• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - August 2016

TheMoon

I rented the original about Two decades ago and thought it was ok. I remember hearing the one on DS was really bad, how is this one?

Don't play it.

If you just thought the original (a timeless masterpiece classic^^) was okay then you're not gonna have much fun with this one. YI DS wasn't really bad btw. Just very odd. YNI is the one that's "okay" so you probably should skip it for something you actually really want. Generally, there is no bad Yoshi's Island game, though. Just weird ones and unspectacular ones at worst.

And now let's wait for the people who will tell you YNI and YIDS are the worst kind of garbage out there. ;)

Robin64

YNI and YIDS are the worst kind of garbage out there.

Nah, seriously, some questionable music aside I liked YNI a fair amount. YIDS less so, mind, the multiple baby mechanic did nothing for me. Woolly World is where it's at, though, even though it doesn't have the Island name.

Shiggy

Hmm, you could still find a retail copy of the game.

Where? For 50 EUR - thanks, no. With Nintendo's stupid account system, I cannot even change to a different country to buy the game...

Just bought the two Ace Attorney titles instead. I had only played Apollo Justice, which I hated (partially due to the bad translation in the German version), but I really enjoyed the demo of the latest title. I also intended to buy Resident Evil, but after replaying the demo I decided against it - too scary :D

So I only go with the two Ace Attorney titles and the MSL games. Also just bought a few Nintendo Selects titles at retail as they were 50% off.

Shizuka

Where? For 50 EUR - thanks, no. With Nintendo's stupid account system, I cannot even change to a different country to buy the game...

Oh, I didn't know it was that rare. The european print that came with the OST was quite cheap at Play-Asia last year.

TheMoon

They often sold the physical one a few years ago for 15-ish EUR in various UK online shops.

Oh, I didn't know it was that rare. The european print that came with the OST was quite cheap at Play-Asia last year.

Yea they were throwing those out like crazy for a while. Thought about buying it a few times myself.

Shiggy

To be fair, with this sale, it's the first time I've even heard of the title. I couldn't even find a NeoGAF thread about it.

donny2112

I love Super Princess Peach. I love Yoshi's Island DS. The 2-screen usage (actually need both screens with manual screen movement sometimes to see everything) and different babies with different abilities was great. It's been a few years, but I've still never got the hate for it. It's a good game and worth playing, in my opinion. I also enjoyed Yoshi's Island on SNES, but I don't consider it the greatest platformer ever like many do. Not sure where the disconnect is there. Oh, well. Opinions.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I played Armored Armadillo's stage in MMX, as that's always been the stage with the most lag and issue for me.

Sad to say that it is just as laggy as I remembered. Slow, chugging frame rate, sound dropping out, music stopping at points...REALLY bummed. I guess it's great that MMX is available to play legally in the US, but I had higher hopes.

Robin64

Well it'll be fairly accurate emulation, slowdown and all.

But I've never experience anything that bad in Armored Armadillo's stage.

TheMoon

The only VC games gaining performance boosts in their emulated forms are N64 games, afaik.

All the previous systems will have the original performance.

Javier

Mega Man X was quite ambitious for its time, and there are definitely a lot of slowdown moments, all of which happened in the original SNES release.

The Armored Armadillo slowdowns you refer to are the ones during the rail cart sequences, right? Yeah, I'm positive those are the worst ones, specially the very last one when you shoot down the birds. I played it on the N3DS last night and it's exactly how I remember it was on the SNES.

The only thing I didn't notice either now or back then were sound and music issues. Everything sounded just fine to me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It was during the minecart sequences, yeah. That's pretty standard slowdown, but I was charging my buster during them and noticing audio glitches. And then during one of the parts with the crusher robot (either the chase one or the one where you follow him), audio was almost completely out. Again, I was charging my buster during all of this.

And while I respect having accurate emulation, fixing lag and audio hiccups wouldn't hurt the experience IMHO. It's been ages since I've played on the SNES, so I'm more just bitching to bitch. I'm thrilled that this game is available for people who have never had a chance to play it.

And while I respect having accurate emulation, fixing lag and audio hiccups wouldn't hurt the experience IMHO.
But at that point it sort of stops being emulation and kinda turns into a port or a remake. The original game had that slowdown, and this is the original game running on your 3DS, so it has that slowdown. Those kind of things are almost always better left untouched because, like TheMoon said, a lot of people prefer it that way not only for nostalgic reasons (which are important when it comes to Virtual Console) but because they know the game in and out by now with that slowdown accounted for, and that's specially important in action games that lend themselves well for speedruns, score attacks, etc.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
But at that point it sort of stops being emulation and kinda turns into a port or a remake. The original game had that slowdown, and this is the original game running on your 3DS, so it has that slowdown. Those kind of things are almost always better left untouched because, like TheMoon said, a lot of people prefer it that way not only for nostalgic reasons (which are important when it comes to Virtual Console) but because they know the game in and out by now with that slowdown accounted for, and that's specially important in action games that lend themselves well for speedruns, score attacks, etc.

If you're doing competitive speed runs, you're doing it on the original console.

I already said I'm bitching to bitch. I don't need someone to learn me on why fixing things is bad - I'm fully aware of how vocal people can be. Emulation via the VC is such a wonderful addition to gaming as a whole. But that doesn't mean the OG issues don't still bother me today as much or more than they did when I played the game at its release. ;)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People complained a ton when the Wii version of SF64 ran better than the original, so they patched it to be sluggy.

Shizuka

Yea they were throwing those out like crazy for a while. Thought about buying it a few times myself.

They did the same with the PS3 version. I already have all of them, since I'm an otome hoarder, but it's a great title and I wish more 3DS owners gave it a chance.

zroid

Banned
Old 3DS can upload images, too. Not sure how that handles that website, but just wanted to point out that's not a New 3DS exclusive thing.

I used to use abload on the old 3DS browser although at some point I think it broke. Not sure how it fares these days.

But definitely, the n3DS browser will work on most sites

Bowl0l

one question:
what are the chances Pokemon Sun/Moon will be ported to NX?
i don't mind paying NX tax as long as i have a Pokemon game to play on NX...

Ondore

The Axiom Verge eShop page has apparently updated to show a September 1 release date; we'll find out tomorrow if that's official.

Pokemaniac

one question:
what are the chances Pokemon Sun/Moon will be ported to NX?
i don't mind paying NX tax as long as i have a Pokemon game to play on NX...

Pokémon most likely isn't coming to the NX until Gen VIII. That said, given how Gen VI went, I could easily see Gem VII only lasting 2 years.

Koppai

Has there ever been any sale on Fatal Frame 5 for Wii U? I was hoping that Nintendo would give it a physical release here, but still nothing. <_<;

Dee Dee

Fuck you, Nintendo/RSG.

The worst thing: If you buy the cart, it won't let you download a patch that prevents the game from freezing in the short story bonus section (DE NNID here).

Region locked bug fixes!!!!

So how are these Art Academy games? Are they actually good at teaching you any skills in art at all?

If you are still interested, I really enjoyed Pokémon Art Academy, which is probably much more basic than the main Art Academy games.
The first few lessons are just drawing faces on shapes and coloring in. It's fun, and you paint "against" a "rival" who will consistently produce the most horrible artworks to make you feel better about your own efforts.

If you stick with it, you can learn some really good lessons about patience, building an image step by step from scratch, lighting, basic techniques... I found it to be quite impressive in its effect honestly, it breaks complicated looking stuff down for you into easy to follow steps, making everything much less daunting and daring you to just stick with it and slowly arrive at great results.
For the price these are going in the bargain bins, I think anyone slightly interested should just give it a go.

scamander

Banned
^
Today is a holiday in Bavaria (Assumption of Mary). Since NoE closed its Bavarian headquarters a few years ago and only operates from Frankfurt/ Hesse now, there should be a PR, though. Unless I'm missing something.

EDIT: Maybe it's just late because of Gamescom?

GulAtiCa

Whoever writes the weekly PR usually could be busy doing other stuff in preparation for gamescom... I guess.
It's actually written 2 weeks in advance. More so. So not sure why they might not have a PR ready. Only other time was usually a Monday holiday .

Dee Dee

A monday without full PR always leaves me at my grumpiest.
SCREW YOU NINTENDO PR PERSON. (sorry)

I might bite on Pokemon Snap, never played it, but I really like the game idea. Not looking forward to the controls and N64 graphics, so it might depend on the price. There's no reason to expect a discount for this for release though unfortunately.

Why not put it up as a MyNintendo reward? Hm? No? Okay. ._.

Top Bottom