• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (don't) change NNID policy (?)

This honestly pleases me. The more vitriol I see for their shitty account system, the happier it makes me. This is why I keep saying that no game they could show at E3 would please me more than a unified account system. I cannot justify making use of Nintendo's eshop when my digital purchases are tied to a console, and that weakens the overall experience of owning their consoles. I want a bunch of old school games on my Nintendo systems, but not when they're not actually entitled to me like my PSN or XBL downloads.

Sometimes shit happens and you have to sell or get rid of a console for whatever reason. I recently had a lot of unforeseen expenses arise and had to part with a lot of things including my PS4. Well, no worries there, when I can get around to getting another PS4, I can just log into my PSN account and restore everything. No big deal. The same doesn't apply with any of Nintendo's consoles, and there's no reason for it other than sheer incompetence.

Nintendo never intended to make any form of political commentary by linking your country to your Nintendo Network ID. The functionality in our service represents a playful alternate world rather than a real-life online infrastructure. We hope that all of our fans will see that the eShop was intended to be a whimsical and quirky service, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide political commentary.

The Boat

You guessed wrong

Edit: Isn't the new addition LOCKING YOUR GAMES BECAUSE YOU VISIT ANOTHER COUNTRY?

No one does that.
Don't change the country on your console and everything stays the same. It's still a ridiculous, ridiculous thing of course, not in any way defending it.

jimi_dini

Gestault

I can't see any reasonable value in this, even ignoring the obvious frustration from customers.

If as a licensing party, your products can't motivate sales performance to a point where travelling/moving customers won't undercut the value of your publishing deal, your product must be incredibly weak in the marketplace. I think this is a legitimately anti-consumer policy to suddenly put into place.

Pappasman

That's not what it says at all. It says that if you move to another country you will not be able to change your NNID to match your location.

What they are trying to say is that you will not be able to use the native eShop in your new country without a new account/device. You are already locked in to US/EU/JP region settings when you buy the console.

Pretty much this. It sounds like you will be locked to whatever eshop you choose. Not geofiltering.

Oh but don't let me stop the thread from overreacting as usual. smfh.

thefro

Exactly, we already knew this. They are not IP locking the eShop and not locking you out of your content. All this says is that NNIDs are bound to the original region settings, i.e. if you move from America to Europe and buy a new PAL 3DS, your old US NNID will not be usable on it. If you have a US machine and take it abroad it will still work perfectly normally, it's about transferring accounts to a different region's hardware.

GAF freaking out over nothing.

Exactly, it's just saying if they move and buy a different region console their NNID may not work. Keeps them from getting sued.

Sandfox

Exactly, we already knew this. They are not IP locking the eShop and not locking you out of your content. All this says is that NNIDs are bound to the original region settings, i.e. if you move from America to Europe and buy a new PAL 3DS, your old US NNID will not be usable on it. If you have a US machine and take it abroad it will still work perfectly normally, it's about transferring accounts to a different region's hardware.

GAF freaking out over nothing.

This is kinda funny lol.

This was also already the case mid 2013.

https://web.archive.org/web/2013061...urope.com/terms/wiiu/WiiU_NetworkEULA_AU.html

(effectively Last updated: 30 November 2012)

Which means it hasn't changed. This was always there.

Now this is even funnier because it shows that nobody did their research before making the claim.

Nintendo never intended to make any form of political commentary by linking your country to your Nintendo Network ID. The functionality in our service represents a playful alternate world rather than a real-life online infrastructure. We hope that all of our fans will see that the eShop was intended to be a whimsical and quirky service, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide political commentary.

Too soon.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't change the country on your console and everything stays the same. It's still a ridiculous, ridiculous thing of course, not in any way defending it.

But this restriction isn't new. It was there since launch, you can't use different NNID country and console country and access the eshop and online.

Yasumi

Banned
So they want you to create a new account for whatever region you're traveling to, on the region-locked hardware to access the eshop for this new region? I don't think that would even work because region locks. Or do they actually expect you to buy new hardware for the region you're moving into? Fucking hell, Nintendo.

Harlock

Great. IP Region lock. This will be wonderful for people in countries with shit Nintendo estore who uses north-america accounts.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait, so it's always been like that, and nothing has changed (or improved, unfortunately)? Are we sure about that

@EmCeeGmr: Fantastic :lol

Buzzman

Banned
For your convenience, Nintendo has been hard at work on a revolutionary new system where you will only be matched with players within 5 miles of your location to minimize lag and maximize responsiveness when playing online!

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I feel stupid for misunderstanding the situation completely. I understood it as Nintendo forcing you to create a *new* account for every region you're in and that, let's say, a Swedish account would only be functional in Sweden.

Oops. Now I can go back to what I was doing.

"If you move to another country, you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID (including Digital Products) and you may have to create another Nintendo Network ID if you want to enjoy Nintendo Network in this new country"

So they haven't decided yet?

Teknoman

ibhatRTJ7wkSru.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So they want you to create a new account for whatever region you're traveling to, on the region-locked hardware to access the eshop for this new region? I don't think that would even work because region locks. Or do they actually expect you to buy new hardware for the region you're moving into? Fucking hell, Nintendo.

They expect you to buy hardware that matches the region of eShop you want to access, as was always the case. Want the JP eShop? Buy a JP console. Want US? Buy a US machine. Once you set up your NNID you are bound to whatever state/location you chose from the region-specific list associated with the hardware. That's all this user agreement is saying, the part in question is talking about migrating from US account to an EU account. That's not possible.

When does it get to the point with Nintendo when you just say "If you're not a developer/artist/designer, you're fired"?

Iwata doesn't want to fire anyone.
Which is probably part of the problem, as employing complete incompetents is the only explanation for some of this shit.

Shiina

"If you move to another country, you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID (including Digital Products) and you may have to create another Nintendo Network ID if you want to enjoy Nintendo Network in this new country"

'may' is usually PR BS for 'you bet your ass this will happen'

It's my ONLY way of getting games here in Brazil for my PAL console

Damn, the worst of both worlds.

No, it's just formal english.

Social

Why would anyone buy any digital product from Nintendo? No, seriously, I'm asking because people apparently do so.

It's my ONLY way of getting games here in Brazil for my PAL console

So I have a PAL WiiU bought in Belgium and I use it in Brazil, I use the Belgian and UK eShop and have various games in digital form.

am I fucked?

Mael

GAF freaking out over nothing. These restrictions were explained in detail when they announced NNIDs.

Ok if this is this, I don't care about the whole thing.
I mean if I move to the other side of the planet and can still access the original and everything it's not ideal but ok.
If it's what is implied by the title, I'm actually selling all my shit and never touching anything they do ever again.

prag16

Banned
That's exactly what it means:

It can't mean that, at least in terms of digital content already saved on the system. You can play downloaded eshop stuff offline, so there's no way it would lock you out of that in a different region. Redownloading stuff or online play on the other hand...

EDIT: Well, if this is accurate then this is much ado over nothing (at least over nothing new):'

GAF freaking out over nothing. These restrictions were explained in detail when they announced NNIDs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, let's do something better.

Here's the archived agreement version (from June, 2013)

1.2 Nintendo Network ID

To use Nintendo Network you must register a Nintendo Network ID. You must provide accurate and complete data during the registration and update your registration data if they change.

The Nintendo Network ID is linked to your country of residence that you indicated during the registration. If you move to another country, you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID (including Digital Products) and you may have to create another Nintendo Network ID if you want to enjoy Nintendo Network in this new country. If you move back to the country, in which your Nintendo Network ID was registered, you will be able to use your original Nintendo Network ID again.

Here's the new version, effective from this June

1.2 Nintendo Network ID

To use Nintendo Network you must register a Nintendo Network ID. You must provide accurate and complete data during the registration and update your registration data if they change.

The Nintendo Network ID is linked to your country of residence that you indicated during the registration. If you move to another country, you may not be able to use your Nintendo Network ID (including Digital Products) and you may have to create another Nintendo Network ID if you want to enjoy Nintendo Network in this new country. If you move back to the country, in which your Nintendo Network ID was registered, you will be able to use your original Nintendo Network ID again.

They seem to be exactly the same.

The Boat

But this restriction isn't new. It was there since launch, you can't use different NNID country and console country and access the eshop and online.
Yes, I see that, which is why I said it will affect no one :p it's still stupid, even if it's the same as it ever was.
I feel stupid for misunderstanding the situation completely. I understood it as Nintendo forcing you to create a *new* account for every region you're in and that, let's say, a Swedish account would only be functional in Sweden.

Oops. Now I can go back to what I was doing.
It's OK, we're all human ;)

This is probably to try to prevent efforts to change country in order to get cheaper prices, but the fact that they explicitly mention that you run the risk of losing your account and all your digital games if you move country? What the fuck are you doing, Nintendo?

Keyouta

Whether or not this policy has always been there, more attention has to be drawn to how horrible Nintendo's network is and what needs to be changed. I think making a big fuss over it is good.

massoluk

Banned
People are so naive, of course they are smart enough to do this. Nnid locked in hardware is not some oversight by people 'out of touch' or whatever the meme is, it was done on purpose with the specific intent of making it difficult to move software between different machines.
What I mean is that I don't think they are proficient enough technologically to actually do this

Top Bottom