• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DMCAs Link's Awakening DX HD for PC.

Holammer

A new user on Itch.io called Linksawakeningdxhd uploaded a PC port of Link's Awakening two weeks ago and Nintendo just took it down.

The trailer for the port remains on Youtube for now.

The PC version is absolutely sublime and allows for a larger playfield and it's possible to zoom out and play with the entire island visible on screen. There's support for high refresh rates and it works perfectly on my 240hz display. Also various QoL changes and subtle lighting effects to enhance the look.
The file came with the source code and should be easily moddable.

For a deeper look into the game and its features, check out this random Youtuber showing the game to the first dungeon.

If you failed to pick it up, tough luck!

YLGDS.jpg

Mowcno

I'm glad not every company is as brutal as Nintendo. That Wipeout pc port didn't get dmca'd and Sega is quite friendly to fangames.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Watching that video where it zooms out, COOL SHIT. It's pretty easy to find anyways. Nintendo can't do the work themselves either so leave it to the community which it continues to shun.

Sleepwalker

I didn't download it (just found out about this) but I want to, I can guarantee I will have it in my PC within 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Someone should write an internal memo to Nintendo's very expensive, on retainer legal dept.

Subject:
You made us look like Dicks, again.

StereoVsn

Didn’t realize the modded bundled in the original ROM and music, lol. Still, amazing work and now that it’s there on the interwebs, good luck to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Larxia

Nintendo are always awful with things like this.
Even if it did include everything... I mean come on it's a 30 years old game, it's not hurting any sales at this point, it's just a passion work.

And it if bothers them that much, then they should just create something equivalent themselves, officially, but if they aren't willing to, they shouldn't react like this.

Not surprised, Nintendo has always been a bunch of douchebags when it comes to stuff like this. They'll put minimal effort into virtually any port or way to play a game nowadays but strike down genuinely good projects. Nintendo is against game preservation, ports like OOT 3D or MM are stuck on dead systems with no hope of being ported. Instead, they'll take the lazy way out for everything.

Although they did remake Link's Awakening, I don't get why they're so mad about a port of a 30 year old game.

bender

What time is it?
It's the obvious outcome especially when Nintendo has multiple current offerings of this product they are trying to sell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it still available 'online' online?

NIntendo ain't gonna be able to scrub the internet.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
PHWOAR.

Time to replay the best Zelda game yet again? Might just be.

At least the government is smart enough to hire the people who crack into the Pentagon for shits and giggles, granted it's at the muzzle of a gun.

Nintendo, this guy loves your games so damn much he made this incredible thing for free, hire him for God's sake.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Another thread condoning piracy
I have more issues with the rampant hypocrisy.
For a forum where “commie” is a word that pops up pretty frequently, it’s amazing how many people seem to believe that when it comes to Nintendo games, everyone should be freely allowed to do whatever they want, from piracy to modding to illegal distribution, and Nintendo should just STFU and deal with it. The absolute corporate bastards!

Top Bottom