like the day/night system does.

I would really like to see some dungeons. Hopefully there are dungeons.
Was the footage we saw in Dragon Quest X Direct from the beta and not from the finished product? I really like to see how the finished product is like including dungeons.

Aeana

Was the footage we saw in Dragon Quest X Direct from the beta and not from the finished product? I really like to see how the finished product is like including dungeons.
The game is out on Thursday. You're seeing final game footage.

rpmurphy

Yeah, what was shown is from the beta.

I don't know if I want to to avoid watching them or keep up with the releases to have a better start when it comes stateside (I hope). :(

Onesimos

Odd that the game will be released on a Thursday. I thought that numbered Dragon Quest games are released on a Saturday as to prevent young people from skipping school so they can buy the game.

Aeana

Odd that the game will be released on a Thursday. I thought that numbered Dragon Quest games are released on a Saturday as to prevent young people from skipping school so they can buy the game.
That's not really going to be as big of a problem with this game. It's not going to sell anywhere near a normal DQ game.

jerd

That's not really going to be as big of a problem with this game. It's not going to sell anywhere near a normal DQ game.

I've been hearing a lot of this. Why is this the case? I've never played a DQ game but I almost bought IX and I think this one looks interesting. Is it just because of the MMO format?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I've been hearing a lot of this. Why is this the case? I've never played a DQ game but I almost bought IX and I think this one looks interesting. Is it just because of the MMO format?

Yes. Having to pay to actually play the game is a huge huge difference. It will still do pretty well, but nothing like the usual DQ.

linko9

Yup, same happened with FF11. Of course, FF11 is the most profitable FF game, and SE are well aware of that. Hence DQ10.

Zee-Row

Banned
What role will the church play in this game now that you can save anywhere? The Church has always been the save point for Dragon Quest games.

Zee-Row

Banned
Churches are still used to revive AI allies, remove curses, and detoxify poison.

Hopefully its not crazy expensive , it seems like in MMOs things that cost 1000 gold in a single player RPG cost about 10x more in its MMO counterpart.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

Uh, it's summer vacation.

Aeana

Uh, it's summer vacation.
Well, that doesn't matter either, since the previous recommendation was made because both students and company workers were skipping to buy. DQ7 was released on a Saturday despite being released on August 26th.

Aeana

The people on the comments area of that stream are really stupid.
Watching this is just making me angry that I can't play it.

Zee-Row

Banned
This stream really makes me want the game. I hope it comes to the U.S. in some form , I love the Battle Theme also.

Forever

Banned
I'd like to give it a shot if they use a different pay model than they're doing in Japan. What are the odds that Nintendo only releases the Wii U version in NA?

Zee-Row

Banned
The thing I would change hopefully when it comes to the U.S. is to get rid of the ugly 8-Bit style menus and make the cool graphical ones like they did with Dragon Quest 8.

Aeana

The thing I would change hopefully when it comes to the U.S. is to get rid of the ugly 8-Bit style menus and make the cool graphical ones like they did with Dragon Quest 8.
You mean the super fast and efficient menus?
DQ8 NA's menus added so much loading and so much more work to item management.

BD1

Banned
Hmmm, watching this live stream makes me hope NCL cut some back room deal with SE to have NoA localize it for Wii U.

I doubt it though.

rpmurphy

If you can run past almost any enemy on the map, that's kind of silly.
Pushing seems to be a useful tactic, but looks a bit cheap.

Zee-Row

Banned

I honestly didn't think the loading was that bad at least compared to other PS2 RPG games. I just don't like boring plain text and like graphical representations of the items.

zashga

This game looks better than expected. I guess there's not much chance of the Wii version being localized, though. Maybe in a year or two, on Wii U...

Wait, Japanese DQ8 had fast menus? Those little loading times drove me a little crazy in the North American version.

I forgot that the release date is in early August, not July as was for Dragon Quest IX. I am unfamilar on when summer vacation starts in Japan.

It's currently summer vacation, at least for my students in Japan. That doesn't mean that much, as I'm sitting in the teachers' office right now watching my students play soccer and baseball outside in the blistering heat. Plenty of kids spend most of the summer at school, participating in clubs and extra classes. Many days during summer, something like half or more of the kids at school are present.

The kids who plan on being fishermen or working at a convenience store or ramen shop as a career don't have it as bad, but just about all the kids who have any sort of ambition spend most of their life at school during high school. They may not have the required six day school week anymore, but plenty of them go seven days a week. I have Japanese friends who were at school about 360 days out of the year when growing up.

Top Bottom