• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (don't) change NNID policy (?)

Khrno

Sure, no problems with it getting locked. I've made some changes to the OP, hope people read them.

I have no idea who the guy is. But the information was then retweeted by the EndRegionLock twitter and Cheesemeister, both of which are pretty reliable, so I thought it worth mentioning. Guess not.

Nothing against you personally, just that this misinformation is not good at all, and you know how the internet works, if it's posted on GAF, then it shall be reported on every Gaming news site.

prag16

Banned
Hahahaha. Holy fuck. Just when I thought Nintendo was finally moving in the right direction regarding digital content management with their talk about integrated platforms.

If you move, you now lose your entire library. How the fuck does that make sense? Is Nintendo trying that hard to never make me invest in Nintendo hardware ever again?

Nintendo's cluelessness regarding digital content never ceases to astound me...

Post like this keep popping up page after page even though the OP has been pretty much invalidated. Title/OP update in the works?? EDIT I see it was updated before I posted. Much better.

gngf123

Nothing against you personally, just that this misinformation is not good at all, and you know how the internet works, if it's posted on GAF, then it shall be reported on every Gaming news site.

It was only a couple of days ago that I posted vocally on here how annoyed I was with the misinformation regarding the Tomodachi Life patch. Believe me I'm well aware.

Schnozberry

I'm guessing this policy is heavily affected by the legal and regulatory environments being so different across regions. There may be items in the terms of service agreed to in one country that are illegal in another, for instance.

Sometimes knees are just going to jerk, regardless of circumstance. GAF is gonna GAF.

RM8

If this is not an IP lock then I don't see what's so infuriating. I'll be in Japan later this year while still being able to access the Mexican eShop and play online, right? Then I'm not even sure what changed :x

DedValve

Banned
I have high hopes for nintendos ability to assess the market, see where they went wrong, apologize and make appropriate changes in order to stay in competition.

Oh no wait Microsoft did that, never mind then.

IF they were IP tracking and locking our stuffs when we moved abroad and shit you'd have a point.

I'm talking about the account system in general, like having digital purchases tied to hardware. The NNID system period is a pile of garbage.

Teknoman

Hahahaha. Holy fuck. Just when I thought Nintendo was finally moving in the right direction regarding digital content management with their talk about integrated platforms.

If you move, you now lose your entire library. How the fuck does that make sense? Is Nintendo trying that hard to never make me invest in Nintendo hardware ever again?

Nintendo's cluelessness regarding digital content never ceases to astound me...

Thats not the case at all. Read through the thread first and you'll see what happened.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think I got what changed.

This is a part present in the upcoming revision and not in the current version. It's about Physical Products

Before, it was like this

2.1.2.2 Delivery and Customs

During the purchasing process you will be given an opportunity to input the delivery address for your order. You will be informed before the purchase about the countries in which the delivery of Physical Products is possible. You are responsible for any applicable customs' duties or taxes in the country of delivery.

2.1.2.3 Reservation of Title

Any Physical Products delivered to you will remain the property of Nintendo until payment is made in full.

2.1.2.4 Defects

In the event of a defect the statutory provisions shall apply. Physical Products come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure of a Physical Product or for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the Physical Products repaired or replaced if the Physical Products fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure.

If the Physical Product is subject to an additional manufacturer’s warranty, details of such a manufacturer's warranty will be attached to the delivered Physical Product. Any claims based on a manufacturer's warranty are irrespective of any statutory rights you may have.

2.1.3 Payment Methods

Now, instead, they've introduced a new 2.1.3. and 2.1.2.4 (defects) became 2.1.4, so Payments Methods now are 2.1.5

2.1.3 Right to Cancel

2.1.3.1 Instructions for Right to Cancel

===========================================

Right to cancel

You have the right to cancel this contract within 14 days without giving any reason.

The cancellation period will expire after 14 days from the day:
in the case of a service contract or a contract for the supply of digital content which is not supplied on a tangible medium: of the conclusion of the contract;
in the case of physical products: on which you acquire, or a third party other than the carrier and indicated by you acquires, physical possession of the goods;
in the case of a contract relating to multiple goods ordered by you in one order and delivered separately:
on which you acquire, or a third party other than the carrier and indicated by you acquires, physical possession of the last good.
To exercise the right to cancel, you must inform us (Nintendo of Europe GmbH, Nintendo Center, 63760 Grossostheim, Germany, telephone number: +44 845 60 50 247, fax number: +49 69 667747 95412, email: customer-support@nintendo.co.uk) of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, fax or email). You may use the attached model cancellation form, but it is not obligatory.

To meet the cancellation deadline, it is sufficient for you to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the cancellation period has expired.

Effects of cancellation

If you cancel this contract, we will reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery (except for the supplementary costs arising if you chose a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by us).

We may make a deduction from the reimbursement for loss in value of any goods supplied, if the loss is the result of unnecessary handling by you.

We will make the reimbursement without undue delay and not later than:

(a) 14 days after the day we receive back from you any good supplied; or

(b) (if earlier) 14 days after the day you provide evidence that you have returned the goods; or

(c) if there were no goods supplied, 14 days after the day on which we are informed about your decision to cancel this contract.

We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as result of the reimbursement.

We may withhold reimbursement until we have received the goods back or you have supplied evidence of having sent back the goods, whichever is the earliest.

You shall send back the goods or hand them over to us, without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 days from the day on which you communicate your cancellation from this contract to us. The deadline is met if you send back the goods before the period of 14 days has expired.

You will have to bear the direct cost of returning the goods.

You are only liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods.

If you requested to begin the performance of services during the cancellation period, you shall pay us an amount which is in proportion to what has been performed until you have communicated us your cancellation from this contract, in comparison with the full coverage of the contract.

===========================================

The cancellation right expires earlier in respect of the contracts listed below:

- contracts for the supply of sealed goods: the cancellation right for sealed goods which are not suitable for return due to health protection or hygiene reasons expires if they are unsealed after delivery;

- contracts for the supply of sealed audio recordings, video recordings or sealed computer software: the cancellation right for sealed audio or sealed video recordings or sealed computer software (such as video games) expires if they are unsealed after delivery;

- contracts for the supply of digital content: where we supply digital content not on a tangible medium, the cancellation right expires if we have begun our supply of the digital content after you have expressly consented that we can begin the supply before the cancellation period ends, and you have acknowledged that you lose your right to cancel the contract in this circumstance;

- service contracts: the cancellation right expires earlier if the service has been fully performed by us, the performance of the service began with your prior express consent, and you acknowledged that you lose your right of cancellation once the contract has been fully performed.

2.1.3.2 Model Cancellation Form

(If you want to cancel the contract please complete and return this form.)

- To Nintendo of Europe GmbH, Nintendo Center, 63760 Grossostheim, Germany, fax number: +49 69 667747 95412, email address: customer-support@nintendo.co.uk

I/We ( * ) hereby give notice that I/we ( * ) cancel my/our ( * ) contract of sale of the following goods( * )/for the provision of the following service ( * ):

- Ordered on( * )/received on ( * );

- Name of consumer(s);

- Address of consumer(s);

- Signature of consumer(s) (only if this form is notified on paper),

- Date:

( * ) Delete as appropriate.

Mael

I'm talking about the account system in general, like having digital purchases tied to hardware.

They give you the choice, you can tie your stuffs to hw or account on 3DS (nnid or not, no nnid -> hw tied).
At least people that don't want to make an account can still access their stuffs.
The fact that I can't take my account, log it to another system and make the games available there is not exactly outrageous either as long as I can transfer the account on my own without having to go on a quest worthy of FFXI.
I also don't find it outrageous that they don't have a rental system akin to ps+ tied to their online services.
Unlike MSFT they're not changing our relationship with them as customers for the sole benefit of their shareholders and business partners.

Please some mod lock this thread. Is going to generate a lot of confusion. And the bad news about Nintendo tend to spread really fast over the internet.

If Nintendo don't address and change everything that's backwards or downright wrong with their network and account system I won't just stop making digital purchases, I'll stop buying their hardware and software outright.

They give you the choice, you can tie your stuffs to hw or account on 3DS (nnid or not, no nnid -> hw tied).

I'm talking about how you can't for example buy a 3DS for example, make digital purchases, sell your 3DS, buy a new 3DS, and restore your digital purchases to your new 3DS. This isn't an issue with the other consoles because they have much better account systems.

RM8

Don't Apple IDs work the same way? You can only set your Apple ID to one country.
You can change it as many times as you want effortlessly. I'm constantly switching from Mexico to Japan, and even sometimes to places I've never been to like Canada or the US to download stuff not available on other countries :p Android, though? The region locking is downright draconian there. Kind of ironic considering Android is much more open and versatile than iOS.

Mael

I'm talking about how you can't for example buy a 3DS for example, make digital purchases, sell your 3DS, buy a new 3DS, and restore your digital purchases to your new 3DS. This isn't an issue with the other consoles because they have much better account systems.

I know you can unlink your account on WiiU so that's possible there.
If you can't do that on 3DS, that's a topic worthy of a campaign although that's more about how the 3DS operate than the account.
It's also nothing on the level of the DRM scheme of the Xbone.

I know you can unlink your account on WiiU so that's possible there.

So you're telling me that you can unlink your NNID from your Wii U, get another Wii U, link your NNID to it and restore your digital purchases? Is this a new development or something?

And no it's not as bad as the DRM stuff, but it's still pretty awful and worth making noise about. It's something that they need to fix.

Hugstable

Banned
It's all Nintendo's fault for being ass backwards. Backlash and humble pie is what they need aplenty.

and backlash is misinformation? Nintendo's account system probelms are usually discussed in tens of other topics. This topic was about misinformation and should be locked.

So you're telling me that you can unlink your NNID from your Wii U, get another Wii U, link your NNID to it and restore your digital purchases? Is this a new development or something?

Actually In the US you can, just need to give Nintendo a call when you get your new Wii U. You aren't able to do it on your own but it's still possible. Its not at all a fix for the problem, but I think it's something temporay while they get something implemented later in an update. HOpefully.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Unfortunately you can't do that just by yourself, but you can do it via Nintendo support.

It's all Nintendo's fault for being ass backwards. Backlash and humble pie is what they need aplenty.

You forgot the tar and feathers.

CLEEK

Whatever happened to MS allowing you to change your country? I remember that being mentioned as going to happen? Did it? If so, how to you change it?

Unfortunately you can't do that just by yourself, but you can do it via Nintendo support.

I thought you could only re-link it to the Wii U that the NNID was initially created on. I wasn't under the impression that you could get a new Wii U without having the original Wii U and do that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I thought you could only re-link it to the Wii U that the NNID was initially created on. I wasn't under the impression that you could get a new Wii U without having the original Wii U and do that.

You can, you just need to call Nintendo support to unlink the NNID from the old console in their database and then you can set it up on the new one.

CLEEK

Also: Any form of regional restrictions on portable devices is monumentally stupid.

I bought the physical version of Killzone Mercenary while abroad (only my 2nd physical Vita game, the rest are digital), and then bought the Botzone DLC only to find it doesn't work as DLC.

If you lose your Wii U, or it dies or something, you have to call Nintendo so that they can unlink your NNID from whatever system it linked to. You can then just link it to a new Wii U.

zroid

Banned
I think I got what changed.

This is a part present in the upcoming revision and not in the current version. It's about Physical Products

Before, it was like this

Now, instead, they've introduced a new 2.1.3. and 2.1.2.4 (defects) became 2.1.4, so Payments Methods now are 2.1.5

So if I'm reading this correctly, it's saying you have within 14 days to cancel a newly created NNID account and be refunded any purchases made in that period? If so that's kind of interesting, might be worth making an actual thread about, lol.

Mael

And no it's not as bad as the DRM stuff, but it's still pretty awful and worth making noise about. It's something that they need to fix.
There's an extensive topic about this here, I got that information there.
You can even delete your nnid now which is....kinda dumb and possibly illegal in some countries...
I don't think that's new as in this week new....
Where did you get this idea that you HAD to relink to the same WiiU or something?
You can transfer your data from WiiU to another WiiU kinda like on 3DS, but now since you can unlink you NNID to a WiiU you can link it another WiiU since that's the only thing that would be preventing you to link your NNID to another WiiU.

FZZ

Banned
So essentially what happened in this thread is information already known about Nintendo's NNID policy for different regions, was thought to have been altered even though it wasn't. And we had multiple GAF members backlash at the thought of the policy being altered without fact checking any information whatsoever, even having a mod join in and make wild speculative claims.

If I'm correct doesn't Sony also have a pretty backwards policy when it comes to this stuff, and they're getting nowhere near the amount of the criticism Nintendo is?

You can, you just need to call Nintendo support to unlink the NNID from the old console in their database and then you can set it up on the new one.

If you lose your Wii U, or it dies or something, you have to call Nintendo so that they can unlink your NNID from whatever system it linked to. You can then just link it to a new Wii U.

That's... interesting. It's still not the most convenient thing but I guess it's better than what once was.

Where did you get this idea that you HAD to relink to the same WiiU or something?
You can transfer your data from WiiU to another WiiU kinda like on 3DS, but now since you can unlink you NNID to a WiiU you can link it another WiiU since that's the only thing that would be preventing you to link your NNID to another WiiU.

I had a Wii U not long ago, and I specifically remember not being able to "preserve" my NNID for whenever I get a new console, unlike simply being able to buy a new Playstation or Xbox console and log into my account.

Gestault

So essentially what happened in this thread is information already known about Nintendo's NNID policy for different regions, was thought to have been altered even though it wasn't. And we had multiple GAF members backlash at the thought of the policy being altered without fact checking any information whatsoever, even having a mod join in and make wild speculative claims.

If I'm correct doesn't Sony also have a pretty backwards policy when it comes to this stuff, and they're getting nowhere near the amount of the criticism Nintendo is?

People are reacting to language currently in-policy that sounded unreasonable when brought to their attention.

Hugstable

Banned
That's... interesting. It's still not the most convenient thing but I guess it's better than what once was.

I had a Wii U not long ago, and I specifically remember not being able to "preserve" my NNID for whenever I get a new console.

Updates do have the power to change things.

Updates do have the power to change things.

Sure, but I didn't hear anything about it and I figure something like that would have garnered a bit of rejoicing.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/29859

Zwg3M3q.jpg

There's been an update since this? That explicitly states that the NNID is linked to the hardware it was created on.

Sami+

Sad that this wasn't even all that surprising.

Do tell? If you're gonna start flinging shit then at least give the courtesy of backing it up.

Sayter

Nintendo is to Gaming Discussion what the Republicans are to Off-Topic Discussion.

Mael

Sad that this wasn't even all that surprising.

Do tell? If you're gonna start flinging shit then at least give the courtesy of backing it up.
Ah, we're only allowed to BS our way to an argument on Nintendo around here it seems...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So if I'm reading this correctly, it's saying you have within 14 days to cancel a newly created NNID account and be refunded any purchases made in that period? If so that's kind of interesting, might be worth making an actual thread about, lol.

I've spent a little more time, since you noticed it

Paragrafh 2 is about shopping services, and 2.1 specifies

2 Shopping Services

2.1 Nintendo Shopping Services

Nintendo Network may offer access to Nintendo Shopping Services. You can use Nintendo Shopping Services to acquire Digital Products from Nintendo or third parties, to purchase Physical Products from Nintendo as well as to download and use Digital Products on your Linked Nintendo Device and/or via Nintendo Network.

The right to cancel refers to 2.1, so shipping services in general. It's unclear if they're talking about eShop too, among them. They could just be talking about the Online Store.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There's been an update since this? That explicitly states that the NNID is linked to the hardware it was created on.

And that's why you need to call the support to unlink the NNID from the previous hardware. Because otherwise you can't use it on another console.

Sure, but I didn't hear anything about it and I figure something like that would have garnered a bit of rejoicing.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/29859

Zwg3M3q.jpg

Much like the wording in the policy that started this thread, the wording there is a bit ambiguous. What it probably means is that you can't use it in two consoles at the same time. What's certainly a fact is that mutiple people have done what I described in my previous post. At least in the US, it is certainly possible to unlink your NNID and link it to different hardware, albeit with Nintendo's help.

Much like the wording in the policy that started this thread, the wording there is a bit ambiguous. What it probably means is that you can't use it in two consoles at the same time. What's certainly a fact is that mutiple people have done what I described in my previous post. At least in the US, it is certainly possible to unlink your NNID and link it to different hardware, albeit with Nintendo's help.

I think all of this is kind of proving my point. It's convoluted and people shouldn't need Nintendo's "help" to do something like this.

As someone who is going through an international move right now:
Cool, Nintendo. I just won't buy any product affected by this. Your loss, not mine. Same goes for Sony, who have an ass-backwards international move policy with PSN.

... unless this is going to retroactively prevent me from using products I already own, in which case holy shit that's terrible.

It sounds like it will prevent you from re-downloading anything you delete from your SD card.

Top Bottom