• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2014

Robin64

Please note: Contra III The Alien Wars on Wii U Virtual Console is the US version of the game. This title was originally released in Europe as "Super Probotector: Alien Rebels".

/dancing

donny2112

I LOVE having a physical collection for my games.

My physical collection after some decades has a lot of excess filler, though. With the eShop card deals at Best Buy over the past month and the sheer convenience of having games already on the system (3DS mainly but also Wii U), been really evaluating just what games I still want in physical form. With the 10% back for deluxe purchases on Wii U + the 20% card discount at Best Buy, it's already a 30% off for games on Wii U and 20% off for games on 3DS, so the lack of sales on 1st party retail software is mooted somewhat. That just leaves what games would make sense to always have on the system (e.g. Mario Kart, Layton for the daily puzzles, Animal Crossing), which ones would only have a short lifespan to need available for the system to stay physical, and which ones I just have to have physical copies of for collection purposes.

VanWinkle

My physical collection after some decades has a lot of excess filler, though. With the eShop card deals at Best Buy over the past month and the sheer convenience of having games already on the system (3DS mainly but also Wii U), been really evaluating just what games I still want in physical form. With the 10% back for deluxe purchases on Wii U + the 20% card discount at Best Buy, it's already a 30% off for games on Wii U and 20% off for games on 3DS, so the lack of sales on 1st party retail software is mooted somewhat. That just leaves what games would make sense to always have on the system (e.g. Mario Kart, Layton for the daily puzzles, Animal Crossing), which ones would only have a short lifespan to need available for the system to stay physical, and which ones I just have to have physical copies of for collection purposes.

Will I at least get the 60 coins from Club Nintendo for the purchase?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ah right, tomorrow's the Bravery Default demo. Gonna have to check it out to see what the hype's all about. & hopefully we'll hear a price on Chibi Robo for next week, though thankfully that'll have a demo as well.

Drago

Ah right, tomorrow's the Bravery Default demo. Gonna have to check it out to see what the hype's all about. & hopefully we'll hear a price on Chibi Robo for next week, though thankfully that'll have a demo as well.
Chibi Robo is confirmed to be $10 on the official website for the game. I can't wait!!

L~A

Strange that it's on the European website, with a "TBD" release date... it's quite rare for a VC to get on the website without a proper release date, as they always add them a few days before release.

Pretty sure we won't get it this week, though.

By the way, there's something REALLY odd. Why is the EU website saying Mario Tennis on the 3DS VC is the N64 version? Isn't it supposed to be the GameBoy Color version? I mean, the screenshots from the press server clearly are from the GBC game, and besides, there's no N64 game on the 3DS.

donny2112

Will I at least get the 60 coins from Club Nintendo for the purchase?

If you linked your eShop account to your Club Nintendo account prior to the puchase, the registration survey should show up automatically. If you did not link your eShop account to your Club Nintendo account prior to the purchase, link them, and then call Nintendo support about retroactively enabling the registration survey for your account. After filling out the registration survey, the CN coins will be added, yes. :)

MMX2 is nice but it's another title NA should have gotten sooner. I'm not purchasing anything else off the eShop until SMB 3 or LTTP are released. Not going to reward NOA's idiotic trickle down release tactics.

Edit: Didn't someone ask Capcom about MMX2 recently and they said Nintendo has a strict release schedule for VC games they have no choice but to abide with?

rjc571

Banned
Strange that it's on the European website, with a "TBD" release date... it's quite rare for a VC to get on the website without a proper release date, as they always add them a few days before release.

Pretty sure we won't get it this week, though.

By the way, there's something REALLY odd. Why is the EU website saying Mario Tennis on the 3DS VC is the N64 version? Isn't it supposed to be the GameBoy Color version? I mean, the screenshots from the press server clearly are from the GBC game, and besides, there's no N64 game on the 3DS.

They made a mistake. It's not really that odd.

cacildo

Ugh, guys, I hate this. I went to Walmart to buy Super Mario 3D World (I had to not buy it in case I had got it for Christmas, which I didn't). Well, they DIDN'T HAVE IT. I was shocked. There was't even an empty spot for it. So, I went to Gamestop and they were closed which seemed weird for a retail place to close early on New Years Day, but whatever. Angry, I went all the way to another town close by to their Walmart which has a much more fleshed out video game section. THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT EITHER! No empty spot or anything. I could not believe it.

Finally, I was like, well, mall is closed too so I'll try Toys R Us. They didn't have it. WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?! I was so mad. I checked Amazon and they weren't selling it either. What happened to this game? Did it disappear off the face of the earth?

Well, now I have to do something which I'm FURIOUS at myself for actually doing, which is buying a full retail game off of the Nintendo eShop. ARRRRRRRRRRRGGHH!!! I can't believe I am doing this.

Do you think the game was sold out or do they never had the games to begin with?

Haha, that's pretty funny. Just a lazy mistake by the looks of it, they've used the exact same information from when the N64 Mario Tennis was released on Wii VC.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
X2 is nice & all (if it goes on sale again, maybe I'll grab it), but I hope this means we'll eventually see the rest of the GB Mega Man games since I've never got to play those aside from Xtreme.

That reminds me, would chart-track also combine Mario Tennis N64 and GBC sales (they're both called Mario Tennis, that is enough)?

You know what this means. Buying Probotector on the Wii shop qualifies you for an "upgrade" to Contra on the Wii U shop.

tim1138

How is the Dungeons and Dragons game? I saw it was on sale for $7.50 and I have about $9 left in credit after getting Project X Zone and SSF4 on 3DS.

VanWinkle

If you linked your eShop account to your Club Nintendo account prior to the puchase, the registration survey should show up automatically. If you did not link your eShop account to your Club Nintendo account prior to the purchase, link them, and then call Nintendo support about retroactively enabling the registration survey for your account. After filling out the registration survey, the CN coins will be added, yes. :)

Okay, good, yeah I already have it linked. Thanks.

Edit: Hmmm I went to the CN website and it's not showing it. :/ it's showing other Wii-U related stuff on the to-do list, so I know they're linked.

Do you think the game was sold out or do they never had the games to begin with?

I can only imagine that it was sold out, since all the places I went to had plenty of Wii U games, especially Toys R Us. It was just so crazy that NOWHERE had it.

L~A

Haha, that's pretty funny. Just a lazy mistake by the looks of it, they've used the exact same information from when the N64 Mario Tennis was released on Wii VC.

Actually, they didn't reuse the info, they just updated the existing page... for the N64 game, ha ha.

By the way, finally got to buy Hakuoki : Memories of the Shinsengumi. Hope to try it out this evening :)

Chairhome

How is the Dungeons and Dragons game? I saw it was on sale for $7.50 and I have about $9 left in credit after getting Project X Zone and SSF4 on 3DS.

Some of my favorite beat em up games. I played the arcade versions mostly, picked it up for PC and haven't played as much as I've wanted to, but they're great games, especially if you can find people to play with. There are command moves (Down, up attack; down, forward,attack; etc), loot, multiple paths, multiple character classes. Good stuff if you like side scrolling beat em ups.

90sRobots

Fair warning: SSF4 is a big file. Definitely need to delete some demos. Maybe even that crummy firefighter game I got for free on Twitter!

cacildo

Can you imagine N64 Mario Tennis on the 3DS with download play?

homerbabayyssq.gif

tim1138

Some of my favorite beat em up games. I played the arcade versions mostly, picked it up for PC and haven't played as much as I've wanted to, but they're great games, especially if you can find people to play with. There are command moves (Down, up attack; down, forward,attack; etc), loot, multiple paths, multiple character classes. Good stuff if you like side scrolling beat em ups.

Sounds like a great pick up. My wife and I are always on the look out for good co op games.

Eyothrie

sörine;95585017 said:
I'm happier with this than either SMB3 or ALTTP. Konami needs to hurry up with the Turbografx though.

Really? This is the 6th Megaman game on Wii U VC. I'm quite tired of them.

sörine

Banned
X and classic aren't really all that alike. I mean there's 4 Marios and 2 Zeldas on Wii U VC already, does that mean Super Punch Out was a better release over them last week in your opinion? Aren't you quite tired of Mario after 4 games now?

kunonabi

it would be nice if they were putting out the missing titles like X3, MM6, MM7, or Rockman & Forte. Still if I was throwing money away on stuff I already owned X2 would be at the top of the list.

KaYotiX

Banned
Started playing MM-X lastnight, forgot how damn good that game is. I welcome MM-X2.

Just wish they would release more VC games on the 3ds, its perfect platform for it.

Eyothrie

sörine;95589568 said:
X and classic aren't really all that alike. I mean there's 4 Marios and 2 Zeldas on Wii U VC already, does that mean Super Punch Out was a better release over them last week in your opinion? Aren't you quite tired of Mario after 4 games now?

Yes, I'm beyond tired of Mario. Serious Mario fatigue right here

Roto13

I'd rather have this than Link to the Past or Super Mario Bros. 3, really. I've played those other two to death but I've only finished Mega Man X 2 like once.

It's pretty cool. Definitely get it if you have someone to play it with and maybe get it if you don't.

Found an old wii points card with 2000 points. They don't work with the eshop, do they? If not, I could give it away, someone interested? Hope it's still valid...

Tenki

Found an old wii points card with 2000 points. They don't work with the eshop, do they? If not, I could give it away, someone interested? Hope it's still valid...

You can use it on the Wii Shopping Channel, buy some VC games and then pay the extra $1 or $1.50 to have the game on Wii U.

Or you can also give it to me if it's EUR lol

Jucksalbe

Banned

They only work on the Wii shop and DSi shop, but I'd try it it anyway, since I'm not 100% sure. If it's an European code, I'd be happy to take it, if it doesn't work. Better yet, give them to Tenki.

Top Bottom