• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DMCAs Link's Awakening DX HD for PC.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Thanks for taking this down, Nintendo! Otherwise I never would have heard of it. Now I can download it from one of the many reuploads and play it for myself. The Streisand effect strikes again!
qMjuMIA.gif

Holammer

this seems like it would neuter a lot of challenge in dungeons and even the overworld since you can see what's around you at all times
You can zoom in if you don't like the novelty of it. It's a fun feature for those of us that played the game a couple of times.

Thanks Nintendo for all that noise. I did not know this was a thing, and I love it... and I'm pretty shure, I'm not the only one!

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I know a mod deleted my post but it was a facebook farting prank. I really laughed hard at that too FFS lol

A new user on Itch.io called Linksawakeningdxhd uploaded a PC port of Link's Awakening two weeks ago and Nintendo just took it down.

The trailer for the port remains on Youtube for now.

The PC version is absolutely sublime and allows for a larger playfield and it's possible to zoom out and play with the entire island visible on screen. There's support for high refresh rates and it works perfectly on my 240hz display. Also various QoL changes and subtle lighting effects to enhance the look.
The file came with the source code and should be easily moddable.

For a deeper look into the game and its features, check out this random Youtuber showing the game to the first dungeon.

Just downloaded it after 5 whole minutes of looking lmao

Tams

Eh, it's Nintendo's property and they didn't strip it of the game files.

Anyway, zooming out to the entire map is cool but stupid and pointless.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Like it was said before: Nintendo should hire this guy and let him do "Links Awakening 99" for Nintendo Online.

chlorate

This demonstrates why the DMCA alone is simply not enough to protect Nintendo’s IP, we need something stronger, some way of retroactively deleting the content from thieves’ hard drives and identifying to Nintendo who stole the game

pepodmc_

This demonstrates why the DMCA alone is simply not enough to protect Nintendo’s IP, we need something stronger, some way of retroactively deleting the content from thieves’ hard drives and identifying to Nintendo who stole the game
if nintendo could it would XD
It does not happen only because it is legally unfeasible

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Eh, the concept of zoomed-out view fundamentally breaks the intended gameplay.

It's not really a port once you include that, it's a totally new thing/remix.

I guess it's neat if you think that view works, but it kills the all basic parts of the aesthetic and wandering dynamic.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Too late Nintendo I downloaded it the moment it was released so now it can sit on my backlog indefinitely just like the rest ofy gaming library

Tarin02543

the excitement in this thread makes it seem like we are back in 1993

well nintendo, you should have made this game yourselves years ago

SpiceRacz

This is probably my favorite thing I've played this year. I fucking love Link's Awakening and I'm getting more out of this than I did with the Switch remake.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
A new user on Itch.io called Linksawakeningdxhd uploaded a PC port of Link's Awakening two weeks ago and Nintendo just took it down.

The trailer for the port remains on Youtube for now.

The PC version is absolutely sublime and allows for a larger playfield and it's possible to zoom out and play with the entire island visible on screen. There's support for high refresh rates and it works perfectly on my 240hz display. Also various QoL changes and subtle lighting effects to enhance the look.
The file came with the source code and should be easily moddable.

For a deeper look into the game and its features, check out this random Youtuber showing the game to the first dungeon.

If you failed to pick it up, tough luck!

YLGDS.jpg

Yeah sure it’s lost now because nintendo banned it.

Pokemon prism

Filben

I like the subtle changes like additional sounds, small screen shake when getting hit, faster text speed and better font spacing, faster pushing blocks and so on. They also fixed some oddities I'm still doing from time to time in the original version like the moonwalk.

Only downside is that even on the highest zoom you can still see beyond some ocean animations (at least on an ultra wide screen), breaking the immersion a bit. I think the confined map tiles added to the confined space of an island and worked great for the time.

Wonder if there are new bugs in it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I just made this wallpaper

links-awakening.png

What a beautiful game.
It's wild that such a big area is dedicated to a mini-game. The game seemed so big back then, yet apparently they still had that big chunk of the map left over when all the main areas were finalized and decided to use it for something completely optional.

Top Bottom