• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2012

Sleepy

I have a quick question re: digital downloads of full games. What happens if the game somehow gets deleted from the 3DS? Can I just redownload, or is one and done? Can I transfer to another 3DS (not using system transfer)? I guess what I am asking is if retail titles are worth getting as a download.

Nintendo needs to get that save transfer tool out asap. I would totally rebuy Mario Kart and Code of Princess digital, but I don't wanna start from scratch on both. :[

To NA? How do we know?
People "in the know" on gaf confirmed it. I hope there are more AC/console 3D remakes coming from Sega. Phantasy Star 1 would be cool, especially if M2 added a map feature to the 2nd screen.

I'd also KILL for Virtua Racing.

also

Banned
I have a quick question re: digital downloads of full games. What happens if the game somehow gets deleted from the 3DS? Can I just redownload, or is one and done? Can I transfer to another 3DS (not using system transfer)? I guess what I am asking is if retail titles are worth getting as a download.

1.)You can redowload as many times as you want.
2.)You can't transfer individual games. You have to use a system transfer (limited to 5 times, at least 1 week has to pass between each transfer), so it's all or nothing

BriBri

The adventure game with the glasses girl as the picture is really good (well the demo was), but I don't actually own the game yet :p
I think I remember the image! Gets really difficult to find a game now as we're swamped with new releases every week!

I splashed out on Riki Densetsu and SMB3 today and Space Harrier and TwinBee Da a couple of days ago. Gator Pinball next week, then I get paid the week after so Fantasy Life. Seems NCL are covering for the NOE drought!

also

Banned
Cool...maybe this DD is a good idea.
Cool? Isn't redownloading the games you paid for the bare minimum?
I would still go with physical when available since you can resell/lend your games and they are cheaper. Unless, your local retailers charge rip off prices or you really love having all of your collection available to you at any time.

M3d10n

I think the demo is also pretty misleading of the quality of the product but not because it's a AAA qte fiesta, but rather all the exquisite pacing and design the demo offers in both normal and hell mode is mostly gone in the final game. Enemies encounters got incredibly dull, bosses were for the most part terrible, finding weapons and upgrading them is awful, like even worse than RE5, the story never went anywhere and it was a waste having Jill and Chris instead of an all new franchise in that sense. The promises of the return of old school RE is never fulfilled, there's no real exploration and item management while dealing with the dangers of the ship, but rather follows a linear style of the modern RE games without any of the fun shooting mechanics and enemies.
It definately looks good and I suppose plays good, even if it's a wasted potential in that regard towards enemies.

Ugh, this one I really hate. I did beat it completely even though I still gotta S rank a few Abyss levels, but it's basically just a big ol' fat grind thanks to weapons having levels. If your weapons are behind the enemies levels they'll take forever to kill and it'll be a chore to waste 10 shotgun blasts to kill one dude, and if you're overleveled, it's just a joke.
I love the idea behind it, sometimes it's more fun to reach a goal instead of fighting a timer, and it allows to extend the play time considerably but the RPG/experience system completely ruins it because it never finds a right balance around it.

Eh? I loved Raid mode *because* of the leveling. It's like playing a dungeon crawler... with guns. I loved finding a new rare gun and suddenly being able to tear enemies apart.

Maybe the fact I don't give a rat ass about whether or not the game stays true to whatever a Resident Evil game should be allows me to actually enjoy the game by what it is.

Boney

Banned
So speaking of 3DS eshop, whenever the US one had sales, did the Brazilian one also had sales accordingly?

Eh? I loved Raid mode *because* of the leveling. It's like playing a dungeon crawler... with guns. I loved finding a new rare gun and suddenly being able to tear enemies apart.

Maybe the fact I don't give a rat ass about whether or not the game stays true to whatever a Resident Evil game should be allows me to actually enjoy the game by what it is.

Yeah I get why people like raid mode, but I hate loot/grinding games so it wasn't fun for me.

And I don't care about the whole mumbo jumbo true resident evil/resident evil 4 killed re stuff, I like both types, but this one ended up as a weird hybrid that doesn't do anything good personally :(

How is the performance of Wii U full games downloads in comparison to disc loading? i has Zombi U on disc and am seriously thinking of buying the digital download so I can always have it available without any of that pesky getting up and changing discs malarky. My homebrewed Wii has spoilt me :/. Is the loading improved? Any feedback would be welcome.

BriBri

Not particularly exciting but here's the releases scheduled for UK this week.(http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/nintendo_download_3rd_january_2013_europe)

Text stolen from Nintendo Life:-

3DS download software

Touch Battle Tanks 3D (Agetec, €4.99 / £4.49) — This is a concept that promises much fun, with the simple task of rushing around 70 levels blowing up everything in sight. This one already hit North American in summer 2012, and it became clear that this attempt at a fun action title mis-fired, as our Touch Battle Tanks 3D review explained.

3DS Virtual Console

Ghosts 'n Goblins (Capcom, €4.99 / £4.49) — Appropriately arriving in time for Halloween across the pond, this is a rather challenging — OK, very challenging — NES action platformer, now available on the go and with valuable save state functionality. Two hits and you're dead, and there are plenty of monsters more than happy to help you on your way to the game over screen. It's long in the tooth now, but we felt that it had aged well for gamers brave enough in our Ghosts 'n Goblins review.

3DS Retail DLC

New Art Academy (Nintendo, €1.99 / £1.79 per pack) — Two new lesson packs are available to purchase within the game.
Life Drawing
Paint like Turner

DSiWare

Crystal Adventure (CIRCLE Entertainment, 200 Nintendo Points) — The DSiWare service has seen its fair share of top-down RPG experiences that attempt to harken back to the days of 8 and 16-bit adventures, and this is a budget entry that attempts to do just that. Unfortunately the lack of any storytelling, frustrating design decisions and phoned-in automatic combat meant that we had little positive to say in our Crystal Adventure review.

WiiWare

Vampire Crystals (Shanblue Interactive, 1000 Nintendo Points) — While the title may suggest another RPG destined for mediocrity, it transpires that this is a twin-stick — or stick and pointer if you prefer — shooter, which delivers intense action gameplay for single players, local co-op as well as some competitive multiplayer. Despite some difficulty spikes it's a well-crafted and lovingly presented title, earning a strong recommendation in our Vampire Crystals review.

Zornica

Banned
something strange happend at the german eshop...
vlr, which was released all over europe last year, was supposed to come out in german speaking countries in early 2013. regarding to amazon, it launches on 25th of january. but Today the game poped up on the eshop für 40€. without any announcement or advertisement whatsoever.
Amazon still hasn't updated their site, there isn't even a boxart there yet. I guess that means the retail version has been cancelt? I cerntainly hope that's not the case but I am a bit worried now.

also

Banned
vlr, which was released all over europe last year, was supposed to come out in german speaking countries in early 2013. regarding to amazon, it launches on 25th of january. but Today the game poped up on the eshop für 40€. without any announcement or advertisement whatsoever.
Amazon still hasn't updated their site, there isn't even a boxart there yet. I guess that means the retail version has been cancelt? I cerntainly hope that's not the case but I am a bit worried now.

Is it in German? Maybe RSG mistakenly uploaded the English version or they could have just decided to give the game to digital buyers early. I'm sure they make more on the DD version.

STHX

Don't know if it applies to Germany too, but the italian release is in January too but you could still buy it from the e-shop on the 23rd of November (40€), so I don't think it has been cancelled.
The version on the shop is probably the UK one. Usually you can buy new retail releases at midnight (GMT+1) but VRL went on sale 1 hour later.

Zornica

Banned
Don't know if it applies to Germany too, but the italian release is in January too but you could still buy it from the e-shop on the 23rd of November (40€), so I don't think it has been cancelled.
The version on the shop is probably the UK one. Usually you can buy new retail releases at midnight (GMT+1) but VRL went on sale 1 hour later.

the thing is, it just poped up on the german eshop, there isn't even a demo there. The game is marked as new, seems to be english only according to the eshop informations.
It also says the release date is january 2nd, so it was released today... but it's neither thursday nor friday. wtf is going on?

STHX

the thing is, it just poped up on the german eshop, there isn't even a demo there. The game is marked as new, seems to be english only according to the eshop informations.
It also says release date is january 2nd, so it was released today... but it's neither thursday nor friday. wtf is going on?

Really weird. I do wonder now if the release was a mistake then (and maybe the same happened with the italian e-shop release. The description in the e-shop is incredibly broken, even google translate could do better, and the game was never added to my Club Nintendo account, unlike every other e-shop download). I wonder if something similar happened in the spanish/french e-shop too.

Just to be sure I checked the official site and it still lists January 2013 as the release for Germany and Italy (and the 2 reviews make it sounds like the game was not released in France at all).

Edit: Well fuck, I just went to the e-shop and there is an update for VLR. This is getting weird.

I noticed VLR in the eShop too, strange thing. I thought about buying it, but 40€ put me off. The game is at 27.99€ on Amazon, so I think the normal retail price will be 29.99€, no way I am paying a 25% higher price for a digital copy.

Zornica

Banned
Edit: Well fuck, I just went to the e-shop and there is an update for VLR. This is getting weird.

update? like a patch for the game? or just updated text for dates and stuff?

I noticed VLR in the eShop too, strange thing. I thought about buying it, but 40€ put me off. The game is at 27.99€ on Amazon, so I think the normal retail price will be 29.99€, no way I am paying a 25% higher price for a digital copy.

the digital version is probably bugfree though...
at least it could be.

STHX

update? like a patch for the game? or just updated text for dates and stuff?

An actual update. It made me redownload the whole game (kinda like what happens when a e-shop game is updated, unlike the MK7 patch). Doesn't seem the game has any difference however (at least nothing past the title screen).

also

Banned
the digital version is probably bugfree though...
at least it could be.
I doubt it. I have the digital version and the game still crashed on me after reaching one of the endings.

An actual update. It made me redownload the whole game (kinda like what happens when a e-shop game is updated, unlike the MK7 patch). Doesn't seem the game has any difference however (at least nothing past the title screen).
Is your save file intact?

Zornica

Banned
I doubt, it will be different from the retail version, but I also think, if the game is patched, both versions - digital and retail - will be patched.

nope, as far as I know the corruption occurs because of the way the data is saved on the cartridge. It had something to do with the file size if I remember correctly. thats something that wouldn't effect the eshop version.

I doubt it. I have the digital version and the game still crashed on me after reaching one of the endings.
I meant the data corruption bug, not freezes and crashes

sounds like a fix of some kind to me

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Some weeks ago, we all posted the charts from various European countries, stating that different countries / areas have different charts. And we've also seen some other interesting tidbits such as the amount of reviews. Now, I'd like to do it again since (at least in Italy) it's filled by all the games included in the Club Nintendo promotion

Here's the Italian current top 20

01. Super Mario 3D Land
02. Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles

03. Pokèmon AR Searcher
04. Super Mario Bros.
05. Pokédex 3D Pro
06. Nintendo presents: New Style Boutique
07. New Art Academy

08. Gunman Clive
09. Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
10. Denpa Men
11. Freakyforms Deluxe
12. Crimson Shroud
13. Hydroventure: Spin Cycle
14. Pullblox
15. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
16. New Super Mario Bros. 2
17. Fallblox
18. Crazy Chicken Pirates 3D
19. Uno
20. Bird Mania 3D

Games included in the promotion are bolded. How's the situation elsewhere?

oatmeal

Banned
How is the performance of Wii U full games downloads in comparison to disc loading? i has Zombi U on disc and am seriously thinking of buying the digital download so I can always have it available without any of that pesky getting up and changing discs malarky. My homebrewed Wii has spoilt me :/. Is the loading improved? Any feedback would be welcome.

Anyone?

I'm also curious for the exact same reason and with the same game.

If there's nothing for the Wii U, I'm going to sell mine.

Don't expect anything.

I believe the only release for January is the multiplatform game, The Cave.

What might the Wii U get?

Demos?

Previously retail only titles with a new digital release (ex: Black OPs 2)?

Virtual console?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
How's the situation elsewhere?

Polish store Recent Bestsellers:

1. Super Mario Bros.
2. Pokemon Dream Radar
3. Gunman Clive
4. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
5. Crimson Shroud
6. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
7. Pokedex 3D Pro
8. Super Mario 3D Land
9. New Super Mario Bros. 2
10. The "Denpa" Men: They Came By Wave
11. Dr. Mario
12. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
13. Pullblox
14. Colors! 3D
15. Mario Kart 7
16. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Gold Coins
17. Fallblox
18. Wario Land 3
19. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
20. Mega Man

Random observations:
  • Quite a few retail games have climbed up - some have been sitting lower, while others have re-charted. I think we can attribute that to people's holiday spending.
  • DD 'evergreens' have climbed up as well - first time I see Pullblox above Fallblox.
  • Crimson Shroud has been doing great despite the fact it's dropped a couple of places.
  • Some titles in there have unbelievable legs - I don't think Colors! has ever left the charts since I first spotted it in!
  • Gunman Clive at its highest yet! Oh my, could it ever?.. : )

Sleepy

Figured I would ask this here: I am having trouble accessing a WiFi point with a Layton game using my 3DS. I search for access point through the game and come up with nothing, or an error, at my house, which has wifi. And today at Starbucks, it could locate the wifi service but not access it. What am I doing wrong?

Chasing Aurora is pretty bad, regret getting it even on sale. Couldn't get past more then 2 rounds in multiplayer, everyone thought it was boring and some even expressed hatred towards it, lol.

Figured I would ask this here: I am having trouble accessing a WiFi point with a Layton game using my 3DS. I search for access point through the game and come up with nothing, or an error, at my house, which has wifi. And today at Starbucks, it could locate the wifi service but not access it. What am I doing wrong?

Which Layton game? If it's a DS cartridge, they can only access wi-fi with WEP encryption*. Also, some Starbucks will require a web browser authentication.

*Almost all DS games have this limitation. Some DS games are DSi enhanced in terms of what wi-fi they can connect to. For example Pokemon Black/White can connect to WPA1/2 just fine. There aren't many of these games though.

Sleepy

Which Layton game? If it's a DS cartridge, they can only access wi-fi with WEP encryption*. Also, some Starbucks will require a web browser authentication.

*Almost all DS games have this limitation. Some DS games are DSi enhanced in terms of what wi-fi they can connect to. For example Pokemon Black/White can connect to WPA1/2 just fine. There aren't many of these games though.

Unwound Future. How do I know if the spot has WEP encryption? Thanks, BTW.

Unwound Future. How do I know if the spot has WEP encryption? Thanks, BTW.

No problem. Unfortunately you won't find much WEP encryption in the wild because it can be broken using freely available tools, so you probably won't find it anyway. Stuff like the Starbucks connection says it's unencrypted, but as I said before, it needs authorization through the web browser. Tricky stuff.

I'd say, if you want to download the Layton puzzles, to remove the encryption from your wi-fi at home for a brief period of time and then reapply when you're done, or if your laptop or desktop supports wireless sharing, broadcast a limited, unencrypted signal for a few minutes. I know this can be done on Macs without too much effort, but Windows I'm not sure; do some Googleing.

Sleepy

I appreciate the help/advice. I'll give it a go.

Should have just made these damn puzzles unlockable in the game. :/

JavyOO7

Nintendo official Wii U page at facebook says this about Zen Pinball:

"Zen Pinball 2 is headed to the Wii U eShop! Pick one pack of themed Pinball machines, ranging from Plants Vs. Zombies to Marvel, or get ‘em all!"

Top Bottom