• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: Dragon Quest X Presentation (37min NOM NOM NOM)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is anyone on GAF even playing this POS? It's IP locked, it's import restricted, there's a monthly fee, it's a Wii game, and it's a MMO where the only other players will be Japanese. If you guys want to fap over streams, there's no need to have an OT.

Yes there are some of us here apparently playing this POS, one being myself included. :D

duckroll

Well, you could try reading a couple of posts in the thread. There are three people in here who are actually playing it so far.
There was not going to be an OT if nobody was playing.

Not like Time Travelers had an OT either. Just more proof that GAF doesn't give a shit about Japanese only games anymore. :)

DCharlie

Banned
Is anyone on GAF even playing this POS? It's IP locked, it's import restricted, there's a monthly fee, it's a Wii game, and it's a MMO where the only other players will be Japanese. If you guys want to fap over streams, there's no need to have an OT.

#sniff
#sniff
#sniiiiiiiiiiiiiff

do you smell that? that's the smell of my inevitably buying this on the way home and then finding an empty MMO world that i end up hating.

Wife expressed a mild interest in playing too.

Yes, i'm aware it's probably going to be complete garbage.
No, probably doesn't need an official OT

Aeana

The game seems to be fairly easy, and definitely possible to solo through the story, so at the very least, that part is most likely worth playing for.

Parakeetman

Are you a bad enough dude to make an OT?

I just really want to see Wii U footage myself.

I wouldnt trust myself to do any sort of OT lol. So far though am enjoying the experience, but what is killing me is using the vanilla AV cables. So went and ordered the component cables will arrive tomorrow and hopefully that should make things a little nicer.

duckroll

I wouldnt trust myself to do any sort of OT lol. So far though am enjoying the experience, but what is killing me is using the vanilla AV cables. So went and ordered the component cables will arrive tomorrow and hopefully that should make things a little nicer.

There's a rumor that if you keep playing a Wii on composite cables, you might go blind. I didn't test this myself, because I had component from the start. ^^;

Parakeetman

There's a rumor that if you keep playing a Wii on composite cables, you might go blind. I didn't test this myself, because I had component from the start. ^^;

Using the virtual boy back in 95 made me blind already~

Parakeetman

One thing I dont agree with is how they only allow you to do all the setup for the online mode after you beat the offline prologue part. Not to mention how long the damned prologue takes although while it was an enjoyable dragon quest experience, for people who want to buy the game and hop on with friends right away, the design choice does not allow for that.

Bad move personally.

DCharlie

Banned
o back to page three when everyone was watching the streams and read from there.

GAFFers watching and commenting on that Justin.TV stream isn't something that would fill me with confidence to be quite honest!

Not that it's really a factor - i'm in , it would appear. I guess i'm on tonight after work is done.

Q: Is there a server selection ? If so - are we all agreed on a particular server?

Parakeetman

GAFFers watching and commenting on that Justin.TV stream isn't something that would fill me with confidence to be quite honest!

Not that it's really a factor - i'm in , it would appear. I guess i'm on tonight after work is done.

Q: Is there a server selection ? If so - are we all agreed on a particular server?

Ill give you an update bout server selection. Just finished the 5 step process for online play.

Looks like we can select servers to play on. 10 to pick from, 4 at the bottom marked as solo play. Am guessing for folks who prefer to just not party and what not. Also server status in regards to server load is also listed. Side note says the obvious "please pick from a server that isnt crowded" lol Id agree with that since can imagine as exciting as it is to see lots of other players no idea how the lag will be. Will see in a bit. Currently selected a "normal" load server and will see how it is.

Isn't there a |OT| for this yet? WTF.

One wasnt made due to the game being IP blocked and there actually being players from GAF was unexpected. Below is a direct quote from Aeana as to why an OT wasnt made yet.

I didn't expect many people on here to be playing so I didn't make the OT. But if there are going to be several of you playing, then perhaps one should be made.

Ill give you an update bout server selection. Just finished the 5 step process for online play.

Looks like we can select servers to play on. 10 to pick from, 4 marked as solo play. Am guessing for folks who prefer to just not party and what not. Also server status in regards to server load is also listed.

thanks for the info, now the wait begins

urfe

Also I think "Kid's time" (free time) starts at 3 right (in 15 minutes)? I wonder how much of a difference all those elementary kids online will make.

Parakeetman

Also I think "Kid's time" (free time) starts at 3 right (in 15 minutes)? I wonder how much of a difference all those elementary kids online will make.

Do hope the plan works, since more sales would be nice to see for this game. Granted its not perfect and unfortunately the 10th game in the series turned out to be mostly an online game, but still. As someone who likes the series overall Id like to see this at least make a profitable success.

Aeana

The game will certainly be profitable, at least in the short term (depends on how long people play it for). Although I don't really know if kids' time is going to make SE that much money. The profits from the game will come from the subscription fees, and they only need a couple hundred thousand subscribers for it to be massively profitable.

Parakeetman

One thing that I think will keep younger folks possibly playing is the fact that it uses the point cards to do payments also. Hell even for anyone in general. Since its so much easier and worry free to use the point cards vs inputting CC info / dealing with automatic billing.

Wow decent number of folks online.

Question what kind of hardware / software do folks use to stream stuff anyways?

any info on the max level for your character to reach? (Level Cap)
Not too sure on that, would have to search the internet Id imagine.

DCharlie

Banned
Looks like we can select servers to play on. 10 to pick from, 4 at the bottom marked as solo play. Am guessing for folks who prefer to just not party and what not. Also server status in regards to server load is also listed. Side note says the obvious "please pick from a server that isnt crowded" lol Id agree with that since can imagine as exciting as it is to see lots of other players no idea how the lag will be. Will see in a bit. Currently selected a "normal" load server and will see how it is.

cool - i guess if you're the first one on there - then let us know which one you selected that way that can become the -official- server of choice. :)

The game will certainly be profitable, at least in the short term (depends on how long people play it for). Although I don't really know if kids' time is going to make SE that much money. The profits from the game will come from the subscription fees, and they only need a couple hundred thousand subscribers for it to be massively profitable.

if this game was in development for 6 years and had a decent sized team on it? that might hamper it's ability to be profitable. Plus - i'm not sure that the MMO crowd will jump over to this. We shall see. "Only a couple hundred thousand subs" - let's see how it goes. Numbers so far look fairly low but today -is- a works day.

see I don't like the idea of not having an OT it does not matter if we only have a few gaffers playing. An OT has other purpose it can serve, like an OP full of facts that answers the questions we all have.

I want to know about servers, level caps, monthly costs

an OT can be a quick profile of a game, this is still a numbered DQ game I am hoping the WiiU version comes to the US

Haha. I used composite cables for 3 years without problems. I only upgraded to component because one of the composite jacks in my TV went bad.

Aeana

see I don't like the idea of not having an OT it does not matter if we only have a few gaffers playing. An OT has other purpose it can serve, like an OP full of facts that answers the questions we all have.

I want to know about servers, level caps, monthly costs

an OT can be a quick profile of a game, this is still a numbered DQ game I am hoping the WiiU version comes to the US
You could make it, you know!

Parakeetman

cool - i guess if you're the first one on there - then let us know which one you selected that way that can become the -official- server of choice. :)

if this game was in development for 6 years and had a decent sized team on it? that might hamper it's ability to be profitable. Plus - i'm not sure that the MMO crowd will jump over to this. We shall see. "Only a couple hundred thousand subs" - let's see how it goes. Numbers so far look fairly low but today -is- a works day.

My guess is that we can always pick any server we want, but yeah currently am just on 4 for the time being. Wanted to test out what frame rates and such are like with a "normal" load. Doesnt seem to be too bad. But its a good indication that do not join crowded servers. As finding monsters will be a hassle.

So far am having a good time, really do want to get to the point where I can hire AI and such.

One thing for sure is since everyone will be picking different races Id imagine it would be a while before other GAF members would be able to meet up. Unless people are crazy enough to try and figure out how to run to other starting areas safely, though Id imagine you would miss out on quests and what not if you did that. So with that in mind I wonder how would friends of different races meet up early on or send each other friend data? Must be in the larger town where you will be able to meet others and get data for the NPC hiring.

I so need to get rid of this He-Man looking newbie fur armor as an Ogre lol. In honor of Labrys am running around with a BFA (Big Fucking Axe) :D

One thing Im curious about is besides the standard starting classes (Fighter, Priest, Mage, Thief, Monk, Bard) if there will be advanced classes like in DQIX. Since would like to play as a Paladin or Battlemaster.

Parakeetman

Ah ok I see. I think in your status profile there is a friend code and you must enter that Im guessing to add friends who are not in the same zone?

One thing new players will have to watch out for is, while monsters may look like single entities on the map, when the battle begins there is a chance it will be multiple monsters. So just keep that in mind / have extra healing items before hand or be at full life before entering a battle with a new enemy type.

Its nice not having to worry about things like kill stealing or getting trained on.

Harvest points for materials is separate for all players it seems. Treasure chests in the world too. So dont have to worry about things like in FFXI where it was whoever could do a circuit of the zone knowing all the points the fastest wins for crafting which is nice. Some may say thats a bit carebare, but personally for a less stressful / enjoyable experience I personally dont mind these design choices.

In other good news, I finally made enough gold to get rid of my friggin unga bunga look and put on some real clothes. Much better! Got lucky and found some "gold fragment" apparently used for alchemy, but I can sell it now for 300G...decisions, decisions. Judging by that price though this thing is pretty rare. But if I sell it now can kit myself out with some pretty good stuff...

Screw it I think Im going to sell it, but will check shop prices first.

Yep sold it and am now kitted out in the finest of fine for the newbie town :D Got a new BFA also! SLIMES & BUNNIES BEWARE

urfe

I got a newbie question:

When you said "solo play" servers, does that mean no one else would show up in the world? I would be more inclined to pick the game up and just play kid's time on the weekends if I knew that I could be on my own little world... online.

I got a newbie question:

When you said "solo play" servers, does that mean no one else would show up in the world? I would be more inclined to pick the game up and just play kid's time on the weekends if I knew that I could be on my own little world... online.

they would never give you a server to yourself, you just cannot team up in those most likely

Parakeetman

I got a newbie question:

My guess would be those are just marked servers "asking" players who have no intention to party with others to go there.

Since Ive not entered any of those myself am unsure of what the settings are.

Tailzo

I had totally forgotten this is releasing today in Japan. Now I should wait a year or more before I can play it I guess.

DGRE

Banned
My guess would be those are just marked servers "asking" players who have no intention to party with others to go there.

Since Ive not entered any of those myself am unsure of what the settings are.

Can you see actual numbers of people on? I'm really curious.

Top Bottom