• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct focused on ARMS + Splatoon 2 trailer (over)

watershed

Banned
Really good direct. I like how game-specific directs theme themselves with the game. They fully own the style of the game and it comes across much more appealingly. It reminded me of the Splatoon Direct.

A.J.

Banned
Not sure if posted yet, but I'll go ahead since it gave me a laugh
0DZI1sk.pngm

Watching the clips from the test punch, I've learned there's an infinite time limit option, a 1v1v1 option (or maybe a 2v1 but without the linking of people together?) and I believe Barq can be deactivate with a hit (or two)

semisonic

Banned
Still trying to figure out. Do different characters have different health values, or is it just different abilities? Can't quite tell from footage.

Erv

Can we get Hitmonchan.mankey and little Mac as dlc please. Make them work in this game somehow Nintendo. Thanks

I could also see Nintendo adding an arms character to smash Bros switch

So is Smash the only Nintendo "competitive" multiplayer series left that doesn't have some form of a robust replay or spectate mode now?

Mario Kart has the replay mode since 8 with the ability to change speed and get highlights

Splatoon 2 has spectate mode, negating the need to look at a blank screen while queueing up

Now Arms has this

Smash 4's replay is literally rewatching a match with an option to zoom into a fighter, nothing else

So is Smash the only Nintendo "competitive" multiplayer series left that doesn't have some form of a robust replay or spectate mode now?

Mario Kart has the replay mode since 8 with the ability to change speed and get highlights

Splatoon 2 has spectate mode, negating the need to look at a blank screen while queueing up

Now Arms has this

Smash 4's replay is literally rewatching a match with an option to zoom into a fighter, nothing else

A lot of that kinda falls on Sakurai's head. Whereas Smash is outsourced, ARMS, Mario Kart and Splatoon are made in-house within EPD, and they obviously have different design philosophies and priorities than Sakurai. Bit of a factor into why Smash's online options are pretty weak in comparison to the other games and why Smash doesn't get proper patch notes while the other games do.

I am slightly concerned about the glove that impairs vision. Unless it's statistically weak as a tradeoff I can see that being very popular.

Speely

Banned
I am slightly concerned about the glove that impairs vision. Unless it's statistically weak as a tradeoff I can see that being very popular.

Well it's an attribute that can ostensibly be applied to multiple arms, so I hope it's relatively balanced in relation to the other attributes.

I can see it being popular for arms with spread utility that cover larger areas per-attack.

Speely

Banned
You need to charge your ARMS before it does its special effect on hit so it's not that easy to land.

Unless you're Spring Man at 25% health or under ;) First Spring Man meta confirmed!

Realistically, I am confident that they have considered the potential effects of an OP blind status on charged attacks. Not too worried.

Totakeke

Unless you're Spring Man at 25% health or under ;) First Spring Man meta confirmed!

Realistically, I am confident that they have considered the potential effects of an OP blind status on charged attacks. Not too worried.

Not sure why blind would be more OP than something like stun. The concern seems misplaced.

Three months ago everybody knew Ninjara's teleport was OP. Two weeks ago, everybody knew that grabs were OP, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that Blind status effect was OP. Imagine what'll be OP tomorrow.
post-22569-Imagine-what-youll-know-tomorr-6V0C.gif

Is there any indication that Arms are arms? It seems like a lot of things can be Arms, and Arms that are arms just seems to be the most common form that the Arms phenomenon takes. But that doesn't mean that Arms are arms by necessity or definition.
Do remember, the direct began with drawings of a giraffe with an extending neck. I think, by definition, a giraffe's neck might not be an arm, even if it is an Arm.

I had been thinking it might be possible -however unlikely or unreasonable- Nintendo could try to secure Bayonetta as a guest character using her hair as her Arms, but an original character like Twintelle doing the same thing does seem so much better.

watershed

Banned
The Splatoon 2 trailer was great as well. The single player mode is looking more inventive and varied than the original. I'm glad the devs seem to understand how cool but also underbaked Splatoon 1's single player mode was. This one seems to tap more of the potential that was there.

Speely

Banned
You're blind for a short time or until hit once. Not bad.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

One thing many of these attributes have in common to me, on paper (I've not gotten to play the game yet,) is that they seem to be good setups for slower, harder punches like the Hammer and the Megaton.

I like the idea of that.

Edit: like, I can imagine stunning, slowing, blinding, or knocking down an opponent after a well-timed charged attack and then following it up with a slower, harder-hitting attack.

You're blind for a short time or until hit once. Not bad.
That's not too bad then.

I've been wondering if rushdown (or something resembling it) is at all possible in this game. Kid Cobra seems like he'd be good at getting in people's faces (coupled with, say, one or two stun gloves).

Speely

Banned
That's not too bad then.

I've been wondering if rushdown (or something resembling it) is at all possible in this game. Kid Cobra seems like he'd be good at getting in people's faces (coupled with, say, one or two stun gloves).

Interestingly, there is the question of whether or not rushing them down actually helps. Since attacks are ranged here, is gaining better proximity de-facto advantageous for anyone? Sure, punches and throws will land sooner, but that works for them as well.

Perhaps the stuns, etc, will play into this more than is apparent, as you alluded to.

So, why are Byte and Barq fighting? Everyone else has a clear motivation:

Spring Man: He's a professional ARMS combatant; it's his job!

Ribbon Girl: She's a pop idol, so she's likely competing for the fame.

Master Mummy: He's looking for his family.

Ninjara: Senior project for Ninja College.

Mechanica: Ribbon Girl is her idol, so she's following in her hero's footsteps?

Minmin: Promoting her family's restaurant.

Helix: He was literally born to be an ARMS fighter!

Kid Cobra: Trying to boost viewership for his streams.

Twintelle: Celebrity guest star!

But, why are the Clockwork Cops fighting?

Top Bottom