• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct WiiU/3DS @ 8/7 - NA: 7am PT, EU: 4pm CEST

Sendou

Which is fine by me but don't Nintendo need a steady stream of strong games? Can they afford to let Retro only release two or three games a generation?

I was thinking along the lines of Rare where they could compliment Nintendo's output but would probably need to expand.

Couldn't the same be said about Naughty Dog for example? They're over 250 people strong and released 4 games last generation. Retro has just over 100 and released two games in the same time span. It's just that good games take time. They could expand Retro but that might compromise the high Retro quality we know them for.

Wii U's steady stream of quality games is looking pretty good this second half of 2013. 2014 is still obviously a big question mark.

Shahadan

I don't understand the hate for Donkey kong WiiU.
It looks amazing. Will surely outclass NSMBU and the original Donkey Kong Returns.

People praised Retro as geniuses when DKCR came, a game people wanted for years, claimed Retro only could have managed to forge such a masterpiece.
Then Tropical Freeze is shown, suddenly they don't want that because it's not Metroid and proceed to claim someone else should have been doing it.

ASIS

People praised Retro as geniuses when DKCR came, a game people wanted for years, claimed Retro only could have managed to forge such a masterpiece.
Then Tropical Freeze is shown, suddenly they don't want that because it's not Metroid and proceed to claim someone else should have been doing it.

expectations VS. reality. Different situation, different time, different needs.

TDLink

Couldn't the same be said about Naughty Dogs for example? They're over 250 people strong and released 4 games last generation. Retro has just over 100 and released two games in the same time span. It's just that good games take time. They could expand Retro but that might compromise the high Retro quality we know them for.

Wii U's steady stream of quality games is looking pretty good this second half of 2013. 2014 is still obviously a big question mark.

I don't see how 2014 is a question mark.

Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
X
SMT X FE
Smash Bros 4
Yarn Yoshi
Steel Diver

That's 7 games already, most of them being big deals. I am sure there will be more as well but I think we know at least a good portion of next year's line up.

They'll still buy it.

Unless they hate platformers and the world.

AniHawk

wii u
wonderful 101 features, release date, and interview with director, hideo kojima
the wind waker hd new trailer, price, date, and bundle revealed ($349.99 for deluxe, tww hd + nintendoland)
wii party u release date
short sizzle reel of upcoming eshop games
short sizzle reel of other third-party games
segues into mario and sonic footage/trailer/date
donkey kong country tf new trailer with david wise music, release date, price
super mario 3d world release date, price, new trailer, interview with director shinji mikami

3ds
pokemon xy because i gotta bundle announced 3ds xl for $199.99
zelda a link between worlds trailer + release date + price
mario party 3ds release date + price
miiverse support announced for before the end of the year

special final announcement: because of the overwhelming support of earthbound, expect more about the series before the end of the year. (will eventually lead to mother 1 release on virtual console for $7.99 before christmas).

Shahadan

expectations VS. reality. Different situation, different time, different needs.

I don't care much for DK games and was disappointed both times they were announced , but people dismissing the game and reacting like Retro were working on Wii Music 2 was just cringe worthy.

Jockel

F-Zero GX HD,releasing tomorrow! Heard it here first.
I just gotta keep thinking about it, then it's eventually gonna happen, right? Right? :(

super mario 3d world release date, price, new trailer, interview with director shinji mikami

0d815624d201be28e69ecb2418df68e3.gif

Shahadan

People realize Nintendo said "games releasing this year" and they don't have the space to release a magical surprise game given their release schedule in the remaining months of 2013, right?

ASIS

I just call it throwing a childish tantrum on the Internet.

Give me DKC:TF. I am ready.

I don't care much for DK games and was disappointed both times they were announced , but people dismissing the game and reacting like Retro were working on Wii Music 2 was just cringe worthy.

Don't get me wrong, DKCR is my most anticipated title this holiday season (if GTAV counts, then it's my second most anticipated title). But re-using assets with the big twist being camera changes are not what people expected from Retro. Yeah the whining is annoying, but it is always annoying on the internet regardless of the case. I know I will love this game, but I also understand where other people are coming form.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
People realize Nintendo said "games releasing this year" and they don't have the space to release a magical surprise game given their release schedule in the remaining months of 2013, right?
They could probably be showing some eshop first party titles too.

Kouriozan

Well, Mario & Luigi 4 was announced like.... 3-4 months before the release?

TDLink

They could announce and release smaller eshop games on wii u like they have done with 3ds (and/or do more for 3ds).

Smash reveal is probably the best "surprise" you could hope for though.

In true ND hype spirit, here's my wish list:

Pokemon X/Y details as well as a new 6th gen Pokemon making it's Smash Bros. debut. Also some 3DSXL bundles for X/Y in NA (gold one pls).

Maybe that WWHD Wii U bundle everyone's talking about.

N64 on Wii U VC, GBA on 3DS VC.

More Super Mario 3D World footage, as well as more DKC:TF footage.

Maybe some solid dates for various titles.

And perhaps there'll be one tiny surprise.

m0t0k1

If they announce a release date for Harvest Moon a new beginning, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Phoenix Wright i am a happy man.

noal

Banned
Couldn't the same be said about Naughty Dogs for example? They're over 250 people strong and released 4 games last generation. Retro has just over 100 and released two games in the same time span. It's just that good games take time. They could expand Retro but that might compromise the high Retro quality we know them for.

Sure, good point.

When I see the new building in Japan being built and all the talk of merging home console and handheld resources it just seems to point to being a good idea to have a couple of teams at Retro seeing as Nintendo is extremely careful and picky when it comes to purchasing external studios.

I for one wouldn't like to think that after DK, Retro's next game won't be out till maybe 2015/16. Plus, being on a Nintendo console, unfortunately the gaps in between releases is so much more noticeable.

-PXG-

Wii U price cut
Mother 3 for VC
Smash Bros. news
Anything related to X
Yoshi Yarn footage
Majora's Mask remake tease...I know...it's never gonna happen :p

Shahadan

Well, Mario & Luigi 4 was announced like.... 3-4 months before the release?

Not my point, they have at least one game per month releasing on wii u until december, and almost that on 3Ds as well. Their is an empty spot since they delayed Mario golf iirc, but I don't see them releasing more games than that if they hope to sell them without cannibalizing themselves.

I agree on the Wii U eshop front though, it'd be about damn time they use that thing themselves.

Riki

Tropical Freeze is not a disappointment.

But 3D World sure is.
Personally, I don't think either is a disappointment. Would have been better to have two more original products from these teams, certainly.
But really, we're talking about a follow up to the second best 3D Mario (after Galaxy 2 of course) and the follow up to the best platformer of last generation.
And both seem to be adding far more than pretty much any sequel does and striving to eclipse their predecessor.

CrisKre

Im cautiously hyped. If only because there may be more footage of games Im excited about, namely Zelda WW HD, Zelda albtw, Donke Kong and S Mario 3d W. I really hope they show more of all this titles and don´t save for another direct two months from now.

I also want news on the summer Wii U update.

Not expecting any new games but I dont need any new announcements right now.

ivysaur12

Banned
So we're all expecting Mother 3 English, Mother 4 Wii U reveal, a price drop, a full X demo played by Soraya Saga, a new FPS Metroid, and a brand new swan song IP from Miyamoto for the Wii U?

Gotcha.

People screamed for months they wanted info on 3D Mario, X, MK, Smash, Bayo and shit. They got all that and were still whining because they didn't get a MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENT like platinum buy out or KH3 exclusive or some nonsense.

People here don't care about being shown how games are played or what new gameplay there is, they only want announcements announecements announcements os they can talk about it for days on a message board and get their kick out of it.

It's even the same about every conference ever, even MS or Sony's. As soon as someone talk about something else than a surprise announcement they yell "shut up show us games!" or "ffs where are the announcements!".

I honestly don't understand why people are even watching these things anymore. Just go take a shit and read the announcements afterwards for the same effect.

False. People didn't all of a sudden stop caring about 3D Mario because they are insatiable for announcements, but simply because the games look lazy as shit.
Two of Nintendo's most requested studios deliver their first HD games this year and they look like fucking 3DS efforts on first sight. Including gameplay that feels almost identical to their 3DS/last gen counterparts, so people indeed care about gameplay but the gameplay simply looks underwhelming.

Watch the reactions for the January Direct. They were positive almost everywhere. There's a reason people were then disappointed with the E3 and it's not hating for the sake of hating, but that the games/announcments really deserve all the shit they get.

Sendou

I don't see how 2014 is a question mark.

Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
X
SMT X FE
Smash Bros 4
Yarn Yoshi
Steel Diver

That's 7 games already, most of them being big deals. I am sure there will be more as well but I think we know at least a good portion of next year's line up.

The list you posted has 4 games that Nintendo has said are coming out in 2014. That's how I think it's a question mark.

TDLink

The list you posted has 4 games that Nintendo has said are coming out in 2014. That's how I think it's a question mark.

Nintendo doesn't really announce things for 2+ years in advance. Zelda is about the only exception. I don't expect any of those to be delayed until 2015 either. There is no way they are letting Smash slip and that is probably the big holiday game next year. The rest should all be before.

satoru-iwata-not-resigning.jpg

"PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THIS..."
★
☆
★
☆
★
☆
★
☆
★
☆
♥
♡
♥
♡
♥
♡
♥
♡
♥
♡
hXYX3DL.jpg

Log4Girlz

Its the secretive behavior and false rumors which lead to fantasies of an epic AAA budget title. Instead we got Tropical FreeZZZe.

Top Bottom