• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct focused on ARMS + Splatoon 2 trailer (over)

Shaanyboi

Banned
So, why are Byte and Barq fighting? Everyone else has a clear motivation:

Spring Man: He's a professional ARMS combatant; it's his job!

Ribbon Girl: She's a pop idol, so she's likely competing for the fame.

Master Mummy: He's looking for his family.

Ninjara: Senior project for Ninja College.

Mechanica: Ribbon Girl is her idol, so she's following in her hero's footsteps?

Minmin: Promoting her family's restaurant.

Helix: He was literally born to be an ARMS fighter!

Kid Cobra: Trying to boost viewership for his streams.

Twintella: Celebrity guest star!

But, why are the Clockwork Cops fighting?

He's the Paul Walker stand in.

"Minmin, I'm a cop."

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Love how they work the main theme song into everything, even the lore bit, which had me rolling.

Metal B

I bet, his ingenieurs use the tournament as a field test, before he is ready to go into production. Hopefully we find the identity of the Ingenieur and it is a Dexter typ small, genius boy, who has a rivalry with Mechanica (on one hand because she is more into cats and on the other because he has a crash on her). =)

I bet, his ingenieurs use the tournament as a field test, before he is ready to go into production. Hopefully we find the identity of the Ingenieur and it is a Dexter typ small, genius boy, who has a rivalry with Mechanica (on one hand because she is more into cats and on the other because he has a crash on her). =)

Hmm. That sounds like a possibility...

My guess would be that they are investigating some questionable happenings with the Grand Prix (whatever the crap the champion is up to, with that crazy mask and the four arms and all).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Spring Man: He's a professional ARMS combatant; it's his job!

Ribbon Girl: She's a pop idol, so she's likely competing for the fame.

Master Mummy: He's looking for his family.

Ninjara: Senior project for Ninja College.

Mechanica: Ribbon Girl is her idol, so she's following in her hero's footsteps?

Minmin: Promoting her family's restaurant.

Helix: He was literally born to be an ARMS fighter!

Kid Cobra: Trying to boost viewership for his streams.

Twintelle: Celebrity guest star!

But, why are the Clockwork Cops fighting?

Twintelle actually is like Ribbon Girl - sees the Grand Prix as a "true" stage and wants to dominate in it

According to the website and a rough translation, no one knows why Byte and Barq joined the fight, but they do want to be Beach Patrol duty, so maybe they're proving their worth in the Grand Prix.

Anyone wanna translate the profiles for the new characters? I remember we got them up to Min Min.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/aabqa/fighter/index.html

That Direct sold me on ARMS. I was curious before, but now I am excited. Splatoon 2 is also a must-buy. I mean - what a year for Nintendo this is shaping up to be! I will gladly pay for online since MK8D, Splatoon 2 and now ARMS will potentially last me years...

Twintelle actually is like Ribbon Girl - sees the Grand Prix as a "true" stage and wants to dominate in it

According to the website and a rough translation, no one knows why Byte and Barq joined the fight, but they do want to be Beach Patrol duty, so maybe they're proving their worth in the Grand Prix.

Anyone wanna translate the profiles for the new characters? I remember we got them up to Min Min.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/aabqa/fighter/index.html

Ah, I see! That's interesting; I figured Twintelle was just there for the obligatory Celebrity Guest appearance. So Byte and Barq might be trying to prove their mettle, eh? They really remind me of the pilots of Politank Z from Waku Waku 7...

Ah, I see! That's interesting; I figured Twintelle was just there for the obligatory Celebrity Guest appearance. So Byte and Barq might be trying to prove their mettle, eh? They really remind me of the pilots of Politank Z from Waku Waku 7...

I was just thinking about that, they're definitely a lot like Politank-Z ahaha Waku Waku 7 is so good...

Raitaro

I have quite a few questions now that I'm up again, in random order of importance / making sense:

- Can we play all modes, including volley ball, hoops etc., against the CPU as well, and will there be difficulty settings?
- Why are Byte & Barq on a beach as their home stage (not that I'm complaining but he kinda looks out of place)?
- Will the arcade mode have some story afterall, including character specfic endings etc.?
- Will that awesome intro lore video be used in the acual game or will they pull a intro-less SFV? I need my lore!
- What were those two(?) Splatoon-like posters shown near the end referring to?
- Could we possibly be getting a full beat 'm up mode later where we traverse stages and beat up mobs?
- Will one of the DLC fighters have a winter theme + stage? Hopefully so.
- Will one of the DLC fighters have a plant / vine / jungle theme? Hopefully so.
- Why does NA get more testpunch sessions than the other regions? Why the unfair advantage? (I'm only half-serious here folks.)
- Can we get a "World of ARMS" art book when the DLC is released please? One that also includes art for stages and any in-game world branding?
- Will Biff actually commentate the matches or is he only used in these Directs? (And what is his role in the story / relation to the final boss indeed?)
- Can this game look any cooler?

That's it for now. I'm STOKED for ARMS though!

(As for Splatoon 2: I'm stoked as well but as far as the single player Hero mode goes I'm a little bit worried that it will be another series of short (Mario Galaxy / 3D World style) unconnected stages instead of a more interconnected (Mario 64 / Sunshine style) game world where we can goo where we want. I just want to be able to explore Inkopolis and the surrounding areas / Splatoon world on my own Nintendo, not be teleported around all the time. That said, those stages did look great.)

Just watched the rest (missed the last half cuz work).

Glorious. I love the look of this game.

B&B looking to be my main but why is a (non-piloted) robot allowed? I guess they're just sentient?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nah it's BB's. Look at the mtoif - beach volleyball. Even has palm trees and a beach landscape. Byte and Barq want to be a lifeguard.

But the stage walls are plastered with images of Biff in the various modes, not to mention yellow fists everywhere.

Edit: could be a connection between them. Perhaps Biff built the robotic duo?

JnFnRu

I wonder if with all this ARMS and Splatoon reveal before E3, they will use the Spotlight to focus on different games.....

wow what a Direct! Just watched it now. During the Switch reveal I didn't get ARMS at all, but the excitement has been building up and now I am actually pretty sure I am going to buy the game.

A very similar experience as with the Splatoon reveal. After the E3 video I was zero excited about the game, now I love it.

And speaking of Splatoon - yesssssss, finally some info on the story mode. looks absolutely stunning and shut finally put those comments to rest that it's not a proper sequel!

I really wonder what Nintendo has got in store for the E3 because now I guess we know basically everything about these two games?

I was mildly interested in the game before the Direct, definitely wanted to try it, but now I'm sold. I'd actually played it in one of those free events before launch, and came away impressed by the controls and mechanics, but unsure as to what the entire game would entail.

The Direct has me confident that I'll be playing this in single- and multi-player for months after launch. Super excited, and the presentation is superb, really gets me pumped up. Love the bold menus too.

Jerry

Im really glad theres going to be a 'Test Punch'

These directs reveal very little about how the game actually controls/plays, almost to the point of it putting me off the game entirely.

mclem

It's that but it also has story, see the end of the ARMS trailer, something weird happens to the final boss fighter.

Looked like two distinct characters to me, but I could be wrong. Hidden boss?

Also, specifics on the 'something weird':
Pretty sure I saw four arms

mclem

Now this is over, I hope ARMS isn't going to be apart of the Main Nintendo E3 Showcase

I'm sure it'll be referenced - it'll be due out in literally days at that point, and they'll want to promote the upcoming tourney as well. I don't think they'll go into huge extra detail, but they might talk about the first DLC releases or possibly Amiibos.

They both have the champion belt thing and same color scheme. Same character.

The lighting of the mask reveal threw me off, but you may well be right - indeed, I suspect it might be the case that if we take all the individual clips of this character as they appear in the final montage and put them together, we'll end up with something approximating a storyboard for a transformation cutscene.

mclem

tenor.gif

I wonder what the first fighting game to have the fights with hair thing came from. Guilty Gear (Millia)?

While it's a platformer, not a fighter, Kabuki Quantum Fighter on the NES uses that concept.

6w7hsKP.jpg

Top Bottom