• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (don't) change NNID policy (?)

zruben

Banned
I think all of this is kind of proving my point. It's convoluted and people shouldn't need Nintendo's "help" to do something like this.

while I agree with you on this... the whole point of Nintendo's backward online policies are to prevent "digital share" of the games.

let's not fool ourselves, everyone does it on the PS3 because it's easy, cheap and convenient.

Sami+

I don't think I was "flinging shit" just making an observation.

But we had a thread about it on GAF.

An observation accusing the forum of supposed double standards and hypocrisy.

And that thread you linked is nowhere near equivalent to what the policy in this topic was largely interpreted as. You can rest assured that Sony region locking your PSN ID to your country of origin, it'd make a few waves on GAF.

There was also the whole #DRIVECLUB debacle, which a lot of people criticised them for.

Mael

while I agree with you on this... the whole point of Nintendo's backward online policies are to prevent "digital share" of the games.

let's not fool ourselves, everyone does it on the PS3 because it's easy, cheap and convenient.

I guess that's why they worked on a way to monetize people's library via the subscription model.
They don't really care if people share the games they have since they're "offering" them anyway.
Dear Nintendo fans in the military,

Fuck you.

-- Signed, Nintendo
How about you read the OP and the thread?

I think all of this is kind of proving my point. It's convoluted and people shouldn't need Nintendo's "help" to do something like this.

Oh, yeah, I agree with you that it should be something that should be possible without Nintendo's intervention. The point of the discussion was whether or not moving your NNID to a new console is possible, though. And it is.

Sony allowed for more sharing at first but then placed a huge restriction on it. You can still do that with a handful of accounts but it's their choice to allow it. Why can't Nintendo have an online account system that can't be shared? Can you share digital content between different Xbox accounts?

zruben

Banned
I guess that's why they worked on a way to monetize people's library via the subscription model.
They don't really care if people share the games they have since they're "offering" them anyway.

while I agree with you that the PS Plus is a great business move for Sony; I can download a full (bought) game (hell, his whole digital library) from a friend's account on my PS3 without either of us having PS Plus. I can't do that with Nintendo, thanks to their backward (for us) policies

Sony allowed for more sharing at first but then placed a huge restriction on it. You can still do that with a handful of accounts but it's their choice to allow it. Why can't Nintendo have an online account system that can't be shared? Can you share digital content between different Xbox accounts?

umm.. that's the whole problem with their account system.

while I agree with you that the PS Plus is a great business move for Sony; I can download a full (bought) game from a friend's account on my PS3 without either of us having PS Plus. I can't do that with Nintendo, thanks to their backward (for us) policies

See, I don't even necessarily think that people should be allowed to share digital games like that. I always just looked at it as an extremely nice gesture from Sony. All I want is one Nintendo account and when I buy digital content on whatever console be it 3DS or Wii U, those purchases are tied to that account. If something happens to my Nintendo system, or I sell it, or take a sledgehammer to it, I should be able to get another console and log into my Nintendo Network account or whatever and have my digital purchases without hassle or especially without having to call them.

umm.. that's the whole problem with their account system.

I disagree, for me this isn't even something I need. That's the same thing as buying one copy of a game and being able to turn it into several.

Mael

Can you give an example on what you mean I feel like I may miss something here.
Also on WiiU, everything bought on a system by 1 account is accessible by all accounts on the system (linked to nnid or not).
Said content cannot be share to multiple systems (your account is limited to 1 system anyway).
that's a design choice, not sure I'd call that backward either, depends on the usecase.
e: you clarified, I think we agree here.
while I agree with you that the PS Plus is a great business move for Sony; I can download a full (bought) game (hell, his whole digital library) from a friend's account on my PS3 without either of us having PS Plus. I can't do that with Nintendo, thanks to their backward (for us) policies

Nah it's because Nintendo put way more value on their software than Sony, that's also why they don't like discounts on their product like sony does with Platinium program.

zruben

Banned
See, I don't even necessarily think that people should be allowed to share digital games like that. I always just looked at it as an extremely nice gesture from Sony. All I want is one Nintendo account and when I buy digital content on whatever console be it 3DS or Wii U, those purchases are tied to that account. If something happens to my Nintendo system, or I sell it, or take a sledgehammer to it, I should be able to get another console and log into my Nintendo Network account or whatever and have my digital purchases without hassle or especially without having to call them.

I disagree, for me this isn't even something I need. That's the same thing as buying one copy of a game and being able to turn it into several.

well, that hassle is what prevents us to share digital games with our friends... I know it's more convenient for us that they make it as easier as PS3...

and the hassle is kind of a "myth" at this point. My WiiU broke and after buying a new one, it only took me 5 minutes on the phone to report it and about 1 hour for them to relink my NNiD to my new console.

Again... I'm not defending them, I'm also on board that the whole NNiD thing is very backwards... but I can understand why they do it... maybe sharing digital games is something you're not interested in, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the users would do it if they have the chance.

Mael

well, that hassle is what prevents us to share digital games with our friends... I know it's more convenient for us that they make it as easier as PS3...

and the hassle is kind of a "myth" at this point. My WiiU broke and after buying a new one, it only took me 5 minutes on the phone to report it and about 1 hour for them to relink my NNiD to my new console.

Again... I'm not defending them, I'm also on board that the whole NNiD thing is very backwards... but I can understand why they do it... maybe sharing digital games is something you're not interested in, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the users would do it if they have the chance.

You can share digital content between accounts, they just have to be on the same system.
They're pretty coherent, they're pushing local functions while making online capabilities take a backseat.
It's a conscious choice they made.
Not being able to spawn digital content is pretty much something Nintendo is absolutely for I'm 100% sure.
They put tremendous value in their content and wishes that customers see their product as premium (software included).
They view anything that could diminish the value of their content as a threat to their business model.
It's kinda like Windows/Office for Microsoft, they don't really about anything but this, any threat to this have #1 priority.
What Sony is doing with sharing/spawning is not promoting how premium their software is, so don't expect Nintendo to follow that's unlikely to happen

Can you give an example on what you mean I feel like I may miss something here.

Okay. There are two different conversations going on here I think.

1. I'm arguing that the current account system sucks because you cannot make an account, like an Xbox Live or Playstation Network account that serves as your digitally-purchased content hub. Instead, when you make a Nintendo Network ID, the Nintendo Network ID is locked to the hardware. If you get another Wii U for example, you can transfer that NNID to the new Wii U. What you cannot do is get rid of your Wii U, then get another Wii U on down the line and still possess that same NNID that holds your purchased content. My argument is that the Nintendo Network ID should just be one singular, unified account where all your purchases go and are stored indefinitely in the exact same way that your Playstation or Xbox or whatever else purchases are tied to those accounts. You can buy another Playstation or Xbox and simply log into your accounts for those and instantly repossess your purchases.

2. Others are talking about account sharing, which has nothing at all to do with what I'm talking about. You can account share between a handful of PS3 users, but it used to be more and Sony restricted that down by quite a bit. I feel like that's a nice thing to be able to do, but even if you couldn't share PSN accounts, I still wouldn't have problem with it because it's a proper account system that is not tied to hardware. If you do whatever with your PS3, you can just get another PS3 and apply your Playstation Network account to that PS3 and bam, you have everything you've ever purchased through that account.

Mael

1. I'm arguing that the current account system sucks because you cannot make an account, like an Xbox Live or Playstation Network account that serves as your digitally-purchased content hub. Instead, when you make a Nintendo Network ID, the Nintendo Network ID is locked to the hardware. If you get another Wii U for example, you can transfer that NNID to the new Wii U. What you cannot do is get rid of your Wii U, then get another Wii U on down the line and still possess that same NNID that holds your purchased content. My argument is that the Nintendo Network ID should just be one singular, unified account where all your purchases go and are stored indefinitely in the exact same way that your Playstation or Xbox or whatever else purchases are tied to those accounts. You can buy another Playstation or Xbox and simply log into your accounts for those and instantly repossess your purchases.

That's the NNID, now no purchase is tied to hardware.
Everything is tied to NNID (if you have one, if you haven't it's hardware based).
However the NNID is linked to 1 hardware, you cannot access content on a hardware that is not linked to the content's account.
You can unlink and link again NNID for further use.
The only thing they're missing really is a clear way to unlink the NNID so that if you get rid of your stuffs you can access it again.
There's a thread here hinting at that already being possible.
But so far all purchase are tied to the account if you use one, that's done and over already.
Now they need to make content that are cross platform because I'm not rebuying OoT for the 10th time.

2. Others are talking about account sharing, which has nothing at all to do with what I'm talking about. You can account share between a handful of PS3 users, but it used to be more and Sony restricted that down by quite a bit. I feel like that's a nice thing to be able to do, but even if you couldn't share PSN accounts, I still wouldn't have problem with it because it's a proper account system that is not tied to hardware. If you do whatever with your PS3, you can just get another PS3 and apply your Playstation Network account to that PS3 and bam, you have everything you've ever purchased through that account.
Account sharing is something I think that they know happen and are adamantly against, unless they change their view on it that's never happening because they view it as a way to make their devalue their product.
considering the harsh words they have mobile that did just that...

doraemoe

I can't understand the OP, Isn't this the policy of almost all online services? I'm using a lot of online services that not availiable in my country and they said I cannot use it in my country, but I still use them without problems(maybe some purchase problem, but I have workaround anyway)

Mael

I can't understand the OP, Isn't this the policy of almost all online services? I'm using a lot of online services that not availiable in my country and they said I cannot use it in my country, but I still use them without problems(maybe some purchase problem, but I have workaround anyway)

It's not even that, the policy is that once you have selected a country you can't change it basically.

But so far all purchase are tied to the account if you use one, that's done and over already.

So if I were to go out and buy a new Wii U right now, I can get on it and log into my old NNID that I made on another console last year sometime and get all of my digital purchases back?

Mael

So if I were to go out and buy a new Wii U right now, I can get on it and log into my old NNID that I made on another console last year sometime and get all of my digital purchases back?

You would need to unlink your old NNID from the old WiiU.
Alas there probably no way to do that when you sold your old WiiU so it's probably still linked, you should be able to contact them and make them unlink your NNID for you.

This isn't ideal and it's really BS, they need a website where you can manage your NNID like yesterday and I think that's where the real problem is.
Why the fuck didn't they merge all their online services/club Nintendo into 1 single account and make the necessary settings available I have no idea but that's probably because they're understaffed.
Thinking about it, it's something that I wouldn't have tolerated from any other company, I guess I have that blindspot for game companies :/

Alas there probably no way to do that when you sold your old WiiU so it's probably still linked, you should be able to contact them and make them unlink your NNID for you.

This isn't ideal and it's really BS, they need a website where you can manage your NNID like yesterday and I think that's where the real problem is.

This is all I'm trying to say and I think we're actually on the same page. It's a mess and needs far better structuring and the ability for users to be able to say log into their account on the internet and manage/see their account, much like you can with the PSN for example.

zruben

Banned
You can share digital content between accounts, they just have to be on the same system.
They're pretty coherent, they're pushing local functions while making online capabilities take a backseat.
It's a conscious choice they made.
Not being able to spawn digital content is pretty much something Nintendo is absolutely for I'm 100% sure.
They put tremendous value in their content and wishes that customers see their product as premium (software included).
They view anything that could diminish the value of their content as a threat to their business model.
It's kinda like Windows/Office for Microsoft, they don't really about anything but this, any threat to this have #1 priority.
What Sony is doing with sharing/spawning is not promoting how premium their software is, so don't expect Nintendo to follow that's unlikely to happen

yeah, I agree with all that. I don't expect Nintendo to follow, I'm just "putting on the table" the obvious main reason why they chose to do that...

well, I think your whole point 1 has some misinformation... your NNiD registers all your digital purchases, and you can redownload them if you link it to a new hardware (with all the "hassle", of course)...

it works like the PSN or Xbox account... you just need an extra step, a phone call to nintendo's customer service.

and I KNOW that in your particular case, you don't care about digital sharing,... but Nintendo does,... and that's why they have some locks here and there to prevent that.

Welp, this sucks :(

LOL, welcome to the thread, I would recommend you to read it.

Mael

This is all I'm trying to say and I think we're actually on the same page. It's a mess and needs far better structuring and the ability for users to be able to say log into their account on the internet and manage/see their account, much like you can with the PSN for example.

Exactly, it shoudl be noted that sony didn't put that in 1 day either, so I don't feel like we should blame them for not doing things in the most timely manner either.
They clearly understand that they have a pb and need to address it (cf their investor Q&A).

Then just use 2 accounts? That's how I do with iTunes, PSN, etc...
Yes?

yeah, I agree with all that. I don't expect Nintendo to follow, I'm just "putting on the table" the obvious main reason why they chose to do that...

Well ok but to me it's really on the same page as "put pkmn on ios" as far as policy goes.

I think they're putting the infrastructure in place, the way they communicate now make me think that they're making a whole Nintendo platform to access services on mulitple devices (systems they sell, phones, web) and this could answer all our need as far as content management goes, I genuinely think it's coming.

Exactly, it shoudl be noted that sony didn't put that in 1 day either, so I don't feel like we should blame them for not doing things in the most timely manner either.

That's being polite I think; we're approaching two years into the second Wii generation, and they still haven't addressed it. It's something that should have been over and done with on day one.

MilkybKid

Neo Member

Well you don't need to argue, as the bolded part is how it currently works anyway! You can get rid of your WiiU and keep your NNID (as long as you just remove the ID from the console before you sell it obviously, that's remove, not delete, don't do what the other gaffer did and select the wrong option. It spawned a very long thread!), get a new console later, phone Nintendo and they will link it all up for you! Its how it currently works, yes your account is linked to the console but your purchases are linked to your ACCOUNT. Your account and console can be unlinked, while keeping your purchases.

To make it simple since I've seen this discussed a lot of times and people don't seem to understand it, the badly asciied arrows are links.

Games ----------------------------> Account ------------------------------> Console

You can remove a link :

Games ----------------------------> Account Console

Then get a new console :

Games ----------------------------> Account Console 2

Then you will have to phone Nintendo to the next bit, yes its a bit backwards, but its better than not being able to, relink:

Games ----------------------------> Account ------------------------------> Console 2

So there is no real argument here, your just ill-informed by the people that shout "Nintendo has no accounts system" without the actual facts. I don't blame you, its shouted all the time in all locations and the actual fact of the matter gets drowned out every time :/

Mael

That's being polite I think; we're approaching two years into the second Wii generation, and they still haven't addressed it. It's something that should have been over and done with on day one.

Well looking back, DS and Wii really didn't need it....
Ok DS didn't need any kind of account and really wasn't made with any account in mind.
Wii should have been made with a more modern design because it carried a lot of legacy to it that made it really shitty to manage content (remember the fridge?).
Their idea of Virtual Console platform is still unrealized to this day and it's probably the best idea anyone ever had for digital content (basically Virtual Console is the sole and only platform to access all legacy content) it's their biggest asset and they do jack with it.
I can't fault them for the 3DS it had far bigger problem to deal with and I think it's their best effort yet...
On WiiU they did everything wrong and were really caught with their collective pant down.
No software, no way to manage content, no way to manage content.
It's getting better but seriously they shouldn't have lost so much time with that.
Really the only thing missing is a website to manage account access really, that would solve their perception issue that they still don't have an account system.
That's not true, it's the NNID.

So there is no real argument here, your just ill-informed by the people that shout "Nintendo has no accounts system" without the actual facts. I don't blame you, its shouted all the time.

Every single time I've looked into the matter, both by reading the fine print and asking others about it, it seemed that once you unlink your NNID, you can only re-link it to the Wii U it was created on. But whatever, regardless, even if I'm completely wrong and that's not the case, what I'm still asking for is an account system similar to that of Sony's and Microsoft's, where I can actually log into it online, see everything, manage it, and apply it to any future console I buy without having to ring up Nintendo.

In fact, the last time I tried to restore my content to a new 3DS, the Nintendo rep I spoke to over the phone blatantly told me that since they have no evidence that the previous 3DS I used to own belonged to me that they could not reinstate my purchases since I didn't have the previous 3DS and couldn't give them the serial number (despite my 3DS serial number being visible on my Club Nintendo account but that's a whole other ballgame right there). This shouldn't even be a thing, period.

Mael

Every single time I've looked into the matter, both by reading the fine print and asking others about it, it seemed that once you unlink your NNID, you can only re-link it to the Wii U it was created on. But whatever, regardless, even if I'm completely wrong and that's not the case, what I'm still asking for is an account system similar to that of Sony's and Microsoft's, where I can actually log into it online, see everything, manage it, and apply it to any future console I buy without having to ring up Nintendo.

In fact, the last time I tried to restore my content to a new 3DS, the Nintendo rep I spoke to over the phone blatantly told me that since they have no evidence that the previous 3DS I used to own belonged to me that they could not reinstate my purchases since I didn't have the previous 3DS and couldn't give them the serial number (despite my 3DS serial number being visible on my Club Nintendo account but that's a whole other ballgame right there). This shouldn't even be a thing, period.

Actually I stand corrected, they need the website and to fire their incompetent helpdesk.

Kiote

:/

You can, in fact, simply call Nintendo and have them unlink your NNID from the old console so you can register it on your new console.

The only feature missing, is being able to do this from the new console itself.

The other problem people have had with their NNIDs is that you can delete it entirely, instead of simply removing it, from the console. When you do this, you lose all your purchases. That sadly comes down to not reading before doing.

Kiote

Happened before 3DS had NNIDs didn't it?

Mael

You can, in fact, simply call Nintendo and have them unlink your NNID from the old console so you can register it on your new console.

It's 2014, people shouldn't to call support for that.
That's what websites are for, make it possible to log to a website using the NNID to be able to manage your account access yourself and be done with it, make a process to unlink it yourself and everything.
Support should only be there to handle actual problem.
The bonus of this solution is that you can link this to club nintendo/fidelity program and have an global face to the company for the users.
It goes a long way into making them not look like cro magnon of the online world too.

The other problem people have had with their NNIDs is that you can delete it entirely, instead of simply removing it, from the console. When you do this, you lose all your purchases. That sadly comes down to not reading before doing.

No one should be able to delete users in database anyway, that's randomly stupid anyway.

Kiote

It's 2014, people shouldn't to call support for that.
That's what websites are for, make it possible to log to a website using the NNID to be able to manage your account access yourself and be done with it, make a process to unlink it yourself and everything.
Support should only be there to handle actual problem.
The bonus of this solution is that you can link this to club nintendo/fidelity program and have an global face to the company for the users.
It goes a long way into making them not look like cro magnon of the online world too.

No one should be able to delete users in database anyway, that's randomly stupid anyway.

I agree on both points, but you have to give Nintendo a little credit. After completely dropping the ball on this, they have turned it around pretty fast. I wouldn't doubt these issue are addressed in one of the next two major System Updates.

I agree on both points, but you have to give Nintendo a little credit. After completely dropping the ball on this, they have turned it around pretty fast. I wouldn't doubt these issue are addressed in one of the next two major System Updates.

Let's hope so. It's really bumming me out... apparently more so than others. :p

AzaK

Why are they actively making NNIDs even more restrictive? It was bad enough when it was tied to the console you registered it on, unable to be moved without sending the whole damn unit into Nintendo itself.
Because they are control freaks and do not have a customer facing view of gaming.

Mael

They're moving way faster than before that's for sure, I mean could you imagine Yamauchi era Nintendo reacting to the Tomodachi controversy?
Heck for the website they shoudln't even need any update to WiiUs or 3DS.
The good thing is they kept legacy stuffs totally separate from their current platforms so they have limited the amount of work needed.

Because they are control freaks and do not have a customer facing view of gaming.

Hello welcome to the thread, enjoy your stay.
Please read the thread before going on a rampage.

boiled goose

good with gravy

You should be able to accesss your Nintendo id info and choose which hardware it is linked to from all consoles and online on a web browser.

As for the people defending Nintendo by saying that they don't want you to share content the solution is quite easy. You can only link to one hardware type at a time. You can link one wii one wiiu one 3ds one 2ds etc at a time. Problem solved.

Any revenue losses from slight exploitation of the system is not worth entire customers lost from ass backwards policy.

I am a big fan of Nintendo games yet I have not bought a 3ds or wiiu and stopped buying digital content of the wii because of this single issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Not having their shit together online puts a big asterisk of risk with the purchase of every single Nintendo product.

Kiote

As for the people defending Nintendo by saying that they don't want you to share content the solution is quite easy. You can only link to one hardware type at a time. You can link one wii one wiiu one 3ds one 2ds etc at a time. Problem solved.

That's how it works right now. Except the Wii is no longer supported and will not recieve NNIDs and 2DS is considered a 3DS.

This is bad. Start making some noise, people. We got a response with the whole Tomodachi thing, so...

The response didn't actually respond to what people wanted and let's not forget Nintendo's official position regarding petitions:

I have to tell you—it doesn’t affect what we do. We certainly look at it, and we’re certainly aware of it, but it doesn’t necessarily affect what we do.

And this was an answer to: "Going off of that, how much do what fans want or say influence your decisions?"

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/0...wii-u-western-development-operation-rainfall/

UP3wyVb.gif

You should be able to accesss your Nintendo id info and choose which hardware it is linked to from all consoles and online on a web browser.

I am a big fan of Nintendo games yet I have not bought a 3ds or wiiu and stopped buying digital content of the wii because of this single issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Not having their shit together online puts a big asterisk of risk with the purchase of every single Nintendo product.

pWY4yS1.jpg

Gartooth

It is hilarious that this comes up while Microsoft is doing their best to earn back goodwill with Xbox Live Gold changes.

Nintendo just doesn't care about these kinds of things, and users had to scream out loud for an eternity to even get an equivalent to an account system. After all this time, Nintendo is still playing by their rules where they don't give a shit if people hate how they handled their hardware, or their OS, or their online features, because at the end of the day they think people will begrudgingly buy their stuff just to play the latest iterations of Nintendo IP. Thing is, aside from their incredibly loyal group of fans, the rest of the market has rejected this idea with the core gamer market probably being forever lost to them. Good luck to any group of people who hope that they can sway Nintendo's viewpoint on things like region-locking.

MilkybKid

Neo Member

You have one you just need ot phone them up, its as simple as that. Not gonna bother discussing this with you any more, i have given a clear explanation of how it works above and there are other neogaf threads which will confirm what I am saying, you can carry on spreading the fud if you want or actually read what I said.

Any revenue losses from slight exploitation of the system is not worth entire customers lost from ass backwards policy.

I logged onto club Nintendo earlier to get my stars for my digitally purchased games, I can access miiverse via a web browser and Nintendo premium is done purely via the website. Yes the store is not, accessible via the web atm (they have said they plan to do it "soony" .

Also "As for the people defending Nintendo by saying that they don't want you to share content the solution is quite easy. You can only link to one hardware type at a time. You can link one wii one wiiu one 3ds one 2ds etc at a time. Problem solved." is excatly how it works at the moment...

Yes you shouldn't need to phone Nintendo, but you do. The fact one of you had a bad phone rep (it happesn to us all) NOT change the fact that purchases are linked to the account and can be moved from console to console. but I'm gonna leave before I get banned for being argumentative or something.

[EDIT]

Back in quickly with a quick edit to address the post below

Again I'm fine with that general stance. The issue is that it is still not really a unified consumer focused nnid yet. When I can access my list of digital purchases online and play my vc copy of mario bros on both 3ds and wiiu let me know.

You are talking about cross platform play, which is different from a unified NNID and different entirely to what people are talking about in the thread.

boiled goose

good with gravy
That's how it works right now. Except the Wii is no longer supported and will not recieve NNIDs and 2DS is considered a 3DS.

Again I'm fine with that general stance. The issue is that it is still not really a unified consumer focused nnid yet. When I can access my list of digital purchases online and play my vc copy of mario bros on both 3ds and wiiu let me know.

You have one you just need ot phone them up, its as simple as that. Not gonna bother discussing this with you any more, i have given a clear explanation of how it works above and there are other neogaf threads which will confirm what I am saying, you can carry on spreading the fud if you want or actually read what I said.

Don't get mad bro we're all friends here. I heard you and see what you're saying, it just doesn't really address my personal issues with it that boiled goose outlined.

Mael

For as connected people seems to think they are, there's clearly some kind of BS filter that makes people think that Nintendo is something different and is special when they really are not.

Nintendo is still playing by their rules where they don't give a shit if people hate how they handled their hardware, or their OS, or their online features

This is for example patently false, but that I'd bet some good money that people here really think that.

They're 2 different products, that's like saying it's BS that we had to pay twice to get Wii and DS version of FF Echoes of time or the 2 versions of Pkmn.
for the customer they're the same product but for the game maker they really are not, this needs to change.
Either they differentiate the 2 or they make both the same.

Kiote

Yeah, that's the second reason why I don't have a 3DS. Cross platform VC should have been a Day 1 feature. Sadly, the two wildly different architectures of the consoles makes it so they have to create a different piece of software for both. Still, I'm hopeful it's coming in one of the next two system updates.

For the record, the main reason I don't have a 3DS is because I broke 5 DSs, lol.

boiled goose

good with gravy

I logged onto club Nintendo earlier to get my stars for my digitally purchased games, I can access miiverse via a web browser and Nintendo premium is done purely via the website. Yes the store is not, accessible via the web atm (they have said they plan to do it "soony" .

Also "As for the people defending Nintendo by saying that they don't want you to share content the solution is quite easy. You can only link to one hardware type at a time. You can link one wii one wiiu one 3ds one 2ds etc at a time. Problem solved." is excatly how it works at the moment...

Yes you shouldn't need to phone Nintendo, but you do. The fact one of you had a bad phone rep (it happesn to us all) NOT change the fact that purchases are linked to the account and can be moved from console to console. but I'm gonna leave before I get banned for being argumentative or something.

That you have to phone them is a symptom of the problem not the problem itself.

When people say that a unified account, no region locking, etc won't save Nintendo they are partly right that individually these issues are minor but again they are symptomatic of Nintendos single biggest issue, their backwards approach to handling digital content.

It affects everything. Region locking, console upgrades, gen transitions, synergy between handheld and console, reaching out to loyal consumers, friend lists, marketing, wii fits potential, etc etc etc.

Nintendo's library of classics and awesome software are a huge asset, yet their policies and hardware centric approach is destroying them. Wiiu will be the worst selling main Nintendo hardware ever. And this is coming after their two most successful products.

People are afraid of buying Nintendo hardware because the company inspires no confidence.

Nintendo's library of classics and awesome software are a huge asset, yet their policies and hardware centric approach is destroying them. Wiiu will be the worst selling main Nintendo hardware ever.

Imagine having a singular, all-encompassing online account where you can see purchases, manage payment options, browse the eshop, and manage the account in general-- in addition to cross-buy features for Virtual Console games. You could buy Super Metroid on Wii U and play it on 3DS for example without buying the same game twice. There's just so much they could be doing with all of this that would definitely help paint a better picture for them.

Khrno

It is hilarious that this comes up while Microsoft is doing their best to earn back goodwill with Xbox Live Gold changes.

Sorry, could you tell us what came up?

Because the reality is that nothing has happened, everything is and will be the same in the near future. Maybe you just went from reading the first part of the OP to the reply button?

Top Bottom