• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct on April 12 (3PM PT, Switch/3DS, mainly Splarms)

3DS had more interesting things to me than Switch. That monster hunter game seems like a game for me. I love monster raising. Too bad I don't want to invest in my 3DS any more.

Okay, I finished watching. I'm surprised that the 3DS is still getting so many games. I thought with the Switch they were going to stop making games for it, but there is still a lot coming out.

Arms looks okay and I want to play Splatoon 2 especially since I never got to play the original. I'm interested in the new Kirby games as well.

E3 is literally just around the corner and most of the things you are talking about would make more an impact there than they would here.

You are being very unrealistic.

I understand where your coming from. But try to look at it from two perspective:

1) if your an investor, Arms and Splatoon releasing in June and July is good. Minecraft in May is good. But what about the rest of summer? What about this party support? All "consoles" live and die by third party support. In this light, I'm disappointed.

2) if you are a Xbox or Sony fan looking into buying a Switch, Nintendo didn't do anything to win you over with this Direct.

Arms maybe a game that can. But today nothing was shown to excite you.

I'll stand by my statements. After the dust settles and by next week, many people will be unhappy with the Direct.

Josh5890

Okay, I finished watching. I'm surprised that the 3DS is still getting so many games. I thought with the Switch they were going to stop making games for it, but there is still a lot coming out.

Arms looks okay and I want to play Splatoon 2 especially since I never got to play the original. I'm interested in the new Kirby games as well.

I promise you that you are in for a treat!

OryoN

If you were expecting anything big other than Splatoon and Arms then it's your own fault you're disappointed. Especially this close to E3.

Anyway, Splatoon look good, I'm still iffy on Arms, everything else I just kind of glazed over.

That's even AFTER Nintendo basically told everyone what to expect, AND even tossed in a few extra for good measure. Some people are just too impossible to deal with.

Anyway, I thought it was a decent direct. Those new Amiibo look great, even for me who resisted them up to this point. The neo yellow Joy-con was a pleasant surprise, as well as the individual dock which quite a few people were hoping for on day-1. There was that timed-exclusive Switch RPG that looked really great(edit: Battle Chasers: Nightwar), and some others in there that are bound to appeal to certain tastes. I wasn't feeling the ARMS segment that much, but it already left a positive impression on me from watching people play. That new Splatoon Salmon Run mode was a megaton for me, as I do love co-op games/modes. I can see it being a lot of fun. It gave me a weird Left-4-dead vibe. Apples and Oranges on the surface, of course, but the foundational gameplay is similar. I hope it has different maps, and more varied enemies. A great addition to the Splatoon world!

If I had to rate this direct, using Splatoon ranking system(D to S+), I'd say; a solid B.

Red Devil

Oh damn, I didn't think of that <_< Erm if it's anything I do think it's great how well supported the 3DS still is at this point, I just suspect many here are on the same boat in terms of mainly wanting Switch stuff now.

But as I say, Kirby has a history of appearing late:

Adventure on NES was 1993
Dream Land 3 on SNES was 1997
64 was 2000
Return to Dreamland and Mass Attack 2011

So it is series tradition! And the Kirby games do look and run excellently on 3DS to be fair.

Kirby Super Star came before Dream Land 3 on SNES.

You know GAF hot takes are terrible when they show a match of ARMS with commentary that breaks down the nuances of combat in an entertaining way and most people are complaining about the presentation being aimed at 8 year olds.

Even Salmon Run had me excited as they explain their own twist to a horde mode and I'm over here getting excited about the gameplay while others was complaining about the presentation or complaining that they don't even know what you do.

Do people even play games anymore or are you just on GAF to bitch about everything?

I have a third option, buy/play games and consoles only to bitch about them too.

I understand where your coming from. But try to look at it from two perspective:

1) if your an investor, Arms and Splatoon releasing in June and July is good. Minecraft in May is good. But what about the rest of summer? What about this party support? All "consoles" live and die by third party support. In this light, I'm disappointed.

2) if you are a Xbox or Sony fan looking into buying a Switch, Nintendo didn't do anything to win you over with this Direct.

I'll stand by my statements. After the dust settles and by next week, many people will be unhappy with the Direct.

Good thing E3 is 2 months away.

mindatlarge

About what I expected with E3 being right around the corner. Was hoping for a VC announcement at least, but yeah, makes sense to keep the majority of new announcements for the big show.

It's amazing that, two months out from E3, we get a Direct that listed what would be on offer and people are still complaining that it didn't offer what they wanted outside of exactly what they said it would be.

Stop whining and give it some time, why would they announce major stuff like that now?

Menitta

Overall the direct was ok. I wasn't expecting any megatons. E3 is right around the corner so hopefully they saved the big guns for that.

I respectfully disagree. Nintendo should and need to get some third party announcements or of the way that may not play well at E3. Rayman, Monopoly, are not what I call even medium sized third party titles. It was disappointing.

You said in your post you wanted at least one or two smaller third party reveals. They gave three smaller third party reveals (possibly more, I'm not sure if some of the Japanese games were announced already or not). You're upset they didn't give you third party reveals you wanted, but they fulfilled the minimum requirements of your initial complaint. It's ok to be disappointed but don't complain in your disappointment about things that aren't true.

i wasnt expecting anything but Arms and Splatoon 2, but i was expecting Arms to be sooner then that release date. Not disappointed but, still underwhelmed.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The two things I was potentially hyped about were more Arms characters and Splatoon single player info.

They kind of almost delivered, I guess. Not a big deal since I'm definitely day one for both games.

Loved the format though.

Cuburt

I would play games but Nintendo hardly ever releases any for their new platform.
I'm unsure if your snarky reply was supposed to be a retort to what I was saying or just re-affirming my observations.

Judging by how this Direct just spelled out many of the releases for the next 3 months on the platform, I'd assume it's the latter.

brinstar

I can understand the disappointment that Splatoon and ARMS are farther away than we thought. I had a feeling that was going to happen.

I think folks are getting antsy because past Zelda there hasn't been a huge meaty adventure-type game. Mario Kart, Splatoon and ARMS are all multiplayer-centric and that seems to get dismissed faster in enthusiast circles. On top of that MK is an enhanced Wii U game that some people might've already put a ton of time into.

Hopefully E3 has some cool stuff in store.

Personally, I'm glad I never got around to Disgaea 5 on PS4, because that's going to last me until the heat death of the universe on Switch :p

Jubenhimer

Nintendo says new direct is mainly focused on ARMS and Splatoon 2. People get upset at there not being Megatons. Seriously, for a Direct, this was perfectly fine. I like the new format as well.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wanted minecraft physical on my switch COMING AT A LATER DATE TO STORES

oh ffs &#128549;&#128546;&#128560;&#128557;

1.) Minecraft releasing in May is pretty big. ARMS and Splatoon releases seven weeks apart from each other. From the release date of ARMS to the end of summer is eight weeks. I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at, the difference between the end of summer and Splatoon is literally one week longer than the release dates of ARMS and Splatoon 2. If I'm an investor, I'm far more interested in their holiday performance anyways. They launched well and I think they can have a very successful holiday being the platform that has a mainline Zelda & Mario game as well as MK8:D and Minecraft.

2.) If Nintendo is going to try to get people that own an X1 or PS4, they will do it at E3. I have no idea what point you are making here. They will bring out the big guns at E3, just like pretty much every other publisher that publishes video games.

I don't know how one can be unhappy considering Nintendo explicitly stated what this Direct would be about.

Nintendo says new direct is mainly focused on ARMS and Splatoon 2. People get upset at there not being Megatons. Seriously, for a Direct, this was perfectly fine. I like the new format as well.

Yup the direct was fine. Although I have to say, every time I see a 3DS game in the works I get a bit frustrated despite not even having a Switch yet. I'm just so tired of that piece of hardware and I'm ready for Nintendo development to unify behind the Switch. If it doesn't soon then you are wasting the biggest selling point of the system: more Nintendo games.

You said in your post you wanted at least one or two smaller third party reveals. They gave three smaller third party reveals (possibly more, I'm not sure if some of the Japanese games were announced already or not). You're upset they didn't give you third party reveals you wanted, but they fulfilled the minimum requirements of your initial complaint. It's ok to be disappointed but don't complain in your disappointment about things that aren't true.

Your right. But I expected larger than indie titles, and Eshop games. Rayman was announced previously, so that is not a new announcement.

I did not AAA games, but a AA or mid tier size game would have been good.

Rizific

just got home from work and go through it while skipping a whole bunch of shit that i didnt care about. saw very little that interested me. COOL more 40+ year old classic games. MONOPOLY WITH HD RUMBLE!!!! minecraft version 48654134878246. even arms looked less interesting compared to its reveal :/ i guess its just more botw for me until...i dont even know.

rhandino

Banned

lmao

Investors dont give a fuck about console games because they are most likely caring about Animal Crossing Mobile and the next 3 mobile games Nintendo is going to release after this first batch.

1.) Minecraft releasing in May is pretty big. ARMS and Splatoon releases seven weeks apart from each other. From the release date of ARMS to the end of summer is eight weeks. I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at, the difference between the end of summer and Splatoon is literally one week longer than the release dates of ARMS and Splatoon 2. If I'm an investor, I'm far more interested in their holiday performance anyways. They launched well and I think they can have a very successful holiday being the platform that has a mainline Zelda & Mario game as well as MK8:D and Minecraft.

2.) If Nintendo is going to try to get people that own an X1 or PS4, they will do it at E3. I have no idea what point you are making here. They will bring out the big guns at E3, just like pretty much every other publisher that makes video games.

I don't know how one can be unhappy considering Nintendo explicitly stated what this Direct would be about.

Minecraft is huge. Huge. Other than Zelda, biggest game on the system. It very well may sell the most copies of any Nintendo game on Switch over its lifespan.

Jubenhimer

Yup the direct was fine. Although I have to say, every time I see a 3DS game in the works I get a bit frustrated despite not even having a Switch yet. I'm just so tired of that piece of hardware and I'm ready for Nintendo development to unify behind the Switch. If it doesn't soon then you are wasting the biggest selling point of the system: more Nintendo games.

Give it time. I'd rather the 3DS go out gracefully and with dignity than come to a screeching, anti-climactic halt like the Wii U, where what was supposed to be it's Swansong, got ported over to it's successor instead.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
3DS had more interesting things to me than Switch. That monster hunter game seems like a game for me. I love monster raising. Too bad I don't want to invest in my 3DS any more.

Overall I'd agree. 3ds had a better lineup, but I'm kinda over the system.

I get that Nintendo didn't want to just drop the 3ds like a bad habit though. Plus a lot of 3ds stuff has localization lag in getting games out of Japan.

That being said as another poster said I didn't expect much overall, and we didn't get much. Can't say I'm disappointed cause I set my expectations ahead of time.

E3 this year is more put up or shut up on the games front for me.

Majukun

just got home from work and go through it while skipping a whole bunch of shit that i didnt care about. saw very little that interested me. COOL more 40+ year old classic games. MONOPOLY WITH HD RUMBLE!!!! minecraft version 48654134878246. even arms looked less interesting compared to its reveal :/ i guess its just more botw for me until...i dont even know.

how??

they showed the exact same thing they showed to the e3 plus more

Nia

Minmin is pretty cute, as is Esna. I wanted to see some of the story mode for Splatoon 2, but I guess that's for later.

Dynheart

Banned
Disappointed people I have a question: what exactly were you expecting when the headline showed, with explicit wording, what it would be about? Surely Nintendo would not showcase games that would outshine their headliners for the direct (they were not hiding it in any way shape or form). Why not show a bunch of little to mid tier type of games, which is what they did.

Were you guys expecting more 1st party reveals/3rd party megatons? That makes no sense at all. I swear that one direct in January, after the Wii U's release (2013 I believe), has skewed peoples perceptions/expectations of these directs, and has been setting themselves up for disappointment ever since. That direct was just a perfect storm of luck (and games being announced 2-3 years in advance). I doubt Nintendo wants to put themselves in that position again.

ckfy63a

Not bad, pretty much in line with expectations, though I do wish we could've seen a glimpse of that multiplayer Kirby game for Nintendo 3DS; does anyone know where we can find high-res assets (amiibo packaging, logos, boxarts) released today?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Nintendo and "Third Party Support" don't really belong in the same sentence.

Top Bottom