• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Mini Announced for June 28

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I remember seeing some trailer looong ago, but that's all.

Have you played the game? How is it?
I haven't put enough time into it yet to give you a qualified impression. But I did fire it up a bit and it's very charming and interesting, but also easy. You're better off reading some reviews on it since I haven't gotten to really play it yet. But the trailers sold me on it.

If I get some free time I'll try it out a bit more since I bet people are going to be wondering about it now that it's coming to Switch. There are barely even any professional reviews on the game. Got totally missed by almost everyone.

blacktout

This is a hard Direct to assess.

One the one hand, I got three game announcements that I've been waiting for for years: Nier Automata, Persona 5, and Dragon Quest Treasures. (Well, I've been waiting for a Dragon Quest Monsters game, but this is close enough.) Pac-Man World Re-Pac also looks awesome.

On the other, long stretches of the presentation were devoted to games that either looked good but had already been announced (Live A Live, Mario + Rabbids, Sunbreak, Portal) or to games that I really have no interest in at all. And the two biggest announcements for me (Nier, Persona) were effectively spoiled. Oh, and still no fucking Silksong!

So, I don't know. It felt like the third party section of what could have been an A-grade general Direct if we had gotten the usual couple of new first party announcements, a release date for Bayonetta, Mario Kart DLC & NSO N64 updates, and some new details about Splatoon 3 and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, but being forced to stand alone as a Partner Showcase it was ... I don't know, a B or B- for me, probably a C for anyone with more, er, western tastes.

blackjon24

Shows like this are the reasons a Nintendo platform hasn’t been my main platform since the GameCube. Always waiting for late ports of games that other system has had for years and pay full price/near full price. I see nothings changed

This show ended with persona 5? Are you kidding me? Joker joined smash like 3 years ago…talk about late to the party

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm going in blind on Live A Live. Anything HD2D is day one for me at this point. Loved all of it. Excited to play a new retro JRPG.
Live A Live looks really interesting but I wish it wouldn't release so close to Xenoblade 3, I'm already going have a hard time jumping between Xenoblade 3 and Sunbreak.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Live A Live looks really interesting but I wish it wouldn't release so close to Xenoblade 3, I'm already going have a hard time jumping between Xenoblade 3 and Sunbreak.
Monster Hunter is a full time job for me when I'm actually playing it. No way to actually play all those considering how huge Xeno3lade looks also. I'm kind of excited about Live A Live being normal length lol.

bender

What time is it?
What a Direct!

Persona 4
Sunbreak
Persona 4
Nier
Persona 4
Persona 3
Persona 4
Portal
Persona 4
Portal 2
Persona 4
Blanc
Persona 4
Person 5
Persona 4
Live a Live
Persona 4

jrpg-nanako.gif

Skip Xenoblade.

Last edited:

Andyliini

There's also a demo for Live A Live available right now, where you can test out three characters and transfer your progress to the full game.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Blanc looks stellar. IF this was coupled with first party stuff it would have been A+ tier however knowing this was separated from what looks like a bigger direct, I call it a C+/B-

If Switch is your main platform of choice then this is a hit. Sunbreak looks great (although I don't play MH games). Nier is old but doesn't matter if you never played it, it's new to you and with 100 million switch players, I'm sure more than a few have skipped it.

This is a hard Direct to assess.

One the one hand, I got three game announcements that I've been waiting for for years: Nier Automata, Persona 5, and Dragon Quest Treasures. (Well, I've been waiting for a Dragon Quest Monsters game, but this is close enough.) Pac-Man World Re-Pac also looks awesome.

On the other, long stretches of the presentation were devoted to games that either looked good but had already been announced (Live A Live, Mario + Rabbids, Sunbreak, Portal) or to games that I really have no interest in at all. And the two biggest announcements for me (Nier, Persona) were effectively spoiled. Oh, and still no fucking Silksong!

So, I don't know. It felt like the third party section of what could have been an A-grade general Direct if we had gotten the usual couple of new first party announcements, a release date for Bayonetta, Mario Kart DLC & NSO N64 updates, and some new details about Splatoon 3 and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, but being forced to stand alone as a Partner Showcase it was ... I don't know, a B or B- for me, probably a C for anyone with more, er, western tastes.

They followed Xbox's lead and did the 12 months thing. Saying it at the beginning sets expectations.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have only myself to blame, but I had higher expectations..

I mean, it's suppoed to be the summer Direct, now we don't know when we're getting the meaty stuff anymore. That's frustrating.

Robb

Gold Member
Was petty much exactly what I expected from a ‘mini’ direct..

I’m still hoping we’ll get a “real” showcase sometime in the summer.

I don’t remember the 3D sonic games ever being good. I honestly don’t know what people expect.

Growing up, I had a blast playing the Sonic Adventure games because I liked Sonic… that was it. But it was never because I thought the games were amazing. Either way, I will be playing this new game once it comes to game pass :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I loved the Adventure games and Heroes. Hell, there's several things about them that I honestly preffer over the Genesis games.
Frontiers doesn't look as terrible anymore (atleast on Next Gen consoles) as people say it is, but it also doesn't look too great either.

I’m excited, so yes. What a lot of people don’t realize, or refuse to acknowledge, is that a pretty large number of switch gamers are switch exclusive and these are new games to us. This is all just extra gravy on an already fantastic meal that Nintendo is offering us. Also I’m really happy with that metaphor so don’t come at me!

Same here. They can talk about graphics all they want but in the end, for me it's not graphics that sell me on a game, it's gameplay. I really enjoyed the Direct. I'm looking forward to replaying P3 and P4. As for P5, I played the OG on PS4 and never played the Royal editon, so I'll be picking that one up too.

Last edited:

Serouj2000

Same here. They can talk about graphics all they want but in the end, for me it's not graphics that sell me on a game, it's gameplay. I really enjoyed the Direct. I'm looking forward to replaying P3 and P4. As for P5, I played the OG on PS4 and never played the Royal editon, so I'll be picking that one up too.
I've read a comment from a certain thread by a certain banned person whose arguments of annoyance of the announcement in the thread in question were almost all graphics-based. It was from 16 years ago, but I digress.
(The thread wasn't by the commenter)

Last edited:
I've read a comment from a certain thread by a certain banned person whose arguments of annoyance of the announcement in the thread in question were almost all graphics-based. It was from 16 years ago, but I digress
I'm at the point where graphics don't wow me as much as it used too. I still Game on my PS4 and my Gaming PC. My favorite PS4 games is Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 and the graphics aren't great in those games. For me it's the gameplay, characters, story and music that affects me more when it comes to games

RAIDEN1

The irony that Nintendo would likely be more committed in bringing out Prime 1 re-master out the door by the end of this year, yet the instalment to take the franchise forward is in no-mans-land

Serouj2000

The irony that Nintendo would likely be more committed in bringing out Prime 1 re-master out the door by the end of this year, yet the instalment to take the franchise forward is in no-mans-land
If that. At this point, a rumor would pop off that Samus is somehow entering Mario Kart 8 and that would be more believable than MP4 coming out this year.
(The fact that I have to say this is tongue in cheek is telling)

RAIDEN1

If that. At this point, a rumor would pop off that Samus is somehow entering Mario Kart 8 and that would be more believable than MP4 coming out this year.
(The fact that I have to say this is tongue in cheek is telling)
I wouldn't be surprised if they took the easy option in bringing out the re-master of Prime 1....but definitely there is no way in hell that Prime 4 would be out this year.....at the rate things are going they may as well save it for the Switch 2...will have more power to play with...

Serouj2000

I wouldn't be surprised if they took the easy option in bringing out the re-master of Prime 1....but definitely there is no way in hell that Prime 4 would be out this year.....at the rate things are going they may as well save it for the Switch 2...will have more power to play with...
This wouldn't be the first time this happened to Metroid, if so. Metroid Dread is proof

Top Bottom