• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2016

Ondore

Sale list for Wii U:

Super Mario 3D World ($41.99, regular $59.99)
Game and Wario ($20.99, regular $29.99)
Rayman Legends ($27.99, regular $39.99)
Freedom Planet ($10.49, regular $14.99)
Teslagrad ($9.99, regular $14.99)
Donkey Kong Country ($5.59, regular $7.99)
BIT.Trip Presents... Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien ($4.99, regular $14.99)
Vs. Excitebike ($3.49, regular $4.99)

3DS:

Sonic Generations ($20.99/$25.59, regular $29.99)
Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations Alive ($13.99, regular $19.99)
OlliOlli ($4.99, regular $9.99, crossbuy)
SteamWorld Dig ($4.99/$6.99, regular $8.99)
3D Excitebike ($4.19/$5.24, regular $5.99/$7.49)
Wario Land 3 ($3.49, regular $4.99)
Donkey Kong Jr ($3.49, regular $4.99)
Mighty Bomb Jack ($3.49, regular $4.99)
Toki Tori 3D ($1.39, regular $1.99)

jholmes

Once anyone gets SMA4, can you confirm the # of e-Reader levels included? Thanks!

WVW69iz1KT8l7p5vTy

Is that all of the levels released previously, including the Japan-exclusive ones?

Yes, this includes all of the U.S. and Japan e-levels which all together totaled 38 levels. This is the first time people both in Japan and the West will be able to play every single SMB e-reader level released.

TheMoon

And now, time for some Dex news.

We’re happy to announce that the PS4 and Xbox One versions are currently in the submission process, with Wii U and PS Vita not far behind! We’re very happy with the progress we’ve been making and we can’t wait to share it all with you.

The updated DRM-free version for PC will also be available very soon, and it will contain all the improvements of the Enhanced Version, as well as the free DLC “Extra Outfits”.

As for localization, Polish will be added to the mix with our next update, and Spanish will be available alongside the console releases.

That’s it for today!

Have a great evening!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreadlocks/dex-cyberpunk-2d-rpg/posts/1471216

maxcriden

Why does Ubisoft insist on charging so much for Rayman Legends when they put it on sale all the time but never discount it below the going price of the physical version....

fernoca

Minecraft Story Mode seems to be missing the season pass at the moment even though in-game there's an option to purchase it.

At the same time is not a big deal since each episode will be $4.99, the season pass is for episodes 2 through 5 for $19.99 making episode 1 and the pass $24.98.

Buying individually is $24.95.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Cool, Freedom Planet's on sale. Got that since I missed out on the discount for downloading the demo.

I'll wait on SMB3 since I have a good feeling Nintendo will put it on sale eventually, considering all the times SMB3 (NES) was discounted.

While I may be looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't program the special switch cards into the game. It wouldn't have been any harder than doing the levels. They were really cool too!:

Orange Switch causes enemies to turn to coins when hit with fireballs instead of simply dying
Blue Green Switch adds turnips to every level
Blue Switch turns 1UPs into 3UP Moons
Yellow Switch gives Luigi his Mario 2 jump
Green Switch slows down the timer for the first 50 seconds of a level
Cyan Switch halves the P-Meter
Red Switch replaces all enemies with more difficult incarnations (which would have been amazing and made me want to replay every level!)

Pokemaniac

Minecraft Story Mode seems to be missing the season pass at the moment even though in-game there's an option to purchase it.

At the same time is not a big deal since each episode will be $4.99, the season pass is for episodes 2 through 5 for $19.99 making episode 1 and the pass $24.98.

Buying individually is $24.95.

Have you tried the option to purchase it in-game? It might actually exist on the eShop, but be unlisted for whatever reason. From what I've observed, the Wii U seems like it should have the capability to have DLC that can only be purchased from within the app.

fernoca

Have you tried the option to purchase it in-game? It might actually exist on the eShop, but be unlisted for whatever reason. From what I've observed, the Wii U seems like it should have the capability to have DLC that can only be purchased from within the app.
Yeah. Tried it. It says buy it now but then when you click it says there's no content. Maybe when episode 2 is out.

maxcriden

While I may be looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't program the special switch cards into the game. It wouldn't have been any harder than doing the levels. They were really cool too!:

Orange Switch causes enemies to turn to coins when hit with fireballs instead of simply dying
Blue Green Switch adds turnips to every level
Blue Switch turns 1UPs into 3UP Moons
Yellow Switch gives Luigi his Mario 2 jump
Green Switch slows down the timer for the first 50 seconds of a level
Cyan Switch halves the P-Meter
Red Switch replaces all enemies with more difficult incarnations (which would have been amazing and made me want to replay every level!)

I thought Luigi already has that jump in SMA4?

maxcriden

I thought Luigi already has that jump in SMA4?

So I looked this up, here's a quote from the GS review:

Slightly more useful is the inclusion of a two-player variant of SMB3, where you and a friend can take turns playing the game as Mario and Luigi. Originally, Luigi was just a palette-swap for Mario in SMB3, but for Super Mario Advance 4 he's been replaced with the SMB2-style Luigi, with the taller, skinnier look, as well as the crazy leg-kicking thing while he's in the air. His abilities, however, are no different from Mario's.

Huh, his abilities are truly no different? I guess it's a placebo effect then....

I. . . I. . . I. . . Cannot explain it, everything went blank there for a few.

Hey, I'm just glad you're okay. I assumed you were just that excited about buying Wario Land 3 on the cheap.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aw man, EU gets the Project X Zone 2 demo today, but US has to wait until next Tuesday. Wonder if it still has the 5 play limit like the first game's demo had.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aw man, EU gets the Project X Zone 2 demo today, but US has to wait until next Tuesday. Wonder if it still has the 5 play limit like the first game's demo had.

Zonic, my friend, why would you ever want to play the PXZ2 Demo more than once. I know about the unlocks but it means replaying the same overlong scenes over and over! This is coming from a fan of the first game!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
A lot of people who played the first game's demo basically had the same reaction: "lol I don't know what I'm doing". Sometimes, it helps to play a demo more than once to fully understand how the gameplay works.

.....but I also want those unlocks.

jholmes

I haven't put a ton of time into it (I just booted it up for something to do while waiting for SMB3 GBA to drop) but Vs. Excitebike is really rather good. The engine noises are a lot less obnoxious and the between-level graphics are touched up a bit, plus you have multiplayer. If you like Excitebike I'd definitely get this for $3.50.

Also, I played a bit of Pokemon Pinball GBA today and I had this monster game going, eight Pokemon caught without losing a ball, beat both the bonus levels and had a high score around 120 million. Got into the first bonus game a second time, couldn't get Kecleon, and it just froze at 0 seconds left. I saved the game, restarted, tried to pick up, nothing would work. I couldn't even lose to save my high score! Rather annoyed by that.

So PXZ2 is pretty cool, I'm in!
Well I was buying it anyway as my boy Ryo Hazuki is in it, but the demo confirms it.
The animation is really great! The 'Crosspedia' with character and enemy bios and stage and organisation histories is a really nice (and much needed) touch too.
I bought the first at launch and still haven't played it, hopefully I'll actually play this one :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Would Vs. Excitebike be good for someone who feels like the NES original hasn't aged all that well, but had fun with the WiiWare title because of its better variety in track design?

jholmes

Would Vs. Excitebike be good for someone who feels like the NES original hasn't aged all that well, but had fun with the WiiWare title because of its better variety in track design?

Ehh... probably not, unless the real issue is that you just didn't give the NES game a fair shake. The gameplay is the same, the in-game graphics are the same. If you're the kind of guy where multiplayer is a big difference, maybe that will put you over. I can see this being a good game to spend an hour or so screwing around with when you've got a buddy over.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I got 3D Excitebike for free and it was....okay. It probably doesn't help I didn't really grow up with it & only had brief exposure to it growing up. I could've sworn liking it when I was younger, but replaying it, it wasn't as fun as I remembered.

Maybe it was just the design of the tracks in the NES version and/or how long they felt at times, where as something just "clicked" with me on the WiiWare one.

Oh man I'm really excited for GBA Mario 3! First VC release in awhile I'm genuinely hyped for! :D

Whenever it comes out in my region. :(

BooJoh

Picked up SMA4 for the e-Reader levels.

Weird that FFEX not only doesn't have preload in NA but wasn't listed on the PR and doesn't even have an eShop page yet.

90sRobots

So I looked this up, here's a quote from the GS review:

Huh, his abilities are truly no different? I guess it's a placebo effect then....

Gamespot smoking medical marijuana and wasn't paying attention. Luigi is DEFINITELY floatier in the e-Reader levels.

38 levels. This is such a huge deal. Deserves its own OT IMO.

Got SMB4A today. As someone who spent quite a bit of money a few years ago collecting and buying all the complete sets of the American SMB 3 e-cards, having all of the U.S. e-levels plus the Japanese levels is a bargain and a huge bonus well worth the $7.99. Until now, emulated and region converted printable e-reader files were the only way to enjoy the Japanese stages on an American copy of the game. Also, as said before, "No Time to Dawdle" is based on "Mad Dash" which was an ultra rare e-card only available as a promo in Japanese manga shops, you couldn't even take the card home, the player was only allowed to scan it. Due to this, it was the only SMB 3 e-reader level which wasn't emulated and made available as a printable e-reader file like the other stages. It's a great little stage, I still haven't been able to get all 5 gold coins on it.

90sRobots

Got SMB4A today. As someone who spent quite a bit of money a few years ago collecting and buying all the complete sets of the American SMB 3 e-cards, having all of the U.S. e-levels plus the Japanese levels is a bargain and a huge bonus well worth the $7.99. Until now, emulated and region converted printable e-reader files were the only way to enjoy the Japanese stages on an American copy of the game. Also, as said before, "No Time to Dawdle" is based on "Mad Dash" which was an ultra rare e-card only available as a promo in Japanese manga shops, you couldn't even take the card home, the player was only allowed to scan it. Due to this, it was the only SMB 3 e-reader level which wasn't emulated and made available as a printable e-reader file like the other stages. It's a great little stage, I still haven't been able to get all 5 gold coins on it.

I had no idea about the exclusive manga shop level. I'm grateful for all of this, but then again that's my role as a Nintendo fan. All this shit was already in the cartridge and it took 11 years to (legally) get it all in one place.

BooJoh

I had no idea about the exclusive manga shop level. I'm grateful for all of this, but then again that's my role as a Nintendo fan. All this shit was already in the cartridge and it took 11 years to (legally) get it all in one place.

I'm not an expert on the situation, but I don't think the levels were on the cart. The levels were printed as data on the e-Reader card codes and then saved to the cart upon scanning. If they were stored on the cart they would've been unlocked via Gameshark/etc ages ago.

90sRobots

I'm not an expert on the situation, but I don't think the levels were on the cart. The levels were printed as data on the e-Reader card codes and then saved to the cart upon scanning. If they were stored on the cart they would've been unlocked via Gameshark/etc ages ago.

I'd gladly eat my words if that was the case. I guess Amiibo would be regressive in that respect. All those patterns in Yoshi Wooly World already exist on the disc, for example.

Yoshi Wooly World > Super Mario Maker

Pokemaniac

I'd gladly eat my words if that was the case. I guess Amiibo would be regressive in that respect. All those patterns in Yoshi Wooly World already exist on the disc, for example.

To be fair, amiibo (at least current ones) actually only have marginally more storage than an e-reader card. A few kilobytes isn't enough space to store meaningful content for modern games. A Mario level for a GBA game would almost certainly fit in a few kilobytes. Fancy yoshi patterns for a Wii U game would not.

Actually thanks to this poster I just found out the level I mentioned was eventually emulated, they were able to finally obtain a cart which had the manga shop level saved and dumped it, unfortunately it went under the radar and didn't much attention:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=192919832

No, the levels were not on the cart, there is no way to get them without the data on the cards, this has been confirmed many times. The SMB 3 e-cards were in essence real DLC.

Platy

But amiibo existingis the only way to get

tnKWfSC.png

colinp

Banned
On the eshop webpage it says Bayonetta 2 is $30, but on the WiiU eshop it's $50. Is that right? Do we need to wait until the Feb 19 re-release to get the download version for 30?

TheMoon

On the eshop webpage it says Bayonetta 2 is $30, but on the WiiU eshop it's $50. Is that right? Do we need to wait until the Feb 19 re-release to get the download version for 30?

Yes.

Bayonetta 2 is also effectively $30 if you also buy Bayonetta 1 since both together also discount in a way that makes the total sum be $60 for both together in the end.

foltzie1

Yes.

Bayonetta 2 is also effectively $30 if you also buy Bayonetta 1 since both together also discount in a way that makes the total sum be $60 for both together in the end.

I'm curious if this will change the eshop price or discount for Bayonetta 1.

maxcriden

Were you playing the regular game? He plays just like Mario in vanilla SMB3

Nope, it was definitely SMA4: SMB3. That was my primary method of playing the game and I only played it through for the first time 2-3 years ago. I only ever played or watched SMB3 maaaaaybe as a kid at an annual New Year's Day party when that game would get busted out. I think it was that. Might've been SMW tho. (Or All-Stars.)

Chrom

What are the prices for the EO games? On mobile, can't access the eShop ATM.

Not sure if you still need these, but EOU is $9.99 and EOU2 is $39.99 currently. EO4 isn't on sale, but it's $29.99. Sale prices are in effect until next Monday.

Weird that FFEX not only doesn't have preload in NA but wasn't listed on the PR and doesn't even have an eShop page yet.

Final Fantasy Explorers not having preload in NA isn't as weird as it seems when you consider that NA has yet to start offering preloads for any third party game. Nintendo has only started to offer preloads in EU with Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden back in October and this is the only other third party game thus far that's had it as well in that particular region.

Sure, you could say it's weird at face value that they apparently aren't offering preloading for the game in NA too, but until third party games start getting preloads in NA, I wouldn't make it an expectation.

The game not showing up on the eShop at all when the release is in three days is definitely weird though, I agree.

Top Bottom