• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct WiiU/3DS @ 8/7 - NA: 7am PT, EU: 4pm CEST

I thought it was very good.

No surprises but high quality titles.

Most of the games shown look like "9" games to me.

Many were expecting info/footage etc. on a new Zelda game, a new Mario game similar to Galaxy of greatness (not that 3DS game look alike ugh..), maybe some other great titles that were not known... But we didn't get any of that.

That would be mine.

But it's only a matter of time before people see the crazier later levels and are glad they are making this game.

Out of all the developers, I think they deserve the benefit of "doubt".
EAD Tokyo and Retro easily got the most shit for their reveals. Both are two of Nintendo's greatest studios, but 3D World in particular is the one I don't get the backlash on. It's beautiful, it looks fun, and its a legit achievement to make a 2-player 3D platformer... let alone a 4-player one.

It just always screamed "Big time game coming soon!" Tropical Freeze on the other hand is not as pretty as I'd expect a new DKC to be from them, on such powerful hardware. And it wasn't the tone I expected of the title Retro had been working on for three years. I get the TF backlash. But 3D World looks beautiful, fun, and it's from EAD Tokyo.

Shahadan

I mean last time I checked, some major sites even made fun of Nintendos super secret that they had at E3...which was the Wii fit girl in smash bros. But when it came to the E3 Direct itself, people were expecting SO much because they didn't have a big conference so the DIrect(s) HAD to be good...which was not.

I play games on Nintendo platforms regularly, but many people I know were disappointed myself included.

People screamed for months they wanted info on 3D Mario, X, MK, Smash, Bayo and shit. They got all that and were still whining because they didn't get a MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENT like platinum buy out or KH3 exclusive or some nonsense.

People here don't care about being shown how games are played or what new gameplay there is, they only want announcements announecements announcements os they can talk about it for days on a message board and get their kick out of it.

It's even the same about every conference ever, even MS or Sony's. As soon as someone talk about something else than a surprise announcement they yell "shut up show us games!" or "ffs where are the announcements!".

I honestly don't understand why people are even watching these things anymore. Just go take a shit and read the announcements afterwards for the same effect.

WillyFive

Many were expecting info/footage etc. on a new Zelda game, a new Mario game similar to Galaxy of greatness (not that 3DS game look alike ugh..), maybe some other great titles that were not known... But we didn't get any of that.

E3 was a good showing, but if you were expecting games you didn't know about before you saw the Direct; you'd really only get Donkey Kong. Everyone knew about Smash, Mario Kart, and 3D Mario for months because of Iwata himself saying they will be there.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm not "HYPED" like I usually am, but I'm excited as always.

Bring it on, Nintendo
accounts and GBA/SNES VC pls

Kouriozan

I get the TF backlash. But 3D World looks beautiful, fun, and it's from EAD Tokyo.

I agree.
So far all 3D Mario were awesome, I wonder how could someone start to freak out, there is simply no reason to, it's EAD Tokyo!
Let's see how is the game before jumping to conclusion.

EAD Tokyo and Retro easily got the most shit for their reveals. Both are two of Nintendo's greatest studios, but 3D World in particular is the one I don't get the backlash on. It's beautiful, it looks fun, and its a legit achievement to make a 2-player 3D platformer... let alone a 4-player one.

It just always screamed "Big time game coming soon!" Tropical Freeze on the other hand is not as pretty as I'd expect a new DKC to be from them, on such powerful hardware. And it wasn't the tone I expected of the title Retro had been working on for three years. I get the TF backlash. But 3D World looks beautiful, fun, and it's from EAD Tokyo.

What's funny is that I suspect the group that didn't want another Galaxy game(can't figure how that series has already run its course) are now saying they wish EAD Tokyo's new game was another Galaxy.

When a developer is THAT good like Retro and especially EAD Tokyo, I roll with whatever they are making next and feel lucky that I'll get to play another title by them.

Disappointment is fine but a lot of it seems disrespectful in tone to some of the best developers on the planet.

I went back and replayed Super Mario 3D Land, a game I really liked but didn't love and the game is once again an impeccably designed game by that group and a better one is not something I could even be disappointed with.

Upon first sight, I have to admit I was surprised that was their game and their only new game but I got over it really fast as it looks top quality.

I'm looking for substance first, flash is a bonus.

New mechanics like the ability to climb(scares me a bit) and the clear tubes makes me really hyped for the game as it looks to me like a better 3D Land.

That might not be good enough for some but it is for me.

noal

Banned

Surely Retro hasn't spent three years just on this?

You would have thought that they had something else being planned or being worked on side by side. Nintendo needs a couple of Retro games in three years really; they can't afford Retro taking another three years to bang something else out.

I agree with everything you say by the way.

AGoodODST

Oh sweet.

Looking forward to (hopefully) getting a more in depth look at The Wonderful 101. Woud be great to see N64/cube games on the Virtual Console to though.

They usually have at least something new to announce during these things so I'm hoping for that.

Sendou

You would have thought that they had something else being planned or being worked on side by side. Nintendo needs a couple of Retro games in three years really; they can't afford Retro taking another three years to bang something else out.

That's not the case. They are 100% focused on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Other projects in the near past included supervision of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and misc. work on Mario Kart 7.

Wiiu
Release dates for everything this year bar 3d world and wii fit
Way too much time on a new update
Footage for W101 and WWHD
WW bundle announced
No price drop but WW bundle for 350

3DS
Pokemon main focus, bundles announced
New colors for 3DS XL
New VC something, possibly gba games
Mini trailers for the holiday lineup

This right here is already like 40 minutes with nintendo doing it so i dont expect anything

Any new games will be saved for later directs. The holiday schedule is locked in most likely. Their may be some 3ds announcements from 3rd parties in japan.

3d world, with four players, may end up being the most fun people have had from a 3d mario game. Maybe even every mario game.

Im just waiting to see what new creative ideas they have with being able to play with multiple people.

This can be seen as a negative to many, as they might end up playing alone. So itll be interesting to see if they can balance that factor out.

Maybe it's a good thing.

I think a game as quality as that takes longer than we know but if they have extra time and staff, maybe they will once again help on Kart to make sure it makes it out the date they gave.

Of course it'd be better if they had two projects but all signs point to that not being the case unless they are being sneaky.

Nerokis

I will never get the negative reception to 3D World. TF I get. I wanted Retro working on something that put their artistic talents to full use. Instead we got a look at a pretty, but not astounding DKC.

My excitement for 3D World has steadily increased, but I was also initially disappointed. There are certain things I've come to expect from 3D Mario games, and however it turns out, 3D World is undoubtedly a bit of a break from those expectations. The Tropical Freeze complaints fall more or less in the same category: people were hoping for something with a particular combination of ambition, ingenuity, and freshness, and instead were given something that at least felt too safe.

Still, the E3 ND was much better than people give it credit for. Your mileage will vary, though, depending on your receptivity to the actual games announced. 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and SSB were undoubtedly all big announcements.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm really banking on a Wii U price drop and bundle now come to think about it, the next Nintendo Direct would be around this point in October probably and by then it would be sort of already into the Holiday Season (well not that far, but still) to announcement something as large as that and wait until then, a lot of the hype in between gamers would be over the Xbox One and PS4 at that point. I suppose one could make the argument that August is too early to announce a price drop and bundle for the thing, but the heavy hitters are starting to release right now and in the few coming weeks with Pikmin 2 and W101 until well into December with 3D World.

-Horizon-

Organizing my expectations...

Realistic expectations today:
Talking about more 3DS XL colors being available now.
The Wonderful 101
They'll probably bring up Pikmin 3 somehow just to talk about it.
An update on the Wii U summer update and when to expect it (Big maybe)
A trailer for Zelda WindWaker HD
Mario and Luigi Dream Team
Wii Party U
Rayman Legends

Optimistic expectations tonight:
Game localization news
Miiverse for 3DS news
1-2 unexpected game announcements
Price cuts of any kind

UnrealisticHYPE expectations set for tomorrow:
GBA and SNES VC for 3DS
Account system
all new game announcement bonanza
News about SMT x FE, X, or any game for 2014
Bravely Default 2, TWEWY 2 and other games announced for 3DS
Someone showing up and presenting the direct in a Wonderful 101 mask

3D World just needs some new footage. The levels we've seen don't inspire much confidence that it will have anywhere near the creativity of either galaxy, and honestly im worried they are rushing to get this out
I'm really banking on a Wii U price drop and bundle now come to think about it, the next Nintendo Direct would be around this point in October probably and by then it would be sort of already into the Holiday Season (well not that far, but still) to announcement something as large as that and wait until then, a lot of the hype in between gamers would be over the Xbox One and PS4 at that point. I suppose one could make the argument that August is too early to announce a price drop and bundle for the thing, but the heavy hitters are starting to release right now and in the few coming weeks with Pikmin 2 and W101 until well into December with 3D World

The WW bundle will likely show up. Dont get your hopes up for a price drop.

Lexxism

I want a footage of SMT x FE game. This game will be my system seller for WiiU. But since it's just for the current line-up for 2013, I will keep my expectations low.

What was wrong with the E3 direct other than unrealistic expectations? The games I saw looked great!

Many people expected something like a new action/adventure game or rpg from retro instead of a 2d platformer. Many people feel mario 3d world does not feel like a legitimate successor to galaxy/sunshine/64. Smash and X very far away. No major surprises.

AzaK

Before anyone gets too excited, it does say " We will share new details on previously announced games for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS launching this year!"...

Though I'm hoping for a few surprises.
Everyone who would watch this knows what's coming. You need to build real excitement Nintendo with new, big stuff.

I mean... who knows if that's all they've been focused on.

Hard enough to get Nintendo to say anything about their own inhouse games let alone those from their overseas developers.

ASIS

30 minutes to discuss all 3DS and Wii U titles this year is not a lot. I don't expect any reveals outside of release dates.

Having said that, I look forward for more footage. I'm actually not all that hyped at all.. hmm.

What was wrong with the E3 direct other than unrealistic expectations? The games I saw looked great!

It's not about unrealistic expectations (IMO) but it's just the Directs doesn't have that WOW factor anymore. Nothing is surprising, it's like everything is known before the DIrects. I want to be amazed, I want my jaw to drop, I want to jump of joy...you get the idea.

noal

Banned
That's not the case. They are 100% focused on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Other projects in the near past included supervision of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and misc. work on Mario Kart 7.

Which is fine by me but don't Nintendo need a steady stream of strong games? Can they afford to let Retro only release two or three games a generation?

I was thinking along the lines of Rare where they could compliment Nintendo's output but would probably need to expand.

Maybe it's a good thing.

I think a game as quality as that takes longer than we know but if they have extra time and staff, maybe they will once again help on Kart to make sure it makes it out the date they gave.

Of course it'd be better if they had two projects but all signs point to that not being the case unless they are being sneaky.

Now if they helped on Mario Kart to try and get it out before Christmas then this would have been a huge boost to the Wii U but again they can only stretch so far with their numbers.

I suppose I would have hoped that Nintendo would have tried to lay the groundwork during the Wii's lull years but HD development seems to have caught them out slightly.

Regiruler

We'll probably get some sonic footage, probably a better quality trailer of that "summer of sonic" stuff and maybe another trailer for the 3DS version.

I don't understand the hate for Donkey kong WiiU.
It looks amazing. Will surely outclass NSMBU and the original Donkey Kong Returns.

Drago

Weren't we supposed to get WiiU GBA games in the summer, or am I making things up?

Either way I strongly suspect we're gonna see that tomorrow, maybe even given some games for free/.30¢ as a psuedo-WiiU ambassador program. Would be really nice!

Top Bottom