• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2012

But all of the levels in the Wii game are already included in the 3DS game (along with 100 new ones). Sure the Wii game looks and controls a tiny bit better, but the 3DS version still makes it all but obsolete.

Fair enough :). I got frustrated with the camera and controls on the 3DS iteration after awhile, put it down and haven't picked it up again since. Whereas I finished the WiiWare original more than once *shrugs*.

Chopper

Fair enough :). I got frustrated with the camera and controls on the 3DS iteration after awhile, put it down and haven't picked it up again since. Whereas I finished the WiiWare original more than once *shrugs*.
Not to mention an annoying camera that zooms in and out randomly, making accurate moves impossible in the later levels. The 3DS version annoyed me.

Sleepy

Are the downloadable puzzles from previous Professor Layton games still available for download? Or if I buy Unwound Future, are the weekly puzzles gone?

18-Volt

Are the downloadable puzzles from previous Professor Layton games still available for download? Or if I buy Unwound Future, are the weekly puzzles gone?

They're not "downloadable" puzzles. They're just wi-fi unlock puzzles. They are already in the game, you're unlocking them with connecting internet. And of course, they will be in the game card forever, you can unlock them anytime as long as Nintendo provides NWC connection.

Sleepy

They're not "downloadable" puzzles. They're just wi-fi unlock puzzles. They are already in the game, you're unlocking them with connecting internet. And of course, they will be in the game card forever, you can unlock them anytime as long as Nintendo provides NWC connection.

Ah, okay...thanks! Quick follow up: How many extra puzzles are there for Unwound Future...trying to decide between that or Miracle Mask, which has 365 extra puzzles but is double the price but which comes with a free copy of Donkey Kong Original.

OMG Aero

Ah, okay...thanks! Quick follow up: How many extra puzzles are there for Unwound Future...trying to decide between that or Miracle Mask, which has 365 extra puzzles but is double the price but which comes with a free copy of Donkey Kong Original.
I don't have it on hand to check but the DS Layton games usually had 1 puzzle per week for up to a year after launch so Miracle Mask has more extra puzzles.
It is worth noting though that Miracle Mask's downloadable puzzles are not all unique. At the moment there are 8 different types of puzzles (with spaces on screen for 8 more) and each daily puzzle is a variation on one of those types varying in difficulty, like how in the main game in other Layton games you'll get like three variations of the same puzzle at different points in the game. The puzzles are still fun to work out and with there being 365 it gives you huge reason to keep playing months after you finish the main game, but it is worth keeping in mind that you aren't getting 365 unique and original puzzles.

jgkspsx

The fact that the 8 (16) puzzle types repeat makes them better, though. They're all really great, and repetition means they can get much harder without seeming impossible. I've never cared about the "downloadable" puzzles in Layton before and I'm keeping up with these every two or three days.

naib

Just got a 3ds xl for christmas and love it, etc.

Already bought:
MK7, Mario 3d land(!), pushmo, Burger Time DELUXE, Aero Porter(awesome), and Crimson Shroud.

Demo's tried:
Denpa (nope!), Zen pinball(almost), Pyramids(almost), Mutant Mudds (probably buy)

Need recommendations for another full retail game.
NSMB2, Kid Icarus, Zelda, Starfox 64 HD.. maybe even Harvest Moon(heard it's a slow start)?
Leaning towards Starfox. I loved that game.. but never finished OOT

Am i missing any 3ds essentials?

naib

Resident Evil: Revelaitons
Wow. Reviews are pretty glowing.

Downloading the demo now. I'll give it a shot before blowing more in the eshop.
RE5 gave me a big rubbery one but this one looks interesting.

Thanks!

edit:also
Space Harrier 3DS is coming for real?
Someone hold me.

StayDead

Can't wait for Famicom Wars. It's the only advance wars style game from Nintendo that I've never played/owned and I want it soo bad <3

Sleepy

NSMB2, Kid Icarus, Zelda, Starfox 64 HD.. maybe even Harvest Moon(heard it's a slow start)?

I suggest NSMB 2. I found it fun, and the coin rush mode (DLC) is very good.

Already bought:
MK7, Mario 3d land(!), pushmo, Burger Time DELUXE, Aero Porter(awesome), and Crimson Shroud.

Demo's tried:
Denpa (nope!), Zen pinball(almost), Pyramids(almost), Mutant Mudds (probably buy)

Kid Icarus: Uprising, definitely. I want to say why, but to do so (at least most effectively) would involve massive spoilers for the game. If you don't mind having a few surprises thrown out the window though, give the first five minutes of this a watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbD9HmsXIR4

For a much less spoilerly glimpse into it, I guess this might do, but this is nowhere near where the game truly starts to shine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaBE-hx3QK8

So I got a $20 3DS card. I want to choose between Fluidity: Spin Cycle, (Thruspace) Ketzal's Corridors, and Denpa Men.
Which would you recommend, and which one has the better music?

With the remaining money, I'll probably get Link's Awakening (my favorite 2D Zelda) or maybe Aero Porter.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Denpa Men definitely has the best soundtrack of those three games, and you can purchase it separately on iTunes if you really dig it.

m0t0k1

Already bought:

Demo's tried:

If you want a great portable fighter try the dead or alive demo on the eshop you can get the game in most stores for 20 now. I am probably in a minority but it is my favorite game on the system. Love to do a couple of fights on my way to work great pick up and play.

You should also check out Rhythm Thief. My favorite 3ds game this year. Its like layton but instead of puzzles you get rythm games. There is also a demo of that on the store but those rythm games are the first one in the game so they are easy.

gunstarhero

Already bought:

Demo's tried:

Definitely Kid Icarus if you're right handed - if not, seriously pass on it. It's the best game on the platform, but one of the worst playing if you're a lefty.

So if you're a lefty - go for StarFox. It's great, but very short and no real extra content. In comparison, KI is loaded with content.

You already have most of the haves, except for Pushmo and Crashmo, and maybe Mighty Switch Force.

StayDead

Ok so I bought Famicom Wars. Damn this is awesome. I've loved Advanced Wars since the first one but never played Famicom Wars before even after beginning to learn Japanese.

It's really cool how you can see where it all originated and some things are actually better in this than they are in the newer games (cool resupply animation, cool capture animation and same goes for the APC loading). I only wish I hadn't picked my first map to be the windy S road level which always stalemates :p

TEJ

Wow. Reviews are pretty glowing.

Downloading the demo now. I'll give it a shot before blowing more in the eshop.
RE5 gave me a big rubbery one but this one looks interesting.

the demo is misleading.

when I played the demo, I thought it would be a return to the old style of RE where its just you, exploring some creepy local fighting off things that just want to ruin your shit. but with the behind the back camera and aiming system from re4.

but when I played the actual game you got partners.....and it felt more like a modern cinematic aaa push x when prompted to do something cool kind of game. I forgot where I stopped, but I lost interest quickly.

beje

Banned
As a counter-opinion, I love classic RE and really liked Revelations A LOT. Besides, AI partners are not always with you but just come and go depending on the situation and they don't have to be babysitted like in RE5 because they won't use your inventory supplies (like ammo, herbs and sprays) and rarely get in the way.

M3d10n

As a counter-opinion, I love classic RE and really liked Revelations A LOT. Besides, AI partners are not always with you but just come and go depending on the situation and they don't have to be babysitted like in RE5 because they won't use your inventory supplies (like ammo, herbs and sprays) and rarely get in the way.

Also, Raid Mode is goddamn amazing. I put way more hours into it than the story mode.

Croc

Banned
Definitely Kid Icarus if you're right handed - if not, seriously pass on it. It's the best game on the platform, but one of the worst playing if you're a lefty.

So if you're a lefty - go for StarFox. It's great, but very short and no real extra content. In comparison, KI is loaded with content.

You already have most of the haves, except for Pushmo and Crashmo, and maybe Mighty Switch Force.

Just for a counter-opinion I'm a lefty and KI is far and away my favorite 3DS game, so don't count it out just for that.

LayLa

Just for a counter-opinion I'm a lefty and KI is far and away my favorite 3DS game, so don't count it out just for that.

I'm a lefty and i've been avoiding it. how do you do the stylus stuff? i bought Liberation Maiden and find it almost impossible to control.

Croc

Banned
I'm a lefty and i've been avoiding it. how do you do the stylus stuff? i bought Liberation Maiden and find it almost impossible to control.

Well KI at least offers lefty control schemes too. Controls in KI are pretty much 100% customizable. I use stylus in left hand and buttons as directional movement.

naib

I just got NSMB2 for now and I'm really glad I did so far. Have some leftover eshop funds but sitting on them for now. I've got plenty to play.

Haven't tried the RE demo yet and still kinda tempted by KI:U.
But I need to chill.

Thanks for all the feedback y'all!

Croc

Banned
Oh yeah while I'm thinking of it, I got a $20 eShop card for Christmas. What are some of the best eShop games (VC included) that have come out in the past ~6 months? (I guess earlier too but I'm mostly interested in the more recent stuff)
I haven't really been following eShop stuff too much in the past 6 months which is why I'm more asking for recent stuff.

I'm not really interested in Crashmo since I've already played Pushmo (which was great, but I'm looking more for new experiences).

eShop games I already own:
Ambassador stuff
VC stuff: Metroid II, Link's Awakening, Dragon Crystal, Super Mario Land, Mario's Picross, Donkey Kong, Kirby's Dream Land
3DSware: Pushmo, 3D Classics Kid Icarus, Mighty Switch Force, 3D Classics Excitebike
I also own Cave Story + and VVVVVV on Steam so I'm not interested in those either.

I'm thinking about Wario Land 2 (I really enjoyed WL4) and also maybe Denpa Men. I have the demo for DM but still haven't gotten around to playing it, so assuming it's representative of the game that'll probably cement my opinion on that.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'd recommend all three of the Guild01 games--Liberation Maiden, Aero Porter and Crimson Shroud--but you might wanna read up on each of 'em to make sure they're to your tastes.

Boney

Banned
the demo is misleading.

when I played the demo, I thought it would be a return to the old style of RE where its just you, exploring some creepy local fighting off things that just want to ruin your shit. but with the behind the back camera and aiming system from re4.

but when I played the actual game you got partners.....and it felt more like a modern cinematic aaa push x when prompted to do something cool kind of game. I forgot where I stopped, but I lost interest quickly.
I think the demo is also pretty misleading of the quality of the product but not because it's a AAA qte fiesta, but rather all the exquisite pacing and design the demo offers in both normal and hell mode is mostly gone in the final game. Enemies encounters got incredibly dull, bosses were for the most part terrible, finding weapons and upgrading them is awful, like even worse than RE5, the story never went anywhere and it was a waste having Jill and Chris instead of an all new franchise in that sense. The promises of the return of old school RE is never fulfilled, there's no real exploration and item management while dealing with the dangers of the ship, but rather follows a linear style of the modern RE games without any of the fun shooting mechanics and enemies.
It definately looks good and I suppose plays good, even if it's a wasted potential in that regard towards enemies.

Also, Raid Mode is goddamn amazing. I put way more hours into it than the story mode.
Ugh, this one I really hate. I did beat it completely even though I still gotta S rank a few Abyss levels, but it's basically just a big ol' fat grind thanks to weapons having levels. If your weapons are behind the enemies levels they'll take forever to kill and it'll be a chore to waste 10 shotgun blasts to kill one dude, and if you're overleveled, it's just a joke.
I love the idea behind it, sometimes it's more fun to reach a goal instead of fighting a timer, and it allows to extend the play time considerably but the RPG/experience system completely ruins it because it never finds a right balance around it.

VICI0US

Definitely enjoyed swords and soldiers on the Wii so that's cool that it's heading to the 3DS. Had a lot of fun playing local multiplayer with friends.

I'd love to see online multiplayer implemented, unfortunately I don't really see that happening.

At the very least I hope the game features "single cart" style play where only one 3ds owner needs to actually own the game for multiplayer.

Already bought:

Demo's tried:

How would anyone gloss over the best game on the system? Get Revelations. Ten years from now we'll be saying it was the best thing the system offered.

Does Nintendo have any plans to release more full retail 3DS games on the eShop? Sucks having an American system here in Japan...stupid region lock.

Marz

How would anyone gloss over the best game on the system? Get Revelations. Ten years from now we'll be saying it was the best thing the system offered.

I think Super Mario 3D Land will go down as a classic, beloved Mario game so probably not lol.

Top Bottom