• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo (don't) change NNID policy (?)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/11/talking_point_regional_online_multiplayer_misses_the_point

Nintendo locked multiplayer behind regions and your geolocation for Wii Sports U and Mario Tennis before.

I assume this is just a system wide implementation of that for all games and their ownership.

Wii Sports U is not region locked by IP, I have a US Wii U in London and can play it just fine online. Mario Tennis Open however, the online mode is locked by IP, which is completely idiotic.

RiggyRob

Although this doesn't sound great, I don't see a difference to when NNIDs were launched in the first place or when the Wii U and 3DS NNIDs were linked together. Could someone care to explain what has actually changed?

Mael

Whether or not this policy has always been there, more attention has to be drawn to how horrible Nintendo's network is and what needs to be changed. I think making a big fuss over it is good.

After all nothing like spreading misinformation to get what you want.

Khrno

I'm moving to South America from the UK in about 2 months, taking my Wii U and 3DS with me, and the misinformation from this thread almost gave me a heart attack.

I hope as people are saying, nothing is actually changing, and just as I have done it in the past 2 years in my previous visits to South America (with my 3DS), I was able to access the UK eShop just fine and play online.

KingJ2002

probably the easiest way to region lock on their end... but it completely screws the mobile gamer.

they definitely have to rethink this... at least for mobile.

Beckx

I feel stupid for misunderstanding the situation completely. I understood it as Nintendo forcing you to create a *new* account for every region you're in and that, let's say, a Swedish account would only be functional in Sweden.

Oops. Now I can go back to what I was doing.

Don't feel bad, the sentence is subject to multiple interpretations and should be drug out in the street and shot.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Nintendo's NNID account engineering department:

ghfj.gif

Iwata doesn't want to fire anyone.
Which is probably part of the problem, as employing complete incompetents is the only explanation for some of this shit.

Which makes no sense, we understand (please understand) that we are doing really poorly and have no real idea how to fix it, but it is in no way related to our employees....uh, the people that made the bad decisions. And still do so.

So it seems from this info like this is merely Nintendo's existing bad policy rather than the addition of new, even worse polices atop it.

OP, where did that June 13 thing come from? It's not in the supporting links.

Mael

I'm moving to South America from the UK in about 2 months, taking my Wii U and 3DS with me, and the misinformation from this thread almost gave me a heart attack.

I hope as people are saying, nothing is actually changing, and just as I have done it in the past 2 years in my previous visits to South America (with my 3DS), I was able to access the UK eShop just fine and play online.

Ok,
this needs to be put somewhere in the OP, It's mad important to make sure we're not being fed BS.

e : Before I was mad at Nintendo for threatening to lock me out of content I paid for,
now I'm fucking furious at people here for feeding me BS making basically saying that I'd be locked out of my content.

Ushojax

Although this doesn't sound great, I don't see a difference to when NNIDs were launched in the first place or when the Wii U and 3DS NNIDs were linked together. Could someone care to explain what has actually changed?

Nothing has changed. US, EU and JP consoles can only have region-specific NNIDs associated with them which cannot be transferred across regions. Your 3DS/Wii U will access it's native eShop and your NNID wherever you are in the world.

Haunted

It's like trying to fix your hair on a sinking ship.
...and ending up just knocking your wig overboard and sticking a finger in your eye.

Nintendo never intended to make any form of political commentary by linking your country to your Nintendo Network ID. The functionality in our service represents a playful alternate world rather than a real-life online infrastructure. We hope that all of our fans will see that the eShop was intended to be a whimsical and quirky service, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide political commentary.
EgYygvF.gif
EgYygvF.gif
EgYygvF.gif

mantidor

What I mean is that I don't think they are proficient enough technologically to actually do this

I wonder if people really buy this whole "Nintendo has no idea about technology" thing. They are perfectly capable of IP blocking and it's surprising people believing otherwise. Their online infrastructure is the way it is because that is exactly how they want it to be, not because they don't know how to do it better.

Ok, let's do something better.

Here's the archived agreement version (from June, 2013)

Here's the new version, effective from this June

They seem to be exactly the same.

Ok, nothing to see here then.

Wait, what does this even mean?

I live in Mexico but my NNID is set to the USA, I really hope I don't get screwed by this.

Edit: Mpl90 saved me from having a heart attack, I have so many Nintendo Digital games.

I live in the Dominican Republic (latin america)and i have a US account, because here we dont have eshop support. I buy prepaid cards over the internet to buy games on the eshop. I spend hundreds of dollars on games. This don't sound good for me. If this truly happens Nintendo is going to lost a loyal fan.

RiggyRob

Nothing has changed. US, EU and JP consoles can only have region-specific NNIDs associated with them which cannot be transferred across regions. Your 3DS/Wii U will access it's native eShop and your NNID wherever you are in the world.

Alright, then who's the person who found the updated terms/why did they find the updated terms?

EricB

Perhaps Nintendo has been listening. Every time I give feedback on Club Nintendo about why I chose the digital version of a game I've purchased on the USA eshop; I mention that it is because I live abroad for work although I am a U.S. citizen. Thanks to their region locking policies, I am unable to purchase physical games in the country which I currently reside. Looks like they are trying to put an end to my nefarious designs to buy more games.

gngf123

So it seems from this info like this is merely Nintendo's existing bad policy rather than the addition of new, even worse polices atop it.

OP, where did that June 13 thing come from? It's not in the supporting links.

I... don't actually know. The same person who sent this to the EndRegionLock twitter also gave that date. I have since looked and haven't been able to find any evidence of that date either.

By this point I think it's clear that this thread should just have one big ? at the front of it. At least it raised further awareness of an awful policy though.

Ushojax

Alright, then who's the person who found the updated terms/why did they find the updated terms?

Who cares why they updated it, maybe they updated the date on it or something to do with parental controls in the recent system update. The content of the agreement has not changed with regard to region locking.

CTLance

This must be intentional. Somewhere at Nintendo, there's someone that hates region codes
and consumers
, and they're doing their very best to make Nintendos implementation of region locking so utterly terrible that the populace starts to revolt. End result: Some people get tarred & feathered, Iwata gets digitized and is released as Nintendogs&Cats&Iwata... and region locking is removed.

That must be it. There's no other explanation. Jeez.

Great. IP Region lock. This will be wonderful for people in countries with shit Nintendo estore who uses north-america accounts.

It's not IP lock. Nothing has changed.

I live in the Dominican Republic (latin america)and i have a US account, because here we dont have eshop support. I buy prepaid cards over the internet to buy games on the eshop. I spend hundreds of dollars on games. This don't sound good for me. If this truly happens Nintendo is going to lost a loyal fan.

Nothing is different.

Protip: You should be using the Canadian eShop...that way, you can simply use a debit/credit card...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Now I remember! I saw the new agreement on GoNintendo: the only change was for parental control, apparently. I have to read it better, or to search for GN's news.

EDIT: No, wait, I confused it with the 3DS update. XD

Khrno

Who is this "@Damianmer" guy from Twitter anyway, why did the OP make a thread about a tweet from this guy?

Can we have some clarification on the OP please, and if indeed nothing is changing, then just close this thread to prevent more misinformation from spreading?

RiggyRob

Who cares why they updated it, maybe they updated the date on it or something. The content of the agreement has not changed.

I know, that's my point - to me it looks like someone saw the change of date and overreacted to it without actually looking back to the previous terms.

The_Lump

Banned
Who cares why they updated it, maybe they updated the date on it or something. The content of the agreement has not changed.

Yup. Thread needs nuking/title change before it goes too far with this misinformation. Folk are already needlessly panicking.

gngf123

Who is this "@Damianmer" guy from Twitter anyway, why did the OP make a thread about a tweet from this guy?

Can we have some clarification on the OP please, and if indeed nothing is changing, then just close this thread to prevent more misinformation from spreading?

Sure, no problems with it getting locked. I've made some changes to the OP, hope people read them.

I have no idea who the guy is. But the information was then retweeted by the EndRegionLock twitter and Cheesemeister, both of which are pretty reliable, so I thought it worth mentioning. Guess not.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Hahahaha. Holy fuck. Just when I thought Nintendo was finally moving in the right direction regarding digital content management with their talk about integrated platforms.

If you move, you now lose your entire library. How the fuck does that make sense? Is Nintendo trying that hard to never make me invest in Nintendo hardware ever again?

Nintendo's cluelessness regarding digital content never ceases to astound me...

Tiu Neo

I think (or at least hope) that's only refering to the PAL/NTSC-U/NTSC-J region locking.

If they really region-locked by ip, we brazillians are fucked. :( Their digital prices here are a joke.

The_Lump

Banned
Hahahaha. Holy fuck. Just when I thought Nintendo was finally moving in the right direction regarding digital content management with their talk about integrated platforms.

If you move, you now lose your entire library. How the fuck does that make sense? Is Nintendo trying that hard to never make me invest in Nintendo hardware ever again?

Nope. Nothing has changed. Check out this last page of the thread for the scoop :)

I think (or at least hope) that's only refering to the PAL/NTSC-U/NTSC-J region locking.

If they really region-locked by ip, we brazillians are fucked. :( Their digital prices here are a joke.

Don't worry. Nothing at all has changed, OP was mistaken.

This probably has something to do with taxes and parental control.

*sigh*

I honestly think it deserves as much of an uproar that say Microsoft got with DRM. But maybe people in general don't care as much?

Elija2

Nintendo never intended to make any form of political commentary by linking your country to your Nintendo Network ID. The functionality in our service represents a playful alternate world rather than a real-life online infrastructure. We hope that all of our fans will see that the eShop was intended to be a whimsical and quirky service, and that we were absolutely not trying to provide political commentary.

Quirky is definitely an interesting descriptor for Nintendo's online services.

zroid

Banned
I might be misunderstanding, but I'm pretty sure this is just saying you can only have one country associated with each NNID. Isn't it the same as with every account?

It's not IP lock. Nothing has changed.

Nothing is different.

Protip: You should be using the Canadian eShop...that way, you can simply use a debit/credit card...
Oh.. Thanks.. I was starting to get mad. And thanks for the Canadia info. But is to late for me. A mod need to edit the OP or one of my friends here are going to have a heart attack.

hashtag dead

Top Bottom