• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2014

Not at home next to my Wii U at the moment, but checking Miiverse there is neither a Contar III nor a Super Probotector community online. What's going on?

Is it still an ok thing to complain about NOA or is that getting really old and doing nothing to help us?

I politely but firmly let them have it every single time I do a Club Nintendo survey for a VC game when I get to the questions on whether 'Overall are you satisfied with the VC service?' and then go into detail in the thoughts/comment box after that. I'd encourage others to do the same, all we can do I guess.

Blows my mind that we managed to finally get Earthbound (thanks to Iwata stepping up for us obviously after taking note of the Miiverse outpouring, NOT Reggie-I-Don't-Pay-Attention-to-Fan-Campaigns and NOA) yet NA is the only region that still doesn't have SMB3 and LTTP on the eShop. I really wish someone like Emily Rogers or someone could get a source and find out more of what goes on at NOA regarding very unfriendly practices like this.

Oh well, I'm a shmup fanatic so at least I get to upgrade my copy of NES Gradius. Won't bother waiting months/years for PCE Gradius as I have a sealed copy of the Hucard waiting for whenever I get around to replacing my broken Turbo Duo. =]

Is NES Remix content/value wise really worth $15? Looks fun but finding it hard to pull the trigger. Definitely not getting Dr. Luigi, total rip off.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is NES Remix content/value wise really worth $15? Looks fun but finding it hard to pull the trigger. Definitely not getting Dr. Luigi, total rip off.

YES. I was doubtful at first but I bought it thanks to the impressions in the GAF thread. It is fantastic.

steveovig

Bought Gradius today despite my disapproval of NOA's tactics. I'm taking a shower and starting it up. Too many complainers about this game on Miiverse. Someone even had the nerve to call it a bad game.

Roto13

Bought Gradius today despite my disapproval of NOA's tactics. I'm taking a shower and starting it up. Too many complainers about this game on Miiverse. Someone even had the nerve to call it a bad game.

People complain about good games because they're not Zelda or Mario and that's bullshit. I almost don't want those people to even get Zelda or Mario. Make them play some actual bad games instead.

Sendou

Is NES Remix content/value wise really worth $15? Looks fun but finding it hard to pull the trigger.

It's a fun game. Not the best deal out there but unless you loathe NES games or this type of game structure (score attack, replaying stages to perfect your perfomance) definitely get it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Darts Up 3D is on sale for 99 cents.

Also... a rather odd thing is going on with a company named Zordix AB and eShop "sales"...

Back in December, the 3DS game "Snow Moto Racing" was listed as being "on sale" for $5.99 until Jan 9th, with a "normal price" of $7.99.

This was odd, as the game was released at $5.99.

Today, the game bumped in price from $5.99 to $7.99 -- perhaps the first time a game has increased in price on the eShop. (Not counting intentional, announced, "launch discounts.)

What makes this more interesting is the fact that, as of this morning, Zordix AB has another faux sale going on for their Aqua Moto Racing title -- the $5.99 game is currently "on sale" for $5.99, with $7.99 being given as the normal price.

Zordix AB appears to be intentionally raising the prices on their two 3DS titles, but in a rather slimy way.

Goody

That's been about the first day of any VC game released in the last few weeks. I know we all want Mario 3 (which, to be fair, was supposed to have released by now) and Zelda, but there's a point where the complaints get a hyperbolic.

YES. I was doubtful at first but I bought it thanks to the impressions in the GAF thread. It is fantastic.

It's a fun game. Not the best deal out there but unless you loathe NES games or this type of game structure (score attack, replaying stages to perfect your perfomance) definitely get it.

Thanks guys. I definitely love replaying stages/going for score. I have $5 worth of credit to be redeemed on my Deluxe Digital Promotion account, maybe I'll put it toward this.

Edit: Speaking of perfecting/replaying, I've 1CC'd the arcade version (the port on the PSP collection) on at least three occasions. :) And anyone calling it a bad game deserves some Deep Hurting.

zroid

Banned
Yeah, I would say NES Remix is a case of NoA (not NoE!) missing the mark with "perceived value", because a lot of people are going to, at least at first, feel it's not worth $15. To some people, it won't be.

But rest assured there's a ton of content in there, so if you think it's the kind of game you will enjoy, then you'll get plenty value from it.

Yeah, I would say NES Remix is a case of NoA (not NoE!) missing the mark with "perceived value", because a lot of people are going to, at least at first, feel it's not worth $15. To some people, it won't be.

But rest assured there's a ton of content in there, so if you think it's the kind of game you will enjoy, then you'll get plenty value from it.

Thanks, looking more likely I'll be getting it.

steveovig

I'm just now realizing I can post screenshots in replies on Miiverse. This makes high score battles better. Too bad it's hard to find people good at games like Yoshi or Gradius.

So I am not a super player or anything. Most NES games I can't play very well anymore. Is NES Remix like a hardcore challenge mode type of thing?

BJWanlund

Nope. No tax at the store, taxes are on the eShop if you enter in your zip code and you have sales tax in your area. Sucks I know.

Michigan seemed to go back and forth on that a bit over the years, but now it's the value of the card with no tax, and tax is charged to my eShop credit when I make a purchase.

That really sucks because that means your $20 card isn't really worth $20 once it's redeemed. I would rather pay the tax at the store and get the full $20 credit on my account.

Goli

That really sucks because that means your $20 card isn't really worth $20 once it's redeemed. I would rather pay the tax at the store and get the full $20 credit on my account.

You can just input a zip code from a tax free area, that's what I did. I don't even live in the US but I have a US 3DS.

zigg

Eh, I'm not troubled by the notion of carrying a small balance to cover tax. When it finally comes time to empty the account at the end of the 3DS' life, I'll just use the option to charge whatever I'm missing and end up at zero.

You can just input a zip code from a tax free area, that's what I did. I don't even live in the US but I have a US 3DS.
Technically, yes, but for US residents in many states (including Michigan), one is legally obligated to pay sales tax.

Eh, I'm not troubled by the notion of carrying a small balance to cover tax. When it finally comes time to empty the account at the end of the 3DS' life, I'll just use the option to charge whatever I'm missing and end up at zero.

I suppose that if I have $20 on my account and I need $21.36 then the extra $1.36 will come off of my card. I don't have to add another set amount like $10 just to pay the $1.36, right?

zigg

I suppose that if I have $20 on my account and I need $21.36 then the extra $1.36 will come off of my card. I don't have to add another set amount like $10 just to pay the $1.36, right?
Nope. Any time you buy from the eShop and don't have enough credit, you can charge just enough to complete your purchase.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it's entirely not worth it. It's better than $5 for Urban Champion. Also, I think V is overrated! The levels are too long!

You know, I wonder why Konami doesn't make V available on digital platforms.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Chatin

What does the EShop think is new in the Pokemon category? It got my hopes up that the Bank might finally be out.

zroid

Banned
So after sitting on it for months, I fiiiiinally went ahead and started SteamWorld Dig.

everyone was right!

rjc571

Banned
So after sitting on it for months, I fiiiiinally went ahead and started SteamWorld Dig.

everyone was right!

I wish they would put out a demo, because the gameplay seems really unappealing to me based on the impressions and video footage I've seen. They need to put out a demo so I can understand what makes the game so good. Otherwise there's no chance that I'm ever going to buy it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wish they would put out a demo, because the gameplay seems really unappealing to me based on the impressions and video footage I've seen. They need to put out a demo so I can understand what makes the game so good. Otherwise there's no chance that I'm ever going to buy it.

I'm one of the few on he board who doesn't like it. It is incredibly repetitive.

rjc571

Banned
I'm one of the few on he board who doesn't like it. It is incredibly repetitive.

Yeah, I don't mind repetitive games if the task being repeated is fun, but I don't know how fun the digging aspect of the game is going to be for me. Which is why I won't buy it unless there's a demo.

zroid

Banned
In many ways, digging in SWD is like an RPG grind. Grinding gets a bad rap, but there's a reason many people can find it enjoyable -- if it's paced well. SWD really nails the pacing, which makes it fun. Every so often you encounter little mini-challenges in the mine, which you need to tread carefully around to successfully create a path. Otherwise you could get stuck or end up with an annoying climb. You get better at this as you play, but the game also throws more interesting digging challenges at you, so you're kept on your toes. In addition to the digging itself, the upgrade cycle is quick so you're always getting new stuff to play with.

With that said, I think some people hate grinding no matter what, so they will probably get bored.

donny2112

Has this game ever been on sale on eShop?

Don't think there have been any first-party eShop sales for retail titles. Want to say that they sometimes start off at a lower than MSRP price on eShop (am I misremembering here?), but once they're on the eShop at a price, they haven't moved, so far.

D-e-f-

Banned
Don't think there have been any first-party eShop sales for retail titles. Want to say that they sometimes start off at a lower than MSRP price on eShop (am I misremembering here?), but once they're on the eShop at a price, they haven't moved, so far.

I don't think the first party retail titles have ever been anything other than their MSRP, at launch or post launch.

Starfox 64 3D is going for $19.99 on Groupon.

Has this game ever been on sale on eShop?

No.

In many ways, digging in SWD is like an RPG grind. Grinding gets a bad rap, but there's a reason many people can find it enjoyable -- if it's paced well. SWD really nails the pacing, which makes it fun. Every so often you encounter little mini-challenges in the mine, which you need to tread carefully around to successfully create a path. Otherwise you could get stuck or end up with an annoying climb. You get better at this as you play, but the game also throws more interesting digging challenges at you, so you're kept on your toes. In addition to the digging itself, the upgrade cycle is quick so you're always getting new stuff to play with.

With that said, I think some people hate grinding no matter what, so they will probably get bored.

Heh ...grinding. Literally. :D

What's so awesome about SteamWorld Dig is how it FEELS. I love how the jumping feels. This might have my favorite wall-jump ever. Your character feels so bouncy but you're always 100% in control. I would completely ignore those shortcut teleporters in favor of just wall-jumping back up the entire way and I would dig paths accordingly.

Top Bottom