• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2016

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Project X Zone 2 demo is up. Downloading now, will update to see how many plays you get.

Edit: Hearing it's 30 this time around compared to the freakin' FIVE the first game's demo had.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not exactly sure where to put this news but this is a good a place as any, just did an interview with porthouse Abstraction Games, for the Wii U audience they did the port of Whispering Willows, they have told me that they are bringing a couple of games to the Wii U(And PS4/XBO) in the next few months.

In March they are releasing Kick & Fennick:
http://jaywalkersinteractive.com/kick-fennick/

In April they are releasing Devil's Dare:
http://www.devilsdare.com/

They are looking at a pricing for both title in the realm of 10 Euros.

OnPoint

Just thought this would be good to bring up here...

tumblr_inline_o1ixalDal21r43rse_500.png

It'll be $9.99 :)

maxcriden

Not exactly sure where to put this news but this is a good a place as any, just did an interview with porthouse Abstraction Games, for the Wii U audience they did the port of Whispering Willows, they have told me that they are bringing a couple of games to the Wii U(And PS4/XBO) in the next few months.

In March they are releasing Kick & Fennick:
http://jaywalkersinteractive.com/kick-fennick/

In April they are releasing Devil's Dare:
http://www.devilsdare.com/

They are looking at a pricing for both title in the realm of 10 Euros.

That's awesome. I saw a lot of praise for K&F on here. Glad to hear it and thanks for the info!

steveovig

I think I'm pretty close to being done with Megaman Battle Network 5 and I still want some more BN action. 4 is the only one, besides 6, that I haven't beaten on the GBA. Is 4 a hard one to get all the chips and do everything? I think I have mentioned before that I don't like the Liberation Missions too much, from 5. There is nothing like that in 4, right? I played some of 4 a couple years back but I don't remember much of it. I also hear that 4 is the worst of the 6 games but I don't think that bothers me too much. Also, are the Soul Unions done the same way as in 5?

Pokemaniac

Are the U downloads packed or why is the "used disc space" number almost twice as big?

The eShop number is the space needed to install. For smaller downloads, this generally around twice the size of the download, while for larger stuff, it adds an extra GB or two.

The number reported by the download manager is how much it actually has to download. This is usually pretty close to the final install size, but with up to a few hundred MB extra, suggesting that there is some extra data that it throws away during the install (probably checksums and the like).

Temple of Yog is really great. The use of two screens is inventive and couldn't really be replicated on another platform. It plays similarly to Binding of Isaac, only on two separate planes and with four character classes. (think light and dark worlds that you switch between) Also has some really lite base building mechanics. Really addictive. I downloaded it early and put around 2 and half hours in in one sitting.

Chudchud did a fantastic job with this game and more free content is coming soon. These guys really deserve some support. I think I only paid $6.

joedick

Weelllll, Mario Kart 8 & Hyrule Warriors sort of kind of had what you could call "season passes" considering you were buying all of the DLC in advance for a discount & could download them for free once they were released. I don't know if Nintendo specifically called them that, but I know a good amount of people on GAF were calling them that.

Nintendo called it a season pass for Hyrule Warriors:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/512692570141782016

Shizza

In regards to FF Tactics: I haven't played that one yet, but have been meaning to. Is there is a consensus on which version is better (PSX or GBA)?

Etria

In regards to FF Tactics: I haven't played that one yet, but have been meaning to. Is there is a consensus on which version is better (PSX or GBA)?

They are two completely different games. The one for PS1 is titled 'Final Fantasy Tactics'. The one for GBA that is being released this week is 'Final Fantasy Tactics Advance'. I haven't played FFTA before so can't comment on it. However, I personally recommend FFT: War of the Lions, which is the remake of the PS1 version with a new translation, additional characters added, etc. Just note that for the PSP remake, there is a slight slow down for animations when magic is cast during battles.

Despite that, if you have any love for strategy RPGs, an engrossing story full of politics and characters with hidden motives, and an amazing soundtrack, you should try it! One of the best games of all time. :D

Shizza

Hey, thanks for the replies! I was completely unaware they were different games. I do like SRPGs, so finding out there are 2 FF "Tactics" games feels like finding a bonus present on Christmas. I'll definitely pick them both up then.

Robin64

Hey, thanks for the replies! I was completely unaware they were different games. I do like SRPGs, so finding out there are 2 FF "Tactics" games feels like finding a bonus present on Christmas. I'll definitely pick them both up then.

Actually there's a third one in the series on DS. :)

Shizza

I think you can't go wrong with either playing FFT or FFTA first but you would definitely go wrong if you played FFTA2 first.

That's another good question: Are FFT and FFTA sequential in story lines, or are they as different from each other as the numbered FF games?

Robin64

That's another good question: Are FFT and FFTA sequential in story lines, or are they as different from each other as the numbered FF games?

So totally different. Many FFT fans outright hate FFTA because of that, and because of the slightly more "light hearted" nature of it.

I always found it funny that they called it Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, because it was released to the DS instead of the Game Boy Advance.

jholmes

Never could get into A2, don't know why.

I feel the same way, and it's almost to the point where I want to play the game again and find out just what it is that doesn't click with me (and likely many others).

They're like numbered FF games in terms of difference in plot and, like Robin said, very different in tone. Some elements of the setting are similar, but that's also true of FFXII.

I don't know that I think FFTA is the better game but it's more forgiving at points (one of FFT's few but very significant flaws is a boss encounter that players are often woefully unprepared for that takes place after a save point, leading some people to just abandon the save file and start again from scratch).

EDIT: Just got an email about Armikrog! The update includes news on the Wii U port. The news is: there will be real news in the next Kickstarter update. Uhh, OK?

I've never even played a FF game (the JRPGs I've played are Chrono Trigger, EB, and Dragon Quest V), let alone a SRPG. The only real strategy game I've played is the first Advance Wars, I'm guessing FFTA would be pretty easy to get into either way, right? It just looks fun and charming but is the gameplay deep enough and rewarding? Good replay value? I actually might be getting the cart to play on my backlit modded GBA 001. :)

Nairume

Banned
I've never even played a FF game (the JRPGs I've played are Chrono Trigger, EB, and Dragon Quest V), let alone a SRPG. The only real strategy game I've played is the first Advance Wars, I'm guessing FFTA would be pretty easy to get into either way, right? It just looks fun and charming but is the gameplay deep enough and rewarding? Good replay value? I actually might be getting the cart to play on my backlit modded GBA 001. :)
It's a very easy one to get into. Even with the restrictions in place due to the law system, it's ultimately a much more forgiving game than its genre peers.

Nbz

I just downloaded War of the Lions on my Vita yesterday! Will have to truck through that so I can eventually get to FFTA!

Javier

I have to say, this really looks like of the better Nintendo Downloads weeks for America:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Shadow Puppeteer (Wii U)
Joe's Diner (Wii U)
Level 22 (Wii U)
Mini Games Madness Volume #1 - Hello World! (Wii U)
Hello Kitty's Magic Apron (3DS)
RV-7 My Drone (3DS)
Crazy Train (DSiWare, yes, they're still making these)

Now, I can't say I care about any of the 3DS stuff, but Wii U getting FFTA and Shadow Puppeteer alone makes it worth. We also get Level 22 (A port of a Steam game which I heard was quite fun), and even Joe's Diner looks kinda interesting looking at the description in the Nintendo.com page.

I have to say I'm pretty pleased with this week's offerings. I could complain, but it would feel like nitpicking.

L~A

NA:

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

FINAL FANTASY EXPLORERS – Master more than 20 jobs, each offering unique ways to defeat or even recruit the realm’s mightiest monsters. Players will have the ability to call upon the powers of eidolons like Ifrit and Bahamut, as well as transform into legendary characters from the FINAL FANTASY series via the Trance ability. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

LEGO® Marvel’s Avengers – The best-selling LEGO Marvel video game franchise returns with a new action-packed superhero adventure on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems. LEGO Marvel’s Avengers features characters and storylines from the critically acclaimed Marvel films, additional classic Avengers characters featured in Marvel Comics, open-world game play and the introduction of dynamic new Team-Up Moves. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U

Shadow Puppeteer – Invite a friend to explore the strange, yet beautiful, world of darkness and light in Shadow Puppeteer, an award-winning local co-op adventure. Work together as a boy and his shadow, manipulating light to solve puzzles that bring you closer to finding the evil shadow puppeteer. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.

Virtual Console on Wii U

FINAL FANTASY Tactics Advance – When Marche and his friends open an ancient magical tome, their small town is transformed into a fantasy-filled kingdom known as Ivalice. In this Game Boy Advance RPG classic, guide Marche and his clan against countless foes, and discover the wonders of Ivalice. Build up your party, master abilities and summons, and learn tactical combat to win in battle.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

It’s the last week of the Winter Warm-up Sale! Check out this week’s deals and save up to 30 percent off select games. The sale ends Feb. 4 at 8:59 a.m. PT.
99Moves, Darts Up 3D and more games from Enjoy Up are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U

TNT Racers – Nitro Machines Edition is more than 35 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 11.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Art of Balance TOUCH! is 25 percent off (reduced from $6.99 to $5.20) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 18.
Classic Games Overload: Card & Puzzle Edition is 50 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 22.
The Magic Hammer is 40 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.

Also new this week:

Hello Kitty’s Magic Apron (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
RV-7 My Drone (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
The Magic Hammer – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Joe’s Diner (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Level 22 (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
MINI-GAMES MADNESS VOLUME: #1 – HELLO WORLD! (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Crazy Train (DSiWare on Nintendo DSi)

donny2112

If Classic Games Overload: Card & Puzzle Edition ever drops to $10, I'll probably get it. It's still based on the wonderful GBA game that had some really good AI for Spades, so it's worth it for me just for that. It's still $30 on the eShop and only ever drops 50% off, though. :/

LayLa

Just got an "early access" code for the Bravely Second demo as I'd preordered the limited edition from the Nintendo UK store. Is this the first time they've done something like this?

jholmes

EarthBound is on sale! Wow!

Other sale items include Affordable Space Adventures, Breath of Fire, Castlevania, Elliot Quest, Minish Cap... decent sale here.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

Wii U | Sales

• TNT Racers – Nitro Machines Edition is more than 35 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 11.
  • 99Moves and more games from Enjoy Up are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• The Magic Hammer (Wobbly Tooth Games | Demo)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Art of Balance TOUCH! is 25 percent off (reduced from $6.99 to $5.20) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 18.
  • Classic Games Overload: Card & Puzzle Edition is 50 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 22.
  • The Magic Hammer is 40 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.
  • Darts Up 3D and more games from Enjoy Up are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Feb. 25.

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

vYU92.png

• Skylanders SuperChargers (Activision)
    Boost Kit (€1.99 | £1.59)
    Super Kit (€4.99 | £3.99)
    Mega Kit (€9.99 | £7.99)

• Cube Life: Island Survival (Cypronia | Demo)

Wii U | Sales

• Affordable Space Adventures (KnapNok Games) - €13.20/ £11.80 (Ends February 4, normally €18.99 / £16.99)
  • Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations (Little Orbit) - €19.99/£15.99 (Ends February 27, normally €29.99/£24.99)
  • Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends (Little Orbit) - €19.99/£15.99 (Ends February 27, normally €29.99/£24.99)
  • Tabletop Gallery (RCMADIAX) - €2.99/£2.69 (Permanent, was €4.49/£4.09)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Art of Balance TOUCH! (Shin'en Multimedia) - €5.20/£4.70 (Ends February 18, normally €6.99/£6.29)
  • Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations (Little Orbit) - €19.99/£15.99 (Ends February 27, normally €29.99/£24.99)
  • Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends (Little Orbit) - €19.99/£15.99 (Ends February 27, normally €29.99/£24.99)
  • Barbie and her Sisters Puppy Rescue (Little Orbit) - €19.99/£15.99 (Ends February 27, normally €29.99/£24.99)
  • Monster High New Ghoul in School (Little Orbit) - €19.99/£15.99 (Ends February 27, normally €29.99/£24.99)

uxwGK.png

Ondore

3DS list: Fantasy Life, Virtue's Last Reward, Shantae Pirate's Curse, Xeodrifter (crossbuy), Attack of the Friday Monsters, Metroid and Castlevania.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3DS list: Fantasy Life, Virtue's Last Reward, Shantae Pirate's Curse, Xeodrifter (crossbuy), Attack of the Friday Monsters, Metroid and Castlevania.

Real solid list there, though the sale on Shantae could be better its easily the best game in ther series.

kswiston

I will at least debate getting Earthbound and Minish Cap.

Fantasy Life is back on sale (looks like 30% off) for those interested in the game. Definitely worth $28.

Top Bottom